(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Water/Ice wouldn't have been neutral, though. It'd still be weak to Torterra (ice doesnt resist grass) and Infernape has no net change (fire still neutral instead of resisted, fighting still super effective)
I think by neutral they mean that each final evolution gets a type that is super effective against the starter they're normally weak to. Infernape is weak to Ground, Empoleon is weak to Fighting, and Torterra... has no damage modifiers for Steel attacks. While Empoleon's Steel typing does remove its weakness to Grass, Torterra doesn't care. It's got STAB Earthquake now.

One thing that annoys me so much is the Fly HM. I get it, HMs were an older thing and we’re past that now (for better and for worse) but the more I play the older Pokémon games, the more I realize that having skip travel resigned to a HM is dumb. While the other HMs are great for their due purpose, exploration, Fly is not an exploration thing.

I confess that I’m being rather nitpicky especially when Fly is not a bad move at all, and when I do have it it does see a decent amount of usage; it still annoys me greatly because of how it limits my Pokémon (move) selection. There’s worse things to be annoyed with but this is just little thing that makes me agitated.

So I was told to come here to add my rant list so here goes :D

Gen 5 negatives

No genies in bw2 and dream radar is annoying to get and playthrough.

To many things require access to the other 3 game versions, like prankster genies, keys, entree and funfests and medal requierments.

Serious lack of wifi options in comparison to gen 4, most things like unova link, entralink and subway are wireless or infrared only making it extremely awkward to complete these features.

Multi subway is terribly designed, for one you cant link up with a friend via wifi to get the trophy and to make matters worse you only have 1 choice of AI to team up with who has a very mediocre selection of pokemon and you dont even get to see what they will be using beforehand so you cannot bring a team to synergize with them, making the challenge completely inconsistent and luck reliant, considering in gen 4 you had 5 AI choice partners with good legendaries and drastically better pokemon and could wait for them to have a team that synergizes with yours and even then it was hard, this gen took a huge step backwards in this area.

All kind of commemorative achievement things were removed like symbols for subway bosses ( gen 4 had trophies to for battle tower so we are not counting those ) stylish ribbons, and stars on trainer card, without looking up the colour upgrades there is no way to tell a trainer level by merely looking at the card.

Alot of medal requierments are ridiculous and add no challenge or fun to the game such as passing 1000 people or doing a funfest with 30 people, the medals idea was great to make you try everything the game has to offer but the final version of the product is not to great.

Musicals are contests with no actual substance or challenge and are utterly boring

Movies are better than musicals but still not that captivating they are way inferior to pokeathlon and gen 3 and 4 contests.

Hgss cons

No story in kanto which feels bit dry and empty they could have expanded the rocket giovanni and silver storyline into kanto.

Customisable safari was a fun idea but the final version of it is horrible, having to wait nearly a year for some pokemon is just insane what where they smoking at the time lol.

Repeat battle frontier from platinum feels a bit cheap, could have at least brought back emerald frontier instead which was awhile ago and would have felt fresher in a gen 4 game.

Gym leader numbers are way to awkward to get without online research which you should not need to resort to, way it worked in emerald and platinum was fine.

Platinum cons.

Id say the game basically has none except for a few not massively important things like some gen 1 and 2 pokemon sprites instead of changing them they just made them get stuck like mid animation the result looks bizzare lile a cut off gengar and a raichu and geodude that look like they need a shit lol.

And since alot of pokemon moved into the sinnoh dex many routes were left without a radar exclusive pokemon or a swarm pokemon so they could have taken some pokemon that are gba cart exclusives and made them into radar exclusive or swarms reducing the need for so many gba carts to get or chain every pokemon, and on this topic in south route 204 ralts is no longer a radar exclusive so they could have made sunkers be the one for the whole route rather than just the north part where its impossible to chain it because there is not enough grass.

Emerald cons

No second improved league like FRLG makes it a bore and very hard to level grind and on top of that you can only battle Steven once in the whole game rather than once in awhile at lead like the gym leaders, and there is no postagame area with decent level trainers to level grind so its a mercy you can clone in emerald otherwise leveling stuff for the frontier would be a nightmare.

Not being able to battle the rival later in the game sucks, they could have changed this since RS.

Lack of decent prizes for BP to many expensive plushies and no tms or anything important that you need repeats of, again thank god you can clone lol.

Emerald has so many cool islands from mirage to all the event islands and the fact to most of us never got to see them really sucks,

They could have least done rare random days when a tv anouncement says mirage island has been spotted that day regardless of the ID thing, also I think that after obtaining all the gold symbols and the gold shield, Scott should give the player a master ticket or something granting you access to all the event islands, what better way to reward such an ordeal and allow you to go places normal trainers are not, the events would still have been the only way for the majority and for the few dedicated it would have been nice to have an alternative.
Agree with a number of these. Though I don't think the way the Gym Leader rematch system was implemented in Emerald was very efficient at all. It takes a lot to get Match Calls from gym leaders and you need to battle them multiple times before they reach their final state. I think Platinum's implementation made the most sense and the venue was cool too in the Battleground café.

Definitely agree there should have been an improved Elite Four in Emerald. They already had it in FRLG which came out earlier so there was no excuse not to have it in Emerald. And the stretch from beating the Elite Four to preparing for Steven was very poorly handled. I would have really preferred they kept Steven as the Champion, Wallace as the eighth Gym Leader and gotten rid of Juan. The pacing would've been perfect.

Very much agree about Platinum's sprites as well. The ones you mentioned (especially Gengar) took a clear step back for me as compared to their DP counterparts. Though nailing the Infernape sprite completely makes up for it in my book lol.

Platinum is my favorite Pokémon game but one other nitpick is Honchkrow not being available. It was a great Sinnoh Flying alternative to Staraptor, who is on a lot of teams obviously. I know Togekiss is an option but I prefer to not use Pokémon used by the Champion. Most of my criticisms about Platinum are really minor though.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
One thing that annoys me so much is the Fly HM. I get it, HMs were an older thing and we’re past that now (for better and for worse) but the more I play the older Pokémon games, the more I realize that having skip travel resigned to a HM is dumb. While the other HMs are great for their due purpose, exploration, Fly is not an exploration thing.

I confess that I’m being rather nitpicky especially when Fly is not a bad move at all, and when I do have it it does see a decent amount of usage; it still annoys me greatly because of how it limits my Pokémon (move) selection. There’s worse things to be annoyed with but this is just little thing that makes me agitated.
I guess this is why I'm inherently psychologically inclined to always catch the early route bird no matter what I play (even from SM onwards when I didn't need the HM anymore I still caught Toucannon and Corviknight in their respective games lmao). I've always been using stuff like Pidgeot, Staraptor, and Talonflame in older games as team member, but I can understand why it feels limiting when a fast travel technique being an HM basically rairoads you into using a Flying-type for the adventure. Granted, I love Pidgeot, Talonflame, and Staraptor in particular and I find the regional bird to always be a reliable and dependable battler, so it never bothered me much, but yeah, I can understand why it feels annoying.

It's moreso annoying if you don't use a Flying-type at all or don't want to use it, which means you need a "Fly Slave" to pull out of the PC if you wanna fast travel, which is kind of tedious.

Water/Ice wouldn't have been neutral, though. It'd still be weak to Torterra (ice doesnt resist grass) and Infernape has no net change (fire still neutral instead of resisted, fighting still super effective)
I think by neutral they mean that each final evolution gets a type that is super effective against the starter they're normally weak to. Infernape is weak to Ground, Empoleon is weak to Fighting, and Torterra... has no damage modifiers for Steel attacks. While Empoleon's Steel typing does remove its weakness to Grass, Torterra doesn't care. It's got STAB Earthquake now.
I think the better term is "double-edged sword", which I think is a bit of the idea the Sinnoh starters sort of have against each other. The Gen 4 starters generally are simultaneously advantaged and disadvantaged against each other. Infernape can still roast Torterra with its Fire STAB, but now Torterra can do the same in return with Ground STAB. Empoleon can hit Infernape super effectively with Water STAB, but Infernape has Fighting STAB to hit Empoleon super effectively. Torterra and Empoleon is a bit of a lesser scale, but still there since Torterra loses its Water resistance, but it also has a compounded weakness to Ice and Empoleon can still learn Ice Beam so the double-edge sword is still there to an extent.

But were Empoleon part Ice-type the "double edged sword" matchup would be even more apparent since it could use Ice STAB to freeze Torterra hard while Torterra can still do the same in return just with its Grass STAB, while the double edged matchup against Infernape would still be there since Infernape would still be able to hit it super effectively with Fighting STAB while Empoleon can still do the same with Water STAB.

Granted, the downside is that Water / Ice is a fairly common combo, but for a starter it would've been pretty cool, even if Water / Steel is a rad and unique typing in and of itself and Empoleon is still an absolutely GOATed design.

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.

At least Fly is a decently strong move. Many of the staple Fly users (Pidgey line, Starly line, Taillow line, etc.) have it as one of their better physical attacks. The Return/Fly bird isn't very interesting at this point, but at least you get a decent move if you're okay with it being two-turn. Some HMs are embarrassingly awful moves that the game forces on you as a middle finger, like Whirlpool in HG/SS.
I think Platinum's implementation made the most sense and the venue was cool too in the Battleground café.
While it is nice that Platinum doesn't give you ten more hoops to jump through after you've already unlocked the ability to rematch people, I'm not a big fan of your daily rematches being selected at random, because it makes doing every fight annoying. I fought Crasher Wake in the Battleground so many times while trying to get every fight there that I still get a little ill whenever I see him in a newer game.

Agree with a number of these. Though I don't think the way the Gym Leader rematch system was implemented in Emerald was very efficient at all. It takes a lot to get Match Calls from gym leaders and you need to battle them multiple times before they reach their final state. I think Platinum's implementation made the most sense and the venue was cool too in the Battleground café.

Definitely agree there should have been an improved Elite Four in Emerald. They already had it in FRLG which came out earlier so there was no excuse not to have it in Emerald. And the stretch from beating the Elite Four to preparing for Steven was very poorly handled. I would have really preferred they kept Steven as the Champion, Wallace as the eighth Gym Leader and gotten rid of Juan. The pacing would've been perfect.

Very much agree about Platinum's sprites as well. The ones you mentioned (especially Gengar) took a clear step back for me as compared to their DP counterparts. Though nailing the Infernape sprite completely makes up for it in my book lol.

Platinum is my favorite Pokémon game but one other nitpick is Honchkrow not being available. It was a great Sinnoh Flying alternative to Staraptor, who is on a lot of teams obviously. I know Togekiss is an option but I prefer to not use Pokémon used by the Champion. Most of my criticisms about Platinum are really minor though.
Nice my fav is also Platinum :D

I agree with the gym leaders on emerald but it was the first time they ever implemented it so I forgive it, just like Roxanne has the lowest levels and Juan max followed in order but in postgame thats silly they should all just be the same there is no need for the level curve, the Champion change was interesting and im fine with it but should be able to Rematch Steven thats my only qualm

And I agree infernape not looking like he is doing a squat/shit was a huge bonus in fact the majority of the sinnoh sprites were drastically improved in platinum to name a few gliscor lickylicky magmortar weavile etc, only notable one that was made worse is lucario who looks way better in DP

At least Fly is a decently strong move. Many of the staple Fly users (Pidgey line, Starly line, Taillow line, etc.) have it as one of their better physical attacks. The Return/Fly bird isn't very interesting at this point, but at least you get a decent move if you're okay with it being two-turn. Some HMs are embarrassingly awful moves that the game forces on you as a middle finger, like Whirlpool in HG/SS.

While it is nice that Platinum doesn't give you ten more hoops to jump through after you've already unlocked the ability to rematch people, I'm not a big fan of your daily rematches being selected at random, because it makes doing every fight annoying. I fought Crasher Wake in the Battleground so many times while trying to get every fight there that I still get a little ill whenever I see him in a newer game.
All you have to do is save before you go in and SR lol

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
You know what bothers me a plenty? The fact that we got too many “skip your turn” statuses.

Don’t get the wrong idea, though. A “skip your turn” status is annoying, but helpful and even important if balanced carefully. But the more there are, the more redundant and RNG-pushing it feels, no matter how different they are in flavor. It does not help that most can stack except between non-volatile status. We got:
  • Sleep: Skip turn unless the user wakes up from their 2nd to onward turn of sleeping. Rest is different in that it is always two turn of Sleep, but nonetheless momentum draining.
  • Freeze: Only 20% chance of thawing, which is way too small, and it’s even worse back in Gen 1 and 2, which was only a mere 10% on Gen 2 and absolutely none in Gen 1 (only way out is getting hit by a Fire attack). By far the worst of the bunch. While thawed by Fire-type moves, it is too small to be a counterbalance.
  • Paralysis: Only 25% of full paralysis which means turn-skip. Not too bad by itself, but then consider that it can stacks with the one below.
  • Flinch: While Fake Out is acceptable and even actually well liked as it only works on the user’s first turn, stuff like Iron Head and Air Slash is pushing it, especially if combined with Serene Grace.
  • Confusion: 33% of turn-skip and small self-damage. Before Gen 7, it was 50%.
  • Infatuation (Attract): A whopping 50% turn skip, but is counteract with the fact that it fails against same gender or genderlesss target.
  • Gen 1 Bind: Really unfair, and prevents you from attacking at all if you get hit by one. No wonder it got changed so that you can make a move even if trapped by Bind.
Turn-based games do benefit from RNG, allowing for a more chaotic and unoredictable experience. But when there are more than one or two statuses that involves stopping a player’s or creature’s action completely, it can become an RNG-fest when bad luck get involved.

There is also a reason why evasion-rising and accuracy-reducing are hated, as these can stack quickly and turn into another ugly RNG-fest.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Gen 5 negatives

No genies in bw2 and dream radar is annoying to get and playthrough.

All kind of commemorative achievement things were removed like symbols for subway bosses ( gen 4 had trophies to for battle tower so we are not counting those ) stylish ribbons, and stars on trainer card, without looking up the colour upgrades there is no way to tell a trainer level by merely looking at the card.

Alot of medal requierments are ridiculous and add no challenge or fun to the game such as passing 1000 people or doing a funfest with 30 people, the medals idea was great to make you try everything the game has to offer but the final version of the product is not to great.

Musicals are contests with no actual substance or challenge and are utterly boring

Movies are better than musicals but still not that captivating they are way inferior to pokeathlon and gen 3 and 4 contests.
* Forces of Nature: Yeah, the Dream Radar was such an odd peripheral, especially making it the only way to get the Forces of Nature in B2W2. Would have at least liked it if they included the opposite version member in the sequel so if you only got one version and its sequel you'd have both Thundurus and Tornadus to get Landorus in the original.

* Lose Symbols, Got Medals: Sad we didn't get a Battle Frontier (though would have been a neat alternative if each of the Subways awarded something similar, like maybe a stylized Subway Token; guess also be neat if White Treehollow and Black Tower maybe also have out something). However, even if not all the Medals were interesting (and some are not even obtainable, blech), I do like the Medals and found them fun to collect, even when you get ones you didn't realize you qualified for since you just went out exploring. Also, though its not quite the same as a collectible, I found filling out the Habitat Lists to be a fun collection thing; at least a more fun way to fill out the Dex (and likely laid the way for ORAS's DexNav).

* Musical Theater: Excuse me sir, sure Pokemon Contests and Pokeathlon had deeper mechanics, better rewards, and a proof of your completion of it... but can you put a top hat on a Snivy or Wailord? I THINK NOT! Musicals 1, All other side activities 0.

Okay, joking aside, yeah, Musicals did feel pretty flat. Not to mention Musicals were also yet another feature which had parts of it cut off because there were special musicals only available via through the Global Link.

PokeStar Studios I was more interested in the concept than the execution. Kind of wish instead of just a scripted battle they had sort of an in-game adventure where you played out the major scene of the movie with the scripted battle(s) part of it; but maybe that was too much of a hassle to figure out how to score. I've always kind of wanted to write out a full script, or at least a fanfic, of the PokeStar Studio movies. I also like all the easter eggs like what the movies were based on, how the titles (at least in the original/on the posters) are in difference languages, and when you get your own room there's a book with a whole list of well known stories but Pokemon versions of them (which, being a lot of them were puns or based on stories known by an American audience, I wondered if other languages had their own listings...).

Hgss cons

No story in kanto which feels bit dry and empty they could have expanded the rocket giovanni and silver storyline into kanto.

Customisable safari was a fun idea but the final version of it is horrible, having to wait nearly a year for some pokemon is just insane what where they smoking at the time lol.

Repeat battle frontier from platinum feels a bit cheap, could have at least brought back emerald frontier instead which was awhile ago and would have felt fresher in a gen 4 game.

Gym leader numbers are way to awkward to get without online research which you should not need to resort to, way it worked in emerald and platinum was fine.
Kanto Story: Kanto didn't have an overarching story, rather it was more focused on little personal stories. Kanto was pretty much just a bonus, giving those who played Gen I the opportunity to see how things have changed 3 years later. I guess they could have had made a story revolving around Silver trying to improve himself instead of just making it one bonus tag battle of you & him vs Lance & Clair. However I don't think Gen II Kanto really needed it especially after cleaning up the remnants of Team Rocket.

Customizable Safari: Yeah, the waiting a number of days before a Pokemon appeared thing was a decision I didn't understand. Aside from getting the Pokemon there's no other reward, it would be quicker to just transfer a Pokemon you need up from Gen III or trade it from DPPt.

Gen IV Battle Frontier: A bit disappointing but I understood why they did it. Battle Frontiers take a LOT of time to make and would feel just a waste for Gen IV's to just be in Platinum when it wasn't going to be the last game in that gen, and excluding it from HGSS would feel like they're offering less content in HGSS in that regard so they just transferred it over as a bonus more than anything. MAYBE they could have made some things different like gave the Brians new designs, changed the Plates back into Symbols, little things so that it's the Gen IV Battle Frontier but it's own style of it.

Gym Leader Number: What? Was it not obvious to get Lt. Surge's number you had to first clear the Kanto Power Plant for him to then visit it on Friday morning while having Pikachu walking with you? I mean, come on, they couldn't be anymore obvious.

Yeah, some requirements were weird though others were funny or got funny dialogue. I would agree Platinum was probably the better of the three even if you couldn't battle all the Gym Leaders everyday.

Platinum cons.

Id say the game basically has none except for a few not massively important things.
Well if I was allowed to add one: The Villa was a neat idea but kind if disappointing as aside from decorating it there was really nothing else to do with it, especially after reading all/most of the visitor dialogue. Like, if it's my Villa, can't I do things like maybe hold certain parties and have special battles, get unique trades & items, etc..

Emerald cons

No second improved league like FRLG makes it a bore and very hard to level grind and on top of that you can only battle Steven once in the whole game rather than once in awhile at least like the gym leaders, and there is no postgame area with decent level trainers to level grind so its a mercy you can clone in emerald otherwise leveling stuff for the frontier would be a nightmare.

Not being able to battle the rival later in the game sucks, they could have changed this since RS.

Emerald has so many cool islands from mirage to all the event islands and the fact to most of us never got to see them really sucks,
Sad that RSE didn't do that, but thankfully ORAS mostly remedied all these... and then didn't include the Gen III Battle Frontier and Gym Leader rematches...

Well, at least it's no more a worry Gen VII onwards. :blobthumbsup:

Gym Leader Number: What? Was it not obvious to get Lt. Surge's number you had to first clear the Kanto Power Plant for him to then visit it on Friday morning while having Pikachu walking with you? I mean, come on, they couldn't be anymore obvious.
The worst was Blue. Who thought it was a good idea to have to get your Pokémon groomed seven times by Blue's sister before she gives you his number? Jesus.

Well if I was allowed to add one: The Villa was a neat idea but kind if disappointing as aside from decorating it there was really nothing else to do with it, especially after reading all/most of the visitor dialogue. Like, if it's my Villa, can't I do things like maybe hold certain parties and have special battles, get unique trades & items, etc..
This would have been a great idea. As much as I like the Battleground café as a venue for Gym Leader rematches, to instead have them in the back or front yard of your Villa with other Gym Leaders watching, would have been very cool. It would be like you hosting a party at your Villa where only the strongest trainers are invited and you arrange battles to entertain your guests.

Last edited:
Musical Theater: Excuse me sir, sure Pokemon Contests and Pokeathlon had deeper mechanics, better rewards, and a proof of your completion of it... but can you put a top hat on a Snivy or Wailord? I THINK NOT! Musicals 1, All other side activities 0.

Okay, joking aside, yeah, Musicals did feel pretty flat. Not to mention Musicals were also yet another feature which had parts of it cut off because there were special musicals only available via through the Global Link.
ACKHCGHKHTUALLY, you can dress Wailord in a top hat in Sinnoh’s Super Contests, which have much more in the way of game mechanics than the Pokémon Musicals could ever hope to.

Game.

Set.

And Match.

Realtalk, I never even bothered with Musicals because it was literally just the dress-up part of Sinnoh’s Super Contests, which were why I never bothered with those either. At least in Pokeathelon and Pokestar you actually did things.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Troll Freak strikes again (lol at the multiple haircuts until you can meet Blue, I'm curious if this can happen in GSC too).
No because you don't get leader's phone numbers in GSC. However, I never knew that Daisy could groom your Pokemon in GSC; nothing hints at it, and the time window is an inconvenient and easy one to miss (most kids round my way were still at school, or at the very least coming home between 3PM and 4PM). There's so little reason to go into her house and the odds of you going in at the correct time are so slim that it's no wonder I never happened upon it. Even when I first heard about it, I thought it was a dumb rumour.

PokeStar Studios I was more interested in the concept than the execution. Kind of wish instead of just a scripted battle they had sort of an in-game adventure where you played out the major scene of the movie with the scripted battle(s) part of it; but maybe that was too much of a hassle to figure out how to score.
You know you read my mind on this one this is exactly what I thought would be a great idea, some settings in a castle or palace etc depending on the movie, having to battle villains in movies at certain points etc

Gen IV Battle Frontier: A bit disappointing but I understood why they did it. Battle Frontiers take a LOT of time to make and would feel just a waste for Gen IV's to just be in Platinum when it wasn't going to be the last game in that gen, and excluding it from HGSS would feel like they're offering less content in HGSS in that regard so they just transferred it over as a bonus more
I know but they could have actually redone emeralds frontier with minimum work since they could have still kept all the trainers and sets from platinum and copied emerald's data for the actual facilities challenges and the way they work, so all that would be left would be designing the frontier for ds gen 4 looks, and doing new sprites for the gen 3 brains

I know but they could have actually redone emeralds frontier with minimum work since they could have still kept all the trainers and sets from platinum and copied emerald's data for the actual facilities challenges and the way they work, so all that would be left would be designing the frontier for ds gen 4 looks, and doing new sprites for the gen 3 brains
So it would have been more of a doble copy paste from emerald and platinum rather than just plat

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
TIL Anorith and Armaldo's eyes aren't the red marks on their heads. I got finessed, well played GF.
Never mind that, reminds me of that time when I realized Cradily's eyes weren't those weird spirals and were actually below those spirals in what deceptively looked like its own mouth. Same with Lileep for that matter except I didn't realize it had eyes to begin with.

Coincidentally, that is also a Gen 3 fossil for the record.

Why on earth is Mega Punch so bad. I always forget how bad this thing is, and just assume "oh it's probabyl the slightly weaker but more accurate alternative to mega kick" but no

well i mean yes but no

mega kick is 120 BP and 75% accuracy, mega kick is 80 BP and...85% accuracy. That's terrible even just limiting the comparison between the pair but then you remember that wait even in a return-less world, these 2 moves exist
Strength: 80BP, 100% Accuracy
Body Slam: 85BP, 100% accuracy, and then also a 30% chance fo paralyze

In gen 1 it at least had a brief shelf life since you got the TM so much earlier than Strength & Body Slam (ss anne, i believe) but after that you really just left the move like this? Removing Strength from the greater pool of moves aint it, gamefreak. Very bad. Go back to the drawing board on this one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 8)