Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

I just graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA, and only took the highest courses offered (AP classes). Of course the AP classes were weighted when figured into my GPA, but apparently my school has the best AP teachers and most rigorous coursework in the area, so I'd say that I earned that 4.0. Hehe.

Now I'm off to the University of North Texas next semester.
:D
Where is that? Do you mean UT?

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just got report card! Luckily I live in a country where grading isnt done retardedly.

Calculus and Vectors - 93
Advanced Functions - 93
English - 90 [got the award for top in the class of 197 students]
Philosophy - 90
Music - 91
Compsci - 92
Chemistry - 92

nothing below 90, pretty happy about that :)

June SAT scores came out today.

06/2009 SAT Reasoning Test
SECTION SCORE PERCENTILE
Critical Reading 650 90%
Math 620 80%
Writing 580 77%
Multiple Choice 59 (score range: 20-80)
Essay 8 (score range: 2-12)
Total: 1850
Not exactly what I was expecting, but decentish, I suppose.

Apparently ACT scores (without writing) are out, too

Composite: 30 (96th Percentile)
English: 32
Mathematics: 25
Reading: 30
Science: 33

Your ACT scores appear to be much better, except for you math scores, but they're close enough. You should submit both scores to colleges, as I know some large ones will in fact mix and match ACT scores with SAT scores :)

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think I beat everyone :)

700 CR
770 Math
800 Writing (9 essay)

Kinda ticked at the math score cause I could've gotten perfect if not for one mistake and get 2300. Really happy though cause al the practice tests I've been doing predicted me a 2000-2100.

Eraddd

One Pixel
I'm going to invent a tool that lets me stab ppl through the interwebz.

JK Nice score :D

800 physics boy here ;)

I win on test scores.

36 ACT, 36 in all sections.

800 SAT Math
800 SAT Critical Reading
750 Writing (fucking Essay I hate it)

Of course I still have a 2.7 GPA cause I'm lazy as fuck and too unmotivated to actually do homework. When I start learning something I learn it quickly but before I really master it I get bored and then sorta move on to other topics, and that really screwed me over in terms of colleges. I just finished senior year, and I'll be a freshman at Illinois Wesleyan University next year, which isn't as nice as I'd have liked.

I had a 3.5 GPA through senior year though so if I can work on motivating myself I should be able to transfer pretty easily. How do things like ACT and SAT work when you're transferring after freshman year?

Eraddd

One Pixel
I win on test scores.

36 ACT, 36 in all sections.

800 SAT Math
800 SAT Critical Reading
750 Writing (fucking Essay I hate it)

Of course I still have a 2.7 GPA cause I'm lazy as fuck and too unmotivated to actually do homework. When I start learning something I learn it quickly but before I really master it I get bored and then sorta move on to other topics, and that really screwed me over in terms of colleges. I just finished senior year, and I'll be a freshman at Illinois Wesleyan University next year, which isn't as nice as I'd have liked.

I had a 3.5 GPA through senior year though so if I can work on motivating myself I should be able to transfer pretty easily. How do things like ACT and SAT work when you're transferring after freshman year?
That is a fucking awesome score.

Say hello to Harvard for me.

Edit: Oh nvm, you're already in college.

Hmm if you apply yourself, you probably would be able to transfer to Ivies easily, looking at your scores.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
just got report card! Luckily I live in a country where grading isnt done retardedly.
For now, these are the final grade for my 8 grade 12 courses:

Advanced Functions - 70%
Data Management - 86%
English - 82%
Exercise Science - 80%

Calculus & Vectors - 80%
Spanish - 81%
Writer's Craft - 82%
Biology - 73%

I usually don't get shit under 80%, but this year I was just lazy as hell and ended up not getting honours either semester (I took Exercise Science the year before, so that wasn't in my average for either semester).

Advanced Functions was legitimately very difficult, and unfortunately, while my teacher is helpful, he's not very good at teaching in front of the class. The reason being that while he teaches very well, he spent more time yelling at us when we couldn't answer a question than doing actual teaching. I did have rather bad study habits for tests in this class though...

Biology was just my own laziness. My teacher was pretty good, but I'm not gonna lie, I really do wish his notes weren't just a bunch of diagrams that we were expected to understand. The thing that really killed me in this class were multiple choice questions, and labeling diagrams. I always did very well on the long answer questions for tests, but those two other sections were a consistent nightmare.

My 2nd semester marks were almost all higher before the exams, but I didn't do very well on the exams, and unfortunately I paid the price, as they each went down by 3% (except Spanish which stayed exactly the same).

I guess my scholarship average is ~82% (average of top 6 courses), which isn't bad, though it unfortunately wouldn't get me much of a scholarship. I am going back to high school for a whole extra year to take Physics 11/12, Environmental Science (11), Earth & Space Science, Chemistry, and Food & Nutrition. Hopefully the grade 12 courses out of that bunch can raise that average.

I've only taken one SAT II, 800 on World History.

There are a ton of people taking IB courses. What are your opinions on it? Is it more worth it than AP classes? I'd highly appreciate the input.

This is what's on my transcript. Basically a little worse than expected, but still good:

Advanced Functions (took it last year) - 92
Chemistry - 94
Calculus and Vectors - 95
French - 93
Physics - 90
Computer and Information Science - 92
English - 88
Philosophy - 90

which is a 91.75 average over 8 courses, and a 92 average over the 6 I need to submit to university. This, expectedly, puts me in the mid-range of the people who got into my program.

After getting a 3.3 fall semester of last year and thus getting my scholarship put on probation, I have scraped a 3.5 this past semester and made it back on the Dean's List. Go me!

B A A A A A B like a 3.8 i think i forget, next year ill be taking Bio AP,Chem AP,Physics GT, English 11 AP, World history AP, Spanish 3 Honores, Calculus AP

im planning on either going to Duke Princeton or Cornell either will do, and im in a top Prepschool and sick at Lacrosse! yahh boy im going somewhere and if lacrosse doesnt work out ima just end up being some doctor

This, expectedly, puts me in the mid-range of the people who got into my program.
92% is mid-range? What the hell, is that for engineering?

Also Bogolo, Eviro/Food&Nutrition will without a doubt raise your average substantially. I got a 92% in F&N without even really doing anything, and a 72% in Enviro a year ago despite only handing in about 3/4 of the work. I don't ever remember being awake in that class actually.

Anyone at University College at UofT?

I just got results back from my first year undergraduate. The exams went:
3 firsts
2 2:1's
AND THEN BAM! A third, which pulled my average 4 marks from a first. However, the first year is just pass or fail so I'm thinking I might reward some of my brain cells by drowning them in spirits.

I managed a 3.3 with only one C+ for my first year at Northwestern. Tough ass school and I probably couldn't have hoped for anything better with my work ethic.

I just got results back from
my first year undergraduate. The exams went:
3 firsts
2 2:1's
AND THEN BAM! A third, which pulled my average 4 marks from a first. However, the first year is just pass or fail so I'm thinking I might reward some of my brain cells by drowning them in spirits.
Sir, you would not be fit to proclaim yourself a student if you didn't.

It surprises me how incredibly high marks are here

In my school here in Belgium the very best student of the final grade had an average of 78% while mine was all just over half (a few below too)

Are schools in America that easy? Or is everyone just lying here? As i can't believe that this place is filled with genuises

92% is mid-range? What the hell, is that for engineering?

Anyone at University College at UofT?

Yeah, I'm going into Engineering Science at UofT next year, and the absolute cutoff for entrance is like 88, while they claim 92 is the average mark of applicants. It's apparently one of the highest cutoffs amung undergrad programs in Canada, along with some of the more prestigious Commerce programs, I suppose.

I'll be res'ing at St. Michael's College next year though, I'm assuming you'll be at University?

It surprises me how incredibly high marks are here

In my school here in Belgium the very best student of the final grade had an average of 78% while mine was all just over half (a few below too)

Are schools in America that easy? Or is everyone just lying here? As i can't believe that this place is filled with genuises
Probably grade inflation. In college, grades are not nearly as high.

That is why class rank is usually more important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)