Infernape

Firstly, zangoose is amazing, if not from a competitive standpoint. I mean, crush claw, and sheer badassery... god yes.
Also, starmie beats down NP nape, so that's important to mention. And i don't think bulky politoed has a problem with CC's or possibly even FB's.
A +2 LO CC from Jolly Infernape does 97.9% - 115.6% to 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Politoed.

tehy

Banned deucer.
But it's NP. CC is physical. Sort of the point, as he said it could beat it down with CC's. And i'm pretty sure it's specially bulkier than physically, so it might still survive a plus-2 focus blast 100% of the time.

81.51-96.35%= +2 LO boosted Focus Blast against Specially Defensive Politoed.

Don't know the exact chances of an OHKO after SR, but I'm guess it's quite high.

If Salamence can run Roost why can't Infernape run Slack Off? Slack Off would be good this Gen because of the increased amount of Sandstorm and Infernape's ability to force switches would let him Slack Off easily. Surely it could since the moveslot that takes up Grass Knot is not as important this Gen with the lack of Hippowdon and Swampert. Grass Knot's only good target now is Jellicent, but I doubt Infernape would stay on him anyway because of the lack of Sp. Atk investment in MixApe. Would the utility of U-turn be equal to having more longevity with Slack Off?

Edit: This could be his moveset:
Overheat / Close Combat / Stone Edge / Slack Off with Life Orb
Salamence is MUCH bulkier than Infernape. Higher in all three stats, and has Intimidate to boot. Not to mention the MANY good resists. Salamence, with some investment, can easily soak up a wide variety of attacks for 50% health or under. This is why Roost Salamence is good. Infernape struggles to take any attack for under 50%, and thus cannot properly use Slack Off. The way Roost Salamence works is: switch in on something it takes next to no damage from and force it out, throw down a powerful attack or a Roost on the switch, and then play the match from there. Infernape has almost no attacks it can properly switch into, can't threaten very powerful attacks (aside from super effectives), and is WAY too easy to force out. Slack Off Infernape just doesn't cut it.

I could be wrong, though. Feel free to disprove my argument.

Salamence is MUCH bulkier than Infernape. Higher in all three stats, and has Intimidate to boot. Not to mention the MANY good resists. Salamence, with some investment, can easily soak up a wide variety of attacks for 50% health or under. This is why Roost Salamence is good. Infernape struggles to take any attack for under 50%, and thus cannot properly use Slack Off. The way Roost Salamence works is: switch in on something it takes next to no damage from and force it out, throw down a powerful attack or a Roost on the switch, and then play the match from there. Infernape has almost no attacks it can properly switch into, can't threaten very powerful attacks (aside from super effectives), and is WAY too easy to force out. Slack Off Infernape just doesn't cut it.

I could be wrong, though. Feel free to disprove my argument.
completely agree, fire nerf and salamence / dragonite presence make infernape useless the 90% of the times

New pokemon like the new ghosts Shandera and Burunkeru resist both his STABs as well. Infernape though is still a menacing threat that is hard to predict, tread wisely when you face it.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Firstly, zangoose is amazing, if not from a competitive standpoint. I mean, crush claw, and sheer badassery... god yes.
Also, starmie beats down NP nape, so that's important to mention. And i don't think bulky politoed has a problem with CC's or possibly even FB's.
The best thing about zangoose is that he's currently one of Wolf's best super smash bros. brawl hacks. That's about it. >_>

Starmie does crush infernape, but loses outright to that ally I mentioned earlier so long as the weather isn't rain. Focus blast is going to chew through politoed. Nobody uses specially defensive politoed. Even then, you don't want your weather starter to take that much punishment during the weather war.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Wobbufett. As far as choice scarf users are concerned, he is optimal for disposing of them. Terrakion, politoed, Latios, etc., are all put in unfavorable positions against him. I also use him to abuse or dispose of rapid spinners since NPNape really appreciates the SR support.

In virtue of the new tutor moves, is anyone thinking Dual Chop? CC/FB/FO/Dual Chop would be a pretty big surprise against dragons, Infernape outspeeds most flying dragons. Ice Punch is more reliable, except against something with substitute... like Garchomp (although EQ pretty much hurts Infernape a lot...)

In virtue of the new tutor moves, is anyone thinking Dual Chop? CC/FB/FO/Dual Chop would be a pretty big surprise against dragons, Infernape outspeeds most flying dragons. Ice Punch is more reliable, except against something with substitute... like Garchomp (although EQ pretty much hurts Infernape a lot...)
Stone Edge > Dual Chop. Infernape shouldn't be staying in on any dragon that uses substitute.

Infernape does not receive Ice Punch. Dual Chop is actually kinda interesting against Dragonite and Lati@s for a physical option. Hm.

Stone Edge > Dual Chop. Infernape shouldn't be staying in on any dragon that uses substitute.
I can think of 2 dragons that do - MultiscaleDD/Sub/Roost Dragonite, and Sub Garchomp.

At the very least, it strikes me Dual Chop is an alternative to HP Ice for dragons.

It also has better accuracy than Stone Edge, so if you're going try for 2x super effective on the flyers, it's just better - no?

I guess the question is how often there's a non-dragon flying type Infernape fights... and outside of the Kami trio... I can't think of a lot.

haunter

Banned deucer.
There are Gyarados and Volcarona that only really fear stone edge from Infernape. I'd not use an unstabbed dragon move, with a relatively low base power on Infernape, when you have better options like stone edge and hp ice. Also note that if Dragonite has multiscale intact when you hit it with dual chop it takes 15,18% - 18,15% on the first hit and 30,36% - 36,31% on the second one. This means that it still gets a dragon dance. Dual chop might be useful against sub-Chomp but then again it can only do 28,49% - 34,08% after it breaks the sub.

dual chop seems interesting but will most likely get him killed against any dragon. you would need a scarf infernape to still outspeed a dragonite after the dd and even then you might not even ko.
stone edge still hits more threats and helps against pokemon that resist his stabs.

i like to say ever since i started playing on PS i fine infernape really useful against lead genesect, usually get the quick ko and make my match easier

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Since it doesn't have the power boost of Life Orb, Scarf Infernape should really just stick to being a physical Scarfer with Flare Blitz | Close Combat | Stone Edge | U-Turn / Thunderpunch. I guess special might work (maybe Overheat | Flamethrower | Focus Blast | HP Ice?) but physical is really the best option.

Since it doesn't have the power boost of Life Orb, Scarf Infernape should really just stick to being a physical Scarfer with Flare Blitz | Close Combat | Stone Edge | U-Turn / Thunderpunch. I guess special might work (maybe Overheat | Flamethrower | Focus Blast | HP Ice?) but physical is really the best option.
agree. with rain everywhere i believe its best option is to scout with scarf physical set. rain neuters and fire moves and focus blast has a chance to miss which can be bad when faced a pokemon that has the advantage in the rain.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I find ape underwhelming. It's great vs. Gene, but with rain spam, SR weakness, Lati weakness, and speed tieing (and generally losing it to) Keldeo and Terrakion, it's just unappealing for me.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Infernape isn't weak to SR, being part fighting. That's one of the reasons why I prefer it over Victini on sun teams. In the sun Infernape makes an excellent choice bander. Sun boosted flare blitz has a chance of OHKOing offensive Salamence and Gyarados after SR, and always 2HKOs Rotom while Latios takes 74,83% - 88,41%. Unlike Victini it isn't immediately forced out after killing something. Also, mach punch can be a lifesaver against RP Terrakion and can take out a weakened Genesect.

I like my idea of sun abuser set. The idea behind this is to get him set up as quickly as possible with sun, and deal heavy damage to the other team before they can really set up a whole lot. One turn to set up, then wreck faces in with max damage possible Infernape.
EV's: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4HP.
Item: Hmm... Probably Life Orb, or Choice Specs/Scarf.
Moves: Sunny Day, (or get a teammate to do that, and give him a better move.) Flamethrower, Blast Burn/Overheat, and Solarbeam. I realize that this leaves him incredibly weak to Gyrados, but in that case, you switch out. Flamethrower for reliable STAB, Solarbeam for water and ground coverage, plus the ability to spam a 120 BP move without side effects (and yes I know Flamethrower has more BP with STAB and also gets sun boosted. So it's really just for coverage. But its fun to spam Solarbeam. :D) and Blast Burn/Overheat for a 140/150 BP STAB sun boosted attack that will leave a dent in almost anything, though they are last resort attacks. On a side note, Groudon is great for Solar spamming because Drought requires no setup.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)