(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

i might be wrong on this, but i'm pretty sure you can still do this. in gen 6 and 7 you can hold down and drag the move on the status screen and in gen 4 and 5 you can press select (?) with the move highlighted to move it around.
You definitely can't do that in battle, which is what the complaint is about. You can move them around as much as you want outside of battle, but in battle you can't move them at all.

I hate just how thoroughly outclassed Hyper Cutter, Big Pecks, and Iron Fist are as abilities, and how easy it would be to make them not outclassed.
While some abilities are simply outclassed, they are no problem and sometimes even good as long as they fit the mon and allow for creativity. For Iron Fist for example, it makes sense for the mons that get it, while also encouraging the player to look for moves that otherwise dont get to see much daylight. There will always be outclassed stuff and you can go down that rabbit hole as far as you like. If you think about it stuff like though claws is STILL outclassed by other abilities like parental bond or adapability.
There is a far bigger question in the room that a lot of people dont get is :
"Why make bad abilities/moves/pokemon in the first place?"
Many dont know this. While it is somewhat offtopic, but this magic article and video offer a good insight into this. TLDR: The bad stuff is not for the good players that see it is bad. It is for the people that DIDNT YET see WHY it is bad.

Rattled also doesn't grant immunity to the relevant types.
On a related note, of all the mons that get Justified, only three (Growlithe/Arcanine, Gallade) don't resist Dark, and the Fire-types have better abilities to be running anyway. Compare to Rattled, where several mons with the ability are neutral to all three types, and in fact three mons (Meowth-A/Persian-A, Poochyena) are weak to one. (Oh, and Dunsparce and Whismur are immune to Ghost, reducing the ability's utility.)

It annoys me that you cant switch the order of moves in battle anymore. I cant think of a good reason why they abolished this after gen 3.
Touch screens. With every move being nearly-equally accessible in terms of button presses (since you can just tap the move button), swapping move order in battle is not necessary.

Then there's moves like Conversion now making switching move order in-battle actually a bad idea. I mean, that would make Z-Conversion a buffed one-time Protean lol

Touch screens. With every move being nearly-equally accessible in terms of button presses (since you can just tap the move button), swapping move order in battle is not necessary.

Then there's moves like Conversion now making switching move order in-battle actually a bad idea. I mean, that would make Z-Conversion a buffed one-time Protean lol
I dont know how other people do it but I still mostly use buttons and not the touch screen to choose moves. Doing it with the touch screen feels awkward for me. I dont know why it would have been a problem to just simple keep the option in addition to the touch screen.
Conversion is still a buffed one time protean with z-moves. You would just have the option to possibly change into 3 different types, which hardly would make it too good. And since only the porygon line even gets the move, this shouldnt even be a factor.

I dont know how other people do it but I still mostly use buttons and not the touch screen to choose moves. Doing it with the touch screen feels awkward for me. I dont know why it would have been a problem to just simple keep the option in addition to the touch screen.
Conversion is still a buffed one time protean with z-moves. You would just have the option to possibly change into 3 different types, which hardly would make it too good. And since only the porygon line even gets the move, this shouldnt even be a factor.
It would still make it better, and having the usefulness of a move rely on a quirk of the user interface that may change in the future is a bad idea.

true, but they still did exactly this
But that's a Pokemon. Game Freak will make its evolution work in a new way if it has to. (but they won't for awhile because the Switch has gyroscopes in the Joy-Con to identify being turned upside-down) Being able to change the order of moves around in battle is ultimately unneeded, and may even be something they want to avoid given online matches usually have timers for move selection.

And honestly... how much time are you really saving by reordering a Pokemon's moves in battle over just moving the cursor to the move you want from the last move used?

But that's a Pokemon. Game Freak will make its evolution work in a new way if it has to. (but they won't for awhile because the Switch has gyroscopes in the Joy-Con to identify being turned upside-down) Being able to change the order of moves around in battle is ultimately unneeded, and may even be something they want to avoid given online matches usually have timers for move selection.

And honestly... how much time are you really saving by reordering a Pokemon's moves in battle over just moving the cursor to the move you want from the last move used?
Of course it is a little thing, hence why I am posting in this thread. It is a quality of life thing, nothing more.

With the Latis distribution, I'd like to take a moment to mention that Luster Purge and Mist Ball (70 BP, 5 PP. 100% Acc, 50% 1-stage effect, 0% usage) could have been upgraded to be more like Seed Flare (120 BP, 5 PP, 85% Acc, 40% 2-stage effect, 100% usage)

Also, I'd like to take the opportunity to bitch complain about Synchronize not affecting Mystery Gift mons.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
With the Latis distribution, I'd like to take a moment to mention that Luster Purge and Mist Ball (70 BP, 5 PP. 100% Acc, 50% 1-stage effect, 0% usage) could have been upgraded to be more like Seed Flare (120 BP, 5 PP, 85% Acc, 40% 2-stage effect, 100% usage)
Would personally rather see them become 90 Power to they're on par with Psychic. I personally think that a Signature Move should either be equal to or better than the usual move that Pokemon would have if it didn't have the Signature Move. Looking through some other Signature Moves:

Meowth family: Pay Day (40 Power Normal-type move that secondary effect is giving you money equal to five times the user's level. Bleh, there's usually quicker ways to make money not to mention you're given enough money during the game you don't need to money grind either. Sadly Pay Day is competing with Return or at least Slash so it would need a major overhaul to be considered over them. It's also entirely useless on the Alolan Meowth family)
Kadabra/Alakazam: Kinesis (Decreases target's Accuracy by 1 stage... and has an Accuracy of 80. Like, why? You would think a Signature move for Alakazam would be pretty powerful, but it's just a glorified Flash!)
Exeggcute Family: Barrage (A multi-strike Signature Move could potentially have been useful... if it had more Power, got STAB, and was the right offense category. Like make is a Special Psychic-type Tail Slap and it could be decent... if they also got the Skill Link Ability...)
Alolan Exeggutor: Dragon Hammer (At best Barrage had the excuse it was a Gen I move where GF had no idea what they were doing... Dragon Hammer doesn't. Like, at least make Alolan Exeggutor a Physical attacker instead! Why should it use Dragon Hammer instead of Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse?)
Octillery: Octazooka (With there being Surf and Hydro Pump, Octazooka ought to up its Power from 65. Not helping it a lower Accuracy, the secondary effect is nice though doesn't really justify the Power and Accuracy loss)
Delibird: Present (Why? Just why? Only way of saving this move is a complete overhaul of what it does)
Hitmonlee/Hitmontop: Triple Kick & Rolling Kick (Triple Kick is a multi-hit move which max Power is 60 if all strikes hit. A Brick Break is more powerful and has a useful secondary effect on top of that. Not to mention they learn Close Combat (And Hitmonlee gets Jump Kick & High Jump Kick). Rolling Kick has the workings of a good move, the 30% chance to Flinch is nice but has 60 Power and 85 Accuracy. Need to either pump up the Power or Accuracy (or both, Air Slash seems to have no problem being 75 Power and 95% accurate)).
Makuhita family: Smelling Salts (Nothing wrong with the move itself, just that it doesn't get STAB. Plus they don't have a good way of Paralyzing the opponent, best they have is Force Palm with only a 30% chance (and gets STAB)... but why do all this work when they get Close Combat, Brick Break, and even Wake-Up Slap which all get STAB and good power?)
Latios & Latias: Mist Ball & Luster Purge (It's just that low Power which is a problem, make it 90 like Psychic!)
Heatmor: Fire Lash (While Heatmor's Attack is only 10 points lower than Special Attack, still why aren't we using it's strongest offense stat?)
Helioptile family: Electrify (Would have really been interesting if the Helioptile got the Electric-type absorbing Abilities)

Would personally rather see them become 90 Power to they're on par with Psychic. I personally think that a Signature Move should either be equal to or better than the usual move that Pokemon would have if it didn't have the Signature Move. Looking through some other Signature Moves:

Meowth family: Pay Day (40 Power Normal-type move that secondary effect is giving you money equal to five times the user's level. Bleh, there's usually quicker ways to make money not to mention you're given enough money during the game you don't need to money grind either. Sadly Pay Day is competing with Return or at least Slash so it would need a major overhaul to be considered over them. It's also entirely useless on the Alolan Meowth family)
Kadabra/Alakazam: Kinesis (Decreases target's Accuracy by 1 stage... and has an Accuracy of 80. Like, why? You would think a Signature move for Alakazam would be pretty powerful, but it's just a glorified Flash!)
Exeggcute Family: Barrage (A multi-strike Signature Move could potentially have been useful... if it had more Power, got STAB, and was the right offense category. Like make is a Special Psychic-type Tail Slap and it could be decent... if they also got the Skill Link Ability...)
Alolan Exeggutor: Dragon Hammer (At best Barrage had the excuse it was a Gen I move where GF had no idea what they were doing... Dragon Hammer doesn't. Like, at least make Alolan Exeggutor a Physical attacker instead! Why should it use Dragon Hammer instead of Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse?)
Octillery: Octazooka (With there being Surf and Hydro Pump, Octazooka ought to up its Power from 65. Not helping it a lower Accuracy, the secondary effect is nice though doesn't really justify the Power and Accuracy loss)
Delibird: Present (Why? Just why? Only way of saving this move is a complete overhaul of what it does)
Hitmonlee/Hitmontop: Triple Kick & Rolling Kick (Triple Kick is a multi-hit move which max Power is 60 if all strikes hit. A Brick Break is more powerful and has a useful secondary effect on top of that. Not to mention they learn Close Combat (And Hitmonlee gets Jump Kick & High Jump Kick). Rolling Kick has the workings of a good move, the 30% chance to Flinch is nice but has 60 Power and 85 Accuracy. Need to either pump up the Power or Accuracy (or both, Air Slash seems to have no problem being 75 Power and 95% accurate)).
Makuhita family: Smelling Salts (Nothing wrong with the move itself, just that it doesn't get STAB. Plus they don't have a good way of Paralyzing the opponent, best they have is Force Palm with only a 30% chance (and gets STAB)... but why do all this work when they get Close Combat, Brick Break, and even Wake-Up Slap which all get STAB and good power?)
Latios & Latias: Mist Ball & Luster Purge (It's just that low Power which is a problem, make it 90 like Psychic!)
Heatmor: Fire Lash (While Heatmor's Attack is only 10 points lower than Special Attack, still why aren't we using it's strongest offense stat?)
Helioptile family: Electrify (Would have really been interesting if the Helioptile got the Electric-type absorbing Abilities)
Don't forget Zygarde's Land's Wrath and Core Enforcer. The former is completely outclassed by the other two signature moves AND Earthquake, while the latter was introduced in the same gen as Moongeist Beam/Sunsteel Strike and Photon Geyser, so there's really no excuse.

I personally think that a Signature Move should either be equal to or better than the usual move that Pokemon would have if it didn't have the Signature Move.
No kidding. Worst offenders are probably Pikachu's 2 exclusive Z-Moves, as they waste the item slot and don't even match Light Ball. Why choose a single-use 210-power move or 195-power move, over a multi-use 240-power move?

(10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt might have been useful if only its critical hit boost was +3 instead of +2. A single-use 292.5-power move would at least have a niche over a multi-use 240-power move. As is, a move that's a 50:50 coin flip between 195 power or 292.5 power, and can only be used one time, is far too volatile. And to make matters worse you can't just equip a Scope Lens to get that one guaranteed critical hit - you'll have to spend at least one turn setting something up at which point it's no longer worth it.)

Don't forget Zygarde's Land's Wrath and Core Enforcer. The former is completely outclassed by the other two signature moves AND Earthquake, while the latter was introduced in the same gen as Moongeist Beam/Sunsteel Strike and Photon Geyser, so there's really no excuse.
To get pedantic - Land's Wrath doesn't hit allies in Doubles, and Core Enforcer's effect can last for multiple turns.

Last edited:
To get pedantic - Land's Wrath doesn't hit allies in Doubles, and Core Enforcer's effect can last for multiple turns.
That's not pedantic at all when it's absolutely huge for doubles.
Except both Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows also don't hit allies.

Core Enforcer's by itself isn't a bad move, but there's too much going on against it: it has to compete with the more powerful Outrage and Draco Meteor, it's a Special move on a Pokemon with access to Dragon Dance and Coil, and it has to move second on a Pokemon with access to Dragon Dance and Glare.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Core Enforcer's by itself isn't a bad move, but there's too much going on against it: (...) and it has to move second on a Pokemon with access to Dragon Dance and Glare.
Oh, yeah, I completely forgot about that little problem with it. GF, why? Why does it have to move last in order to get the effects of Core Enforcer?

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot about that little problem with it. GF, why? Why does it have to move last in order to get the effects of Core Enforcer?
Presumably it went like this:
GF Dev #1: Core Enforcer is a 100 BP physical move that disables abilities? That's way too OP! Better make it so it only disables when going last. Also, I better not tell ANYONE I made this change.
GF Dev #2: Core Enforcer is a 100 BP physical move that disables abilities? That's way too OP! Better make it special to balance it. Also, I better not check the changelog before I do this, nor discuss this change with ANYONE.
GF Dev #3: Core Enforcer is a 100 BP physical move that disables abilities? That's way too OP! Better make it a non-damaging move... and we're shipping. Crap. We'll have to balance it with a patch after launch *laughs himself into a coma*

Presumably it went like this:
GF Dev #1: Core Enforcer is a 100 BP physical move that disables abilities? That's way too OP! Better make it so it only disables when going last. Also, I better not tell ANYONE I made this change.
GF Dev #2: Core Enforcer is a 100 BP physical move that disables abilities? That's way too OP! Better make it special to balance it. Also, I better not check the changelog before I do this, nor discuss this change with ANYONE.
GF Dev #3: Core Enforcer is a 100 BP physical move that disables abilities? That's way too OP! Better make it a non-damaging move... and we're shipping. Crap. We'll have to balance it with a patch after launch *laughs himself into a coma*
The same thing probably happened when Dark Void was nerfed.

It's not until the reveals of the new moves in Let's Go that I realized this, but I really dislike the alliterative/rhyming naming scheme that we've been seeing lately. It's most obvious in Z-moves, but it also appears in things like Surge Surfer, Slush Rush, Beak Blast, and Smart Strike.

The problem is that the names feel forced - they were clearly meant to sound cool, but the localization team tried a little too hard and ended up with moves and abilities that don't sound... natural, somehow.

To be fair about Surge Surfer, Alolan Raichu is surfing on its tail, and you're probably not going to use Electric Terrain except without Tapu Koko, so Alolachu is most likely surfing on the Electric Surge, so I honestly don't know what else you'd call it.

Otherwise, I do agree with you. And these alliterative names are actually affecting the quality of the translations. For example, Malicious Moonsault is not a moonsault, which is a very real wrestling technique; it's actually more like a 450 degree splash. Granted, the original Japanese name (which is like Hyper Dark Crusher or something) doesn't even reference a particular wrestling technique, so this just seems to be fitting in with all the other move names that are technical mistranslations due to how they can mean something completely different than the original Japanese name or be unrelated to it at all (freaking Double Slap...).

Since I like coming up with names for things, some alternative names for alliterative Z-moves:

Breakneck Blitz -> Overdrive Slam

Bloom Doom -> Nature Crush

Continental Crush -> Fossilize

Corkscrew Crash -> Iron Cleave

Devastating Drake -> Draconic Majesty

Extreme Evoboost -> Full Spectrum

Malicious Moonsault -> Top Rope Knockout

Oceanic Operetta -> Ocean's Song

Pulverizing Pancake... y'know what, I like this one as it is because the whole concept of it is hilarious, not just the name.

Savage Spin-out -> Insect's Revenge

Subzero Slammer -> Absolute Zero (yes I know this is Sheer Cold's Japanese name, shut up)

Supersonic Skystrike -> Terror from the Sky

Twinkle Tackle... is also fine as it is because the entire nature of the move is to be deceptively cute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)