League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

finally hit lvl 12 (HM 05 Flash get!) and ive also been using lots of gragas lately

how come nobody uses him at all? his barrels are ridiculous

he's huge in europe because it's impossible to stop him from farming and his ult breaks up team fights really well

unfortunately, he has a nuke which requires him to get into melee range which is why most teams pick annie, brand or malz over him (they have long range burst potential)

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
he's huge in europe because it's impossible to stop him from farming and his ult breaks up team fights really well

unfortunately, he has a nuke which requires him to get into melee range which is why most teams pick annie, brand or malz over him (they have long range burst potential)
I think it really just comes down to what the team composition really needs. For example, if you have an Ashe on the team, all you really need is an Ashe Arrow followed up by Gragas pulling in the target with his barrel. Additionally, the champions that you listed were quite squishy and usually take the middle lane. Gragas is usually played top lane, but is also interchangeable with the middle lane.

It all just comes down to what the team needs. If Shueshai (sp?) had his way, he'd play Gragas every match, but he has to mix it up by playing Gragas, Anivia, or even his own invention AP Alistar.

Here's to hoping DotA 2 won't be exactly like it's predecessors but will be BETTER. I'd like to keep the jerks out of MOBAs as much as possible too!

That said, I just hit Summoner lv 20. I currently have 1k IP, but I have been trying Jungle Nocturne in Normal games without any runes at all. He seems to do fine, although my route is really slow right now (he's squishy so I recall a lot). His speed and ganking after level 6 is ridiculous though.

Here's the problem: No one in solo que at my ELO (or level? I don't know what determines who I get matched with) understands what jungling is, so they leave me to go lane Nocturne/Amumu/whoever I choose. These guys are okay at laning, but I feel like they have so much more potential in the jungle, especially now that I've tried them out in a few matches with my brother and friend (one of which offers to go solo top). I understand quite a few Smogoners are great junglers (such as Thorns; great Warwick guide!), and I was wondering what your suggestions would be at this time. Thanks!

I don't understand. They are forcing you to not jungle? They can't actually do that.
That's not necessarily the problem, its that I don't feel comfortable jungling knowing that the rest of my team isn't comfortable with me doing it either. They're probably not used to soloing top lane or calling out when a lane is open for me to gank it. This is all because they either
- don't know what jungling is
- have never had a jungler on their team
- never tried it themselves

It's something you don't really see until lv 30 (or so I've heard), but I figured if I can use my favorite champions to their fullest potential that way, I might as well start practicing now.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a problem that you will come across in solo queue quite a lot until the mid 20's, a lot of people just don't know how to 1v2 and will blame you as the Jungler for not helping them. The best way to deal with it is just to openly state when picking your champions "I am jungling so somebody will need to solo top", then you need to arrange your lanes and team comp. This should be happening anyway and if it isn't then you need to take the initiative and try and get your team communicating. If your teammates refuse to co-operate by picking a poor solo lane champion, then that is their problem and you need to get on with your own job.
If nobody speaks then you should just go ahead with your jungle and pay close attention to the solo lane. Gank regularly, babysit them if you have to, but remember that even if they are getting devastated and are going to lose that tower, you are your top priority. You can't let yourself fall behind trying to help them out otherwise you are going to be as useless as they are. Make sure to keep up with your levelling and your gold supply.

btw as a jungler you shouldn't be relying on people in lanes calling for you to gank. You should have the most map awareness out of everybody on the team. You should be warding, watching all three lanes, you should know where everybody on both teams are at all times. Laners are often too focused on last hitting to pay attention to where you are or when is a good time for you to gank. That's your job. Tell them when you are coming to gank their lane. Tell them in chat, ping their enemies. I remember a game not too long ago where I was jungling Warwick in a premade and came to gank Alex's lane. I assumed he had seen me stalking in the brush and was ready to help me. I jumped out and got the opposing Annie down to a quarter health but quickly died in the 1v2 as nobody helped. Alex hadn't noticed me, had moved out of position and couldn't help me in time. This was my fault. An almost identical scenario happened a week ago in solo queue only I was the one out of position and an amumu in solo queue ganked my lane without telling me. Luckily I managed to flash in and get the kill but not before the amumu died to ignite. But as an experienced jungler I knew that his death was his own fault.

I suppose what I'm saying is that at any level, as the jungler you call the shots. You tell people when you are ganking your lane and they trust you to do it because you have the map awareness to know it's a good idea.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
jungling pre-30 isn't even worth it anyway. you're giving someone a solo against what's 90% gonna be a 1v2 lane. that's rarely gonna go well. not to mention, jungling without runes is slow as shit.

speaking of jungling

Apparently Fiddlesticks is a more forgiving jungler, so I'm going to try that. Anyone familiar with... jun...glesticks?

Thank you guys, I needed to hear all of that. vonFielder and Kinneas's insight helped me a lot in the last 2 games.

However, from what gene says, it seems like Jungling isn't even worth it unless I'm level 30 and in a situation where I'm pretty much guaranteed a match up against another jungler. The chances of that are ridiculously low at summoner level 21 from what I can tell. So what you're telling me is I shouldn't even bother until I grind out a rune page (LAME, 10k IP just to make my character worthwhile? I could buy 2 awesome champions for that much) and when I'm at level 30? Everything gene said was completely true as well; 1v2 seems near impossible.

That said, do characters who are better at jungling work in lane? I've seen Lane-turne (lol) and Lane Amumu before (and I know lane Warwick is kind of a thing now), but would that work okay for now? Nocturne seems like he's kind of a roamer and Amumu likes that element of surprise since no one is going to waltz right into Despair and the chance that he could use his (OP) ultimate.

(I ask here instead of the LoL site and such because I can trust Smogon users to be much wiser and more mature than them in pretty much every aspect of life)

pookar

Banned deucer.
id have to agree with g80/gene, even though im only L19, theres been a few occasions where my friends have junglestix / gangplank or whatevers, and im usually a beefy champ so i take solo top, and all it takes is one false move and you lose your whole tower because you died one time at level 5. On the other hand, if you can sustain that lane 1v2, you get great farming because you can get all the minion kills instead of fighting for last hits

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thank you guys, I needed to hear all of that. vonFielder and Kinneas's insight helped me a lot in the last 2 games.

However, from what gene says, it seems like Jungling isn't even worth it unless I'm level 30 and in a situation where I'm pretty much guaranteed a match up against another jungler. The chances of that are ridiculously low at summoner level 21 from what I can tell. So what you're telling me is I shouldn't even bother until I grind out a rune page (LAME, 10k IP just to make my character worthwhile? I could buy 2 awesome champions for that much) and when I'm at level 30? Everything gene said was completely true as well; 1v2 seems near impossible.

That said, do characters who are better at jungling work in lane? I've seen Lane-turne (lol) and Lane Amumu before (and I know lane Warwick is kind of a thing now), but would that work okay for now? Nocturne seems like he's kind of a roamer and Amumu likes that element of surprise since no one is going to waltz right into Despair and the chance that he could use his (OP) ultimate.

(I ask here instead of the LoL site and such because I can trust Smogon users to be much wiser and more mature than them in pretty much every aspect of life)
When you're facing such low leveled opponents, any champion can work in the lane.

nocturne/warwick/udyr/lee sin/gangplank/fiddlesticks/cho'gath/jarvan

all good junglers and laners. noc, udyr, lee sin and gp need wriggles in lane

amumu lane is horrific since his harass involves walking up to them, and he has no healing

udyr is op

good 1v2 candidates are cho (da bess) jarvan and morde

caitlyn and gragas are ok if you know you are good enough to stop a level 6 towerdive

speaking of jungling

Apparently Fiddlesticks is a more forgiving jungler, so I'm going to try that. Anyone familiar with... jun...glesticks?
Leash blue, gank at 4. Your CC is huge and Crowstorm should net you a kill every time. Fiddle fear is stupidly long so many people take WEWQ since 2 in Drain lets you jungle quickly, then proceed to max Q, then W, then E, obviously taking ult when possible.

Essentially you make it easy for your laner to score kills, although you're more than capable of picking them up yourself.

blue start is actually bad because you won't have enough blue time to gank once you hit 4. not starting at blue is risky because fiddles jungles considerably slower without it so all in all fiddles is a powerful jungler if uninhibited.

smite big wraith
drain x2 one golem, autoattack second golem in between drains
drain x1 second golem, autoattack to death
drain x1 small wraith
dark wind other wraiths, autoattack to death
drain x1 big wolf, dark wind x1 big wolf, autoattack to death
drain x1 healthier wolf, autoattack camp to death
drain blue and autoattack until smite range
rest of jungle is piss easy now - go take your red and gank, or fuck their jungle since you will be at full health

you can do this with a doran's ring only if you memorise the order, mana regen yellows make it easier. you can go boots/3 pots or mana crystal/2 pots if you really don't want to buy doran's but your jungle will be slower (esp if you go boots). this route gets you to 6 faster too for the classic 'crowstorm from bush' gank

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
jungling pre-30 isn't even worth it anyway. you're giving someone a solo against what's 90% gonna be a 1v2 lane. that's rarely gonna go well.
Not true at all. Even at level 30 at least half of games don't have a jungler, but playing is 1v2 is NOT a handicap. It means your team is getting more experience than the opponent.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
letting someone of unknown skill 1v2 with a champ that may or may not be able to handle 1v2 lanes is quite the handicap. disaster, even.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Every pub is of unknown skill, it doesn't matter what level they are or if they are 1v2. Bad pubs can just as easily lose a 1v2 lane when they are the 2. Having a jungler better than not, always.

So I just downloaded this game, and I don't really have a clue what I'm doing, still only playing with Basic bots and I get beaten every time. >_<

I've been reading guides on the character I've played the most (Veigar) and I do exactly what it tells me: last strike all the baddies with Baleful Strike to get AP, which increases the power of his specials. I did that, and followed the item guide, but even then I was doing piss poor damage to other champions, even with my ultimate, whilst they killed me in seconds.

What am I doing wrong? Also, what are some general tips for a newb?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
There are lists of tips throughout this thread, but my best advice would be to go to the Smogon chat in the game and find people to play with who can see what you are doing wrong and tell you how to fix it.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
Every pub is of unknown skill, it doesn't matter what level they are or if they are 1v2. Bad pubs can just as easily lose a 1v2 lane when they are the 2. Having a jungler better than not, always.
they're much less likely to get zoned out completely or lose the tower if they have a lane partner. would you really jungle if you knew your team didn't have 2 competent solos

they're much less likely to get zoned out completely or lose the tower if they have a lane partner. would you really jungle if you knew your team didn't have 2 competent solos
Agreed. If nobody on your team is confident handling a 1v2 lane, then you probably shouldn't be jungling. You'll risk losing your top lane so badly that it won't make a difference that you jungled.

On the other hand, if you manage to get someone on your team who's completely competent at 1v2ing, you'll have a huge advantage. Try to work things out in champ select.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)