hulk vs superman: THE THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hulk doesn't even begin to possess the abilities that Superman has... the guy can fucking turn back time. He's literally invincible.

It's not even a fucking contest... Superman wins.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Can we really not just say that Superman isn't super intelligent without implying he is dumb? I really fucking hate how "super intelligent" gets applied to almost every comic book character.
I am not a superman expert, or even a person who has ever taken an interest in superman, but, from what I have seen of superman, he actually is pretty obviously super intelligent.

I mentioned this in the Goku thread a wee while back, I feel like Superman is probably the smartest fictional character ever thought of, mostly because his writers didnt have the imagination to work out how to make a smart person appear smart other than making him always right all of the time, no matter how incredible the leaps of logic he produces. And also they made him some kind of super physicist.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Superman is leagues behind Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne in terms of smarts in the DC universe.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Superman is leagues behind Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne in terms of smarts in the DC universe.
Admittedly without really ever watching anything to do with superman at all, and only ever watching batman movies and the animated series, I havent really witnessed any reason to believe that other than the fact that they more or less just say it.

Ok, after a little bit of research, it seems plausible that a lot of my impression is formed by pre-crisis superman. So, perhaps he isnt so smart after that point..

However, he still builds artificially intelligent robots and creates tiny galaxies in his lab. This guy is fucking smart.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus

rebuttal, Lee?
Isn't that from the Marvel/DC crossover where the victors were decided by a public vote? It was nothing but a popularity contest that spawned a few other questionable results (Aquaman beating Namor and Silver Surfer beating Green Lantern being the two that stick out).

The Hulk would win because of two irrefutable facts:

- The Hulk is indestructible, invincible, immortal yaddayadda.

gogo marvel wiki

Superhuman Stamina: The Hulk's body counteracts fatigue poisons that build up in his muscles during physical activity. In an enraged state, he is capable of exerting himself at peak physical capacity for several days before fatigue begins to affect him. However, much like his physical strength, the Hulk's stamina does increase as he becomes angrier[190].

Superhuman Durability: In addition to great strength, the Hulk's body possesses a high degree of resistance to injury. The Hulk's skin is impervious to conventional blades, adamantium and vibranium being amongst the very few metals that are truly capable of piercing his skin. The Hulk is capable of withstanding high caliber bullets, powerful explosives, pressures extremes, falls from orbital heights [191][192], maximized heat without blistering, maximized cold without freezing, and great impacts. The Hulk has withstood the impact of a ground zero nuclear explosion [72][193][194][98][195][196] and also the Human Torch's Nova Blast [197][187], with a temperature of one million degrees Fahrenheit, without any injury. The Hulk was also able to withstand a planet-devastating impact near of the event[198], a planet-shattering impact at point blank range[179], and a mighty blast from Galactus[199]. The Hulk's durability, like his strength, is fueled by rushes of adrenaline while angry[190].

Regenerative Healing Factor: Despite his high resistance to physical harm, it is possible to cause the Hulk injury. However, he is capable of regenerating damaged or destroyed areas of his body with far greater speed and efficiency than an ordinary human. For example, during a battle with Vector all of the skin and much of the muscle mass of the Hulk were damnified. It took the Hulk moments to regain the mass and be completely healed[200]. The Hulk's healing factor also enables him to revert any physical transmutation[201][202][203][204][188]. Hulk also heals faster and more efficiently the madder he gets[190].

Immortality: For all intents and purposes the Hulk is immortal. Because of his healing factor that regenerates his cells, and the gamma energy and the dark magic he has absorbed that empowers him, the Hulk is immortal. A possible future persona, the Maestro, was in physical prime in spite of being more than one hundred years old [205]. In another alternate future it is implied that the Hulk's body effectively lasts forever [206].
- The Hulk's strength increases along with his anger and is, in theory, infinite. The more Superman fruitlessly beats on him, the angrier and stronger Hulk will get until eventually he is able to overpower Supes. The man himself put it best:

' Then why do you suddenly look scared? Maybe you see that you could be ten times stronger than Hulk, and it still would not matter. Not when all Hulk has to do is become ten times as mad!' - Hulk

I agree with the general flow of the video I posted in the last thread (here). Superman would have the clear upper hand early on but he's in a catch 22 situation - he can't destroy the Hulk and the Hulk's strength will rise and rise each time he tries. until eventually 'hulk smash.'

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since both of these guys are touted as "indestructible", wouldn't it just be an endless battle?

My guess is they'd fight for a while, realize it was dumb, then become friends and go grab a brewski.

Superman would be fine, till it became night and he stopped photosynthising and became slightly weaker. After all, Doomsday has punched Superman to death, so the Hulk could as well.

Lol wtf. Hulk wins no question. His power is literally infinite. When something is stronger than him he becomes more powerful to destroy them. Hulk can jump through galaxies. He can overcome any injury, physically or mental in seconds, and is stronger from it.

Hulk wins everytime and you are disgrace if you believe otherwise
Wrong. Hulk's power is only theoretically infinite and that is if and only if his anger becomes infinite. He can be defeated by someone - such as Doc Samson, IIRC - who fights in a manner to not anger the Hulk and wear him down. Of course, this is helped dramatically if the person is, say, stronger than a mostly unenraged Hulk. So, Hulk w/ infinite strength argument is only the theoretical maximum, and anyone with common sense who finds themself fighting the Hulk would try to not anger him, making this argument moot.
What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?
If one exists, then the other cannot, because if both exist, one would not be what it claims to be.
The Hulk would win because of two irrefutable facts:

- The Hulk is indestructible, invincible, immortal yaddayadda.

gogo marvel wiki

- The Hulk's strength increases along with his anger and is, in theory, infinite. The more Superman fruitlessly beats on him, the angrier and stronger Hulk will get until eventually he is able to overpower Supes. The man himself put it best:

I agree with the general flow of the video I posted in the last thread (here). Superman would have the clear upper hand early on but he's in a catch 22 situation - he can't destroy the Hulk and the Hulk's strength will rise and rise each time he tries. until eventually 'hulk smash.'
(stuff I'm not responding to deleted in the quote)

The Hulk has been defeated before. Asphyxiation. Make him lose molecular cohesion, then fight. Also, IIRC, there was some incident where his neck was broken and it did NOT immediately regenerate. Thor from the Avengers, The Sub-Mariner, and The Red Hulk have beaten him, gogo marvel wiki on that one. Not so "invincible" after all, by definition.

Also, you say his strength is, in theory, infinite. I do not dispute this, but I answered this already (response to kd24). Just fight in a way that doesn't anger The Hulk. See: Doc Samson. And IIRC, the question is not who would be destroyed. It is who would win. So what if The Hulk gets angrier if you try to destroy him? Calm him down until he's no longer The Hulk, and you win that way.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
sorry but the hulk is not "immortal" and whoever wrote that segment does not understand how immortality or regeneration or even basic biology works

i MEAN i know this is a "superhero" thread but REALLY

If he's so much dumber, Matthew, how does he always end up beating Lex Luthor.
Brute force, and too little Kryptonite to make buildings out of.

Also, there IS an alternative to the unstoppable force/immovable object question that allows both to exist. The unstoppable force and the immovable object are mutually intangible, i.e. they cannot interact and thus break what each claims to be. However, this solution probably can't work in the case of the Hulk and Supes.

And Swaggersaurus: ...see also Wolverine, especially during the 3rd X-men movie. Superman and Hulk are bullshit like that.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
three things never to discuss at a party: religion, politics, superhero match-ups

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Superman has a weakness, Hulk doesn't. ggnorekthx
Ignoring the fact that the Hulk has a weakness, (no anger, no near-impervious durability) while he's in his rage form he's not exactly going be able to figure out and abuse the weakness concept (he's only super smart as Bruce Banner whereas Superman is always at his level of intelligence)

Here's an idea. Put them both into Scribblenauts and have them duke it out. I have a feeling it will be like 2 longcats fighting (aka, neither one kills the other) but would be interesting for the first few minutes.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I am not a superman expert, or even a person who has ever taken an interest in superman, but, from what I have seen of superman, he actually is pretty obviously super intelligent.

I mentioned this in the Goku thread a wee while back, I feel like Superman is probably the smartest fictional character ever thought of, mostly because his writers didnt have the imagination to work out how to make a smart person appear smart other than making him always right all of the time, no matter how incredible the leaps of logic he produces. And also they made him some kind of super physicist.
But this applies to a hell of a lot of comic book characters. Comic book writers are clever and can come up with solutions in advance to any problem the villain throws Superman's way. This can make Superman look clever enough to come up with really smart plans at a moments notice. But again, insert fictional character here. It's not part of Superman's character to be that smart, he involves himself with a fair bit of science but in any good Superman story he uses other scientists as consults.

What I feel is a pretty accurate list of the smartest men in the DCU;

5. Gorilla Grod. I'm counting him as an earthling, but also his whole concept is to be mentally dominant over man.
4. T. O. Morrow. In a room full of his super science peers, only he had the tactical genius to take down Black Adam.
3. Lex Luthor. This guy is smart enough that he has actually gone through most of life without ever working hard. He saw the greater profit in marketing the work of lesser scientists. But when he has to get his hands dirty, he will learn any super science on his own.
2. Mr. Terrific. His super power is being the smartest man in the world. And even he thinks that he isn't as smart as,
1. The Atom. The man just knows everything and pulls it off believably.

Batman is not one of the smartest DC characters, he is very smart but his claim is to be being the world's greatest detective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)