International Wi-Fi Tournament - 2012 Spring Friendly - WON BY JIVETIME

Status
Not open for further replies.
battles against FLASH?
well I didn't see that it find a battle xD
but i swear that the DC was by my fuckin' internet, sry for that, it seems like it would be a close battle :(

now battle against Ben7000 :3

Lost to bellanko in a good game, two mispredicts cost me the match. At least I didn't lose too many points since he was in the high 1950s.

gg hermanitoo jjjjjj:pimp:

LOL played with you? It was an amaizing match =D, since I predicted your sub in Latios the rest was sweeping with volcarona. GGGGGGGGGGGGG

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to echo Evans words here, I really am so disappointed with the amount of D/C issues the majority of players have faced throughout this event. I gave up, to my regret, early on in this tournament because of my D/C percentage which was something I had hardly any problems with in the past wifi tournament. I have been surprised more than I thought by a lot of players I held and rated highly with their actions throughout these events because there is really no excuse what so ever to D/C a battle no matter what the outcome is. I understand that frustration can 'hit in' when you players are continually D/C'd on themselves but its like a vicious circle and knock on effect to encourage more players to do the same in future matches if you do the same yourselves. Although I will congratulate the top players for their efforts I feel a bit resentful of this as I don't believe the results for this, and you can argue the past events, to be a true reflection of the best players. Lets hope for the next event Nintendo, TCPi and Gamefreak have something in the works to prevent these issues from ruining these events and creating rifts amongst the community.
Sorry to hear that, Lee. But this is exactly what happened to me last time. Only that rather than quit, I just decided to carry on and see how high of a legit rating I could get. I also really wanted to test the ability of my VGc 2012 team that had failed me in England and Paris. I managed to get 1900+ but the sheer amount of DC's against me caused my rating to not show (I did have a few connection issues myself, but none of them would have mattered in the end and they were usually when a battle hadn't even begun).

It's annoying, but I guess it can all be about how much you play for at a time and how lucky you get with your opponents. Because this time, while I've lost more often than last time (due to a much worse team I have to say), I've also come across fewer disconnecters. Although, I've only had 17 battles (11-3-3) so not much to base it on just yet. I've taken every loss (like a man!) no matter what. Even when I finally broke 1600 and I faced a good opponent who had just started at 1510~ and lost 20 points. I can't say in any of my games I have been lucky or unlucky, which is strange over 17 battles, because even at my most unluckiest all it did was turn a potential 3-0 into a 1-0 win.

I'm going to post my team soon, I was just throwing around ideas and I think a few of them will have potential and we might see more of it in the later VGC tournaments. But the way I've constructed the team is just shambolic and I deserve to be losing games. I'll probably use some of the ideas in a better team come July, as there should be a UK tournament then.

How are people playing with two carts I thought they did not let you register two teams? Do the carts have to be registered on different PGL accounts?

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
You can register both a Black and a White cart to a single PGL account. Otherwise you need multiple PGL accounts.

You can register both a Black and a White cart to a single PGL account. Otherwise you need multiple PGL accounts.
Yes but the tourney rules state you can only register one white or one black cart for the tourney not both, Maybe they just say that I never tried to register my second one lol

So I have one last person I need to out rank before the whole shebang is mine. I'm coming for you human!

EDIT: On goes my top 8 hat, my turtle beach, and my pandora.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just also faced ThePACO from New York, what an awful and weird team it was indeed. Needless to say I managed to 4-0 it with team:ee.

TPCi wrote me back on my complaint:
Thank you for contacting Pokémon Support. We see that you are inquiring about actions taken against players who appear

to be disconnecting before the end of a GBU battle.

We do have a system in place to track the frequency of user disconnects while battling. While this does penalize players, the main goal of Global Battle Union is for Pokémon players to have fun battling with one another, in a safe, friendly environment. Please try to enjoy yourselves out there no matter what happens!

We hope this answers your question and wish you luck in your GBU battles!
Lol EE, that reply is almost more insulting than if they just hadn't replied at all. Wonder how bad of a grade I'd get if I submitted that sort of response as an answer in one of my marketing classes...

Man I'm totally going to do that next time I know I don't need the points in a class. "I'm sorry you found problems with our product. We're not particularly trying to fix them, but we hope you like it, anyway! :)" Running out of chances but here's hoping the last semester has nice opportunities for this.
Well folks, any recommendations on how I should reply back to pokemon.com concerning this disconnection issue? I probably should just let it go, but at times, this tends to get personal.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just faced Uwe from the Netherlands (again possibly? I think I played him last time) and I DCed on him.

He had used Encore with Whimsicott previously, so I didn't expect him to use Beat Up... That put me on the back foot, but this guy isn't even that good I swear. He had a 1901 rating, which I'm sure he has obtained by disconnecting when he is going to lose, when his illegal strategy fails. I still only lost by about 25% health when it came down to his Machamp and my Volcarona, I stalled out Tailwind but Heat Wave did not KO and he had Rock Slide. If he didn't have Beat Up & Encore, however, I would have won the game easily as he couldn't have OHKOed my Metagross with Earthquake.

So yeah, there's a disconnection on my part, but within good reason. I'm sure he'd have disconnected on me if I managed to win, anyway.

Current standings: 17-3-4

Well folks, any recommendations on how I should reply back to pokemon.com concerning this disconnection issue? I probably should just let it go, but at times, this tends to get personal.
You need to advocate a position like the one I've staked out several times "In times of disconnects, the player still online default wins." This solves disconnecting issues for winning, but not losing (as losing won't go down... because they have no such penalty system in place).

To solve disconnect problems from losing, it needs to have a "participation" bonus for losers, not a drawback. So, say, it you get 15 points for beating a 1500 player, they should get 1.5 points for losing to a 1500 player. Then, after the battle, you're at 1515, and they're at 1502 (rounds up). Thus, playing and losing over and over again increases your score for the tourney. Meanwhile dcing wouldn't increase your score, so there's your incentive to not dc.

Will there still be DCs? Yeah. Stall teams suck. If you play me with a team full fo stall tactics, it's probably worth my time to DC - I can lose to 3 other people while I'm losing to you. Then benifit of a no-loss scenario is that it advocates playing more games.

MTG uses a similar system for their Arena - 3 points a win, 1 point a loss, players play for X hours, and the most points wins.

Re: Stall teams, I remember the strategy of playing control decks. Your job was to win game 1, then stall out game 2. Time is called, and you win 1:0:1. In the finals I remember seeing he's got a stall deck, and conceeding 1st game. I thwomped him 2nd game, but lost in the third - control tends to beat aggro... especially aggro elves. :P

So stall teams would be a problem for wifi tourneys like this because they're not worth the time to play against. And there's no system I can think of that would make them worth the time to play against unless you massively penalize dcs, which is unfair since some dcs are because of wifi issues.

OMG Mirka, so so lucky haha. Though I did make a misclick on the fake out but still if I didn't get parahaxed in those last two turns it would be my 1-0 lol

You need to advocate a position like the one I've staked out several times "In times of disconnects, the player still online default wins." This solves disconnecting issues for winning, but not losing (as losing won't go down... because they have no such penalty system in place).

To solve disconnect problems from losing, it needs to have a "participation" bonus for losers, not a drawback. So, say, it you get 15 points for beating a 1500 player, they should get 1.5 points for losing to a 1500 player. Then, after the battle, you're at 1515, and they're at 1502 (rounds up). Thus, playing and losing over and over again increases your score for the tourney. Meanwhile dcing wouldn't increase your score, so there's your incentive to not dc.

Will there still be DCs? Yeah. Stall teams suck. If you play me with a team full fo stall tactics, it's probably worth my time to DC - I can lose to 3 other people while I'm losing to you. Then benifit of a no-loss scenario is that it advocates playing more games.

MTG uses a similar system for their Arena - 3 points a win, 1 point a loss, players play for X hours, and the most points wins.

Re: Stall teams, I remember the strategy of playing control decks. Your job was to win game 1, then stall out game 2. Time is called, and you win 1:0:1. In the finals I remember seeing he's got a stall deck, and conceeding 1st game. I thwomped him 2nd game, but lost in the third - control tends to beat aggro... especially aggro elves. :P

So stall teams would be a problem for wifi tourneys like this because they're not worth the time to play against. And there's no system I can think of that would make them worth the time to play against unless you massively penalize dcs, which is unfair since some dcs are because of wifi issues.
I like your magic reference. I happen to be a competitive MTG player as well. But I think the real way to get DC's to stop is change the way their servers work.

The server needs to act like a translator or third party. So it would be easy to tell who disconnected since the person who didn't DC would still be connected to the game. Then give the DC'er the loss.

D/C should count as a Forfeit, since it's technically a forfeit. Although that may be an Issue for people that actually win, and their WiFi craps out.

I like your magic reference. I happen to be a competitive MTG player as well. But I think the real way to get DC's to stop is change the way their servers work.

The server needs to act like a translator or third party. So it would be easy to tell who disconnected since the person who didn't DC would still be connected to the game. Then give the DC'er the loss.
You're probably right - it would be fairly easy to give DCers a loss.

That said, the goal is to give players incentives to finish a losing game, not just to properly penalize losers.

I'd adopt your simple method for general competative play, but I still like the Arena-style "bonus points for playing and losing" system. Then even the worst player can walk away at the end of the week and say "yeah! I totally ended with 15XX!" rather than be depressed about their losing record.

The goal needs to be to have fun. And losing is not that fun. And losing and having less points afterwards is even worse.

Finally, I really think they should do more of these tourneys, and I think they should do prizes. One way to do the prize would be to have you "redeem" points after the tourney for a pokemon. So if you played a lot you could get 2 copies. The other, I think more preferable, way is to do a "participation" Pokemon (if you've played X games, you get a pokemon) and a "prize" pokemon (if you've played Y games, you get a pokemon) - where the prize pokemon is, say, a shiny version of the participation pokemon. Then again, I'd also probably want the participation and prize pokemon to be set-IV, set-nature, set-gender pokemon. Playing the tourney and getting a max stats HP Ice 001 DW Male Bulbasaur with an exclusive "event" move (probably a G4 egg move) seems like the sort of prize that'd get more players to play. And that's what WOTC wants, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)