(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Two things about Regigigas; one is more of a curiosity, while the other is indeed an annoyance.

Despite being a master over ice, clay, and magma, Regigigas seems to be particularly fond of ice, as each of its appearances place it in a frosty location. In Sinnoh, it's found at the bottom of Snowpoint Temple in the middle of a sliding ice puzzle. In Unova, it's resting just one room over from the Ice Rock in Twist Mountain. And in Hoenn, not only does it share a tomb with Regice, but Regice is much more involved in its puzzle that Regirock or Registeel. Speaking of which...

ORAS Regigigas's ridiculous spawn conditions are probably something that bothers people, but I actually don't mind it at all. One of my fondest memories of Emerald was the air of mystery surrounding the Regis. Finding a secret underwater cave and using the Braille alphabet from the instruction booklet and Prima guide to (attempt to) decipher the clues on the wall was exciting, and Registeel's tomb in plain view with no entrance was tantalizing. I could see all these puzzle pieces scattered about, daring me to put them together. It was fantastic. And Regigigas had the potential to be even more exciting. Imagine finding Braille tablets scattered across Hoenn, each revealing one part of Regigigas's puzzle. If you can find a way to smush two of the four requirements into a single clue (nickname Regice, give it a cold item, have the other two also, visit Island Cave during the day) maybe the tablets could be located in areas that represent the trio: Granite Cave for Regirock, Shoal Cave for Regice, and Mt. Chimney / Fiery Path for Registeel. Imagine feeling your way through Granite Cave with only two badges under your belt and stumbling across a bizarre collection of dots saying something about "reuniting the three", whatever that means. That would be so cool!

And yet, ORAS doesn't quite deliver. Instead of Braille tablets, you're fed one of four cryptic clues from a girl in Pacifidlog Town. Now, I have to give credit where credit is due. Pacifidlog is right next to the Sealed Chamber, so the Regi connection isn't completely absent (the folks there might have even mentioned the Regis in the originals and I've just forgotten). Also, giving the player only one clue forces the them to take the puzzle into the real world and track down other players who were given different clues, which can potentially result in a really cool moment of group problem solving. However, there are two main issues with this:

1) By 2014, most people playing Pokemon are very familiar with the internet. What could have been an outstanding puzzle in the originals is reduced to near worthless. After all, why bother trying to track down people to compare notes with when your favorite Pokemon message board has all the people you could possibly need all in one place, who may or may not have already solved it long before you arrived and left the solution written in plain text for all to see?

2) C'mon, no Braille? Part of the thrill of the main Regi puzzles came from decoding the Braille clues. Sure, in reality you're just replacing letters made of dots with the same letters but made of lines, but it still feels like you're a master archeologist deciphering a mysterious ancient language. Even if Game Freak was adamant on giving each player a single clue to send them on the mini-ARG, they could have at least put that single clue on a Braille tablet somewhere!

Geez, was that town name always so ugly? All these years, I've been calling Pacifilog. That D just messes up everything. Pa-cif-id-log. Pacifid-log. There's just no way to say those last two syllables smoothly.

Two things about Regigigas; one is more of a curiosity, while the other is indeed an annoyance.

Despite being a master over ice, clay, and magma, Regigigas seems to be particularly fond of ice, as each of its appearances place it in a frosty location. In Sinnoh, it's found at the bottom of Snowpoint Temple in the middle of a sliding ice puzzle. In Unova, it's resting just one room over from the Ice Rock in Twist Mountain. And in Hoenn, not only does it share a tomb with Regice, but Regice is much more involved in its puzzle that Regirock or Registeel. Speaking of which...

ORAS Regigigas's ridiculous spawn conditions are probably something that bothers people, but I actually don't mind it at all. One of my fondest memories of Emerald was the air of mystery surrounding the Regis. Finding a secret underwater cave and using the Braille alphabet from the instruction booklet and Prima guide to (attempt to) decipher the clues on the wall was exciting, and Registeel's tomb in plain view with no entrance was tantalizing. I could see all these puzzle pieces scattered about, daring me to put them together. It was fantastic. And Regigigas had the potential to be even more exciting. Imagine finding Braille tablets scattered across Hoenn, each revealing one part of Regigigas's puzzle. If you can find a way to smush two of the four requirements into a single clue (nickname Regice, give it a cold item, have the other two also, visit Island Cave during the day) maybe the tablets could be located in areas that represent the trio: Granite Cave for Regirock, Shoal Cave for Regice, and Mt. Chimney / Fiery Path for Registeel. Imagine feeling your way through Granite Cave with only two badges under your belt and stumbling across a bizarre collection of dots saying something about "reuniting the three", whatever that means. That would be so cool!

And yet, ORAS doesn't quite deliver. Instead of Braille tablets, you're fed one of four cryptic clues from a girl in Pacifidlog Town. Now, I have to give credit where credit is due. Pacifidlog is right next to the Sealed Chamber, so the Regi connection isn't completely absent (the folks there might have even mentioned the Regis in the originals and I've just forgotten). Also, giving the player only one clue forces the them to take the puzzle into the real world and track down other players who were given different clues, which can potentially result in a really cool moment of group problem solving. However, there are two main issues with this:

1) By 2014, most people playing Pokemon are very familiar with the internet. What could have been an outstanding puzzle in the originals is reduced to near worthless. After all, why bother trying to track down people to compare notes with when your favorite Pokemon message board has all the people you could possibly need all in one place, who may or may not have already solved it long before you arrived and left the solution written in plain text for all to see?

2) C'mon, no Braille? Part of the thrill of the main Regi puzzles came from decoding the Braille clues. Sure, in reality you're just replacing letters made of dots with the same letters but made of lines, but it still feels like you're a master archeologist deciphering a mysterious ancient language. Even if Game Freak was adamant on giving each player a single clue to send them on the mini-ARG, they could have at least put that single clue on a Braille tablet somewhere!

Geez, was that town name always so ugly? All these years, I've been calling Pacifilog. That D just messes up everything. Pa-cif-id-log. Pacifid-log. There's just no way to say those last two syllables smoothly.
With Emerald being my first Pokémon game, i agree that they made the Regis quest much less fun and without that mysterious atmosphere that the original game had.

I don't know if I'm the odd one out but I always found the regi's quest's very annoying. Needing random pokemon and hm's and walking in convoluted patterns isn't really fun. Coming from someone who played Emerald back in the day when they didn't have internet, I would never have found the regi's period.

So the other thread was talking about pokemon design generally being pretty dang good and, for the most part, I agree! Even ones I dony really care for tend to win me over and I can see their charm points even if I personally would not love them. Like Eiscue is...something, alright, but over time it's weirdness has really won me over, for example. Or Jynx, which has....myriad issues, but once it got Purple I think there's some interesting things about it just because of how different from other pokemon it is. I've got issues with Cobalion, it feels a little underdesigned, but I adore the head and honestly the booties are funny enough to keep me on board.

Except Kubfu. This might be the one design I just straight up hate and seeing it in motion in the latest direct did nothing to help. We're on month 3 of this and the love is not happening. The design just feels like...it needs something else. Anything else.

I hate how it looks like it might have a snout but actually does not
I hate the facial expressions
I hate how it tries to have something like a head band but does not commit to just having a headband
I despise the proportions.
I hate the weird white pattern on its chest. What is that supposed to imply? Everything else is an awful solid block of gray.

It feels engineered to be cute and fails for me. Which sounds ridiculous because that's most pokemon, many of them are not just accidentally cute. But this goes beyond that and it does not work for me.

I think something that'd go a long way for me is if it had some sort of Gi pattern. Since it's meant to be a trainee pokemon and all, you know? Or a belt.

Thankfully Urshifu is a real slam dunk of a design in my book but it makes Kubfu even worse.

I like how it breaks up the design with a bunch of different simple colors, the "fur clothes" are very charming and fit the theme without standing out too much, the headband naturally fits into its design, it has an actual snout, those knuckle dusters are a nice design flourish, etc.

I hate the weird white pattern on its chest. What is that supposed to imply?
I don't think it's supposed to imply anything. It's just a marking that a lot of real-world bears have (specifically the Asiatic black bear, the sloth bear, and the sun bear, all of which are native to Asia). Have a look for yourself.
Asiatic Black
asiatic_bear_04.jpg

Sloth
sloth_bear_03.jpg

Sun
sun_bear_standing.jpg

I think something that'd go a long way for me is if it had some sort of Gi pattern.
Yeah, that would have been nice. It doesn't even take that much effort to give it one, so I'm surprised Game Freak passed it by.
Kubfu with gi.png

I don't think it's supposed to imply anything. It's just a marking that a lot of real-world bears have (specifically the Asiatic black bear, the sloth bear, and the sun bear, all of which are native to Asia). Have a look for yourself.
Ok seeing it like this, that makese sense. But I dunno it still needs...something better. I think they wanted it to be a a marking similar to this, but look like a "cute" bow?
Yeah, that would have been nice. It doesn't even take that much effort to give it one, so I'm surprised Game Freak passed it by.
View attachment 231632
This does help, a lot, but still want a little more. I made this mock up a while ago because this has been bugging me for weeks now.

I used a stark color just ot have it stand out and I'm not married to the idea, but I think an actual "gi" color marking would help a lot for me. Maybe make it a black gi instead of a red one, just so it flows better into urshifu.
I'd still have issues with its proportions and snout and expression but it'd break up the expanse of gray a lot better.

So the other thread was talking about pokemon design generally being pretty dang good and, for the most part, I agree! Even ones I dony really care for tend to win me over and I can see their charm points even if I personally would not love them. Like Eiscue is...something, alright, but over time it's weirdness has really won me over, for example. Or Jynx, which has....myriad issues, but once it got Purple I think there's some interesting things about it just because of how different from other pokemon it is. I've got issues with Cobalion, it feels a little underdesigned, but I adore the head and honestly the booties are funny enough to keep me on board.

Except Kubfu. This might be the one design I just straight up hate and seeing it in motion in the latest direct did nothing to help. We're on month 3 of this and the love is not happening. The design just feels like...it needs something else. Anything else.

I hate how it looks like it might have a snout but actually does not
I hate the facial expressions
I hate how it tries to have something like a head band but does not commit to just having a headband
I despise the proportions.
I hate the weird white pattern on its chest. What is that supposed to imply? Everything else is an awful solid block of gray.

It feels engineered to be cute and fails for me. Which sounds ridiculous because that's most pokemon, many of them are not just accidentally cute. But this goes beyond that and it does not work for me.

I think something that'd go a long way for me is if it had some sort of Gi pattern. Since it's meant to be a trainee pokemon and all, you know? Or a belt.

Thankfully Urshifu is a real slam dunk of a design in my book but it makes Kubfu even worse.

I like how it breaks up the design with a bunch of different simple colors, the "fur clothes" are very charming and fit the theme without standing out too much, the headband naturally fits into its design, it has an actual snout, those knuckle dusters are a nice design flourish, etc.
Yeah I agree. Although I'll admit, I don't particularly care for the designs of Galar Pokemon in general (as I revealed once before in the past), there are some I care for, but because they're bad, not good. Kubfu is one of the definitive examples of this. Like you already said, that facial expression is just stupid. It makes it ugly, and I hate ugly Pokemon designs. This is coming from a guy who can accept the likes of Electrode's, Muk's, Garbodor's, and Vanniluxe's designs! They get spat upon as "ugly" but I find them just fine. But this? No. It's a horribly designed Pokemon. The proportions and stuff also make it badly designed, I agree. Also like you said, it's even worse that it's pre-evolution actually has a solid design! So that clearly shows Game Freak still has the ability to make good designs! So yeah, why did they mess this up so badly? Heck, they made good baby bear Pokemon in the past too, like Pancham and Cubchoo for example!

I used a stark color just ot have it stand out and I'm not married to the idea, but I think an actual "gi" color marking would help a lot for me.
Ehhhhh, different strokes for different folks, I guess, but I much prefer when a Pokemon evokes the feeling of clothes without it looking too much like they're actually wearing clothes. Compare Gardevoir and Gothitelle with Jynx. Gard and Goth have dress-like features that blend into their bodies, while Jynx looks like she's actually wearing a dress.

Same reason I also disagree with your headband take.

Ehhhhh, different strokes for different folks, I guess, but I much prefer when a Pokemon evokes the feeling of clothes without it looking too much like they're actually wearing clothes. Compare Gardevoir and Gothitelle with Jynx. Gard and Goth have dress-like features that blend into their bodies, while Jynx looks like she's actually wearing a dress.

Same reason I also disagree with your headband take.
They also have something to help break it up, though. Ruffles in the "clothing", segmentation, the weird heart thing, multiple colors to break it up, etc
I dont mind something that implies clothing without "being" clothing by any means, but I don't think Kubfu does enough to do it, even in your pretty nice edit.
Like gothitelle implies hair and kind of an antennae (its like a radio tower gothic lolita) and I think it works pretty well. It's distinctive and it manages to get both points across. Kubfu's "headband" just looks like a blob of white to me and then it has 2 completely unrelated tassles hanging from the end. There's a disconnect there I dont think works.
And my gi idea, i think could still work just...tweaked so its not a rush job in paint. Or at least give it faux-wrist bands. Or more "fur" texture markings scattered around like Beartic has.

They also have something to help break it up, though. Ruffles in the "clothing", segmentation, the weird heart thing, multiple colors to break it up, etc
I dont mind something that implies clothing without "being" clothing by any means, but I don't think Kubfu does enough to do it, even in your pretty nice edit.
Like gothitelle implies hair and kind of an antennae (its like a radio tower gothic lolita) and I think it works pretty well. It's distinctive and it manages to get both points across. Kubfu's "headband" just looks like a blob of white to me and then it has 2 completely unrelated tassles hanging from the end. There's a disconnect there I dont think works.
And my gi idea, i think could still work just...tweaked so its not a rush job in paint. Or at least give it faux-wrist bands. Or more "fur" texture markings scattered around like Beartic has.
Hmm, I think I'm seeing it now. Bands around its wrists and ankles would also help suggest the ends of sleeves. Something like this perhaps?
kubfu with better gi.png

As for the headband, I gave Kubfu extra fur on the back of its head to make it look less a tuft and tassels and more like a continuous band that's partly obscured by fur.
kubfu with hair.png

Hmm, I think I'm seeing it now. Bands around its wrists and ankles would also help suggest the ends of sleeves. Something like this perhaps?
View attachment 231646

As for the headband, I gave Kubfu extra fur on the back of its head to make it look less a tuft and tassels and more like a continuous band that's partly obscured by fur.
View attachment 231647
Yeah that's already loads better in breaking up the space.

IU see the intent of the headband but to me it will always read like a big disconnected tuft [a million yards of gray fur] tassles on the back to me, its too disconnected for my liking. This will probably be my biggest peeve with it.
god seeing it from the side like that just accentuates everything i hate about tis horrible flat face. I think the thing that gets me the most about it is we've already gone down this road before and its name is Teddiura which does not flip any alarms on me

Kubfu makes you want to think there is a snout. That there's depth here. It has a small colored patch and the extreme frowny face resembles a snout from the front, but there's no depth. Then you look from the side and sure enough its just a big ball head.
Teddiursa goes for a more classic teddy bear look, with a big marking for its mouth. You look at that and know it's not a "real" snout, its just a marking on its face.
It also has nicer proportions but that's a different issue.

I just weawized that Wittwewoot Town has 3 buiwdings: The pwayew's, Bwendan/May's and Pwofessow Biwch's wab. Despite this, thewe awe anyothew NPCs hanging awound outside.

So uh...

Whewe do they wive????
The same could be said on a larger scale of just about any settlement in Pokémon until arguably SwSh. I've always just assumed that the Pokémon world the games are set in is a 'scaled down' version of what the world actually looks like, and the actual size of the places and the amount of people/houses/etc in them are more like their anime counterparts.

Yung Dramps

pawsome gaming
is a Pre-Contributor
The same could be said on a larger scale of just about any settlement in Pokémon until arguably SwSh. I've always just assumed that the Pokémon world the games are set in is a 'scaled down' version of what the world actually looks like, and the actual size of the places and the amount of people/houses/etc in them are more like their anime counterparts.
I get what you're saying, but like

1585336447848.png

Take Twinleaf Town from DPP for instance. You got you and Barry's house, but two other homes as well, showing where the other handful of randos in the town likely live. Littleroot has nothing of the sort! But now that you mention it, Pallet Town has the same issue, not New Bark tho. So uhhh... w/e

I get what you're saying, but like

View attachment 231665
Take Twinleaf Town from DPP for instance. You got you and Barry's house, but two other homes as well, showing where the other handful of randos in the town likely live. Littleroot has nothing of the sort! But now that you mention it, Pallet Town has the same issue, not New Bark tho. So uhhh... w/e
Oh if it's a matter of it not being convincing enough to suspend belief, that's fair. I'd agree on that count

I just realized that Littleroot Town has 3 buildings: The player's, Brendan/May's and Professor Birch's lab. Despite this, there are another NPCs hanging around outside.

So uh...

Where do they live????
My guess is that they are from some other place in the region and are visiting these towns you begin in (like Littleroot for example), and just don't say it because you're a total stranger to them.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
All of this just makes one aspect of Regigigas seem even weirder: With its location always being an icy cave, where it's dark and freezing, why is it partially covered in moss?

I think one of the main issues with Kubfu (besides what was already mentioned) is that there's very little to distinguish it from similar Pokémon, and it therefore has very little personality. Especially considering the fact it's an ursine, and there are already many fan-favourite ursines in the series, even only in their base forms.

Teddiursa has plushie attributes (a button nose) and has personality in that it kind of acts like a traditional kid's media bear, with its affinity for honey. It also has the moon connection, and I think is widely considered the cutest ursine in the franchise. Munchlax is teeming with personality, taking advantage of the fact that bears hibernate to have its personality of eating everything and sleeping all the time. Cubchoo is a polar bear, giving it Ice-Type, and has clothing-like patterns to make it look like a baby right alongside its snot-drop that in anime often designates babies or sleeping. Pancham has a rough and tough attitude where it believes it's more intimidating than it is, keeping a leaf in its mouth to seem all gangster, though its attempts to look tough just make it cuter. And Stufful is possibly the most unique ursine, because it's literally an animated stuffed toy complete with a label and extremely disproportionate, fluffy limbs.

What does Kubfu have in comparison? It uh, practises kung fu, I guess. It has personality in that it's a trainee or student that looks up to its evolved form as a "teacher" or "master" of sorts, but the issue is that that isn't evident in its design, and you can't tell that from a glance. Upon first appearance, it really looks like nothing more than a bear that knows martial arts, and Pancham already did a regular Fighting-Type bear better, with more personality outright. I think a large part of the disinterest the community feels towards it is simply that it's overshadowed by the other ursines that offer more to the table, and if they had selected a more interesting or unique base animal they could have gotten away with its only personality trait being kung fu.

However, there are loads of ways they could have distinguished Kubfu. They could have Urshifu give Kubfu robes with a white belt made out of some sort of material that it wears all the time in honour of its master -- we already have an example of this where Leavanny crafts "clothing" out of leaves for Swadloon, and Urshifu's design creates the impression of a black belt with how its darker, black fur hangs down around its generally grey body. They could have had Kubfu be a Dark/Water-Type Pokémon, with the focus of its design being on the two types of energy it will later choose between to harness as an Urshifu, but that are both dormant within it in its base form. It would even go a long way to have Kubfu holding the traditional fist-held-in-open-palm stance that students use to show respect to their teachers in martial arts in its official artwork or perhaps even idle pose in-battle.

Kubfu is just a lot of missed opportunities, and feels like a fairly personality-less bare minimum design. It's strange, because it's a reversion back to the Gen I style designs of "it's a seal called Seel" or "it's a rat called Rattata", and even they had something distinguishing about them such as Seel's tail that's reminiscent of a fountain/water spout and Rattata's oversized buckteeth and interesting colouring. I wonder if its personality is just lost in translation and that practising kung fu is enough to be a distinguishing personality in Japanese culture, whereas because it's not such a big part of Western culture we just care less about it. After all, we've had other Pokémon before Kubfu whose personalities are primarily based on their martial arts of choice -- Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Throh, and Sawk -- though admittedly these designs all had other interesting aspects to them that also allowed them to appeal to a Western audience. When it comes down to it, Kubfu really is just a bear, and its markings are such that they're not clearly something other than a regular bear -- we have bears with the same sorts of patterns on the chest, and whether it's real or not I can picture a real bear with the same white half-band on its forehead. It's just not that cartoony or exaggerated in any way.

Last edited:

DreamPrince

Formerly Leader Wallace
Calyrex

On the topic of why Kubfu, its not very interesting, I'd like to point out why it fails as legendary Pokemon is that its just given to you- no challenge or anything. Sheesh, for such a rare Pokemon its quite surprising that its just conveniently given to a stranger you just met. I don't think its as bad Calyrex though.

When you first look at this thing, what is supposed to be ? A hare? A bud? An Anthropomorphic Deer? Lot of its design is unclear. Look at those skinny legs? How is it supposed carry that huge-thing-a-bob on its head? Speaking of the head, it's apparently supposed to be a crown and brain cross, but this is poorly executed. The head doesn't have crown colors or traditions ( gold and jewelry potentially ) and it doesn't have any markings to suggest that its a brain at all. The beads have the Hōjō clan symbol, but that's a Japanese thing so most foreigners would not pick up on that. It looks like an oversized bulb, which might explain the grass type, but where does the Psychic type come from again? A simple Calyrex levitate instead of having legs- that would make the bulb more look like a brain. And give the brain more the details, like some swirls for the brain reference and some brighter colors to indicate a crown. An ornament on the top wouldn't hurt either. Its highly intelligent? So is Alakazam, Deoxys, Eon Duo, Lapras, and Dragonite. It's a King? So is Zacian/Zamazenta as well as Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem.

I also agree that Calyrex has little to separate it from previous Pokemon. Typing wise, its another Psychic Legendary, which already has the: Mew Duo, Lugia, Celebi, Eon Duo, Dexoxys, Jirachi, Lake Guardians, Cresselia, Victini, Meloetta, Hoopa, Tapu Lele, and the Light Trio. Celebi is particularly stiff competition- They have the same typing, but Celebi incorporates it much better. Celebi is green pixie that can fly through time with wings- it head reassembles a plant and is much more likable than to cute eyes. Even Calyrex's ability to see into the future is done by Celebi, who can travel in time, a much more powerful way of seeing into the future. Though even " just seeing into the future " is done by Xatu, who literally stands still dedicating itself for seeing the future and present. Xatu's design reflects that too, being a Totem pole, who just stands there all through eternity.

Calyrex

A simple Calyrex levitate instead of having legs- that would make the bulb more look like a brain.
I'm pretty sure it is levitating. The limp, skinny legs gives off the impression at least, and so does the top-heavy design paired with a psychic typing (see Beheeyem). At least I always saw it as levitating, that would be horrific if it's somehow standing in that pose.

Calyrex's big huge giant brain that looks like a flower's bud (the japanese name is literally Bud Rex and its english name comes from the latin word for bud) lets it levitate because big brain = big psychic power, the extremely slim legs imply they are near vestigal (because of the brain) and adds a sense of grace to its movements and its unsettling gaze implies its weird psychic powers like probably mindreading and seeing the future and junk.
It gives off the sense that its a big brain because its literally a giant bulbous growth on top of this eerie floating things tiny head & body. The microsecond it hit I saw like a hundred brain-based memes so I don't think there's any real confusion here.

The giant beads & tiny cape also give a sense of importance and regalness so it fits the king's theme, as does its demeanor.

I see that design and I see 0 confusion as to why it's a Psychic & Grass type.

Also we see it levitating when its unveiled, the website says its levitating and there's even artwork of it floating around

honestly? one of my favorite lgendary designs, i love it.

The Ability "Sap Sipper" being so named in English localizations. The original name of "Herbivorous" fits better for the Pokemon with this Ability, like Bouffalant and Goodra.

If someone said, "But kids wouldn't understand that", a) you're underestimating kids' intelligence, and b) if it had to be changed even something like "Plant Eater" would be fine. "Sap Sipper" makes me think of beetles, not large animals like Bouffalant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 0)