(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
“10 year old” is not actually an age, it’s the common term for the first stage form of humans, also known as Jr Trainers. All beginning normal trainers* start as 10 Year Olds, then evolve based on their team into specialized forms such as Hikers, Ace Trainers, or Bird Keepers**, and later into Veterans, Mediums, Ruin Maniacs, or similar.

*You can see a parallel to this in the closely related species such as Tubers, Bug Catchers, or Ninja Boys
**Evolution into Gym Leaders and later into Professors or Elite Four Members is a rare and still not understood phenomenon
Funny thing is in-game a few trainers do pretty much say some of the older trainer classes are "evolved" from a younger trainer class, like I think a Bug Maniac says they were all Bug Catchers. There's also Rising Stars who are training to become Ace Trainers who later become Veterans (and then even later Experts). An odd one is the Fairy Tale Girl has two paths they take: Furisode Girl or Hex Maniac. Other basic examples:

Poke Kid > Poke Maniac > Poke Fan
Channeler > Medium
Lady > Madame/Socialite
Rich Boy > Gentleman

Also a few Gym Leaders are actually just a special member of a Trainer Class (their Gym usually having said Trainer Class in them though not always): Misty is a Swimmer, Erika an Aroma Lady, Sabrina a Psychic, Blaine a Scientist, Falkner a Bird Catcher, Bugsy a Bug Catcher, Clair a Dragon Tamer, Norman a Jogger, Tate & Liza are Twins, Roark a Worker, Maylene a Battle Girl, Striaton Triplets are Waiters, Burgh a Painter/Artist, Ramos a Gardener, Valerie a Furisode Girl, etc.. Infact you can probably base a Trainer Class off most Gym Leader and Elite Four member.

Last edited:

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Funny thing is in-game a few trainers do pretty much say some of the older trainer classes are "evolved" from a younger trainer class, like I think a Bug Maniac says they were all Bug Catchers. There's also Rising Stars who are training to become Ace Trainers who later become Veterans (and then even later Experts). An odd one is the Fairy Tale Girl has two paths they take: Furisode Girl or Hex Maniac. Other basic examples:

Poke Kid > Poke Maniac > Poke Fan
Channeler > Medium
Lady > Madame/Socialite
Rich Boy > Gentleman

Also a few Gym Leaders are actually just a special member of a Trainer Class (their Gym usually having said Trainer Class in them though not always): Misty is a Swimmer, Erika an Aroma Lady, Sabrina a Psychic, Blaine a Scientist, Falkner a Bird Catcher, Bugsy a Bug Catcher, Clair a Dragon Tamer, Norman a Jogger, Tate & Liza are Twins, Roark a Worker, Maylene a Battle Girl, Striaton Triplets are Waiters, Burgh a Painter/Artist, Ramos a Gardener, Valerie a Furisode Girl, etc.. Infact you can probably base a Trainer Class off most Gym Leader and Elite Four member.
...I kinda want to steal the idea to make an article now, there are a lot of possibilities to open up with that reasoning!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not being able to decide in which Poké Ball a breed Pokémon goes in. Same for Shedinja.
Technically for most mons you are actually able to though
I think they means after the Pokemon hatches (or Shedinja evolves) they wished the game would go "Would you like to place this Pokemon into a specific Poke Ball?" (if you answer "No" it'll just go into a plain ol' Poke Ball (or in Shedinja's case, if there's no spare normal Poke Ball, you just won't get it and have to evolve another Nincada)). The game instead just copies the Poke Ball the father is in, which kind of doesn't make sense if you think about it (at least with a Pokemon Egg you could assume that, like in the anime, the Daycare or person who gave you the Egg also gave you a plain Poke Ball for the Pokemon who hatches from the Egg). Also Master Balls can't be passed down meaning to get a good IV Pokemon in a Master Ball you have to catch it (same goes for Cherish Balls but that's understandable, they're Poke Balls meant for Event Pokemon and you can't normally get them).

Except for Red and Blue version, Butterfree will learn Confusion as soon as it evolves at Lv10. However, for some reason, Game Freak decides to make it learn the move at Lv11 in Alola and then in Let's Go, your Caterpie-evolved Butterfree CAN'T LEARN CONFUSION AT ALL. The only way you can get it to have the move is through Move Relearner where, let's be honest, you'd rather pick Psychic. This is a big issue because many players use Butterfree Confusion spam to get past Brock and this game which is a remake of the originals doesn't allow that.

Let's Go, your Caterpie-evolved Butterfree CAN'T LEARN CONFUSION AT ALL. The only way you can get it to have the move is through Move Relearner where, let's be honest, you'd rather pick Psychic.
I actually highlighted this on Discord during my playthrough, I was very confused by Butterfree not getting Confusion at all. Technically a already evolved Butterfree will have it too, though it's both rare and hard to catch.
On side note, knowing Onix has a rock attack in Let's Go, I am not sure confusion spam would be enough to kill it before 4x supereffective stab kills Butterfree either ways.

Besides, the game does force you to get a Grass type in order to even enter the gym, and realistically you'll just be demolishing Onix with that anyway.

It is DEFINITELY a annoying oversight, don't get me wrong, but not detrimental for the game as the game wants you to use that Bellsprout or Oddish to beat Brock, not Butterfree.

I know and I really hate the hand holding here. It's also why I hate the monkeys from Unova.
I get it, but keep reminding yourself that no matter how many times they tried to say otherwise, the intended audience for this game is literal kids who never played Pokemon before :P a complete pokemon novice would not even know of the fact Butterfree can learn Psychic type attacks to begin with

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I get it, but keep reminding yourself that no matter how many times they tried to say otherwise, the intended audience for this game is literal kids who never played Pokemon before :P
I really dislike how they're sending such a mixed message with those games. Sure, let's leave out abilities and held items because those weren't in Gen I ...oh, but Natures, Alola forms and Mega Evolutions are included, for no adequately explained reason. Or the way they make the game so easy to cater to beginners, yet decide to incorporate IVs (which also weren't a thing in Gen I), a hidden mechanic with no gameplay importance, which only hardcore fans ever cared about - and then fail to include any situations where IVs would ever make a difference. The way it was incorporated, the IV mechanic only exists so there is a "perfectness" to grind for, a reason for players to put up with the "gotta catch a lot of the same Pokémon" gameplay.

It's like they were afraid to commit to a casual-only game, so they decided to needlessly tack on some later-gen additions to appeal to older fans ... but then were also deathly afraid to commit too much in that direction either, resulting in a game with features that are too complicated for beginners, but which doesn't give those features any purpose for veteran players either. Never mind the regression back to a region no new players have any connection with, outdated design and all, when the console clearly is capable of so much more.

I think I would have enjoyed PLG a lot more if it had cut all pretense of advanced features, and was set in a new region using a mix of Pokémon from different generations. Then it wouldn't have had the baggage of Kanto (both people being tired of it, and people expecting more from it), and the exclusion of said features could be a "we do things differently in this region" kind of thing.

I think I would have enjoyed PLG a lot more if it had cut all pretense of advanced features, and was set in a new region using a mix of Pokémon from different generations. Then it wouldn't have had the baggage of Kanto, and the exclusion of said features could be a "we do things differently in this region" kind of thing.
I still want my fully-featured return to Kanto, darn it!

I really dislike how they're sending such a mixed message with those games. Sure, let's leave out abilities and held items because those weren't in Gen I ...oh, but Natures, Alola forms and Mega Evolutions are included, for no adequately explained reason. Or the way they make the game so easy to cater to beginners, yet decide to incorporate IVs (which also weren't a thing in Gen I), a hidden mechanic with no gameplay importance, which only hardcore fans ever cared about - and then fail to include any situations where IVs would ever make a difference. The way it was incorporated, the IV mechanic only exists so there is a "perfectness" to grind for, a reason for players to put up with the "gotta catch a lot of the same Pokémon" gameplay.

It's like they were afraid to commit to a casual-only game, so they decided to needlessly tack on some later-gen additions to appeal to older fans ... but then were also deathly afraid to commit too much in that direction either, resulting in a game with features that are too complicated for beginners, but which doesn't give those features any purpose for veteran players either. Never mind the regression back to a region no new players have any connection with, outdated design and all, when the console clearly is capable of so much more.

I think I would have enjoyed PLG a lot more if it had cut all pretense of advanced features, and was set in a new region using a mix of Pokémon from different generations. Then it wouldn't have had the baggage of Kanto, and the exclusion of said features could be a "we do things differently in this region" kind of thing.
But then fans would still moan and complain about the exclusion of those features. You know they would.

you can't accuse let's go of handholding when you can literally beat blaine with only 3 gym badges
yes they *suggest* that you do something on occasion but there's nothing to say you have to do said thing
playing through it casually I only had trouble with gym requirements once- sabrina's gym, because I went to her gym before any of the others in that segment.

I'm also confused as to why they stripped certain complexities but left in others. I fully support the removal of abilities, held items, weather, and terrain, because as much as it adds to competitive battles, I think it takes away from casual gameplay. My best guess is they were trying to strike the right balance between main series mechanics and pokemon go mechanics. As far as mega evolution, that's a beeg selling point with the kiddos. You can't not have mega evolution.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think I would have enjoyed PLG a lot more if it had cut all pretense of advanced features, and was set in a new region using a mix of Pokémon from different generations. Then it wouldn't have had the baggage of Kanto (both people being tired of it, and people expecting more from it), and the exclusion of said features could be a "we do things differently in this region" kind of thing.
I still want my fully-featured return to Kanto, darn it!
How about we combine both? We go back to Kanto... but it's Kanto of the past! There's that fan project/idea of having a Kanto based game where you play a young Professor Oak & Agatha when they first went on their Pokemon journey, why not do that idea? If you don't want Oak or Agatha being playable characters so you can do character development with them then have them be our Rivals.

This would give an excuse not to have all the new features such as Abilities, Natures, and IVs (since Pokemon wouldn't have been as heavily studied as they are now) and even support the GO mechanics in the game. Imagine this, in these games Silph Co. is a brand new company who made these devices called Poke Balls that make taming Pokemon easy. To promote these devices, they create a "Pokemon League", asking many of the Towns/Cities to have their toughest tamers to open up "Gyms" and act as "Leaders" who'll except challenges from other Tamers and if they win give them a "Badge" as proof. Anyone who collects all the Badges will be given the title of "Elite". Where Oak, Agatha, and the player comes in is they also seek out young talent to become the first "Trainers", Tamers who catch and train a lot of Pokemon. Given the privilege of getting many Poke Balls from the start and a discount on Poke Balls in Marts, they're instructed to do the League Challenge as well as catch as many Pokemon as they can.

It's a set-up that would really let the mechanics in Let's Go have a place to shine. A more casual experience, explaining why getting Poke Balls is so easy, and why you're catching so many extra Pokemon. It would also give them a chance to re-image the Kanto region, not only having their nostalgia but experiment with new ideas and characters (and if you make most of these characters adults you don't have to worry about why they didn't appear in Gen I because they would have passed away by then). Infact I think people would then also be perfectly fine accepting this as part of the core series since it takes so far in the past it doesn't mess with continuity but rather adds backstory to the Pokemon world and some of its older characters and locations.

How about we combine both? We go back to Kanto... but it's Kanto of the past! There's that fan project/idea of having a Kanto based game where you play a young Professor Oak & Agatha when they first went on their Pokemon journey, why not do that idea? If you don't want Oak or Agatha being playable characters so you can do character development with them then have them be our Rivals.

This would give an excuse not to have all the new features such as Abilities, Natures, and IVs (since Pokemon wouldn't have been as heavily studied as they are now) and even support the GO mechanics in the game. Imagine this, in these games Silph Co. is a brand new company who made these devices called Poke Balls that make taming Pokemon easy. To promote these devices, they create a "Pokemon League", asking many of the Towns/Cities to have their toughest tamers to open up "Gyms" and act as "Leaders" who'll except challenges from other Tamers and if they win give them a "Badge" as proof. Anyone who collects all the Badges will be given the title of "Elite". Where Oak, Agatha, and the player comes in is they also seek out young talent to become the first "Trainers", Tamers who catch and train a lot of Pokemon. Given the privilege of getting many Poke Balls from the start and a discount on Poke Balls in Marts, they're instructed to do the League Challenge as well as catch as many Pokemon as they can.

It's a set-up that would really let the mechanics in Let's Go have a place to shine. A more casual experience, explaining why getting Poke Balls is so easy, and why you're catching so many extra Pokemon. It would also give them a chance to re-image the Kanto region, not only having their nostalgia but experiment with new ideas and characters (and if you make most of these characters adults you don't have to worry about why they didn't appear in Gen I because they would have passed away by then). Infact I think people would then also be perfectly fine accepting this as part of the core series since it takes so far in the past it doesn't mess with continuity but rather adds backstory to the Pokemon world and some of its older characters and locations.
The only problem with this is that culturally gen I is set in the late 1960´s/early 1970's (which is why Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan original names reference martial artists that where popular during those years and not martial artist that where popular during the 1990's)

Which would put Oak's and Agatha's youth.... right around the time Japan "annexed" Korea..... not..... not a time period in japanese history you wanna depict or omit, so......... yeah..... :x

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The only problem with this is that culturally gen I is set in the late 1960´s/early 1970's (which is why Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan original names reference martial artists that where popular during those years and not martial artist that where popular during the 1990's)

Which would put Oak's and Agatha's youth.... right around the time Japan "annexed" Korea..... not..... not a time period in japanese history you wanna depict or omit, so......... yeah..... :x
Or, you know, since the Pokemon World is completely different from our world, make up their own history...

What the heck?
So yeah this annoys me.
On my X Trevor was like have you caught a Mewtwo yet?
Yep. I thought you might have guess what I caught one too.
What the heck game freak, you can't do that to us when there is only one of each legendary in a game of the legendaries that are in the game.

Or, you know, since the Pokemon World is completely different from our world, make up their own history...
"Electric Pokemon saved me during the war!"

Like I get what your saying 315111 but Kanto is still named after Kanto and it's like
imagine you make a fantasy story in a franchise that has always put its inspirations for its fictional places on its sleeve, about a place called Shmermany set in the 1940's and it doesn't mention the Jewish people or a stand in for them and everything it's honky dory in this 1940's Shmermany, the actual real life Jewish people might want to have some words with you, you know?

like Kanto around those times fictional depiction or not..... Korean people are gonna have "opinions" no matter what you do
like even if you depict their youth 30 years later (World War II wheeee) it's not a period of time you wanna depict Japan, even if it's fictional Japan specially if you wanna sell your children-intended video game internationally

Last edited:
"Electric Pokemon saved me during the war!"

Like I get what your saying 315111 but Kanto is still named after Kanto and it's like
imagine you make a fantasy story in a franchise that has always put its inspirations for its fictional places on its sleeve, about a place called Shmermany set in the 1940's and it doesn't mention the Jewish people or a stand in for them and everything it's honky dory in this 1940's Shmermany, the actual real life Jewish people might want to have some words with you, you know?

like Kanto around those times fictional depiction or not..... Korean people are gonna have "opinions" no matter what you do
like even if you depict their youth 30 years later (World War II wheeee) it's not a period of time you wanna depict Japan, even if it's fictional Japan specially if you wanna sell your children-intended video game internationally
I agree with this. That's just a place you don't want to go if you're making a Pokemon game. Let sleeping Houndooms lie, so to speak. (God, that was the nerdiest thing I've ever said)

So I've been going to through the staff of GameFreak, and I'm dissapointed that there aren't more references to Spin-Off games. Not only did Creatures Inc make the Ranger Series and Detective Pikachu, but they also handeled the Modeling for XY of all the Pokemon Characters. GF owes them a lot. The least they could do is put some references in the Main Series, since Ranger and Detective Pikachu take place in the same world as the core RPGs they could at least make some reference. But the only references I've seen are the Wondercards for Pokemon obtained in Ranger. But instead, we get a bunch of anime references, which isn't even canon to the games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)