Keldeo [available from June 23rd to August 31st]

I'm assuming Surf / Mystery Sword / HP Ice / Hydro Pump? Specs Keldeo is a beast in rain. Just another abuser for the ability should Drizzle somehow stick around until it is released.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I'm assuming Surf / Mystery Sword / HP Ice / Hydro Pump? Specs Keldeo is a beast in rain. Just another abuser for the ability should Drizzle somehow stick around until it is released.
HP Ghost over HP Ice. 252 HP Dragonite is 2HKO'd by Rain Surf after SR and HP Ghost can 2HKO pretty much every Jellicent who would wall HP Ice Keldeo.

At first I looked at this thread, expecting to see triumphant news that our epic pony would be confirmed to get an event.

Then I realized it was just a pointless necrobump.

I wish this guy was out already, i was using him on PO and sweeping teams and then i realised i was in the DW tier ._. But i found it to be most effective to use HP ice or Electric.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would say stick to HP Ghost, since it covers Latios, Latias, Toxicroak, and Celebi all at once. Gyarados and Dragonite can be taken care of with a +1 Hydro Pump in the Rain if you have Stealth Rock up.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i was thinking sub + cm with scarftar support so it can be more of a threat with useful stabs and speed. you can benefit from rain (note you have scarftar as well) and hide behind subs. with both base def/sdef and a highly respectable hp stat, it may prove to be more effective by deaing with its counters and getting the best out of keldeo itself.

I would say stick to HP Ghost, since it covers Latios, Latias, Toxicroak, and Celebi all at once. Gyarados and Dragonite can be taken care of with a +1 Hydro Pump in the Rain if you have Stealth Rock up.
Wouldn't HP Ice hit all 4 of those Pokemon with equal damage to HP Ghost? And it would hit Dragonite too, even though you did say Hydro Pump takes care of it.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Wouldn't HP Ice hit all 4 of those Pokemon with equal damage to HP Ghost? And it would hit Dragonite too, even though you did say Hydro Pump takes care of it.
The idea is that no other Hidden Power can cover Latios, Latias, Toxicroak, Celebi, Jellicent, Slowbro, and Slowking all at once. Threats that Hidden Power Ice cover are destroyed by boosted rain water attacks after SR.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i would actually rather use dark, as he can maintain his perfect IVs. but i guess toxicroak is kinda a problem.
A single stat point won't matter in anything besides Speed, and Ghost doesn't touch your speed IVs at all.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, but HP Ghost offers PERFECT NEUTRAL COVERAGE. With HP Ice there are still random shit like Starmie and Slowbro that resist you.

The idea is that no other Hidden Power can cover Latios, Latias, Toxicroak, Celebi, Jellicent, Slowbro, and Slowking all at once. Threats that Hidden Power Ice cover are destroyed by boosted rain water attacks after SR.
Hmm, true. HP Ghost does hit every one of these threats for SE or neutral damage, while Toxicroak would be hit by HP ice too, but it would be stupid to try and blast it with a rain-boosted Water attack, since any Toxicroak worth their salt would be using Dry Skin. Jellicent also walls Keldeo to hell and back if it doesn't have HP Ghost, since Water Absorb heals it from any Water attack, it's not effected by Fighting moves, and it takes pitiful damage from HP Ice or Fire.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
<3 Keldeo, shame it's going to make Drizzle even stronger since they now have a more reliable way of dealing with Ferrothorn whilst simultaneously having a powerful Water STAB. We should remember that this thing's Hydro Pump is the most powerful in OU, and it also has the most powerful Focus Blast in the game (if people want to use it despite its accuracy :p)

+1 Hydro Pump 2HKOs practically everything, IIRC, in Rain. Secret Sword hits random shit, but really, it's all about that sexy Hydro Pump damage.

HP Elec/HP Ghost/HP Grass to deal with Jellicent. HP Grass hits Gastrodon hard, but I'm pretty sure Gastro doesn't want to deal with +1 Secret Sword.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Have people considered a Specs set for Keldeo at all? Hydro Pump / Sacred Sword / Hidden Power Ghost / Focus Blast gives you the choice between powerful Special and Physical Fighting attacks that might be helpful. Shame it doesn't get Ice Beam, because then it actually could 2HKO the ENTIRE OU metagame.

Have people considered a Specs set for Keldeo at all? Hydro Pump / Sacred Sword / Hidden Power Ghost / Focus Blast gives you the choice between powerful Special and Physical Fighting attacks that might be helpful. Shame it doesn't get Ice Beam, because then it actually could 2HKO the ENTIRE OU metagame.
Specs would be 'alright' just for the surprise factor but I think with good base stats and overall nice coverage, you really want to aim for a set up to sweep here.

This Pokemon is going to be... uhh pretty beastly most likely. I mean Psycho Shock which hit's physically already works wonders for Psychic type Pokemon like Latios/Reuniclus. Special walls that could wall it otherwise no longer can now. Scared Sword which also hits physically is also going to give that unicorn a real edge here. Yea ok it's not going to outrun base 110 Pokemon such as Latios but it's still a force to be reckoned with. I would really hate to see this Pokemon on a button pass team...

Ps. What would one switch into to wall (and kill) this thing? (Assuming that it's running calm mind set + hidden power dark or ghost.)

erisia

Innovative new design!
Dragonite is a pretty good response, even if Multiscale doesn't trigger. Physically Defensive Shaymin would also do nicely.

Dragonite is a pretty good response, even if Multiscale doesn't trigger. Physically Defensive Shaymin would also do nicely.
IIRC, +1 Hydro Pump in Rain 2HKOs Dnite, although I'm not sure if that rocks.
I think Shaymin/Celebi would be too. In fact, not sure why you would use Shaymin when Celebi does an even better job.

erisia

Innovative new design!
Physically Defensive Shaymin takes less damage from Sacred Sword than Physically Defensive Celebi does from Hidden Power Ghost, to be fair. :p Although Celebi would probably be Specially Defensive in this case, so meh.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Keldeo's STAB version of Psyshock is called Secret Sword. With Secret Sword, there is almost no reason (if any) to use Sacred Sword (which Cobalion, Terrakion and Virizion also learn), which is plain physical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)