Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Just a quick one, I've been playing Pokémon casually since mid Gen V; before then I was playing competitively on and on, but mainly RNG abusing everything I could.

I'm looking at migrating everything I did on to Gen VI (possibly Alpha Sapphire), but there's still things I've yet to do in previous generations. My question is, is it worth me doing (legendaries)? I was under the impression that you can't use anything that wasn't hatched or caught in Kalos or Hoenn (ORAS) in competitive battling, is this still the case?

Thanks!
So for pretty much all official competitions, yes you're forced to use pentagon Pokemon (which are Pokemon obtained in Gen VI) but you can still use them in any other kind of battle (with friends, most of Battle Spot EDIT: in XY), so that's worth noting. If you enjoy RNG abuse, then I suggest you go after the legendaries you have left, since it's basically impossible in Gen 6.

Last edited:
Hi there, I just joined the forum and wanted to get into semi-competitive battling. I EV trained my first pokemon, Dragonite but am not sure what team to build around it. Any help?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hi there, I just joined the forum and wanted to get into semi-competitive battling. I EV trained my first pokemon, Dragonite but am not sure what team to build around it. Any help?
Welcome to Smogon! Unfortunately, you've stumbled into the single sub-forum on Smogon not dedicated to competitive battling. This is where all NON-competitive Pokémon talk goes.

I'll point you in the right direction, though: A question like that seems best suited for the Wi-Fi Forum's Simple Questions thread. Ask there, and they'll probably be able to help you.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a quick one, I've been playing Pokémon casually since mid Gen V; before then I was playing competitively on and on, but mainly RNG abusing everything I could.

I'm looking at migrating everything I did on to Gen VI (possibly Alpha Sapphire), but there's still things I've yet to do in previous generations. My question is, is it worth me doing (legendaries)? I was under the impression that you can't use anything that wasn't hatched or caught in Kalos or Hoenn (ORAS) in competitive battling, is this still the case?

Thanks!
So for pretty much all official competitions, yes you're forced to use pentagon Pokemon (which are Pokemon obtained in Gen VI) but you can still use them in any other kind of battle (with friends, most of Battle Spot), so that's worth noting. If you enjoy RNG abuse, then I suggest you go after the legendaries you have left, since it's basically impossible in Gen 6.
Actually, you can't use non-pentagons on ORAS Battle Spot anymore, that was a one-season deal. XY is still a go though.

I've noticed something odd while playing Platinum for the first time in a while. The time on my Poketch will change, but it always seems to look like morning, and I'm pretty sure my encounters are affected as well. Anyone know how to fix this and/or what's going on with it?

Are Super Secret Base QR codes linked to the 3DS itself, rather than to a single game? I wanted to get my Alpha Sapphire's base on my Omega Ruby, but when I made my QR code from AS and tried to scan it on OR, it said I could not scan my own base.

So for pretty much all official competitions, yes you're forced to use pentagon Pokemon (which are Pokemon obtained in Gen VI) but you can still use them in any other kind of battle (with friends, most of Battle Spot EDIT: in XY), so that's worth noting. If you enjoy RNG abuse, then I suggest you go after the legendaries you have left, since it's basically impossible in Gen 6.
Thanks for the quick reply :)

Do you happen to know how Pokémon Bank works as to whether I can still RNG abuse with the Pokémon Dream Radar? I'm looking at finishing off a couple of RNGs on there (taken copies of the data on the SD card at each point) which I haven't yet gone but I don't want to mess around with Pokémon Bank if it relies on the SD card.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Those are probably the ones worth mentioning. Please tell me which would make a reliable team. I don't mind adding a new Pokemon, changing movesets and EV training all over again.

Thanks in advance
While I've played the later gen facilities very seriously, I've never really put together a top tier Emerald Battle Tower team, and it's been a long time since I've played Emerald. So I'm not an expert. But I'd suggest the following:

Toxic Stall Milotic can be very good, and Dragon Water Steel tend to form a pretty solid core. I'd be inclined to say something like Latios / Metagross / Milotic would be a reasonable first draft team. Unfortunately, Latios really likes to outrun things, which it will do less often with a neutral nature, but it may still be your best bet, as the other Dragons all suffer from Dragon-type attacks being special attacks in Emerald. Still, it might be worth trying the various Dragons with Milotic and Metagross and seeing how they each play. If I recall properly, in Emerald you can get Dragon Dance onto Salamence by breeding a female Salamence with an Alatria (which learns the move by level up), so if you want some set up potential, DD mence is a possibility. Aerial Ace is a passable STAB attack on physical mence, too, since breeding for HP Flying is an enormous pain. With respect to other move issues, I'm typically partial to Thunder and/or Ice Punch on Metagross. I wish Iron Head were available in Emerald too, since the accuracy of Meteor Mash can cause problems, but Meteor Mash / Earthquake / pick two of Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Exposion should be solid. Thankfully, I believe the punches are frontier tutor moves, and so should be available. Dragon Claw may be a better choice of STAB move on Latios than Psychic because of its generally better neutral coverage, and Surf and Recover are also very appealing, but it probably will take some play testing, as well as seeing where the coverage of your other Pokemon is lacking, to settle on the best moveset for Latios, since Calm Mind, Psychic, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Dragon Claw, Surf, and Recover all have their advantages.

Best of luck!

Hi guys, i'm new here.
I have a question...
I'm playing pokémon Blue and i want to do mew glitch, but i've lost those 2 trainers of cerulean.
I know there is a ditto glitch, that works basicaly in the same way. but for mew i need a pokémon with 21 of special...
How can i found a pokémon, with this specification?

Hi guys, i'm new here.
I have a question...
I'm playing pokémon Blue and i want to do mew glitch, but i've lost those 2 trainers of cerulean.
I know there is a ditto glitch, that works basicaly in the same way. but for mew i need a pokémon with 21 of special...
Hey mate welcome to Smogon. The good people in this here thread will most def be able to help with that.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...released-for-the-3ds-virtual-console.3555769/

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys, i'm new here.
I have a question...
Check out this map of the pokemon that every trainers pokemon will give
http://i.imgur.com/18pYQcU.jpg

I've been playing Pokémon Stadium 1 recently, so I have a few questions about the announcer since I want to explore what kind of situations he reacts to:
-When does the announcer declare an incoming Pokémon overlevelled?
-What are the thresholds where the announcer considers an attack weak/okay/strong?
-What are the exact conditions for his special miss quote? I know it triggers on exceptionally strong attacks such as Hyper Beam and Explosion.
-Are there any lines the announcer says that don't appear in normal gameplay?

I've been playing Pokémon Stadium 1 recently, so I have a few questions about the announcer since I want to explore what kind of situations he reacts to:
-When does the announcer declare an incoming Pokémon overleveled?
The announcer will like comment on this during the turn decision after a Pokémon is sent out, when the Lv. difference between combatants is at least 5 levels. You'll probably get to hear it if you yourself send out a severely under-leveled Pokémon when the CPU levels match your highest leveled Pokémon (like when you have both a Lv 100 Mewtwo and a Lv 35 Pikachu at Prime Cup because you really want Surf Pikachu).

You can also get commentary if the over-leveled 'mon OHKOs its under-leveled victim.

-What are the thresholds where the announcer considers an attack weak/okay/strong?
Just an estimate from experience,
Code:
Weak/"A light hit"       ≈ 0-15% damage
Okay/"That's a good hit" ≈ 20-40% damage
Strong/"Harsh blow"      ≈ 45%+ damage, or a hit that drops the HP bar from full to half or more
The announcer will even comment on pitiful Super-effective hits, Super-effective Crits ("Ground Zero!" for one), and powerful Not-very-effective hits, too.

What are the exact conditions for his special miss quote? I know it triggers on exceptionally strong attacks such as Hyper Beam and Explosion.
Um, not sure what "special miss quote" you are referring to, sorry. Since you mentioned Hyper Beam and Explosion, I believe there's a line that's said when attacks of their caliber either whif or damage a Pokémon immune or heavily resistant to the attack.

Are there any lines the announcer says that don't appear in normal gameplay?
Well there is a line on improving Accuracy, but I don't think you'd ever hear it since only X Accuracy raised Accuracy in Generation 1.
Here's a Soundboard of what seems to be every Announcer line. I recognize all of them except the improving-Accuracy line, so I guess that's the only one that doesn't see use.

Hope this helps!

The special miss quote is something like "Ha, that was expected!" Or so (I only know the german dub) and comes with an audience gasp. I think it might come if you miss a finishing blow on the last Pokémon.

5 levels difference seems not to matter in Petit Cup or Poké Cup - I think there's a relative difference going on. The announcer also has a between-turns statement for when the levels are different (something like "Can a good strategy overcome the level difference?).

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How to register pokemon Showdown? :I Help please.
Hi there,
  1. Click on the "choose name" button in the top right corner and enter the username that you'd like to use.
  2. Once you play enough matches there'll be a message in the chat, asking you whether or not you'd like to register this username.
  3. You'll be asked to enter and confirm a password and finally you're being asked to name the Pokémon that they'll show you, in order to confirm that you're a real person.
I hope that information was helpful.

Last edited:
The special miss quote is something like "Ha, that was expected!" Or so (I only know the german dub) and comes with an audience gasp. I think it might come if you miss a finishing blow on the last Pokémon.

5 levels difference seems not to matter in Petit Cup or Poké Cup - I think there's a relative difference going on. The announcer also has a between-turns statement for when the levels are different (something like "Can a good strategy overcome the level difference?).
Huh, that might be a German-exclusive statement, then, because that's not a line I recognize in the North American version of Stadium 1. If there's a gasp from the the audience, then I think the closest line to what you mentioned is, "Oh, nothing but air!" You're right about it being used during times of crucial misses, though. It's a line you wouldn't want to hear often and stings when it does.
-----
As for the level difference...
I guess overwhelming stats could play into the commentator inclination to note the level difference between turns. Usually you know what's gonna happen anyway, should the commentator feel the urge to say,
"Can strategy overcome the level disadvantage?"
because that turn, the under-leveled Pokémon will likely get OHKO'd by an attack, leading to one of a few follow-up lines, including,
"Ooh, it was casually cast aside!"

I just did a bit of testing:
-oneshotting with an NVE move does not give a special message
-there's no Stadium 1 message for a weak SE hit in the german dub, either (tested with a rental L50 Weedle Poison Sting vs. L100 max stats Exeggutor).

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
If I am correct, at level 50, evs are useful only in multiples of 8 right? So, a mon should only be trained for 248 evs in a particuar stat?
At Lv 50:
IV is Odd (ie 31), then EVs/8 should leave a remainder of 4
IV is Even (ie 30, for Hidden Power), then EVs/8 should leave no remainder

So assuming 31 IVs, 252 will still give you the most benefits, and 248 will give you the same stat as 244.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
How do I make a thread or whatever it's called?
Go to the Wi-Fi forum, press the 'Create Thread' button, and then fill it with all your stuff. Just note that the trading of Hacks is strictly prohibited here.
Also check out some other user's trade threads for formatting ideas, etc.
It is recommended to make multiple posts in your Giveaway thread (often just marked "-reserved-") to allow you to expand in the future.

EDIT: Totally misread the question XD, thought you wanted info on a trade thread... Cod's got you covered

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
How do I make a thread or whatever it's called?
In general, just use the "create new thread button". We'd really, really like you to read the relevant rules before making any threads in any subforum, though. Here are the OI rules, for instance. Also, do a quick search to see if your chosen topic of discussion is covered in an already-existing thread. In general, we're quite lenient on thread bumping, as long as the bumping post is contributing.

If you're unsure if making your thread is a good idea, PM me or one of the other mods and ask.

If you were asking for trade threads in specific, I believe Legofigure11 got you covered.

Welcome to Smogon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)