Jumpluff: Whimsicott PRIME! (No, still 0.5)

Why would you compare him to Erufuun when Jumpluff is definitely not in the same tier? Also, Aerial Ace and HP Flying aren't doing you that much with 55 Attacking stats.
It's that nobody really disputes that Erufuun is the superior pokemon in the anti-lead and annoyer roles. If Eru had Sleep Powder, Pluff may as well cease to exist.

Base 55 stats are pathetic, but so are Erufuun's defenses. And a fast Erufuun (one that's trying to outrun other Erufuun), or one that's boosted the wrong defense, takes even more damage. Pluff can hurt a frail thing like Erufuun (60/85/75).

And then, a lot of the other pokemon its aiming for are pretty frail as well.

- Infernape (76/71/71/Flying weak)
- Blaziken (80/70/80/Flying weak)
- Gengar (60/60/75 (speed tie))

Pluff may not be capable of doing vast damage to these, but also lends injury to Zoroark/(darkdragon)/Tar/Celebi/Latios while U-Turning out if Jolly. And there's always the Sleep Powder option instead.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
It's that nobody really disputes that Erufuun is the superior pokemon in the anti-lead and annoyer roles. If Eru had Sleep Powder, Pluff may as well cease to exist.

Base 55 stats are pathetic, but so are Erufuun's defenses. And a fast Erufuun (one that's trying to outrun other Erufuun), or one that's boosted the wrong defense, takes even more damage. Pluff can hurt a frail thing like Erufuun (60/85/75).

And then, a lot of the other pokemon its aiming for are pretty frail as well.

- Infernape (76/71/71/Flying weak)
- Blaziken (80/70/80/Flying weak)
- Gengar (60/60/75 (speed tie))

Pluff may not be capable of doing vast damage to these, but also lends injury to Zoroark/(darkdragon)/Tar/Celebi/Latios while U-Turning out if Jolly. And there's always the Sleep Powder option instead.
Erufuun's Mostly going to invest in his Defense, and maybe his Sp.Def if one isn't concerned about outspeeding other Erufuun (doesn't seem that important to me) Speaking of which, why are you talking about Erufuun battling a Jumpluff in the first place?

Also, with the Things you just listed, Infernape's mainly only going to be a lead, Blaziken outspeeds you after a Speed Boost, and Gengar speed ties you and i'm pretty sure he lives your attacks. Not very helpful at all if you ask me..

The only hope for Jumpluff is for Erufuun to be OU, in which case it doesn't matter if it outclasses Jumpluff. It'd be like if Gen IV had a better Jumpluff in OU, it wouldn't have affected Pluff's use in the lower tiers.

It having Sleep is a pretty cool advantage though, no doubt.

Manaphy

The only hope for Jumpluff is for Erufuun to be OU, in which case it doesn't matter if it outclasses Jumpluff. It'd be like if Gen IV had a better Jumpluff in OU, it wouldn't have affected Pluff's use in the lower tiers.

It having Sleep is a pretty cool advantage though, no doubt.
That's what I've been trying to say.

Jumpluff might be useful on Sun Teams in UU too, since he could be an excellent SubSeeder there, with infinite sunlight.

Erufuun's Mostly going to invest in his Defense, and maybe his Sp.Def if one isn't concerned about outspeeding other Erufuun (doesn't seem that important to me) Speaking of which, why are you talking about Erufuun battling a Jumpluff in the first place?

Also, with the Things you just listed, Infernape's mainly only going to be a lead, Blaziken outspeeds you after a Speed Boost, and Gengar speed ties you and i'm pretty sure he lives your attacks. Not very helpful at all if you ask me..
It's because the set I listed is a lead and Erufuun is a well used anti-lead, and Ape being a lead as well makes it a target. This Pluff's not going to try to counter/revenge Ken so Speed Boost isn't an issue unless Protect is used, and it has Sash for a little more protection.

I gave Pluff the option of Timid HP Flying instead of Jolly Aerial Ace to hit S Def.

Manaphy

It's because the set I listed is a lead and Erufuun is a well used anti-lead, and Ape being a lead as well makes it a target. This Pluff's not going to try to counter/revenge Ken so Speed Boost isn't an issue unless Protect is used, and it has Sash for a little more protection.

I gave Pluff the option of Timid HP Flying instead of Jolly Aerial Ace to hit S Def.
Ohhy.. I see.

The main advantage I see is using Sleep Powder. Erufuun Gets Taunt however,(How the hell does Jumpluff not get taunt..)and of course priority, so he still gives you competition for an Anti-Lead.

If nothing else it has Sleep Powder and more resistances over Erufuun. I've use Jumpluff with great success in gen 4 and I expect great things from Jumpluff in gen 5. Though the encore nerf saddens me.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Jumpluff could possibly work on UU/NU sunny day teams provided dream world venusaur never gets released (He had better!) and that drought tails is actually allowed.

Base 55 attacking stats aren't good. But with decent investment, jumpluff can scratch away at things that would normally annoy it. The non specs Sceptile variant has trouble with a jumpluff carrying Aerial Ace/HP Flying.

And Slip through allows Pluff to hit through substitutes? That's been confirmed?!

Have thought of Pikachu when thinking of Jumpluff. But being a fan of 'Pluff, I might consider it for a faster Sleep Powder or Worry Seed when others capable of such moves need a break or are not ranked in the tier of the time.

I miss Pay Day Jumpluff (Gen 2's Crystal Version)

This set has worked quite well:

SleepDance
Jumpluff@Fly Jewel
Chlorophyll
Adamant 4 HP/252 Atk/ 252 Spd
~Sleep Powder
~Swords Dance
~Seed Bomb
~Acrobat

Come in on revenge, put something to sleep, and swords dance. Acrobat, for those who don't know, is a 110 power flying move when you don't have an item, and Fly Jewel activates and buffs its power. Seed Bomb does stab, and Acrobat is the most powerful attack in Pluff's arsenal, and can kill several critical things (I killed a kingdra (fly jewel) and an ononokusa with it during a sweep (4 pokemon) that was only stopped when Manaphy survived a Seed Bomb at 4 hp).

It is true that Erufunn does mostly outclass Jumpluff, but it does fill a small niche as a cleric, of course Chansey/Blissey, and in some cases even Magenium does that better too... poor Jumpluff didn't get many useful tools to pull it's weight around this Gen... If it got Baton Pass it has many stat ups it could pass, like SD, Cotton Gaurd, or even Amnesia... the only real reason to use it at this point is sleep.

I love Jumpluff, and it'll always have a space on my team :)
But unfortunately, favourites don't tend to work out too well in serious battles... Jumpluff will still have the niche of being the fastest sleeper, but if Eruufun gets leech seed + Substitute (it should do), Jumpluff's lost the title of fastest subseeder

EDIT: I forgot it learns Aromatherapy too, does Eruufun?

I love Jumpluff, and it'll always have a space on my team :)
But unfortunately, favourites don't tend to work out too well in serious battles... Jumpluff will still have the niche of being the fastest sleeper, but if Eruufun gets leech seed + Substitute (it should do), Jumpluff's lost the title of fastest subseeder

EDIT: I forgot it learns Aromatherapy too, does Eruufun?
No, Eruufun doesn't get aromatherepy, which is to bad, a priority cleric would be quite useful.

alphatron

Meh. Let's talk about things Jumpluff can do that Erufuun can't.

Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Leaf Guard
Jolly
252 speed/128 def/128 sp. def
Leech Seed
Substitute
Sleep Powder/Stun Spore/Encore
Bounce

Sunny day support is necessary. Jumpluff can easily switch in on any predicted status attack, ignore it, and put the foe to sleep. It can then proceed to sub while it stalls and attacks every now and then with STAB bounces. It takes 21% damage from technician mach punch breloom and around 44%-49% after breloom has used sword's dance. During sunlight, it is immune to spore and can OHKO back with bounce. Speed is maxed out to avoid speed tying with HP power Gengar and the like. At the risk of no attacks, aromatherapy can be used instead of bounce. A status immune pokemon who can heal the status off of your other pokemon? Yes please. Cotton spore is also an option for added survivability.

You could also run chlorophyll to guarantee outspeeding numerous threats running around nowadays. But if you're running chlorophyll, why not just run Erufuun who is faster? And then why not just run Mischievous Heart?

Thankfully, Jumpluff has higher special defense than Erufuun. Eh...

Jumpluff may get Sleep Powder as an advantage over Erufuun, but I never thought Sleep Powder was that useful for Pluff in the first place due to 4 moveslot syndrome. Subseed takes two move slots and Encore is a must have. I used Jumpluff on one of my Gen 4 OU teams and I felt that an attack move was most consistently the best use of the fourth slot. Jumpluff's offense may be terrible, but a STAB Hidden Power Flying still managed to be useful against several common Grass and Fighting-types.

My set:
Timid
188 Def / 68 SpD / 252 Spe
Substitute
Leech Seed
Encore
HP Flying

I don't think Sleep Powder should be focused on simply because it's the one thing Erufuun doesn't have. Jumpluff is just simply outclassed.

This is a list of everything Jumpluff has that Erufuun doesn't.

Typing

+ Flying

Abilities

Chlorophyll
Leaf Guard

Stats

+ 15 HP
+ 10 SpD

Moves

Bounce
Bullet Seed
Sleep Powder
Splash
Synthesis
Tackle
Tail Whip
Acrobat
Rage Powder
Amnesia
Aromatherapy
Endure
Seed Bomb
Aerial Ace
Psych Up
Reflect
Swords Dance
Silver Wind
Secret Power
Flash
Headbutt
Snore
Mimic
Defense Curl
Sleep Talk

So... Let's try to work from there. :nerd:

Erufuun gets Chlorophyll in DW, and many moves from your list are useless, at least on Jumpluff.

I agree Erufuun basically overshadows Jumpluff with its higher speed AND MH trait. I think the two moves that make a difference are Sleep Powder and U-turn for Jumpluff.

alphatron

You forgot to mention Slip Through, since dreamworld Jumpluff is already out.

Has anyone else found Jumpluff to work pretty well on Rain Dance teams? 4x grass resistance and an electric nuetrality are just icing on the cake. He takes advantage of Ninetales (believe me, this hurts so much) and outruns most of the other sunny day pokemon.

Never thought about the rain niche, but you'll have to watch out for ice beam.

Eruufun doesn't get u-turn? 0.0

Someone mentioned using STAB on Jumpluff, would giga drain be better for the subseeder for extra recovery, or was HP flying purely to have a way to hit grass types who resist leech seed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)