International Wi-Fi Tournament - Autumn Friendly [OVER - Rankings Released Nov. 1st]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why this and VGC 2011/12 are doubles instead of triples or rotation? If they introduced doubles in RS and immediately did tournaments using it, why not now?

I wonder why this and VGC 2011/12 are doubles instead of triples or rotation? If they introduced doubles in RS and immediately did tournaments using it, why not now?
eww triples. In all seriousness triples, and rotations are longer than doubles. In overall doubles is the most fast pace style of the 4 styles of battling that exist

eww triples. In all seriousness triples, and rotations are longer than doubles. In overall doubles is the most fast pace style of the 4 styles of battling that exist
Triples is way faster. Spam AoE moves and it'll be over in like 3 turns.

But anyways....I'm confused. Is the point of this tourament to earn as many wins as possible between Oct 20 - Oct 24? So does that mean we have to play all day everyday during that time to be "the best?"

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Triples is way faster. Spam AoE moves and it'll be over in like 3 turns.

But anyways....I'm confused. Is the point of this tourament to earn as many wins as possible between Oct 20 - Oct 24? So does that mean we have to play all day everyday during that time to be "the best?"
Yeah, I think to have a chance at topping the leader board you'll have to play a lot of games. Depending on your win ratio I can see maybe 50 wins doing it if general ratings are anything to go by, but that'd be without a loss ._. Other factors are the level of opposition you face and how high their rating is as well.

I don't think I'll find the time to play non-stop all weekend, but if I can manage to fit in 15-20 games a day I'll be really happy. Assuming I even get a spot, of course.

Lucky!

Provided I can land a spot, my old SD team, with some minor changes to ensure it consists of Unova pokemon only, is eager to make an attempt at crushing the competition, an attempt that wasn't possible due to home(Glendale, AZ) being too far from actual VGC'11 for anyone in my house to drive me without schedule conflicts(closest regional city and state to home: San Luis, CA), so just like all of you, me and my crew will be waiting for the opportunity, and hopefully, they can achieve something that wasn't meant to be back in May!

Lucky!

Provided I can land a spot, my old SD team, with some minor changes to ensure it consists of Unova pokemon only, is eager to make an attempt at crushing the competition, an attempt that wasn't possible due to home(Glendale, AZ) being too far from actual VGC'11 for anyone in my house to drive me without schedule conflicts(closest regional city and state to home: San Luis, CA), so just like all of you, me and my crew will be waiting for the opportunity, and hopefully, they can achieve something that wasn't meant to be back in May!
that is a REALLY GOOD run-on sentence, i would like to praise you for your efforts, but also for your team, which i am so sure was excellent (i went to the regional), and i wish you many good returns, which you may or may not get, and i wish you the best of good lucks on your battling, barring hax, which happens to the best of us, but sometimes also the worst, which i feel is not you, so good luck, and may the odds be ever in, your favor!

this event sounds like a really good event for the b202 tutees to practice and hone their skills :O i'll have to brush off my textbooks

This give me a chance to use my should've been nats team if it wasn't for bs money hax. I can get in a good 20-30 games a day, but what about dcer's? I really don't wanna go through 5+ matches with d/c. Does anyone know how the jp gbu tournament went?

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
that is a REALLY GOOD run-on sentence, i would like to praise you for your efforts, but also for your team, which i am so sure was excellent (i went to the regional), and i wish you many good returns, which you may or may not get, and i wish you the best of good lucks on your battling, barring hax, which happens to the best of us, but sometimes also the worst, which i feel is not you, so good luck, and may the odds be ever in, your favor!

this event sounds like a really good event for the b202 tutees to practice and hone their skills :O i'll have to brush off my textbooks
Yes, a very good run-on, my english teacher would be astonished by the length of that sentence, so unreality should stop trolling, you are really mean because hes just trying to be friendly for this nice autumn tournament?

Rizzo's soul eating abilities work online over the interwebs didnt you know? :O

Jokes aside, I'll give this a shoot-haven't really practiced many doubles battles yet. Sucks its in the old 2011 VGC format but can't complain. Wonder what the prizes will be.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
This is complete speculation, but it would be nice if they could use this tournament to give out either points or byes for Nats or something. It wouldn't cost them any money. I don't know if they did anything like this for the prior JPN tournament, or if they would have the ability to determine who is who, or even how they could like hack check for this tourney.

Either way, bragging rights alone would be a fun reward.

I think a big problem though is going to be people disconnecting or hacking. Since I don't think Nintendo will be able to tell which player actually disconnected.
And I don't see how they are going to prevent hacking, since you can already hack on the regular random matchup, and it will be ridiculous if someone with an AR makes all your pokemon have 1 HP and no moves and their pokemon 999 stats.

I think a big problem though is going to be people disconnecting or hacking. Since I don't think Nintendo will be able to tell which player actually disconnected.
And I don't see how they are going to prevent hacking, since you can already hack on the regular random matchup, and it will be ridiculous if someone with an AR makes all your pokemon have 1 HP and no moves and their pokemon 999 stats.
^is impossible.

You can't use pokemon with abnormal stats or moves even in random match up, though I don't knpw what there gonna do for people that use hacked mons(illegal ways to obtain things).

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
From what I can tell, in the Japanese version they threatened to exclude from the final rankings people who disconnect too much. I don't know if they actually followed through on the threat or what they considered "too much". Maybe the threat alone was enough to get most people to not try it.

In ordinary situations I'd say it wouldn't discourage people at all; the threat that a person's rating might go down if he D/Cd very much did not seem to do anything. However, something that is such a relatively rare opportunity might beget more sportsmanlike behavior from the players, more likely for the sake of not missing out on something big than for the sake of sportsmanship.

This sounds amazing but to only have 10,000 spots worldwide over the course of a couple of days entry? that sounds sketchy as i went to a couple of northeast regionals and with all the people combined for new jersey it was like 1000 people. Oh well if i get a spot its on

By the way does the global battle union have any built in hack checks? I would hate to go against a sturdy shedinja

There's a lot of deleted posts on this page, so this is just a reminder that we don't answer questions about the hackcheck here and if you ask your post will get deleted and you may be warned for asking. If you aren't sure if you should be doing something, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Don't try to get us to help you bs the system, we won't.

Also, when exactly does registration start? I want to camp it and sign up right away.
I'm trying to figure out the answer to that...

It's past midnight GMT at post time, yet still no registration start at this time. :(

Makes me wonder if it's not as international as it sounds...

I wonder if it opens at 9 pm my time, or midnight EDT :(

^ If so, I wonder if this tourney is actually for North American region games only, although I have my doubts on that, and if that's true, I can imagine angry Europe players demanding their inclusion into the tournament, fearing that they were left out again :(, while men like myself are fortunate to live in North America. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)