Little things you like about Pokémon

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
this is not the first time ive seen this mentioned but....where is her backstory stated? I dont remember her or Rose ever mentioning it and she has no league card. And her concept art lacks mention of it too it seems.
Did I miss some dialog somewhere?
No. It was submitted as a "fact" to a wiki and spread like wildfire before it was removed. This backstory is absolutely a fan theory and is not supported anywhere in the game.

Some people have said her postgame dialogue about how she used to work in a coal mine is "evidence" but uh
Text File : 840
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh... Champion. I never thought I’d run into you in the mines.[VAR 0114(0007)]
I’ve been doing some voluntary community service on Mr. Rose’s behalf.[VAR 0114(0007)]
Mr. Rose... A long time ago he used to work in a coal mine, you know. That’s why I’m actually happy with doing this kind of work. Yes! I’m so happy, I think I’ll give you one of my prized League Cards![VAR 0114(0007)]
You don’t need to worry... I have a hundred copies of Mr. Rose’s League Card. They’re all signed, too![VAR 0114(0007)]
Champion... Thank you for stopping Eternatus. I know Mr. Rose feels the same way... But he was just so worried about the future...[VAR 0114(0007)]
She didn't.

No. It was submitted as a "fact" to a wiki and spread like wildfire before it was removed. This backstory is absolutely a fan theory and is not supported anywhere in the game.

Some people have said her postgame dialogue about how she used to work in a coal mine is "evidence" but uh

She didn't.
... how does one confuse her saying Rose used to work in a coal mine as meaning she worked there as well?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

She didn't.
Bruh, are you fucking kidding me? That cool backstory was all a lie? God, what is it with the misinformation about the cast of SWSH? First the "Leon is Iris' cousin" fiasco, then the fib about John from Twilight Wings Episode 1 having cancer, now this...

I mean, I guess there are some vague hints that she didn't start out so high. I don't think this fabulous female assistant to the region's wealthiest businessman would willingly catch a Garbodor and make it her star combatant unless it had some kind of personal connection to her. But that line of thinking is probably just denial on my end... Fuck I'm pissed... Sorry for propagating this misinformation guys.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I also find it interesting that Bede running his hand through his hair is supposed to show that he's embarrassed or uncomfortable. I guess until Opal takes him under her wing to be her successor, he's just not very good with people who aren't Chairman Rose.

Pikachu315111 I don't believe the episode "whitewashed" Bea. I'm positive it has more to do with the fact it was extremely bright outside. There seem to be other points in the episode where her skin color is portrayed much closer to her concept art and in the game.
Actually Bede lifts up his jacket's collar when he's embarrassed/uncomfortable.

While I also originally thought that, the counterpoint to that is Rose is also in that episode and is in a scene with bright light yet his skin color remains the tanned we know it to be. And while we do see points where Bea's skin color is similar to her official art, it's when she's in shadow. Normal light she's whiter then official art, in-game model, and concept art. That said I'd like to think the animators didn't whitewash Bea on purpose, rather they just saw her as being Caucasian whose art was just in shadow and didn't bother to check their assumption. Though that goes into a completely other issue with certain animators consider Caucasian as default which let's not get into.

The concept art talk reminded me of what I think is by a massive margin EoS' best feature because like... imagine Special Episodes in the main games. Yes, I'm veering off into blatant wishlisting, but really think of how great that would be with the cast of SWSH and the bits of background info given about them via trainer cards alone. A lot of people loved Bea's Twilight Wings episode, now imagine that in playable form! How about Opal and Leon episodes set many years before SWSH proper where we see them in younger forms at the height of their acting career/training under Mustard to succeed him respectively? Oooh, perhaps a dark, dramatic Oleana episode where we play as her in her orphan days scavenging the slums with her Trubbish? I'm sorry, but my mind is teeming with possibilities here!
Would love if they had special episodes where you get to play as the important NPCs through a small story segment. Especially for the ones who don't get much screentime as they got to introduce and establish so many other characters (and some who have more importance to the current story) they get buried. OR for characters where something major happened to them and would like to know what happened to them post game (like the villain team). And it ain't got to be a complex story, just a day-in-their-life story would be fine (maybe have it a more action-filled day with a small conflict, but they don't all got to be saving the day). How I imagine it would sort of be like the Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories Reverse/Rebirth campaign. Just like how Riku couldn't make his own deck but used a pre-made one for each world he went to, in these Pokemon side stories the trainer you're playing as will have set Pokemon (maybe at most you can change around Moves (and can use items) but otherwise you have what you're given).

Ah, that stinks. As Yung Dramps said it was a nice bit of backstory were it true and explain several things about her character (obsessive devotion to Rose, having a Garbodor, the few lines of dialogue that "supported" the theory). Going to guess inspiration also came from Bede's backstory, seems odd for Rose to just take an orphan off the streets and give him a boon in life... unless he did this before.

Also, reading through Oleana's dialogue I realized I myself made a boo-boo. During the "Darkest Day" event and Oleana is begging you to help Rose I misread her saying "I’ve enlisted the help of the Champion’s younger brother, too, but who knows what is going on..." as "I've enlisted the help of the Chairman's younger brother". Till now I thought Rose has a younger brother but turns out I'm just bad at reading. Probably should have realized something was off as till then she was saying "Mr. Rose" instead of "Chairman".

Last edited:
The name Indigo Plateau for the Kanto Pokémon League seems random and I admit, I totally forgot about it. Then, many years later, I realized that it fits the two best trainers in the region: Red and Blue. Ok, it had the name before they became Champions but imo the names suddenly become more fitting.
It's also, well, the names of the games themselves!

In Japanese, it's called 'Seikei', which translates to quartz. Not too sure what's going on there; I assume it's referencing a specific reddish-greenish one?

The name Indigo Plateau for the Kanto Pokémon League seems random and I admit, I totally forgot about it. Then, many years later, I realized that it fits the two best trainers in the region: Red and Blue. Ok, it had the name before they became Champions but imo the names suddenly become more fitting.
It only took me like 5 years before I realised that Colress is short for colorless, as in, not black nor white. Hugh (hue) is probably not a coincidence either.

GF can be pretty clever with naming characters and locations sometimes.

It's also, well, the names of the games themselves!

In Japanese, it's called 'Seikei', which translates to quartz. Not too sure what's going on there; I assume it's referencing a specific reddish-greenish one?
I assume the intent with Quartz is the clear kind, clear quartz aince that's pure quartz. All the names even in Japanese reference colors so the intent being a fancy clear color as the final location makes sense.

Indigo was probably chosen because it sounded cooler

So I was replaying Pokemon LeafGreen and Pokemon Let's Go, Eevee at the same time a couple nights ago, and I realized one small thing that the first remakes did better than the second ones, in my opinion: the speed at which your character runs. Sure, you have to hold down the B-button to run in FRLG, but I actually prefer having to do that and racing across Kanto than not being able to and being stuck casually jogging across the region like in the Let's Go games.

The location that I noticed this difference the most was in the Team Rocket Hideout. I was genuinely surprised at how fast the player character moved when spinning through the mazes of spin tiles in FRLG compared to the Let's Go games.

So I was replaying Pokemon LeafGreen and Pokemon Let's Go, Eevee at the same time a couple nights ago, and I realized one small thing that the first remakes did better than the second ones, in my opinion: the speed at which your character runs. Sure, you have to hold down the B-button to run in FRLG, but I actually prefer having to do that and racing across Kanto than not being able to and being stuck casually jogging across the region like in the Let's Go games.

The location that I noticed this difference the most was in the Team Rocket Hideout. I was genuinely surprised at how fast the player character moved when spinning through the mazes of spin tiles in FRLG compared to the Let's Go games.
Gen 3's speed is always surprising to me and it's why it's easily one of the most playable generations to me. It and 5 just feel so much faster and optimised than other games and it really makes for some fun replays!

Talking of LGPE and FRLG... one thing I've been thinking of recently is that I love how they both have their advantages and disadvantages as Kanto remakes. I have reasons to replay both (... or would, if I actually owned LGE; but I done a couple replays while I was borrowing it), and I like each of them for different things they do. Neither overshadows the other in my opinion and each offer a different experience

I think spritework is just easier to make go fast.
Gen 4 tanked the speed hard because of the engine, id guess owed to the use of 3d environment causing performance issues that they spent several games optimizing through gen 5.
So following on that the 3D titles , aside fromaesthetically wantinf to lend weight to the actions, need to go that speed for performance reasons too.

You see it in most 3d games. Generally speaking Mario or Link will move much faster in their 2d games.

Talking about how clever the naming of the characters in gen 5 is got me thinking about the naming in other gens. I just did a playthrough of SoulSilver, and I noticed how most area's have extremely flat and unoriginal names like "ice path" and "dark cave", something I never consciously noticed before. "Lake of Rage" also sounds like it's very literal translation.

I actually find this kind of charming in a way. A pearl of pre-2000 game design. It's very apparant that GF has a much better translation team now.

Talking about how clever the naming of the characters in gen 5 is got me thinking about the naming in other gens. I just did a playthrough of SoulSilver, and I noticed how most area's have extremely flat and unoriginal names like "ice path" and "dark cave", something I never consciously noticed before. "Lake of Rage" also sounds like it's very literal translation.

I actually find this kind of charming in a way. A pearl of pre-2000 game design. It's very apparant that GF has a much better translation team now.
I think it's less translation and more the names themselves got better to begin with.

You are very right at how flat a lot of gen 2's names are but let's compare wiiiithhh...let's go with gen 6, Kalos.
Connecting, Glitter, Reflection & Terminus Caves are all the exact same in english & japanese.
As are Santalune Forest (well, Hakudan), Parfum Palace, Azure Bay are all the same
Tower of Mastery was Master Tower, Frost Cavern was Frost Cave, etc not too diffferent. Valid readings, change for flow at best.

These are all not that different from ol' Rock Runnel, Ice Path or Dark Cave but the descriptors themselves are more flavorful to begin with. The most flavorful bit of localization is found on Chamber of Emptiness (originally just "Hollow Room") and Sea Spirit Den (originally referencing Watatsumi which is an ocean god, so sea spirit is a clever localization).

Even in Gen 8 it's about the same deal. Wild Area has some pretty interesting sounding areas, right? Most of them are either the exact same, about equivalent (Meetup Space -> Meetup Spot) or had their reference brought over just properly localized. For example Axewell & Miloch are still references to Axew & Milotic in Japanese or the assorted town-based areas.
Though to their credit, they did do due diligance on some of the more awkward direct translations such as...
Dappeled Grove Peeking Sunlight Grove
Rolling Fields Splendid Grassland
Dusty Bowl Dust Cloud Pit

and my personal favorite
Bridge Field Field Between Bridges

But you know what I'll always appreciate the localization for? Town names! It's always fun to see what theming they go with or hwo they differ since they can very rarely just use the Japanese names. Gen 5 being all about clouds is fun, everyone loves the extremely flavorful selection of colors from gen 1 and, let me tell you, they put in some work for gen 8.
Towns in Japanese gen 8 are like...just the english word. Like Hammerlocke? That's Knuckle. Motostoke? That's "Engine." Honestly gives me gen 2 prototype vibes, like they wouldn't be out of place alongside "High Tech". So good on you, localizers.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Towns in Japanese gen 8 are like...just the english word. Like Hammerlocke? That's Knuckle. Motostoke? That's "Engine." Honestly gives me gen 2 prototype vibes, like they wouldn't be out of place alongside "High Tech". So good on you, localizers.
Wait, what, really? Let me see:

Postwick - Furlong Town. Alright, a furlong was a unit once used to measure fields with an alternate Japanese spelling meaning a distance pole used in horse racing. So they just used the "post" definition and added British suffix for town. Makes sense I guess, like other home town names it's meant to represent the beginning point of the adventure.
Wedgehurst - Brassie Town. Brassie is a type of golf club, okay... well the English team made it work using another type of golf club with a name that has additional meanings and the word that means wooded hill. Not sure where I see the golf inspiration GF, but for English you can take the town's name meaning it's a town wedged into a hilly forest. Also it's a hilly forest town placed between the starting home, the Professor's lab, and Wild Area which would fit with it being a town wedged in the middle of these important locations.
Motostoke - Engine City. I mean, they're not wrong but feels very in-your-face. Motostoke obviously has "motor" to call back to the engine part but uses "stoke" which has two meanings: stirring up flames (referencing Kabu's Fire-type preference) and is a British toponym term for a (secondary) settlement.
Turffield - Turf Town. Both obvious though Turrfield at least sounds like a location name.
Hulbury - Bow Town. Bow and hull are parts of a ship which makes sense for a port town, though English name adds "bury" which is a British suffix for a fortified enclosure. Hm, I mean we do have to get to it by going through a tunnel dug into a hillside which I guess could be considered a fortification. Though I can also just see the translation team having a list of British town suffixes and locations and just mix-and-matched until they got names they liked.
Hammerlocke - Knuckle City. What? Is GF saying the town is like a hand's knuckles which then splits into the 5 individual fingers like how it splits into paths that leads to the 5 other cities? Feels like the translation team might have struggled with having a related theme so went with a martial arts term (a "hammerlock" is an armlock when you hold your opponent's arm behind their back and hands upwards toward the neck) which could also be locking terminology (a "hammer" is part of a gun's locking mechanism and "locke" is another toponym term which is for a lockable location such as a vault). And honestly the "hammer" part is a stretch (unless you want to take Raihan's signature Pokemon, Daruladon, into consideration).
Stow-on-Side - Lateral Town. So all have to do with a a sport term, specifically for American Football and rugby. "Lateral" is from "lateral pass" which is a throw from one player to another which isn't in the direction toward the goal. This throw is also called an "onside pass" where we get part of the English name. A "stow" is a British typonym for just a place. A more interpretive meaning can be taken from the way it's written, you can say that Stow-on-Side is a place (a stow) that's on a tall cliff side, like it's being "stowed on the side" of Galar.
Ballonlea - Arabesque Town. "Arabesque" is a ballot position (probably the most well known one, where the ballerina is standing on one of her foot with the other outstretched in the air). "Ballon" is another ballet term (where, when the ballerina is jumping, she looks lightweight and light-footed) but has "lea" which is a British suffix for a woodland clearing. Like I guess Fairy-types have this sort of ballot feeling to them, notably with Aromatisse & retconned Kirlia. Taking the ballot terms into consideration, both also fit with arabesque fitting the Gym's theater theme while ballon does match with the town's "floaty" atmosphere.
Circhester - Circus Town. NOT THAT KIND OF CIRCUS! The words "circus" is ancient Roman for an open-air sports arena (don't know how in modern times that turned into a big tent filled with clowns). The appearance of the town matches the Roman origin of the word. Translators didn't try to think of another name, think they threw their hands up in the air and just added "chester" which is a British suffix for fortification but it has a more Roman origin).
Spikemuth - Spike Town. Speaks for itself. "Muth" comes from mouth, a British typonym for river mouth or bay, which makes sense as Spikemuth's entrance is by a river mouth.
Wyndon - Shoot City. Shoot as in a Soccer player "shooting the ball", that's all. Wyndon shows a lot more thought as it contains "win", "wynd" (a narrow lane between houses normally used in Scotland & Northern England), the city London which Wyndon is based on, and finally the British suffix "-don" that means hill (in this case probably meaning "top of the hill").

Also shoutout to the more interesting sounding Slumbering Weald and Glimwood Tangle which original names were Slumbering Forest and Luminous Maze Forest.

However Galar Mine, Galar Mine No. 2, and Route 9 Tunnel could have used some more love. :P

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't posted here in a while, but I wanted to welcome the opportunity to address a little thing I like about Gen 8: the Mewtwo raid event.

While the raiding system, in conjunction with the wild area, is undeniably one of the concrete trademark elements of the current generation par excellence, I still can't help but think that it has gotten stale already because of the lack of an actual "challenge".
Most of the times you don't even have to interact with other players to take down a raid Pokémon and you can even complete most of them with the admittely suboptimal movesets and playstyles of the AI.

The currently ongoing Mewtwo event is a notably different example however and opens the promising possibility of there potentially being more raids involving legendary Pokémon in the future of post-DLC Gen 8.

It's safe for me to assume that I speak for most of us when I say that these Mewtwos have effortlessly wiped our teams before.
While the difficulty is admittedly a bit much for newer players, I feel like this was a much needed challenge for veteran players.

It genuinely incentivizes teamwork and creativity among players that need to come together and communicate in order to coordinate these raids:

"Who brings which Pokémon?"
"Who brings which moves?"
"When are the key moments to use certain moves?"

Etc.

While the rewards that you get for beating it are undeniably worth the effort, I also feel like the prestige of having defeated Mewtwo with your friends and, in some cases even, random players is the true reward here. In the day and age where Pokémon has developped a bad habit of helicopter parenting players, this was a highly welcomed change for once and here's to hoping that they keep doing challenging raids like this in the future. With many of the old legendary coming back into the game now, I genuinely feel like it'd be blatantly wasted potential if they didn't go that route.

There is no absolute way of beating it and you can come up with very unique and funny ways of doing so, as demonstrated by this approach:
(4 Pokémon with Water Absorb spamming Surf to break the shields while simultaneously healing each other)

I'd like to conclude by saying that these raids are strongly reminiscent of how Mewtwo "strikes back" in the first movie back in the day:

Dr. Fuji: "We dreamed of creating the world's strongest Pokémon...and we succeeded."

Mewtwo: "That cannot be. You said we were partners. We stood as equals."
Giovanni: "You were created by humans to obey humans. You could never be our equal."
Mewtwo: "Humans may have created me, but they will never enslave me! This cannot be my destiny!"
Giovanni: "Stop this now!"
Mewtwo: "I wasn't born a Pokémon, I was created; and my creators have used and betrayed me! So, I stand alone!"

All in all, I genuinely feel like Pokémon's anniversary was a resounding success this year, giving both newer and older players something to enjoy.

Last edited:
Decided to scroll through the HOME renders and pick out my favorite shinies.
poke_capture_0015_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0015_001_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0193_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0271_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0318_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0351_002_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0497_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0638_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0038_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0237_000_mo_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0563_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0655_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0109_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0110_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0442_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0103_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0103_001_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0152_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0153_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0455_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0708_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0709_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0755_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0443_000_fd_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0482_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0536_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0615_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0746_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0746_001_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0545_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0692_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0693_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0182_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0407_000_fd_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0549_000_fo_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0556_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0589_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0252_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0253_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0270_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0126_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0467_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0146_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0351_001_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0346_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0631_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0792_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0197_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0525_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0526_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0570_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0622_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0623_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0374_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0375_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0376_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0487_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0487_001_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0209_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0230_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0297_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0303_001_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0351_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0441_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0679_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0682_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0683_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0733_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0761_000_fo_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0762_000_fo_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0763_000_fo_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0848_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0251_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0293_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0336_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0829_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0250_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0814_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0028_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0685_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0027_001_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0028_001_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0144_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0646_000_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0699_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0131_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0162_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0181_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0181_001_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0287_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0751_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0752_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0849_001_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0502_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0511_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0513_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

poke_capture_0646_001_uk_n_00000000_f_r.png

Great balance of black and white.

poke_capture_0837_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0838_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png
poke_capture_0839_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

Some parts stay black, making them pop out where they didn't before. Also, see blue and gold.

poke_capture_0866_000_mf_n_00000000_f_r.png

Muted color scheme hearkens back to old black-and-white Charlie Chaplin films.

I really like the DexNav in OR/AS. It is a great feature, among the best ones in the series if you ask me. I like how it changes the encounter system slightly as it lets the player choose when to encounter a Pokémon instead of the game. It also lets the player choose which species of Pokémon they want to encounter (at least most of the time as you might not always be able to find the Pokémon you want). The DexNav also lets you see information about the Pokémon before the battle starts, such as IVs, Ability, a possible Hold Item and even a move. Even better, after raising the search level a bit, it lets you obtain rare features such as Hidden Abilities and Egg moves! Which is really cool. On the whole, I think the DexNav is really awesome, and it is among the closest the series has gotten to what I consider the ultimate encounter system in Pokémon.

One more thing I like about the DexNav is this: after completing the Cave Of Origin part during the OR/AS main story, new Pokémon start to appear in DexNav spots on the various routes of Hoenn, creating some well-needed variety. I have noticed that several of these new Pokémon are similar to the ones you usually find on the route. For example, let's take a look at Route 101. The regular Pokémon that can be found there are Wurmple, Zigzagoon and Poochyena. A three-stage Bug-type, an early common Normal-type and a two-stage Dark-type. The new DexNav Pokémon that appear are Sewaddle, Lillipup and Zorua. Those are a three-stage Bug-type, an early common Normal-type and a two-stage Dark-type, similar to the regular Pokémon found on the route, so that's really cool! Not all of the DexNav exclusives are this similar to the regular Pokémon on the route, but several of them are. Another example is how Seel is found as a new DexNav Pokémon on Route 125. This route is next to Shoal Cave, where you can find Spheal.

Let's talk about minigames. I want to say everything I can think about regarding one of my favorite minigames. I don't think have ever talked about it in this thread before, it has been mentioned by others though. Pokéstar Studios. It is one of my top three favorite minigames in the series (the others are the Musicals and the Funfest Missions). I like how Pokéstar Studios is essentially puzzle battles, but they do not always have a completely obvious solution. They also give you a chance to re-do the recording part without having to watch the completed movie first, which is good since it means things will take less time when you screw up. I like how you can get three different endings on all movies, and the way the audience reacts to a strange ending is just so funny! Many of the graphics here are really impressive too, notably several of the backgrounds and the unique opponents you get to face. I read that one reason Pokéstar Studios was created was because they wanted to expand on the visuals in the games, and I think they definitely succeeded with that. Personally, I got a special feeling when recording a movie at Pokéstar Studios. The things you do while recording the movie often turned out to be completely different compared to the expected final result because you weren't given all the details before starting, or even during the recording. It felt sort of... surreal? I'm not sure about the right word to describe it and I have a hard time explaining it, but it was a feeling that nothing else in Pokémon has ever given me. I also found it very enjoyable to watch several of the completed movies, and I really liked how you got a ton of gifts from fans after completing a new movie. There were also a lot of Medals that could be obtained from there, as well as a Trainer Card upgrade. You also get a statue for completing all the movies, and access to a special locker room which has a list of old movies with titles that are parodies of real stories and movies, but with Pokémon names instead (a full list of these movie titles and what they are a parody of can be found in this post, credit to Pikachu315111 for putting it together). So yeah, there are many reasons as for why Pokéstar Studios is one of my favorite minigames, and I think I have mentioned all of them here.

More on the same subject. As mentioned above, I also like the Pokémon Musicals. I know that they are not among the most well-liked minigames, but they are one of my personal favorites. I like how they are simple and can be completed quickly, a minigame doesn't need to be the hardest or most complicated in order to be fun (but hard and complicated minigames can still be fun if they are executed well, like with Pokéstar Studios). I was also never a fan of the 4th Gen contests, the Musicals felt like a step up for me, and I think that made me appreciate them even more. The Musicals were really fun on the whole and that's all I ask for from a minigame.

One more minigame I like. Mantine Surfing in US/UM. This was very fun and something I honestly missed in S/M as they had no real minigame. This was a very good opportunity to make such a minigame since it fits the theme of Alola very well and I'm happy that it was created. I think it can be compared to the Ultra Wormhole Ride since they are based around a similar principle. In my opinion, Mantine Surfing is the one that got better executed. It allows you to pick up speed based on your own skill, compared to the Ultra Ride which only lets you do so if there are speed orbs (and they will no longer appear after you have travelled a certain distance). Mantine Surf also has much better controls, it doesn't have semi-transparent walls that appear out of nowhere, and it has a set goal while the Ultra Ride can end completely by accident or you may never be able to reach your desired goal during a single playthrough of it. For Mantine Surf, I also liked doing the various tricks and spins during the high jumps. In the end, Mantine Surfing is not one of my top favorite minigames in the series, but it is still one of the better ones.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
A lot of people have wondered why Aaron, the Bug type Sinnoh Elite Four member, uses the Dark/Poison Drapion as his ace instead of, say, Yanmega. Hell, people have wondered why Drapion isn't a Bug, especially when Skorupi is. Personally, after pondering it a bit, I actually think this was likely intentional and really clever design if so.

Think of some of Bug's common weaknesses and things that resist it: Poison, Ghost, Fire, Flying, Rock. Well 3 of these types are only neutral match-ups vs Drapion, with 2 of those (Flying and Rock) being primarily physical, which won't do much considering Drapion's high Defense. Then there's Poison and Ghost, which change from good resistances to outright liabilities as they too are now resisted. Now think of Bug's resistances, in particular Fighting and Ground. Notice how the former matches up much better VS Drapion and the latter is the only type that hits it super-effectively. Drapion is seemingly designed to reverse many of Bug's match-ups, offensively and defensively!

Assuming you don't catch your own, Aaron's Drapion will likely be the player's first sight of the Pokemon during the main story in DPP. However, the player also will have encountered plenty of Skorupis via NPC battles, which, as mentioned earlier, is Poison/Bug. A blind player going up against Aaron's Drapion will likely be tricked into thinking its also Bug/Poison, only to find their Rock or Psychic move doesn't hit for super-effective damage. This especially fits seeing as Dark is a type known in-universe for using dirty tactics in battle, including deception.

Now, there's always the chance I'm just way overthinking it and this is all a coincidence. But considering that in Platinum Yanmega was added to the regional dex (Aaron even now uses it, but just as his first Pokemon) and they not only didn't switch Aaron to that but kept the non-Bug Drapion as his ace while they did such changes for others (e.g. Bertha's ace being Rhyperior instead of Hippowdon), I think in one way or another, Drapion and its unorthodox type were totally intended from the start.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Twisting it by design is an interesting idea, but honestly I just assumed they gave him Drapion because it evolved from a bug and that was good enough, then kept it because it was a cooler & scarier looking ace pokemon.
I would have to agree with what R_N said. It more looks like two design philosophies combined making Aaron's ace a non-Bug-type rather then being intentional.

First, Drapion changing from a Bug/Poison to a Dark/Poison. Gen IV introduced 5.5 Dark-type families: Darkrai, Honchkrow, Weavile, Stunky & Skutank, Spiritomb, & Drapion (counting it as half). Of the seven, one was a Legendary, 2 were evolutions of past gen Pokemon, and Spiritomb was a special case. Without Drapion that would have left the Stunky family being the only new Dark-type that could normally be obtained. Drapion may have been made into a Dark-type out of the need for more normally obtained Dark-types. "Why not make it a Bug/Dark-type"? Because Poison-types were pretty much on the same boat as Dark-type with 4 families: Stunky & Skuntank once again, Skorupi & Drapion of course, Croagunk & Toxicroak, and Budew & Roserade. Meanwhile Bug-types, though it got 3.5 families (counting Skorupi has half), one of that family was the Burmy family which not only was a branched evolution but also had a form gimmick which bolstered their numbers. Though to maybe latch something off Yung Dramps theory, they also could have thought it becoming Bug/Dark didn't really give it anything additional thus felt like a frivolous change while Dark/Poison really changed up Drapion's Type interactions.

Second, when making Aaron's team they obviously had to stick with Bug-types. Aaron's DP team was Dustox, Beautifly, Vespiquen, Heracross, & Drapion. And remember, this was an Elite Four member. While they probably would have loved to use Yanmega (which they later gave him in Platinum), DP had this odd design philosophy that didn't allow most of the new cross gen evolutions to be used by NPCs. And sure, Aaron could have used the Burmy family... yeah, even then they weren't going to be his ace Pokemon. It pretty much came down to Vespiquen which wouldn't be a bad choice... OR bend the rules a little and allow him to have Drapion since it evolved from a Bug-type. And considering the team building shenanigans they were doing with Flint's team this looked tame in comparison. So in the end the much stronger Drapion became Aaron's ace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 14)