League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I used to go fae charm + rejuv start but people always qqed U DONT HAVE ENOUGH WARDS GRRRR despite having the entrances to the lane warded well enough that we should be safe unless pushed to their turret vs lee sin/zac but I go fae/2 green/1 pink these days. I think learning the MOST VITAL warding positions and encouraging your mid to ward the very vital entrances to your jungle, especially if you're blue side as they need to get vision over wraith ramp, can help you cut back on superfluous ward spending early while still having key vision to stay safe and letting you build your items.

I also agree that you should actually invest in items in solo q - there's fragging all day and morons left and right and sitting around with boots 5, oracles, ruby and MAYBE shur done isn't good enough. of course, buy your oracles and a couple pinks for key spots and encourage your team to help you ward, ensure you have proper vision, but the ridiculous quantities of wards bought in LCS games is unnecessary to win more unorganized solo q battles.

if anyone wants I can upload a graphic of my most key warding locations, depending on the enemy jungler as well those spots can change, and of course it varies based on how your lane will be shoved and if your mid is properly dishing out vision. my #1 tip is prolly to always pink either dragon or tri (especially if you are purple/want a gank as either side), or both if you are richy mcrich, and use the sightstone wards to hit 2 other vital areas. this lets you secure river vision, objective vision and make use of the sightstone wards for the lane bushes, if you aren't pinking those, or deep wards.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
yo bs aphromoo came out today but im stuck at work for another 7 hours, someone pls tell me if he fun.
I read the first part of this and thought you meant Aphro came out of the closet and I was like "wut" but then I realized you were talking about Lucian lol.

Anyway if you're a good support you can get away with going competitive-style support and if you mass wards it reduces the margin of error that solo queue dummies can make cuz you see where everyone on the enemy team is.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Anyway if you're a good support you can get away with going competitive-style support and if you mass wards it reduces the margin of error that solo queue dummies can make cuz you see where everyone on the enemy team is.
I feel this is the reason why I try to overload on wards (especially as support). While I'm not considering myself by any means a good player, the problem is you know your limits but don't know your teammates. Being a little ward-happy usually nets me more positive results than negatively, though I often find myself being the major warder in a lot of the games I play in (barring sometimes when I play with you guys but I know your limits to an extent).

Why can't there be a tutorial on wards? :(

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
At lower ELOs items are more important because half the time people have terrible map awareness and don't notice junglers walking through the wards.

At higher ELOs wards are more important for the opposite reason and because junglers/mid laners gank more aggressively.

Just a general observation.

I feel this is the reason why I try to overload on wards (especially as support). While I'm not considering myself by any means a good player, the problem is you know your limits but don't know your teammates. Being a little ward-happy usually nets me more positive results than negatively, though I often find myself being the major warder in a lot of the games I play in (barring sometimes when I play with you guys but I know your limits to an extent).

Why can't there be a tutorial on wards? :(
Chauster (CLG support player) made a warding guide, I think; there are a bunch of support guides with pictures of ward spots (sry can't link any specifically off the top of my head). With time you learn the good spots to catch people out / see ganks and get a sense of where you need vision at the time, but of course being told directly where to ward is helpful at the start. Every game when I was levelling up, I'd ask whoever was carrying me, 'Where should I ward?' lol I really struggled with wards out of lane beyond the Baron pit. So look up one of those guides (Spellsy makes a lot of support resources too) or watch high level support players (competitive games, streamers, spectate featured matchers) and observe where they ward.

eta: Congrats Jebus! How did you never get a penta since level 26 (in real games), haha? Or are you excluding normals? Either way that's great, nice work.

eta: Congrats Jebus! How did you never get a penta since level 26 (in real games), haha? Or are you excluding normals? Either way that's great, nice work.
I've never actually gotten a penta in ranked play or in normals since level 26 - don't ask me how, I just haven't. The one I had before was something like two years ago, on Kog'Maw (and this is when the popular build was Malady->Wit's End->Bloodrazor).

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I feel even competitively, it would make more sense for supports to actually have some sort of items on them. *shrug* Before season 3, supports basically always had at least two gold items. Now what, they get a 10-minute Sightstone and just don't buy items at all? Use your gold generation, get your other gold generation even earlier, by 20 at worst you're putting out more wards or actually buying items compared to "fill entire inventory up with wards" support. Besides which, except for Leona I sure find myself really wanting Philo's mana regen anyway (and then some), it is nice to not instantly die if anyone looks at you funny (some people will blow your ass up just because it's so easy and it gets rid of your CC/auras), every point of CDR is better than the previous. BUT MAYBE THAT'S WHY I'M NOT A PRO EH

Or, you know, everyone else could just buy a few more wards so spending money is more even across the board. Sightstone is the best gold generation item ever and gives a universal stat (health), why not have 3-4 of those on every team? :p The whole multiplicative scaling thing only really works for standard ranged AD because of Crit, who are less important than ever with the current power of carry-esque AD assassins among other reasons (like Vayne being numero uno and simply being an AS whore). Otherwise, it behooves you to have power spread evenly among everyone because it makes focus fire less effective and random picks (bad positioning) or good dives on "MVPs" less damning. When everyone is equally tough to kill, deals good damage, one guy has Locket and another has Zeke's and another has WotA, it's a lot tougher to beat that team in a teamfight compared to one with an AD carry two items up on everyone... that just got pooped on by Malphite and Zed.

But uhh back to the ward overload thing, ultimately it doesn't do you any good to know where the enemy is if you put yourself so far behind item-wise that you can't win a fight against them anyway. The point of vision control is to make for unfair engages, I suppose, but honestly that's how I kinda feel LCS play is right now. Kinda like learning to lasthit better so you need less AD to farm well, teams could be a little more prudent with their warding and positioning so they have a little more pocket change for items that help them in direct engagement.

Kinda funny anyway that vision is considered more important than ever, yet people are still using runes/masteries and combat summoners for maximum lane dominance. Where's the comeback of CV? What happened to gold runes and full Utility; you can always just buy more wards with that money rather than affording yourself extra items.

Long overdue then lol

I can only get pentas by playing ARAM (or a ridiculous situation like this:
) and I've had soooo many lost and denied and now I've lost interest in queueing for ARAM. Oh well. =[ Good video though (ty jeb)

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.

MrE for MVP tryhard Twitch. He solo'd Fiddle while our Nexus was at 10 HP. Fiddle was standing right next to it and could've won it but instead he kept spellvamping off of MrE. MrE repositioned himself to take minion aggro AND take fiddle drain. They threw alot cuz they kept trolling and acting legit like they would win the game with their op comp. And in the end we somehow won.

Good game indeed. I cried manly tears of joy.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wait Jibaku played something OTHER than Vayne AND other than ADC?

Son I am shocked.

Gratz to you guys, especially MrE for clever tactics.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
After 1.5 years of playing league i found out that I've been playing on a gimped resolution

My old resolution: 1280 x 1024
(Had to modify the pic size a bit so puu.sh works properly but the LxW ratio is unchanged)

And lowering it gives me this:
Current resolution: 1280 x 800

(also my fps only reaches that high in custom before minions spawn. Normally it's still 10-25).

asdf

Season rewards were revealed!

Wasn't expecting Victorious Elise. Was expecting Jayce to continue the J theme + reflect his dominance throughout S3. I'm glad though since I would've had to get Jayce removed from my account and I already have spider queen. The teaser looks great, I'm psyched~

Also sad because I wanted Riot to bring ward skins back... but charge IP. -_- I spent 33k IP the last month and a week and I still have 9k. Riot pls. (sry poor ppl, I already bought all the champs I want until they bring out another kawaii healer chick or something, and I have nine rune pages)

i hate elise as a champion lmao... but that's ok there will be a championship skin as well prolly so i have high hopes for that! gunna be grinding ranked over the next few months regardless tho >.<

blind pick mvp ozone vs cj frost was pretty bonkers, did anyone else watch that? ogn was having some problems with lag which was frustrating but still an awesome game!

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm about to watch the vods of that series while I'm at work. I really hope ganked by mom played well, I really want frost to go to worlds. Their midlane problems have been plaguing them for a little bit now (rip rapidstar). Funny that the other team I root for also has midlane problems. I feel if GBM plays well Frost has a chance to win the 3rd place KR regional spot.

The bad part is though, even if SKT1 wins OGN, they still don't have a spot for worlds and will have to fight for the 3rd place just like every other good korean team.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
i hate elise as a champion lmao... but that's ok there will be a championship skin as well prolly so i have high hopes for that! gunna be grinding ranked over the next few months regardless tho >.<

blind pick mvp ozone vs cj frost was pretty bonkers, did anyone else watch that? ogn was having some problems with lag which was frustrating but still an awesome game!
they reset the stream before the blind pick game and that solved most of the lag problems iirc

but yeah what a game...and i won't say anything else for rem's sake but that play holy shit

rooting for kt bullets in finals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)