International Wi-Fi Tournament - Autumn Friendly [OVER - Rankings Released Nov. 1st]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You are right - JAA (I should have known that, as i got 3rd on my qualifier)

2006 - JAA
2007 - Nothing
2008 - Showdown
2009,10,11 - VGC
There was also a UK exclusive tournament by the name of Battle Master in 2004 which was Double Battles :)

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Good thing I still have my vgc2011 team in my battle box as I'll be up for one last glory with this team, hopefully it'll make up for my round 2 loss at VGC worlds LCQ.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did anyone with a Japanese cartridge play in the Japan Cup? If so, did disconnections count as losses or were the same issues with GBU rankings present?

This is kind of a neat little diversion. If the disconnection control is somehow stronger than the GBU, this is something I wouldn't mind playing regularly.

Finally something similar to VGC that can be played by anyone regardless of where they live. :D
Now to make a VGC 2011 team...

Aah revisiting a meta I thought I'd never do again. Gonna be fum. I can't wait to see what strategy jp players use, as well as america/uk/canada. What I liked about the 2011 meta was basically EVERY pokemon was viable in some sort.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aah revisiting a meta I thought I'd never do again. Gonna be fum. I can't wait to see what strategy jp players use, as well as america/uk/canada. What I liked about the 2011 meta was basically EVERY pokemon was viable in some sort.
Do you meant wasn't?
=[

Do you meant wasn't?
=[
Well yea there were well terrakion, tornadus, thunderus, or amoonguss on every team, but I had some unique battles, and my most successful team revolved around using cinccinno( thats the evo right?), and bulky thunderus. Yep thats as diverse as that meta went.(well bluecookies ran some unique sets, and you know WON)

You do realize that doubles has been the format since 2008. It is nothing new.
How has it been the format since 2008/2006, when this is the first one ever held?

Anyway, I know how VGC is played. I was just disappointed that the first official tournament (designed for the English versions) sponsored by Nintendo would be doubles style.

Havak

How has it been the format since 2008/2006, when this is the first one ever held?

Anyway, I know how VGC is played. I was just disappointed that the first official tournament (designed for the English versions) sponsored by Nintendo would be doubles style.
He's talking about Official Nintendo / TPCi tournaments.

Since Double Battles were introduced in Ruby/Sapphire, since 2004 every official tournament has been Double Battles as far as I was aware (other than the Single Battle tournament Firestorm mentioned). Therefore, it is basically the standard format for official tournaments of any kind and has been for nearly eight years.

Not to mention this happened for Japanese players earlier this year with the same rules.

I won't be able to participate on the Monday (Sunday American time) due to TAFE, and the next day will also be difficult. How will that affect my ability to join?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yep. The Emerald tournament held in Seattle in 2005 was the only official Singles tournament since doubles was created as a format. Off the top of my head I can think of the following official tournaments, all doubles. It's the standard competitive format.

Battle Master (2004 - UK)
JAA (2006 - US)
Nintendo Sponsored GameStop PBR (2007 - US)
Nintendo Connection Tour (Various years, AU)
Video Game Showdown (2008 - US and JP)
Video Game Championships (2009 to 2012 - US, JP, EU, KR, and CA)
WiFi Friendly (2011 - JP)

Damn. Nintendo actually does a lot of tournaments.

I won't be able to participate on the Monday (Sunday American time) due to TAFE, and the next day will also be difficult. How will that affect my ability to participate?
It's just laddering as far as I can tell. So you can play to your own schedule in the days allotted.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well yea there were well terrakion, tornadus, thunderus, or amoonguss on every team, but I had some unique battles, and my most successful team revolved around using cinccinno( thats the evo right?), and bulky thunderus. Yep thats as diverse as that meta went.(well bluecookies ran some unique sets, and you know WON)
If I remember correctly, there was a point during the Worlds semifinals where five of the six teams on the side I was watching had the same two Pokémon out at once. Sure, there were a few outliers, but for the most part everyone ran the same dozen or so Pokémon.

I can't wait to see what strategy jp players use, as well as america/uk/canada.
Didn't Japan have theirs already? Also, this is excellent news! Although, I'm curious as to how disconnections will work out, as I don't have the best Wi-Fi around! D:

Anyway, it's a good opportunity for the Japanese to play since they unfortunately couldn't participate this year. As long as you're within the first day, I'd assume 10,000 spots wouldn't go that fast. I'll probably be there at midnight on the 12th, lol. Well, it's nice that TPCI is doing something this nice. I tip my hat off to them.

do you have to have access to dream world to play, or just random matchup?

finally, i can play my revamped nationals team to attempt some honour back

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Gotta be worth a bash. I might wheel out the infamous VGC Stunfisk which I probably should have used at worlds. Anyone who battles me will probably realise when they're looking at my team Signaturemon is always about for VGC 2011.

What's everyones thoughts on the numbers though? Yeah, 10K seems like alot, but I seem to have enough trouble finding a battle normally, let alone on a specific tournament. Won't being able to ladder revolve around being able to find as many battle as possible.

Do you think there will be prizes?
There better be, though who doesn't love some glory?

I'll compete, but I'm going to save working on new teams for VGC 2012. I'll just use my Newark Team. It may fail after all this time, but whatever. BISHARP FTW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)