Hardest Video Game Ever

I dunno how many people played the Playstation a lot on here, but they had some frustrating stuff there. Probably the hardest ones I've played in my collection is Treasures of the Deep and Jurassic Park. I've never had to patience to try and beat them, either.

Treasures of the Deep is pretty much a 3D underwater exploration game, where you shoot missiles and whatnot and bad guys and sharks and shit. You know it's good when it says "Bitchin' gadgets and gizmos..." on the back.

Jurassic Park was just impossible. No matter what you did, there was always other dinosaurs and stuff killing you just willy nilly. You can play as a lot of different dinosaurs and as a human character, but I've never gotten past the second level with either of them.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I hope you aren't trolling because LOL BATTLETOADS but Idunno, I beat BattleToads with my brother a long time ago and I never found it that hard, I haven't played in forever though.

Guessing you probably played some other battletoads game such as the snes one involving double dragon.

Because, no. Rare are the souls that beat the nes battletoads and those that did will admit they spent countless hours of trial and errors to do it, no exception. Worse, you pretend you beat it multiplayer when that's really adding a lot to the level of difficulty.

In short, you're the one trolling.

The Legend of Zelda : Oracle of Ages + Seasons

I challenge anybody who has not played the games to finish them without a strategy guide. They are brilliant but soo hard.

Also some parts of the first to oddworld games, particularly exodus at times.

Finally I'd put FF 12, which was the first FF I used the strategy guide for. The latest levels were a killer to anybody who didn't level up exponentially the level or two before. although once you beat that the final boss was easy

Ninja gaiden was one of the more frustratingly hard games i've played but near the end you get so superpowered it doesn't even matter.
The hardest game i ever played though was friggin megaman for original gb. I could not for the life of me beat more than one boss. I hated cut man so badly.
I have beaten it. trying to do it on the hardest difficulty... thats impossible the first enemies you face can two hit you =/

No dude, Demon Souls is harder.
Depends on you character, you can own up if you use a magician or a royal specializing in mage. any thing else GL pretty much haha

so you never played the high explosive spec op in mw2?
shit was hard.

battletoads was too i guess lol.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Finally I'd put FF 12, which was the first FF I used the strategy guide for. The latest levels were a killer to anybody who didn't level up exponentially the level or two before. although once you beat that the final boss was easy
Having played a Low Level Game on FF 12 and seeing that being done on FF 10 I can tell it's much easier to do so in the former than in the latter. It had a moderate amount of difficulty to me (fuck: Zodiark), but never outstanding. However, everything about Final Fantasy is just about preparation and strategies anyways. If you do that, and if RNG cooperates, nothing is too tough to beat.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But if you want to talk about more current games... Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is pretty hard (I gave up on it when I reached the third boss). Couldn't even tell you how many times I died.
Whoever made this game is an asshole. It's fun and everything, but when it gets hard, it gets hard. Some of the bosses require a technique to beat that you'll probably take forever to figure out (and even then, they'll just hit you for 60-something every attack and you can't heal it off because Potions cost waaaaaaaaaay too fucking much).

Order of Ecclesia loses difficulty once you grind a bit, but its hard modes are pretty ridiculous. I've planned on beating them for a while now, but I just don't know if I see myself putting in the time to do it.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I found Viewtiful Joe on the Gamecube very difficult. I love that game though, it's just so well designed and the stuff you can do is ridiculous (but so are the difficulty levels..).

I've never played Battle Toads, but a lot of people say it is incredibly hard so I'd love to try it.

On its day, Monster Hunter can be impossible, but only due to absolutely cheap moments of ridiculous attacks from certain monsters where it is literally impossible to do anything at all to get out of the way. If you're near a wall after taking a few hits, you're likely to find it hard to get out of the corner, and before you know it you've been hit too many times. Then, just as you escape, that last hit knocked you dizzy, you frantically spin the control stick to break free, but just as you do, the monster hits you again and kills you - which is promptly followed by the throw of controller.

Nothing else really comes close out of what I've played, but they'll be some out there I'm sure.

I challenge anybody who has not played the games to finish them without a strategy guide. They are brilliant but soo hard.
Uhhh... I easily completed Ages just after release, and Seasons not long after.

100% missions on Hard Mode for the Megaman Zero series are pretty damn difficult. In order to actually nail them you have to become so proficient with the game that you can play out the entire stage in your head. You have to be able to act on instinct the entire time. And there's always at least a handful of asshole bosses or a hellishly long/difficult level that makes a complete run of the game a nightmare. (I'm looking at you, Power Plant level in Zero 3). And don't get me started on the final levels. Of course, there's nothing like the satisfaction of getting that 100. :D

Also, Realism Expert Solo Campaigns on Left 4 Dead 2. There is no chance you're getting through that without dying.

I will most likely get laughed at for saying this but... Well I thought Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was hard and annoying as heck. The whole time concept gave you a time limit on your dungeon runs as well as various other things. Not to mention one or two of the bosses were crazy as heck. That worm boss I must of died 10 times on before I finally downed both of them.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Well I thought Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask was hard and annoying as heck. The whole time concept gave you a time limit on your dungeon runs as well as various other things.
hint: c down, a, c right x2

not too sound obnoxious (i consider myself an alright gamer but not an elite) or like a grumpy old gamer but does anybody else find that the current generation of games are just too darn easy? There's a trend among recent adventure/fps games where if you die, they start you again almost exactly where you died. On top of that, these games usually have an unlimited life system. There's no punishment for dying which imo is very...um...un-gameish?

As for the question in the OP, I'm a big fan of Mario Bros Lost Levels. I think it had the perfect balance of actually being enjoyable whilst being very challenging at the same time. I admit it's not the 'hardest game ever' but if you completed it then you're a good gamer in my eyes and it deserves a mention on any list of hard games.

For something a little fresher in my mind...just played through Sega Mega Drive Collection on the Ps3 last week (great game, go buy it). I'm a bit weird and I like to collect Platinum trophies. One of the trophies required that you complete Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. It's just Puyo Puyo with Sonic characters but in the later levels the blocks are coming down so fast you have next to no time to react and unlike on some other games (like Columns), the screen goes blank when you pause it so you can't plot your next move. The AI was ferocious...had to pull an all nighter to get through all 13 levels.

Advance Wars. Not the original campaign, but the Advance campaign. Try beating it without a strategy guide.

Other than that, try beating Knights of the Old Republic on Hard difficulty with a Jedi Consular. Darth Malak is a ridiculously powerful boss, it's not even funny.

Whoever made this game is an asshole. It's fun and everything, but when it gets hard, it gets hard. Some of the bosses require a technique to beat that you'll probably take forever to figure out (and even then, they'll just hit you for 60-something every attack and you can't heal it off because Potions cost waaaaaaaaaay too fucking much).
This, x100. The weird thing was that in Dawn of Sorrow, potions could be found all over the map and relatively cheap... when I saw the price of potions in Order of Ecclesia for the first time, I started crying at the thought of how many candelabras and statues I'd have to destroy for money.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
There's no punishment for dying which imo is very...um...un-gameish?
I dunno about you, but I dont play games to be punished..

The worst thing that can happen in a game is to have a difficult section that every time you repeat it, you have to waste 2 minutes getting back to that point.. It's pointless..

I dont mind games being hard, but being punished for dying ruins games in my opinion..

Have a nice day.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

?

hmm done. I do not remember either being hard. I might have been stuck and checked gamefaqs but I do not remember doing so. Zelda puzzles sort of remain the same throughout the serie.

There aren't really any hard Zelda game in my book besides perhaps Zelda 2, the Adventure of Link.

Also some parts of the first to oddworld games, particularly exodus at times.

Those GBA Zelda games weren't that hard... I beat them without guides, ever.

100% missions on Hard Mode for the Megaman Zero series are pretty damn difficult. In order to actually nail them you have to become so proficient with the game that you can play out the entire stage in your head. You have to be able to act on instinct the entire time. And there's always at least a handful of asshole bosses or a hellishly long/difficult level that makes a complete run of the game a nightmare. (I'm looking at you, Power Plant level in Zero 3). And don't get me started on the final levels. Of course, there's nothing like the satisfaction of getting that 100. :D
I agree with this here, especially the first game. Half the time you don't know what you're doing and you end up at the end of the game with only one thing unlocked or something. Crazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)