How do you play Pokemon in-game?

^ ^ ^ lol

oh yeah, i carry around hm slaves too, but then again who doesnt, back in the day i used to try to catch every pokemon i see but now, on my hgss, i got too lazy and didnt bother, I'm sure I'll decide i want to raise up a certain pokemon in the future and itll bite me in the ass for not catching it when i had the chance to going through the game so itll waste some time for me but mehh

For SoulSilver I did a few things different, which i will specify.

. Since 4th gen I don't use TM's unless I can get multi's easy like with the pokewalker or can buy them in a dept. store
. I always use my starter till the end, nostalgia is my friend :)
. I fight all of the gym leader's trainers
. In SoulSilver I spent ten hours before each of the first 8 gyms

I have always picked pokemon i like (of course, i like farfetch'd, but i chose swellow) but in all the hype of HGSS i planned my team and spped ran. Now i've finished SS and i feel dissapointed with the experience of playing so easily. I think for Blk+Wht I'll play with only new pokemon, competetive, cartridges, in the end, we play this game for fun, not because we are freaks.

When I first play a game, I don't care about IVs and Natures. I pick the starter I like and I just catch most of the pokemon that I see. My favourites become my main team for the majority of the adventure. I teach them HMs when I have to. I prefer not to grind. I just do training on the go. I train up on Trainers and Wild Pokemon, but rarely stay in an area for long. I sometimes stay in an area to catch and train a certain pokemon, like my Nosepass called Nosejob. I caught Nosejob just before I got the second badge and I level her up at Mt. Coronet, so she would evolve into a Probopass early on. Apart from those sort of Incidents, then I just go with the flow.

I normally buy two versions for each generation. One is my main which I play through it slowly, the other one I speed run through. For Gen 5 I will do that. If I only get one version though I will probably reset after the first time and do the opposite of what I did before, on Heart Gold I didn't really do a speed run, but it quickly got boring, so when I reset it I did a quick speed run, learned how to RNG and other things, I played the original and saw what differences there were already so having a speed run did not bother me. I never make plans for what I will do unless it is where I will go/need to go so I won't be stuck and can continue with the game plot.

Mostly in games I just go through, not caring about ev's. natures e.c.t. I also always use pokemon I've never trained before and when I've completed the game (elite four beat, some of the legendaries caught) I trade my team to my main game (ss at the minute) So that I have as many different pokemon as possible

I just restarted Platinum, and I am getting a mostly Grass/Water/Fire team, although the fire is hard to get in Sinnoh -_-
Every time I get to, or beat a gym, I raise my team to a level of my choice (usually the same as those I am going to be facing.
As of now, I have (team only, I cant think of levels atm)
Prinplup (King Pin)
Budew (Worry Wart)
Gible
Luxio (Zephyr II) [The name Zephyr I had used when I chained a shiny shinx, so I thought this would be cool :p]
Egg (Egg)

I plan to use Stunky for my fire-type once the egg hatches.
As for a flying type, Chatot FTW, although im not sure where to fit him in team wise..

I choose my starter VERY CAREFULLY. It has to have a perfect nature, and has to be female. Then I go on, catching whatever, grind for levels, and battle.

After the E4 is where the business beings. I start to IV breed and EV train specific Pokemon for the Battle Frontier. Then the same thing for competitive battling.

Eventually, I grow bored of the same routine, and decide to monotype a team just for fun, and play with it for a while, or go random.

I'm pretty new to competitive battling so before it was all just about levelling up as much as possible, catching whatever Pokémon I thought looked cool and just firing through the adventure.

When I started playing competitively though, I tried to find perfect natures etc. until I got very frustrated trying to get a modest Magmar on Platinum, and realised that before, I was actually playing it the right way.

The real grinding can wait.

Well, out of all the Pokemon games, I didn't really do anything special for Crystal. I was pretty young when the game came out, I didn't know a thing about Pokemon (let alone natures and IVs and EVs), and for the most part it was all just a "wut" thing for me. So, that aside, I did have some sort of routine in Pokemon play-throughs. Kind of, maybe, not really. But whatever, I'll just drone on in this post and the lot of you won't read it, but at least I contributed. D:<

For all the Gen III games (RSE and LG), I basically chose my starter, went around, and completed the game. Like any ol' non-competitive kid would do. I always chose the starter that looked badass (Mudkip in RSE and Charmander in LG), and I went the basic hyper-offense route that everyone takes. Seriously, who in there right mind would use a Blissey in-game for a purpose other than Softboiled? After I sent my stuff to Diamond, I replayed the games. Once I knew about competitive battling, I only replayed the games to get good-natured legends that I couldn't find elsewhere (the Regi trio, Kyogre, that stuff).

In Diamond, I actually cared about the nature of my starter, but not much else. I ran a four-Pokemon team with two HM slaves, so they were pretty high leveled compared to a six-Pokemon team. After the Elite Four, I started EV training (but I never got into IV breeding), and after like 150 hours of in-game play, I finally finished the Pokedex. I think my Trainer Card for Diamond has 4 stars, which is just sad. Because the only one I'm missing is the underground flags one.

In my SoulSilver, I cared about natures and tried as best as I could to care about IVs, but I cba to get twelve Rare Candies early game and level up my starter to see the IVs. Probably the only game where I caught all my legends with good natures and in Pokeballs. <3

I don't replay my DS games, so I use an emulator for that. And I do the same basic setup, or I speedrun.

This post turned out to be a lot shorter than I thought.

I used to just bring over my favorite pokes as lvl 1/5's and level them up, usually the pseudo-legendaries, but now that I've started Nuzlocking, there's no other way to do it imo.

I play in-game "competitively" meaning set battle mode and no items. Makes things a little more interesting since the AI actually seems smarter throwing out Charizard against your Meganium and you get no free switch.

I try to make theme teams as well.. its better. I'm currently doing my HG / SS run with mono-water.

I grab usually the Fire starter and just mow through the game only grabbing HM pokemon. I always just blow through the game, but I play more for the online stuff not the in-game.

I try to make a balanced team but with only 3-4 fighters so I can always have my HM mules with me. My fighters are always my starter plus Pokemon caught on that cartridge (no trades unless they're trade evolutions). I don't worry about IVs but I do try to get decent natures.

I used to play as a kid with a whole team, and I stick to my routes :)

High importance:
-Getting the pokemon that look the coolest
-Always having the dragon type
-Always having a Vaporeon <3

Low Importance:
-Natures

lol am I the only person to use the respective ubers in each version? First time through a game I always use the main uber. Especially if it is a new generation.
Second time through, I will always mix it up though, by doing solo runs, mono, themed runs and other stuff like that.

I'm completely lame on my play through. I get one guy who I think is cool, usually NOT the starter (In the case of HG, I picked up a Dratini at the game corner) and power through the game with a one-man army. Before the elite four, I hunt down as many legendaries as I can to supplement my team.

I tend to almost always keep my starter in my party, regardless of the situation or the match-ups.

While playing HG, I had a remarkable advantage I never experienced before. Namely, with both Diamond and HG at my disposal, and TWO DS's, one of the first things I did was trade pokemon with myself. Screw the challenge, I thought, I just wanna get this stuff done and move on to the game's sandbox. Nothing quite like decimating Jasmine's team with a hideously-overleveled Hippowdon.

I used to play as a kid with a whole team, and I stick to my routes :)

High importance:
-Getting the pokemon that look the coolest
-Always having the dragon type
-Always having a Vaporeon <3

Low Importance:
-Natures
Vaporeon is a must. ALWAYS on LG except I have one, though Jolteon now for once...

I tend to almost always keep my starter in my party, regardless of the situation or the match-ups.

While playing HG, I had a remarkable advantage I never experienced before. Namely, with both Diamond and HG at my disposal, and TWO DS's, one of the first things I did was trade pokemon with myself. Screw the challenge, I thought, I just wanna get this stuff done and move on to the game's sandbox. Nothing quite like decimating Jasmine's team with a hideously-overleveled Hippowdon.
Same exact situation in terms of hardware, I have Diamond, HG, and 2 DS units. But I explictly forbid myself from trading with myself until after I beat the Elite Four, because I find the challenge enjoyable. And the Elite Four are only ever a challenge the first time you face them, so I'd hate to miss out on that.

And absolutely no power leveling or training unless I got too far ahead of myself and it's the only way to progress. I'd rather squeak by and edge out a truly epic victory, than than grind for hours and stomp them like they have a team of level 5 Rattata.

I did the same thing with my SS. But after awhile I realized I wanted to play it with the in-game pokemon, so I traded them back and restarted. Never got around to playing it again, so I'm still sitting around with a level 5 Cyndaquil.

Usually when playing a Pokemon game, I:
-Have 3-4 pokemon, otherwise I know I'll be horribly underleveled.
-If one pokemon gets up to say, level 26, every other pokemon I use must also be level 26.
-I grind like no tomorrow.
-My team usually consists of Fire/Water/Electric/Other. Usually dual-type.
-Lastly, I NEVER use the same pokemon again, except for starters.

i dont usually use the starters, after ive used them all once, i find them boring, but i try to go through the game with different NU pokemon and try new things

for yellow and gold when I was young I had to use a strategy guide.

in pearl I took my time and built a team as I went usually it consisted of infernape, 3 other pokemon plus 2 HM slaves, usually bibarel. then when I bought platinum I had basically finished the game already so I rushed through with my competitive team from pearl.

in HG I decided to go through the first eight gyms plus the story without any help, then IV/EV train a team and take on the elite four and the rest of Kanto with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)