KONY 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
We should be sticking to the topic here. It's a very serious matter.

I reckon we would help if we had any money.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I agree with the whole act. My sister and I are ordering the kits soon.

We can make a difference, we need to stop this man and bring him to justice.

I've heard that the organisation behind all this, Invisible Children, is rather sketchy so I'm not taking one side or the other.

Also, this video is a half hour long and I haven't watched it. Can someone tell me if I'm missing anything crucial by not watching it that I haven't already briefly looked over on the Kony wikipedia page?

Lastly, I don't want to sound like a dick, but why can't African countries ever handle their own shit? Motherfuckers gonna cry oppression and shit from Europe and then when they get it, their countries fall to shit and there is literally no infrastructure at all in place (partially Europe's fault, partially <African Country's> fault). Then civilised countries have to come in and stop whatever retarded atrocities are happening with our money that we don't have just so something worse or similar can happen again in a different country a few years later? It's fucking stupid and I find it really really hard to care about Africa as a whole anymore, but I'm already pretty cynical as it is.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
yeah you're definitely missing out

watch the whole thing

also the alleged sketchiness of the charity (which i'm not wholly convinced by the reports of) does not make their cause any less genuine or valid

The end justifies the means in this case.
Yes, there have been some rumors concerning Invisible Children. I do not know if they have been verified or not. However, whatever they are doing in the wayside is not nearly as important as the cause they stand for. Its unbelievably important, and embarrassing how the world just stood by.

As for African countries "not managing their own shit." How do you propose they would do that, Alan? They are most certainly underprivileged. Not enough funding, experience, power, etc.

the alleged sketchiness as i understand it is they are basically using Kony's actions as a way to raise money for themselves, and not for the cause as described, which does make it less genuine, but not less valid. semantics br0.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
no, you've missed the point

the cause is still genuine and still valid, because it raises awareness about the crimes kony is responsible for

even if they make money on the side (which, again, i'm really not convinced this is about since their expenditure seems to go straight back into the mass campaigning you're seeing evidence of here) then they still get the message out about a decent cause

Yeah, I've seen that.
But lets be honest. If you had a choice between them and nothing, what would you do?
I certainly couldn't make my own organization. If you want to, or if you know another one, please go ahead. Otherwise, deal with what you have.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
These campaigns don't usually move me, but damn I had to hold back tears. It's so fucking sad, and something's gotta be done. I'm impressed that almost everybody wants to do something about it.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Africa has been treated quite badly by the world powers over the years, though:

Zambia: "USA, can I borrow $2bn to buy some corn from Malawi?"
USA: "I've got a better idea! You borrow $8bn from us! You can buy corn from us for 6 of them, and some of our outdated weaponry for the remaining 2bn"
Zambia: "But why? I only need $2bn! Malawian corn is so much cheaper!"
USA: "We give you both the money and the corn. And some nice weapons too! Everybody wins."

Zambia is then $8bn in debt, Malawi can't sell its corn, and lots of weapons are floating around. The USA have now sold away corn and guns for $8bn, and they will still get $8bn from Zambia from the loan, plus interest.

Not saying it's just an American thing - the Norwegian government did exactly the same with some old rusty ships in the nineties. And I bet there are loads more examples if you just look long enough.

Never mind that the African "countries" were never national states. The Europeans just divided the land between them, and all the people within the borders then had to cooperate to get things going after gaining independence. By that time, they were hopelessly behind the rest of the world in terms of industry, infrastructure and whatnot, while foreign companies already had the rights to extract and export most of the natural resources in the country. Those contracts weren't exactly written after consulting the population...

Kony MUST come to justice. That is a fact. A heck of ALOT of people are involved in the worldwide Pokemon community, as Smogoners and members of that community, we MUST do all we can to raise awerness of this sick injustice.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I am all for spreading awareness of how terrible Joseph Kony is, but the Invisible Children charity is not the way to do it. As B-Lulz's article has pointed out and many others cropping up in response to this video, the charity itself is shady and often times advocating for poor solutions (for example, propping up the Ugandan military). Remember that just eliminating Joseph Kony won't end the crisis. There are larger forces at work here than his despicable actions.

If you are rightfully outraged by the contents of the video, write to your senator/congressman/parliamentary representative etc and advocate for more action on this tragedy. I can't recommend donating to this particular charity though.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
also another interesting article, highlighting the fact that uganda's government has equally deep-rooted issues right now in light of the kony awareness.

The thing is that Joseph Kony has been doing this for a very, very, very long time. He emerged about a quarter of a century, which is about the same time that Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni came to power. As a result the fates of these two leaders must, I think, be viewed together. Yet, though President Museveni must be integral to any solution to this problem, I didn’t hear him mentioned once in the 30-minute video. I thought that this was a crucial omission. Invisible Children asked viewers to seek the engagement of American policymakers and celebrities, but – and this is a major red flag – it didn’t introduce them to the many Northern Ugandans already doing fantastic work both in their local communities and in the diaspora. It didn’t ask its viewers to seek diplomatic pressure on President Museveni’s administration.

what kony is doing is certainly an atrocity, and regardless of how long he has been committing his crimes, awareness now is not a bad thing. however, I think what more people should think about is that Kony and his crimes are running rampant because uganda is run by a government/officials that allow it to happen. it's like acting against kony is just snipping off the branch of an infected tree. yes, it is definitely more difficult to try and correct a government than one of it's derivative problems, but it's still something to think about.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
also incidentally Kony isn't really in Uganda anymore... he's primarily operating in south sudan and the central african republic and other countries.

I'm not really feeling it, the guy in that video sounded like such a self righteous douche.

And I also don't feel like anyone really cares, they're just doing this because of peer pressure.

I feel like if people really cared they would go over there and fight the war themselves, not just post about how evil this guy is for manipulating kids on the internet.

I've actually been raising awareness and been getting people to get together so we can call the House and Senate. I don't think we need to physically be in the war to make a difference.

Someone who has assessed the risk, and has decided that not only are they willing, but that they are qualified to do the task.

lol..is this guy (mixmewtwo or whatever) kidding me?

important fact: if you think something should be done, then do it yourself. toothache? get the fuckin pliers out pussy.

._. that looks like Kony behind the white guy

-

But yeah this is a good cause. Even if the charity is sketchy, it raises awareness. I had never even heard the guys name until I saw the video yesterday.

slacktivism at it's finest.

also saw this comic on reddit related to kony island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)