Gen IV & Beyond Remakes - Is There A Demand?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Come to think of it. Gen V was unusual for the "third version" being sequels and for no remakes. And the National dex is now complete between the games, I'm startng to wonder what the possibly of a third Kalos game is?
It's practically guaranteed to happen. I'd expect an announcement to come in March-May, with a release before Christmas sometime next year.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Not necessarily. There is often a gap between releases with a generation, if Gens III-V set any precedent.
That's what I thought too. But XY came out unusually soon after BW2, and ORAS came out unusually soon after XY. It seems like they have sped up the game release schedule a little. Hopefully, that doesn't mean they're sacrificing game elements for the sake of schedule...

That's what I thought too. But XY came out unusually soon after BW2, and ORAS came out unusually soon after XY. It seems like they have sped up the game release schedule a little. Hopefully, that doesn't mean they're sacrificing game elements for the sake of schedule...
Didn't they nix the Battle Frontier fro ORAS?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
That's exactly what I was referring to. Time will tell if it will be a one-time happening or a more regular occurrence...

Namely, nixing the Battle Frontier really dulls the replayability of ORAS, so that it will feel "stale" by the time the next game comes out. Just as XY had become a little boring when ORAS came out, and gave us the freshness we craved. But ORAS can't overshadow its successor, since that would hamper sales. Luckily, though, the last game in a generation has traditionally been the replayable one, since no matter what bells and whistles it contains, it won't beat the sales argument of an expanded Pokédex, new moves, a new region and a new story. The "generation-ender" is usually replayable enough to keep gamers satisfied well into the next generation, which also buys developer time.

The thing is, I didn't really enjoy Diamond & Pearl. But Platinum is my all-time favorite Pokemon game. The story & game changes were such an improvement, I don't see how they would be able to do that again if they just remade D/P. It's a shame Gamefreak doesn't remake the third version of their games because they're usually so much better than the first two. It would be great to see Sinnoh again but yeah imo not worth it if the Distortion World / Giratina aren't a part of it.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Platinum is a hugely superior game to "vanilla" DP. I don't think anyone will disagree there.

I'd much prefer a Plat remake to a DP remake... Or a mix like HGSS did with the added elements from Crystal (which was surprisingly absent from ORAS). Unless there are plans for the fabled "Delta Emerald" (Which is incredibly unlikely imo) I think they missed a huge trick by not using the Emerald story line for the ORAS remakes. Having those elements in HGSS made the game for me, as I never played Crystal and it added an extra something.

A DP remake would have to have a LOT of extra stuff to make up for it. It was already 3D to a degree and it had a fairly decent set of Pokemon available. Add a few more fire types and it would have been a better game :P

A DP remake would have to have a LOT of extra stuff to make up for it. It was already 3D to a degree and it had a fairly decent set of Pokemon available. Add a few more fire types and it would have been a better game :P
So it really just needs Platinum's Sinnoh Dex. That was the weirdest thing in Diamond and Pearl. Why was there only two Fire-type lines (Infernape and Rapidash) before the Elite Four? Which is even more embarrassing since Flint only has two of his speciality. (This never affected me since I always pick Infernape)

Platinum is a hugely superior game to "vanilla" DP. I don't think anyone will disagree there.

I'd much prefer a Plat remake to a DP remake... Or a mix like HGSS did with the added elements from Crystal (which was surprisingly absent from ORAS). Unless there are plans for the fabled "Delta Emerald" (Which is incredibly unlikely imo) I think they missed a huge trick by not using the Emerald story line for the ORAS remakes. Having those elements in HGSS made the game for me, as I never played Crystal and it added an extra something.

The difference with ORAS is that unlike the other games, there were two teams, not just 2 legendaries. So adapting emerald plot like that would not ork as much (then again HGSS did make both cover mascots catch-able without needing the other game)

Still I think they aren't dumb enough to keep only 2 fire type lines this time.

That said now I wnat to see both battle frontiers in the DP remakes this time game freak

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The difference with ORAS is that unlike the other games, there were two teams, not just 2 legendaries. So adapting emerald plot like that would not ork as much (then again HGSS did make both cover mascots catch-able without needing the other game)

That said now I wnat to see both battle frontiers in the DP remakes this time game freak
Actually all they would have to do is swap what team you encounter at what point in the story. But honestly it's not the story of Emerald people were upset about but rather the removed features that were part of Emerald, mainly the Battle Frontier. I'm kind of hoping to make up for it they'd have the Hoenn Battle Frontier in X2Y2 (and maybe even remember to age the kid characters). And before you shut it down let me remind you that HGSS had the Sinnoh Battle Frontier in it.

Also on the point of DP remakes using Platinum story I think it's more possible. Emerald's story was pretty much a different story to RS, having both teams as the antagonist and them waking both up their Legendaries and you needing Rayquaza to stop them. However Platinum was just an add on onto DP's story, the only difference is with the ending and they can easily change that to the ending. How I'm seeing it, Cyrus summons the mascot Legendary, the Lake Guardians come and stop it, Cyrus Mega Evolves (or whatever they decide to do with it) it making it too powerful for the Lake Trio to contain it, and then Giratina pulls everyone into the Distortion World. In the Distortion World the mascot Mega Legendary's power is contained (being its a dimension where time and space don't flow) and so you solve the Lake Trio's puzzle, defeat Cyrus, and catch/defeat the mascot Mega Evolution. Then later on you can return to the Distortion World to challenge Giratina (and get a Griseous Orb).

And before you shut it down let me remind you that HGSS had the Sinnoh Battle Frontier in it.
and ORAS has the Battle Maison (I think having both would have been the best option IMO). That said, I don;t think there will be more than one "Battle Facility" per generation anyway, they might be exclusive to their generation. (hypothetical Examples being if Gen V has Sinnoh remakes then its frontier would be replaced by the Subway, if Gen III continued though Emerald then the games after it would have its Battle Frontier, and if Gen VI has V remakes then the Masion would have replaced the Subway like it did with hoenn's frontier)

Also on the point of DP remakes using Platinum story I think it's more possible. Emerald's story was pretty much a different story to RS, having both teams as the antagonist and them waking both up their Legendaries and you needing Rayquaza to stop them. However Platinum was just an add on onto DP's story, the only difference is with the ending and they can easily change that to the ending. How I'm seeing it, Cyrus summons the mascot Legendary, the Lake Guardians come and stop it, Cyrus Mega Evolves (or whatever they decide to do with it) it making it too powerful for the Lake Trio to contain it, and then Giratina pulls everyone into the Distortion World. In the Distortion World the mascot Mega Legendary's power is contained (being its a dimension where time and space don't flow) and so you solve the Lake Trio's puzzle, defeat Cyrus, and catch/defeat the mascot Mega Evolution. Then later on you can return to the Distortion World to challenge Giratina (and get a Griseous Orb).
That's what I was getting at in that post you quoted

Last edited:
So it really just needs Platinum's Sinnoh Dex.
No, Platinum was superior to Diamond and Pearl in every way besides the Pokedex. Play both games again. It's a shame we're basically guaranteed two versions and no Platinum story.

At the very least I hope they make Cynthia's A.I. high level-Battle Frontier quality & give her pokemon perfect IVs again.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Actually, even in Gold and Silver you could catch the other legendary... It was Hoenn that started the retarded choice of one Legend over the other... "Sells more games" I guess.

No, Platinum was superior to Diamond and Pearl in every way besides the Pokedex. Play both games again. It's a shame we're basically guaranteed two versions and no Platinum story.

At the very least I hope they make Cynthia's A.I. high level-Battle Frontier quality & give her pokemon perfect IVs again.
Platinum was incredibly different to DP. DSame over-arching story I guess, but a VERY different way of getting there. The entire Distortion World blew me away with how awesome it was. Playing just for that segment alone is worth it.

Nintendo can slap the Pokemon label on just about anything and everyone will buy it. With Pokemon Bank, and the fact that you can get every Pokemon besides event legends with just the Gen VI games, there's no more need for remakes but they already have the system in place so they will probably continue doing so.

ORAS left a bitter taste in my mouth. Pokemon is taking two steps forward, one step back with each new game. Soaring and dexnav are nice, but there was really no reason to leave out trainer customization or things like rebattling gym leaders, or Pokemon following you. I don't see why they include things like this in one game and then completely abandon them. The lack of battle frontier can be forgiven since they probably will include something similar in the inevitable Pokemon Z version, although it's really quite annoying of them to force us to buy the next version if we want that feature.

ORAS felt way too similar to the original imo. Maybe it's just Pokemons core gameplay that got really stale? But they didn't really change many of the Pokemon in the game at all (trainers/that can be caught) and that was a big issue for me. I'd support a gen IV remake if they add significant changes to the base game and didn't just cover it up with fluff, especially because Gen IV is my favorite.

/rant over

Reactions: JES
Pokemon is taking two steps forward, one step back with each new game. Soaring and dexnav are nice, but there was really no reason to leave out trainer customization or things like rebattling gym leaders, or Pokemon following you. I don't see why they include things like this in one game and then completely abandon them.
People have been complaining about it's removal since Black and White, but I understand why it hasn't returned: that's a lot of data for something that is just neat. Think about it. In Gen V, there was 150+ new Pokémon, combined with completely animated front and back sprites for each variant of it (male, female, shiny, alternate forms). In Gen VI, there was an additional 70 Pokémon plus Mega Evolutions. And they were fully 3D graphics.
In essence, in order to have following Pokémon to return was it was in HGSS, they would need to make a model for each Pokémon (plus shiny, gender differences, etc) scaled for the overworld and animated while also making the normal models for all those Pokémon plus their Mega forms. That is a lot of work and space.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
People have been complaining about it's removal since Black and White, but I understand why it hasn't returned: that's a lot of data for something that is just neat. Think about it. In Gen V, there was 150+ new Pokémon, combined with completely animated front and back sprites for each variant of it (male, female, shiny, alternate forms). In Gen VI, there was an additional 70 Pokémon plus Mega Evolutions. And they were fully 3D graphics.
In essence, in order to have following Pokémon to return was it was in HGSS, they would need to make a model for each Pokémon (plus shiny, gender differences, etc) scaled for the overworld and animated while also making the normal models for all those Pokémon plus their Mega forms. That is a lot of work and space.
Um, in Gen V all the Pokemon did have overworld sprites because of the Dream World. However I don't think they had shiny variants.

As for Gen VI, yeah, not only would it take up a lot of space they probably didn't have the time. The in-battle models aren't the same as the overworld models (the Pokemon you see on the overworld are different, most evident with Lucario who looks like a chibi version of his in-battle model).

Would I like to see it return? Sure, but I don't think it will. It was more of an additional bonus than anything else, probably did it because they were going to move on from the Gen IV engine.

It was just an example of my main point that GF introduces new content then completely abandons them by the next game.

Trainer or gym leader rematches wouldn't be that difficult to work in compared to 700+ 3d sprites, yet those are gone as well.

I just have issue with GF deliberately withholding content so they can just include it in their next game, at a 50+ price tag. Compared to BW2, ORAS and XY have terrible post-games imo.

Yeah, I agree that I was hugely disappointed that the Battle Frontier and Battle Hill wasn't used (they could have remade the Battle Hill to function like the Battle Chateau, which I've found extremely useful for leveling up Pokemon, not to mention getting rich).

They could've at least used the Battle Tower if they wanted to remain true to the original, but used the Battle Chatelaines to add that flavor. I feel cheated that they teased us with a scale model of the Battle Tower. Arceus only knows how the true Gen III fans must feel. If they add the Battle Frontier (complete with the same Frontier Brains), I'll probably be far more forgiving then the Gen-three-ers. If they don't add that to the Z Version, I wouldn't be surprised if the fans continue demanding for Delta Emerald to happen, until it does. And I couldn't blame them.

And don't even get me started on the lack of those possible double battles, or not being able to re-challenge gym leaders!

/Okay, enough ranting.

I think that there is definitely always demand for this generation, or that, to be remade. After all, by my experience, the generation that you start playing in is the one that you have the strongest feelings for. It all depends on if there is enough demand, to the point that it would be financially feasible on Game Freak's part to even bother.

Anywho, I think that what, if anything, gets remade next (besides the speculative Emerald, which I'd actually be surprised by) will depend on if the next generation used a new game console or not.

If not, expect a Gen I remake. I can see them also making it possible to travel throughout Johto in the post game, so it'll sort of be like G/S/C/HG/SS in reverse (or so I hope. I can't believe that they didn't do that for FR/LG!). That way, Game Freak can also tell the fans "okay, you also got your Gen II remake too, so don't expect to see Johto again any time soon even after we make D/P". If they're going to remake Gen I, they minus well go for broke, and remake both Kanto and Johto. I personally do hope that they do make a game where you set out from somewhere in Kanto, since I never played FR/LG, and the Red version that I got from a friend won't retain it's save file (which I guess must mean that it's internal battery has run dry). That would be for the Generation that is coming up: Gen 7. Either that, or there'll be no remakes for that Generation.

If Gen 7 is using a brand new console, then I expect that Gen 4 will be remade as well, which probably means in 3-4 years from now. If not, then I'd be surprised if we didn't still didn't see them during Gen 8's tenure.

Well I'd like a Gen 4 remake. A someone getting back into Pokemon way after it's original release and special events I happen to need 10 from Gen 4 and 3 from Gen 5 to complete the dex. So Gen 4 remake! Woot!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well I'd like a Gen 4 remake. A someone getting back into Pokemon way after it's original release and special events I happen to need 10 from Gen 4 and 3 from Gen 5 to complete the dex. So Gen 4 remake! Woot!
Wait, 10? I know Gen 4 overdid it with the Legendaries but there aren't more than the usual 3 Event Legendaries. So what 10 things are you missing from Gen IV?

With the exception of event legendaries like Darkrai and Victini, every species (including Deoxys) is available in the four Generation VI games. And usually each one will be released some how before a generation is over.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
With the exception of event legendaries like Darkrai and Victini, every species (including Deoxys) is available in the four Generation VI games. And usually each one will be released some how before a generation is over.
But will we get some of these Events? Japan has had Events for Darkrai, Victini, Keldeo, Shaymin, and Jirachi which we haven't gotten yet:

Darkrai was connected to the next Pokemon movie's Pikachu Short so we could still be getting it.
Jirachi had two, one for Tanabata (which we usually never get) and another for was for buying a Christmas wristband at a Pokemon Center (which being its past Christmas we probably aren't getting). Oh, and they were both Shiny this year.
Victini, Keldeo, & Shaymin was for that scrap card thing which I also don't think we'll get.

... I don't know who handles Events outside of Japan, like does each region have its own Event Department of something, but can someone go up to them and WAKE THEM UP (preferably with Wake-Up Slap)!

Finally the only Event Pokemon not to have been released for Gen VI yet is Mew (who was last given out in 2010), Manaphy (also 2010), Arceus (2012), Meloetta, and Genesect.

Thonght I'd throw in my 2 cents (or whatever the phrase is).
Gen IV, more specifically Platinum, was and still is IMO the best game of the series. Storyline, region, mons, the lot. I hope that when the remakes of Diamond and Pearl come around, so too does Plat.
A few small improvements I think could be made to the game;
A true day and night cycle like in Crystal. That was utterly fantastic imo, and despite the attached difficulties in catching certain pokes due to the cycle, I feel it would add a lot of depth to it.
I won't go into a rant on how silly I think mega evolution is, but I hope that the inevitable inclusion of it in a remake doesn't include a similar post game adventure dedicated to it that could otherwise add more true value and depth to a fantastic region and story.
As is commonplace in the series, remakes involve the inclusion of mons from other regions previously not in the game (everywhere you go there's a Zubat I swear). That's fine, but if my knowledge of the world is correct, Kalos and Unova are far away lands. Let's keep it that way. The pokes post gen 4 were almost all awful (I literally skipped XY because of this), if we're going to have any cross region migration, let's keep it limited to gens I-IV.
Mining! As a region without much traversable water, diving is off the menu. Mining however could be expanded upon. Perhaps a more interconnected series of tunnels running throughout the region, perhaps incorporating the Crystal themes of underground rough areas where people battle alongside services and NPCs?

Now, call me old fashioned, but I personally hate the direction gen 6 took the series graphically speaking. Pokemon was never meant to be the 3d animal crossing bs it currently is. I like my top down, somewhat grid like, 4 directional adventure, not quite like the older games (GBC); Unova IMO was perfect, it retained this old feel and had fresh, new graphics with 3d elements whilst remaining true to the traditional style of adventure. Spot on.
It will likely never return to this state, sad, I know, but one can still dream.

Yeah, 2 cents is the correct phrase.

Making Pokemon that only appear in the morning or night again is crazy!

I love it!!

Besides, there'll always be someone who will be willing to give away one on request, especially if you're offering a hatchling with good IVs and egg moves, if you don't have the time to catch one yourself.

I guess that I'm not old fashioned, because I want to see how Game Freak can really push 3D graphics.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Thonght I'd throw in my 2 cents (or whatever the phrase is).
Gen IV, more specifically Platinum, was and still is IMO the best game of the series. Storyline, region, mons, the lot. I hope that when the remakes of Diamond and Pearl come around, so too does Plat.
A few small improvements I think could be made to the game;
A true day and night cycle like in Crystal. That was utterly fantastic imo, and despite the attached difficulties in catching certain pokes due to the cycle, I feel it would add a lot of depth to it.
I won't go into a rant on how silly I think mega evolution is, but I hope that the inevitable inclusion of it in a remake doesn't include a similar post game adventure dedicated to it that could otherwise add more true value and depth to a fantastic region and story.
As is commonplace in the series, remakes involve the inclusion of mons from other regions previously not in the game (everywhere you go there's a Zubat I swear). That's fine, but if my knowledge of the world is correct, Kalos and Unova are far away lands. Let's keep it that way. The pokes post gen 4 were almost all awful (I literally skipped XY because of this), if we're going to have any cross region migration, let's keep it limited to gens I-IV.
Mining! As a region without much traversable water, diving is off the menu. Mining however could be expanded upon. Perhaps a more interconnected series of tunnels running throughout the region, perhaps incorporating the Crystal themes of underground rough areas where people battle alongside services and NPCs?

Now, call me old fashioned, but I personally hate the direction gen 6 took the series graphically speaking. Pokemon was never meant to be the 3d animal crossing bs it currently is. I like my top down, somewhat grid like, 4 directional adventure, not quite like the older games (GBC); Unova IMO was perfect, it retained this old feel and had fresh, new graphics with 3d elements whilst remaining true to the traditional style of adventure. Spot on.
It will likely never return to this state, sad, I know, but one can still dream.
Well, if Gen VI is anything to go by, if they do remake the Gen IV games they may do somethings you don't like:

1. Base the story on Diamond and Pearl instead of Platinum. Now this is sort of a 50/50 thing in my opinion as the reason they followed Ruby & Sapphire's storyline instead of Emerald's was because there was two villainous teams. Obviously this isn't a problem for a Gen IV remake and they could follow the Platinum storyline except make the changes to parts of the story which would be version exclusive (off the top of my head the only two instances I can think of is there being only one spacetime dragon statue and the battle atop Mt. Coronet (which may mean no Distortion World, at least during the game. Post game they maybe could throw it in as a dungeon for Giratina)). In addition things like the time cycle is a now permanent feature of the game, though I do hope they revisit the idea of slightly changing the music depending on the time of day it is.
2. The spacetime dragons will probably receive a form of Mega Evolutions just like the Weather Trio. Not to sure what they can do as they can do anything, though I'm more wondering what they would do with Giratina. Its a Pokemon with two forms, so what will they do about that? Would it be given two Mega Evolutions? Would it have one that combine both forms? Could it have its own unique stats compared to its normal two forms? Whatever they do I imagine that meeting would be hours long (if not take multiple days) as they throw ideas around. Oh, and finally, with Gen IV being the gen that introduce Arceus would they possibly give it a Mega form (820 BST, be very afraid)?
Also, considering the timespace dragons are essentially gods and Mega Evolutions would mean them becoming even stronger, yeah, I have a feeling them being able to Mega Evolve will be heavily focused on. Probably add in that the spacetime dragon wouldn't be able to create Cyrus's new universe without the power boost... even though in the original games they were perfectly able to.
3. Sadly, main games take precedence in marketing so whatever new region is out during the time of the remakes will have a strong presence in Sinnoh.

Yeah, I too feel torn whether I like the new 3D graphics or prefer the 2d graphics:

2D: With 2D I loved seeing the sprites of the Pokemon, in addition in BW they got the Pokemon constantly moving and in BW2 they started adding animation to even the trainer sprites! Also with the main series in 3D they could have the Pokemon Stadium-like games on the consoles with fully detailed Pokemon models. However with the games in 3D now they no longer need to make in-battle sprites, thus from Gen VI onwards any sprites will have to be fanmade (don't get me wrong, I've seen great fanwork sprites, but I would like to see ones professionally made). Also with how much time it takes to make a model only very important trainers receive a model, everyone else (normal trainers, Gym Leaders, Elite Four) are just still images (and now the villain grunts and admins have been downgraded to being still images). To me moving from animated sprites to still images feels a bit of a downgrade. And finally with the main series in 3D, what's the point of ever making another console game? That was the main draw of the console game, seeing your favorite Pokemon in 3D. But now that the main series is doing that, what does the console games have to offer? Pretty much whatever they originally could do on the console they really have no reason to as they could do it on the handhelds. Still, at least in the case for the Pokemon Stadium games its pretty much a dead series now (which, yes, also means the Pokemon Colosseum games).
3D: In 3D they're able to make the world feel more alive and make the characters more expressive. In ORAS I was quite surprised to see how expressive the characters were, something which they really didn't do in XY. Seeing what they could do in ORAS with the in-world models actually convinced me that going to 3D wasn't such a bad move. XY the characters didn't really move that much an I did think "you could have made this game with just sprites and literally nothing would change". However ORAS did make the world feel more alive as they worked with the in-game models more, having them do things which a sprite wouldn't fully be able to show. Also, I'd he lying if I didn't say the full jump to 3D did give the Pokemon series a new freshness to it, not only in graphics but also being able to walk around in a 3D world and not limited to a grid (though the grid still exists if you want it). And though in in-world models maybe lacking, the in-battle graphics look MARVELOUS and do bring life to the Pokemon and any trainers they bothered to modeled. This especially goes for the cutscenes that use the in-battle sprites, like Lysandre breaking down when you defeat him, AZ being reunited with his Floette, or any of the Mascot Legendary intros. And who knows, maybe the lack of models for the other trainers, Gym Leaders, and Elite Four is just because they were already on a tight schedule making 3D models for ALL the Pokemon and ORAS being turned out so fast. Now with all that done and no new game yet announced they have time to work on models for the NPCs, Gym Leader, and Elite Four for the 3rd XY game and for future game onwards. This is the first generation in full 3D, let's give them a bit of a break, especially with the amazing job they've done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)