Hardest Video Game Ever

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Solomon's Key for the NES was pretty hard, though I haven't played it in ages. I've never played battletoads so I'm going to have to give that a try some time.

Those GBA Zelda games weren't that hard... I beat them without guides, ever.
Oracle of the Ages/Seasons were both GBC games. Don't know if that makes a difference or not, but still..

Anyways, I have to agree with Oracle of the Ages. My best friend and I both had copies, and we would constantly play that game. It might have had something to do with the fact that we were in 2nd grade or something, but I remember that games taking FOREVER to beat. Mostly because of all the puzzles and the final boss was pretty difficult.

Besides that, I've played BattleToads once, and it's ridiculously hard. Didn't have the patience to get very far in. Definitely a hard game.

Also, Elite Beat Agents is pretty difficult on "Intense" mode, or whatever the highest difficultly is. Especially is you're lacking in hand-eye coordination like me. Very fun/silly game though.

I agree with this here, especially the first game. Half the time you don't know what you're doing and you end up at the end of the game with only one thing unlocked or something. Crazy.
Well, if you're going for 100 you kind of know what's going on. But I do know what you're talking about. Once my brother reached Neo Arcadia with only the Electric element. :D

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I can't beat any transformers game for DS. It is impossible
lol, ever tried Transformers for NES (transformers convoy no nazo)? THAT game is impossible. In fact, my brother tried beating the game using savestates, and he said that once you beat the last stage, it just restarts the stage again. It's like they never planned for anyone to beat the game. Honestly, I can't understand why Ultra Magnus would die in 1 hit from absolutely anything in the game, but for whatever reason, he does...

Not to mention, the game itself isn't very good. The only good thing about the game is the music in the first stage.

Idk the oracle games are some of my favorite Zelda games, I got stuck at some points, but it wasn't over the top hard. To this date both of them are the games I have played and beaten the most, something like 18+ playthroughs for both, I still beat seasons every summer as a tradition lol.

Kirby Super Star is probably the hardest DS game I've played. Hours upon hours of practising against the secret Boss Rush, memorising boss attack patterns and retrying countless times, only to get a gold-framed menu screen.

As for other games, the secret level in Cave Story took me ages to beat, and Tower of Heaven is relatively challenging, although not as much as some people make out.

It's been a while since I've played old school games, but nowadays the most difficult game I've come across is Demon's Souls. You can't pause the game, the enemies actually have a good AI that allow them to pursue you to death, and it generally demands your full attention or else you're screwed. If you know what you're doing, it's not too bad, but I thought it'd be worth mentioning anyway.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Assasin's Creed 2 is turning out to be a very annoying game for me. It's not that it's really all that difficult, but it's really irritating that the guards detect you so quickly.

Dude I'm going crazy. Last month I bought Super Castlevania 4. Then BattleToads. Then, at the same time I bought The Adventures of Dino-Riki and Home Alone for NES. And just today I bought Ninja Gaiden. I didn't do this on purpose!

Royal Flush

in brazil rain
is a Past WCoP Champion
Old Final Fantasies, the two Zeldas for NES, the first Metroid, Battletoads for sure... sometimes I think that games were harder because we were younger (and dumb), but nah they are really really harder even now.
I mean, you can beat a 3D Zelda without a single death, lol.

And oh I can't forget to mention... Doom. Nightmare difficulty. Scaaaaaaary.

Oh man, I cannot tell you how good I felt killing dracula in order of ecclesia. I think the easiest way to beat that game is using magic glyphs, I went with light and dark and fire and ice. I just lucked out in that light and dark are ridiculously good against dracula >.>

Also that fucking crab elevator bosssss, so hard the first time. It's much easier after you figure out hammers deal a hell of a lot more damage.

Monster Hunter is such an amazing game, but it really had it's moments. I die most often from getting comboed into a stun by monsters such as barioth and 'jho. But damn, it feels good to get into high rank. I haven't played in ages... but I have to go finish my barioth armour+ >.>

I'm playing super metroid right now, it's fun as fuck then I realized pirates kill me in like three hits.

Harvest moon 64, loved that game growing up but, takes way to much time to get the perfect ending.

Note: Apparently all girls love Harvest moon. ^_^

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hint: c down, a, c right x2

not too sound obnoxious (i consider myself an alright gamer but not an elite) or like a grumpy old gamer but does anybody else find that the current generation of games are just too darn easy? There's a trend among recent adventure/fps games where if you die, they start you again almost exactly where you died. On top of that, these games usually have an unlimited life system. There's no punishment for dying which imo is very...um...un-gameish
I actually had a discussion about this with a friend of mine about a year ago, and I agree completely. It seems that finding games that are hard but fair are hard to come by recently. I mainly play action games and RPGs, but even in these genres it seems that instead of putting in time to make a game a good mix of challenge, fun and fairness, devs are just "dumbing things down" so that the game won't be too challenging and appeal to a wider range of gamers.

Some of my favorite games of all time: Devil May Cry 3, Ninja Gaiden Black, Megaman Zero 1-3, Star Ocean 3, Phantasy Star (online and the originals). What is great about all of these games is that they strike a balance. They're fun, challenging, and if you die, it's probably your fault, and you get to start wherever the last checkpoint happens to be. But they are also rewarding, and give you a sense if accomplishment when you finally do get through them, or finally get that S rank. It just seems that gamers like this are getting harder and harder to find.

Old Final Fantasies
Oh yeah, I was playing FF1 (The original NES version on an emulator on my DS actually). Certainly harder than the newer ones. I died a lot in that marsh cave place. Although since you can always just put in a bit of level grinding, it's not truly a hard game.
I was also highly amused to find that in this medieval fantasy setting, you suddenly get a dwarf telling you he needs some TNT. So out of place... /offtopic

It seems that finding games that are hard but fair are hard to come by recently. I mainly play action games and RPGs, but even in these genres it seems that instead of putting in time to make a game a good mix of challenge, fun and fairness, devs are just "dumbing things down" so that the game won't be too challenging and appeal to a wider range of gamers.
Part of it may be that Japanese gamers supposedly like their games quite easy. Also I think a big factor is that no-one likes a game they can't finish, especially if that means they can never get large amounts of content (areas, levels, characters, showy weapons etc). Of course both those are what you have difficulty levels for. And then there's the rise of online multiplayer - probably devs are focusing on making that balanced, and don't care if story mode is easy, since multiplayer is where the "real challenge" is. Oh, and there's the cynical answer - making games easy and quick to complete means gamers are likely to buy more games.

Metroid: Other M is a very hard game. There aren't a lot of normal enemies, but there are many bosses and mini-bosses. Beating most of those bosses requires some special strategy that isn't apparent at first. Even when you figure out how to beat bosses, the fights are still hard. Also, the way to the next area is often barely visible in the game's dim lighting. If you play Metroid: Other M, expect to use a walkthrough a lot.

And then there's Hard Mode.

No some of them were "hit weak spot with missile" remember?

Good game though, the only time I've had to use a walkthrough was when I was pissed off at the detective shit.

I actually had a discussion about this with a friend of mine about a year ago, and I agree completely. It seems that finding games that are hard but fair are hard to come by recently. I mainly play action games and RPGs, but even in these genres it seems that instead of putting in time to make a game a good mix of challenge, fun and fairness, devs are just "dumbing things down" so that the game won't be too challenging and appeal to a wider range of gamers.
I think you might really enjoy the Monster Hunter games, They have a high learning curve, and won't hesitate to murder you on strong bosses, but finding the perfect strategy and weapon to kill a boss is really great.

Getting to High Rank feels awesome.

Digimon world 3 was Long,annoying and definitely hard to beat..took me a good few months to finish it and kept losing to every single leader several times..gosh I still have nightmares from flashbacks of that game.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No some of them were "hit weak spot with missile" remember?

Good game though, the only time I've had to use a walkthrough was when I was pissed off at the detective shit.

I think you might really enjoy the Monster Hunter games, They have a high learning curve, and won't hesitate to murder you on strong bosses, but finding the perfect strategy and weapon to kill a boss is really great.

Getting to High Rank feels awesome.
I've been wanting to play Monster Hunter for years now. Unfortunately I never actually own a system that the games come out for. No PSP, PS3, Frontier is Japan only (both PC and 360). I just have bad luck with those games, which is a shame since they seem awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)