(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I mean the entire point of the PK obedience level is supposed to be to stop you from using OP Pokemon (within the sense of over-leveling) to just cheese the entire game, or at least make it more difficult for you to do so. After all, it would be superbly easy to beat everything in the DP campaign with a lvl 100 Mewtwo or something that just Psystriked everything 100% of the time would it not?

Furthermore, your starter should be your highest level Pokemon if you use it regularly and don't bring in transferred Pokemon. Your starter will obey you regardless, even if you break the obedience level with it. Thus, in cases where your opponent has Pokemon above the obedience level, your starter is probably intended to be your premier Pokemon (such is the case with Roark). At least with the obedience level there is some challenge to be had if you try and bring Pokemon that are or will over-level.

Maybe if the obedience level was tied to game difficulty (such if they brought back Challenge Mode from Gen 5) then it would be plausible to tie its inclusion to the higher difficulty, but otherwise it's just a good balancing mechanic.
Except the problem with obedience for me is that it's giving me trouble for using a traded pokemon in a normal playthough, that is level 11. That is a level under the first gyms lowest leveled pokemon. Amusing your theory of starter pokemon is correct, in both Roark's team and my team the star pokemon was two levels higher than the other members of your team. Sending in a traded pokemon as one of your team mates who is the same level as Roark's lowest leveled pokemon still hits the level cap. In route 205 the area before Eterna city wild pokemon can break the level cap and all trainer's pokemon but one Geodude break the level cap. It won't even really balance the game from a lv100 Mewtwo with the level cap. The mewtwo is most likely to one shot everything and take minimal damage from every thing so using the wrong attack or not attacking at all isn't much of an issue. While it may stall battles even if it takes Mewtwo 20 turns to attack a level 2 Bidoof it's not like it's going to let the Bidoof win or anything. I just feel like the levels for obedience were not tested at all as either it becomes a problem when playing the game normally when trading in a level one pokemon at the beginning or not much of a problem with that level 100 Mewtwo still storming though the early game or being able to trade in pokemon a few levels under the high level cap.

USM did an alright job in terms of what levels each stamp allows, although they're still a little high. Level 20 until after Hala is a bit higher than his ace but not overwhelmingly so, up to 35 is reasonable for Olivia although again somewhat high, 50 until after Nanu is fine, and 65 until after Hapu is still a bit high but about right. Level 80 until after the league is obviously high enough to stomp the league's faces in, but it does mean no level 100 stomp at least.
Yeah. USM does do a pretty good job at balancing the level cap. It's a few levels higher than the ace pokemon of the kahuna which is perfect in case of the person wanting to grind or the traded pokemon overleveling due to the increased experience gain. Though it does get high starting at Nanu at 11 levels apart. For all of the caps it is 5, 8, 11, 17 and 22 above the highest leveled pokemon the boss has for SM. The boss's pokemon do get closer to the level cap in USM though.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You'd figure the devs at Nintendo would learn from the backlash that Skyward Sword's Fi got and put a stop to the Rotom Dex for that precise reason.
I would have thought they had learned that after Navi in Ocarina of Time and how her constant annoyance is the only thing people have ever said about the character since.

I Hate that Johto and Alola don't have their own fossil pokemon.... I like my sweet succulent scientific accuracy.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would have thought they had learned that after Navi in Ocarina of Time and how her constant annoyance is the only thing people have ever said about the character since.
I feel like this is more of a meme that a legit complaint since Navi's pretty tame and not too hard to ignore.

Like her voice prompt is a bit grating but you can ignore her.

Would being annoyed by a whole region still count as a "little thing"? Well, sure hope it does, because that's the topic of today's ramble. I'm not sure if this is a very common sentiment, but I've come to really dislike Alola as a region. I'm not talking about the gameplay, Pokemon, story, or cutscenes of (Ultra) Sun/Moon, but the region itself.

I can't help but wonder if we would hear as many complaints about the handholding/railroading if Alola had more to explore, places off the beaten path that you could go if you wanted a break from the main storyline. The problem is that not only is the region tiny, but the only places I can think of that aren't part of the "story corridor" are Haina Desert and Blush Mountain. Blush Mountain is admittedly fairly interesting (especially for someone like me who's a sucker for engineering stuff), but can be fully "explored" in under a minute, while Haina Desert doesn't feel fun to go through, instead a tedious maze that you have to solve to get the Psychium Z and Tapu Bulu.

Alola feels tiny due to a lack of optional areas for sure, but another factor is that the routes themselves feel not only cramped, but also too well established. Route 2 is my favourite example of this - it's a straight path with houses, a Pokemon center, and even a paved road. How sure are we, really, that it's a Route and not just an extension of Hau'oli City? Now, I recognize that these are all things that we have seen in past games; the difference here is that routes in past regions (yes, even Unova) had areas you had to work to get to and reasons to go there, be it trainers, items, or entrances to other areas. With Alola? Not so much. For the most part, there's no reason to go off the beaten path. There's often no "off the beaten path" at all.

I also feel like splitting the region into 4 of what are essentially sub-regions was a really poor choice, even if it works from a flavour perspective, because it severely limits the player's ability to naturally backtrack. As an example: Who remembers, in Hoenn, going north of Slateport City and then west of the Trick House, and then suddenly hearing the Route music from way back at the beginning of the game? That blew my mind when I was a kid playing through Sapphire for the first time! And then I learned that once I got Surf, I could have a nice shortcut back to the starting area! Other instances of this are returning to Mauville from Lilycove via Route 123 and Route 115 no longer being one-way (and having that massive secret area) once you have Surf. Not a fan of Hoenn? Well, Cinnabar Island looping back around to Pallet Town, being able to return to Violet City once you beat Sudowoodo, and the point where Lumiose City opens up are all standouts from other regions. A side effect of this linearity is that, apart from Aether Paradise, once you finish with an area, you never have any reason to return to it. There's no opportunities to go back to an earlier area and have more business to do, making Alola altogether a very forgettable region. Unova had this same problem, of course, but I feel like it got better to a degree in BW2 while being even worse in Alola.

Kanto had the Seafoam Islands, Power Plant, and Cerulean Cave, each one a large, optional dungeon with a Legendary at the end. Johto had... well, all of Kanto, as well as Lugia's and Ho-oh's dungeons, as well as a ton of hidden areas on normal routes. Hoenn had the area of Pacifidlog Town, which you'll probably skip altogether on a normal playthrough of Ruby/Sapphire, but that is home to Sky Pillar, the Sealed Chamber, and Mirage Island. Sinnoh had I think the best postgame areas we've seen to date, as well as some very intricate route designs that took a long time to fully explore. Unova is the point where the games started to get more linear, but it still had Mistralton Cave as well as tons of optional areas in its storyline dungeons, with even more in BW2. Kalos had Terminus Cave, all of Lumiose, and again wide-open routes with a lot of things being easy to miss. All of the past regions have had places to explore that didn't have to do with the main story, as well as routes that felt worth it to explore, two things that Alola quite badly lacks.

As usual, this post got to be a lot more long-winded than I expected, so to recap: the Alola region annoys me because it has very few non-plot-centric areas; its routes are cramped, straightforward, and often little more than roads with tall grass to the sides; and it is linearity rivals that of BW Unova, which didn't have the previous two issues.

Alola annoys me for other reasons as well, but those will have to go in a future post, since I've rambled too much in this one already.

EDIT: Somehow, I completely forgot that there are actual optional locations in Alola, namely Ten Carat Hill, the cemeteries, and Kala'e Bay. And yeah, they're pretty cool! 10K hill in particular is the only place to catch Rockruff, so it definitely scores points, as do the cemeteries for providing early-game Murkrow and Misdreavus, two of my favourite Pokemon. The only issue, and it's a small one, is that you have to backtrack a fair bit to get to most of them, which is tough in a game where the plot is constantly pushing you forwards.

Last edited:
Alola also feels too "cramped". Like the first two islands gives you so much interesting Pokemon to catch that they seem to run out in the last two islands as all you ever see are Donald Trumps everywhere. Like - if I've ignored them for two islands, why does Game Freak thing shoving them in my face is going to do? I know the lores say they infest Alola but a little Gameplay and Story Segregation should be applied here as bumping into the same trash over and over isn't my idea of "fun".

Codraroll

Cod Mod
I feel like this is more of a meme that a legit complaint since Navi's pretty tame and not too hard to ignore.

Like her voice prompt is a bit grating but you can ignore her.
Yes, but the takeaway should be fairly simple: Unsolicited advice and useless notifications that pop up beyond the player's control are annoying. People don't want to be interrupted by stuff they don't have to listen to. Navi became a meme because people remember how annoying her constant "Listen!" was. Most of the game industry learned this a long time ago, but Game Freak made that dumb mistake with the PSS in XY, then ramped it up to eleven with USUM's Rotom Dex.

Heck, it might be cynical of me, but at times I keep wondering if Game Freak is really competent at all. RBY were amazing games for their time, truly groundbreaking, and the rest of the series is incredibly fun to play too, but they keep making really dumb mistakes. Someone ought to have realized for RSE that if half the map is going to be water, they should put more than three different Pokémon in it. The over-reliance of HMs in Sinnoh should have set off a few bells. Maybe, just maybe, Wingull and Pelipper should have been less common in SM because they were so shoved down players' throats in ORAS. Mechanics like Mega Evolution and Z-moves (and gender differences, seasons, dynamic music, etc.) seem to have been introduced with no consideration whatsoever for what they would do with them after the games where they were introduced as gimmicks. And of course, unskippable cutscenes and the Rotom Dex in Gen VII. Misunderstand me not, the games are still amazingly fun to play, but it's as if Game Freak refuses to acknowledge that the rest of the game industry has learned a few lessons it would be wise to listen to. They insist on doing everything their own way because that worked out so well for them in 1996. It took awfully long for them to stop dropping news about their games exclusively through Japan-only magazines, as if the demographics they sold RGBY to in the late nineties haven't changed a bit since then. Heck, Gen I is still pushed to the limelight as if the primary consumers of Pokémon were six-year-old kids with a nostalgia for playing RGBY on the Game Boy. Somebody at the Game Freak HQ really needs to draw up that Venn diagram and re-evaluate their strategy.

Alola also feels too "cramped". Like the first two islands gives you so much interesting Pokemon to catch that they seem to run out in the last two islands as all you ever see are Donald Trumps everywhere. Like - if I've ignored them for two islands, why does Game Freak thing shoving them in my face is going to do? I know the lores say they infest Alola but a little Gameplay and Story Segregation should be applied here as bumping into the same trash over and over isn't my idea of "fun".
I think they should stay common, but the whole distribution of different species should be overhauled. This post and the previous one are really about the same thing, in my opinion. No one involved in designing the games seems to care about realism in how the regions are designed.

Obviously what we’re seeing is representational. Each city is actually much bigger, with many more people than we see, etc., but that’s much harder to overlook and still see areas as real when the graphics have moved so much closer to “real” proportions over the last couple of generations.

It’s always been the case that you can walk out of a city and find totally wild ‘mons right nextdoor, but that’s also become harder to overlook. Paved roads just end and turn into the games’ attempt at wilderness, etc. Basically, what I’m suggesting is the cities should be much bigger (or at minimum represented to be with more visual tricks to show buildings in the distance and so on) and the separation between the settled areas (which should be plausible and connected, etc.) and the wild area should be much greater. Yungoos should be common and extremely annoying, but there should be areas where you rightly expect to see it everywhere and others where you rightly don’t.

I’m not sure exactly how I’d approach it, but it would make everything much more immersive while solving some of the gameplay problems that have been discussed.

Heck, Gen I is still pushed to the limelight as if the primary consumers of Pokémon were six-year-old kids with a nostalgia for playing RGBY on the Game Boy. Somebody at the Game Freak HQ really needs to draw up that Venn diagram and re-evaluate their strategy.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree with this as someone who is neither 6 years old nor has gen 1 nostalgia. However, I'd like to play Devil's Advocate here, because I think there is one demographic that you're forgetting. Those kids who were playing Pokemon RGBY in 1996 are all grown up now, but some of them now have little kids of their own. What better game could there be for the parents and the kids to enjoy together than one that's kid-friendly but still appeals to the nostalgia of the parents?

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree with this as someone who is neither 6 years old nor has gen 1 nostalgia. However, I'd like to play Devil's Advocate here, because I think there is one demographic that you're forgetting. Those kids who were playing Pokemon RGBY in 1996 are all grown up now, but some of them now have little kids of their own. What better game could there be for the parents and the kids to enjoy together than one that's kid-friendly but still appeals to the nostalgia of the parents?
That's what they mentioned was the intention of making it a remake of Yellow.

Those kids who were playing Pokemon RGBY in 1996 are all grown up now, but some of them now have little kids of their own. What better game could there be for the parents and the kids to enjoy together than one that's kid-friendly but still appeals to the nostalgia of the parents?
So they're targeting parents like this?

So they're targeting parents like this?
While those assholes do exist, it's pretty clear that their intention is for when the kid is playing Pokémon and their parent goes "oh, Pokémon? I remember that! Ooh, Vulpix and Raichu! We had those back in the day, but they look a bit different now!"
It better allows kids to connect with their parents and enjoy talking about their interests. I would have given an arm and a leg when I was 9 for my parents to understand anything I was saying about Pokémon.

While those assholes do exist, it's pretty clear that their intention is for when the kid is playing Pokémon and their parent goes "oh, Pokémon? I remember that! Ooh, Vulpix and Raichu! We had those back in the day, but they look a bit different now!"
It better allows kids to connect with their parents and enjoy talking about their interests. I would have given an arm and a leg when I was 9 for my parents to understand anything I was saying about Pokémon.
And then they play together.

I'd love to see co-op in the regular games, but I think Let's Go only has co-op precisely for that - parent teaches child about Pokémon while playing the game together.

Why can't Mew learn Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, Draco Meteor, Grass Pledge, Fire Pledge, Water Pledge, Relic Song, Secret Sword or Dragon Ascent at the Move Tutors?

I've been meaning to this for a long time, so here we go:

Why doesn't Tornadus learn Nasty Plot? Thundurus and Landorus can learn Nasty Plot and Swords Dance respectivley, but not Tornadus?

Why is Ice weak to Rock? I remember when I was little I was watching the Magic School Bus episode in which Ms. Frizzle shows Ralphie that Ice freezing causes the rock to shatter, this lead me to believe that Ice should be against Rock, so that's always bugged me.

Lot of Poison Pokemon entries state that their acid is corrosive enough melt steel like Dragalge, so why is steel immune to poison?

I know Mimikyu is OP and all, but I just can't feel the concept is so lazy and overated. Its the laziest ( not to mention sad ) concept ever, they just put Pikachu mask because its too shy to make friends. It even gets its own song... Sheesh... GF your not helping poor Mimikyu.

That's all for now.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
This thing really annoys me:

No, not Spinda itself. I mean, it's pretty bad, but some Pokémon have to be at the bottom of the barrel after all. But the mechanic associated with it. Famously, Spinda has four spots on its head whose location is determined by its Personal Value. This generates an effectively infinite variation of patterns, making every Spinda unique. This mechanic was first implemented in RSE, and has been retained in every game since.

And Spinda remains the only Pokémon to make use of it.

Again: Game Freak created a mechanic that allowed for infinite pattern variation in Pokémon, implemented it for one single, forgettable Pokémon, chose to support the mechanic in every game from its introduction, and never did anything else with it. Why?

I mean, I guess the idea was to retain Spinda's unique gimmick, but come on. They really couldn't bring themselves to use it again? When the Hoenn starters got signature moves as their gimmick, it took only one generation before those moves were handed out like candy to other Pokémon. Yet for some reason, the incredible infinite variation mechanic is locked to Spinda alone.

Just imagine the possibilities if it was used elsewhere! They wouldn't have to use it only for the placement of spots. What about RGB values, creating an infinite variation in colours instead? Or particle effects? Or other randomized patterns? There exists a tool for infinite variation of individual Pokémon, it has been implemented into the games for over a decade, and yet Spinda is the only Pokémon to make use of it. If that isn't waste, I don't know what is.

Just imagine the possibilities if it was used elsewhere! They wouldn't have to use it only for the placement of spots. What about RGB values, creating an infinite variation in colours instead? Or particle effects? Or other randomized patterns? There exists a tool for infinite variation of individual Pokémon, it has been implemented into the games for over a decade, and yet Spinda is the only Pokémon to make use of it. If that isn't waste, I don't know what is.
My assumption is that while updating Spinda's "code" for this mechanic is not particularly cost-heavy as far as development goes, actually designing it a second time for another pokemon would probably take excessive either artist or 3dgraphicing or whatever to consider it worth applying to more pokemon.

Ultimately, Spinda just gets a minor retexturing by moving red dots around, it's probably not too complicate to replicate it.

Different would be to do something a bit more elaborate for another mon from 0.

(Though, don't get me wrong, I do agree it's something they definitely could look into replicating kinda like they bothered with sex differences in latest gens)

Why doesn't Tornadus learn Nasty Plot? Thundurus and Landorus can learn Nasty Plot and Swords Dance respectivley, but not Tornadus?

Why is Ice weak to Rock? I remember when I was little I was watching the Magic School Bus episode in which Ms. Frizzle shows Ralphie that Ice freezing causes the rock to shatter, this lead me to believe that Ice should be against Rock, so that's always bugged me.

Lot of Poison Pokemon entries state that their acid is corrosive enough melt steel like Dragalge, so why is steel immune to poison?

I know Mimikyu is OP and all, but I just can't feel the concept is so lazy and overated. Its the laziest ( not to mention sad ) concept ever, they just put Pikachu mask because its too shy to make friends. It even gets its own song... Sheesh... GF your not helping poor Mimikyu.

That's all for now.
Watch what happens when you throw a rock at a sheet of ice. Or smack it with a metal object. Or introduce it to your fist. Congratulations! You now know why Ice is weak to Rock, Steel, and Fighting.

Well, Tornadus gets Tailwind to double its team's Speed for four turns...

That's all for now.
That's probably why Ground is weak to Ice, though you're right that Rock should also be weak to Ice. It would have been the weakness duo to Bug-Fighting and Normal-Ghost's resistance and immunity duos.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
This thing really annoys me:

No, not Spinda itself. I mean, it's pretty bad, but some Pokémon have to be at the bottom of the barrel after all. But the mechanic associated with it. Famously, Spinda has four spots on its head whose location is determined by its Personal Value. This generates an effectively infinite variation of patterns, making every Spinda unique. This mechanic was first implemented in RSE, and has been retained in every game since.

And Spinda remains the only Pokémon to make use of it.

Again: Game Freak created a mechanic that allowed for infinite pattern variation in Pokémon, implemented it for one single, forgettable Pokémon, chose to support the mechanic in every game from its introduction, and never did anything else with it. Why?

I mean, I guess the idea was to retain Spinda's unique gimmick, but come on. They really couldn't bring themselves to use it again? When the Hoenn starters got signature moves as their gimmick, it took only one generation before those moves were handed out like candy to other Pokémon. Yet for some reason, the incredible infinite variation mechanic is locked to Spinda alone.

Maybe it's just too difficult to do again? They'd have to take the mechanic into account when designing any Pokémon that would use it, plus there's the programming stuff.

Or we can just assume incompetence. I'm not picky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)