Little things you like about Pokémon

One thing I love is how us older fans keep coming up with new and interesting challenges for our playthroughs. The games, as many of us have lamented, aren't very difficult thanks to the fact that we have years of experience, detailed knowledge of how the game plays, and the simple fact that we aren't under the age of 13. But the ways we've come up with:
Nuzlocke and its one-hundred-and-fifty-one variants (including Wonderlocke)
Team Rocket Challenge
The unholy offspring of the above two (Rocketlocke!)
Single Pokémon runs
Alternate starters
Crap 'Mons runs
Randomized runs (along with Randomized Nuzlockes)
Limits on what items you can use (I saw one masochist restrict themselves to standard Poké Balls only)
Monotype runs
Theme runs

The list goes on and on. There are as many ways to play Pokémon as there are Pokémon themselves.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I like how that, despite all the mulch we give about the movies, currently a Pokemon movie marathon stream on twitch is keeping a constant 50k viewership and over time over 3 million views (not to mention the Twitch Chat is hilarious to watch as they react to every single moment and have come up with some memes).

If Pokemon Company put some commercials in they would probably be making a nice sum of money doing this (probably more than these movies have made for a while (at least for the older movies)).

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
I like how that, despite all the mulch we give about the movies, currently a Pokemon movie marathon stream on twitch is keeping a constant 50k viewership and over time over 3 million views (not to mention the Twitch Chat is hilarious to watch as they react to every single moment and have come up with some memes).

If Pokemon Company put some commercials in they would probably be making a nice sum of money doing this (probably more than these movies have made for a while (at least for the older movies)).
About the films, I absolutely love the beautiful scenery that gets crammed into the films. Even when the movie had a mediocre plot, the detail put into the landscape the movie takes place in (to the point they will go to parts of the world to research) usually makes up for it. It also makes me really sad when the same scenery gets torn asunder.

About the films, I absolutely love the beautiful scenery that gets crammed into the films. Even when the movie had a mediocre plot, the detail put into the landscape the movie takes place in (to the point they will go to parts of the world to research) usually makes up for it. It also makes me really sad when the same scenery gets torn asunder.
I love the Rise of Darkrai movie in particular. I wish more of the movies came out on DVD in the country i am in right now.

Last time I checked (which was recently), you could still get Dream Radar. Just buy a cheap, used copy of B2W2 and Dream Radar (along with a copy of HeartGold to get Ho-Oh and SoulSilver to get Lugia), and you should be good.
*Groans* I guess I'll have to put this on my "to do" list one of these days, assuming that they aren't made available through other means (I already have SoulSilver: I just have to have a copy inserted to get MS Lugia, right (I do NOT want to start over the game file!)? Though getting a copy of HeartGold for Regen Ho-Oh is gonna be another expense...).

*Groans* I guess I'll have to put this on my "to do" list one of these days, assuming that they aren't made available through other means (I already have SoulSilver: I just have to have a copy inserted to get MS Lugia, right (I do NOT want to start over the game file!)? Though getting a copy of HeartGold for Regen Ho-Oh is gonna be another expense...).
Correct.

Whenever I use the punching bags in Super Training to make slight adjustments to my Pokémon's EVs, I always admired the patterns on each punching bag, especially how the ones that boost EVs have patterns related to Pokémon families that specialize in the stat you've earned:
  • HP -- Azurill
  • Attack -- Machop
  • Defense -- Aron
  • Sp. Attack -- Litwick
  • Sp. Defense -- Flabébé (the Florges one is much easier to recognize)
  • Speed -- Zubat
And then there's the white Reset Bag, a bag so plain that it feels symbolic of one's trained Pokémon returning to the "blank slate" it once was.

Can I say that I love Mega Slowbro's design? It's such a logical progression for both its aesthetic and stat distribution.

The Shell looks sufficiently goofy to match Slowbro's original slightly derpy design, so it's pretty adorable, especially that he reacts to stuff now too.

I also love the logic behind it. Slowbro was already a Physical tank, but the Mega makes it even more defensive. Now how does it do this? The Shellder/Cloyster that clamped onto its tail grows onto it as armor, right down to Slowbro having the same outright Physical Defense stat (180) as Cloyster after the Mega Evolution.

Can I say that I love Mega Slowbro's design? It's such a logical progression for both its aesthetic and stat distribution.

The Shell looks sufficiently goofy to match Slowbro's original slightly derpy design, so it's pretty adorable, especially that he reacts to stuff now too.

I also love the logic behind it. Slowbro was already a Physical tank, but the Mega makes it even more defensive. Now how does it do this? The Shellder/Cloyster that clamped onto its tail grows onto it as armor, right down to Slowbro having the same outright Physical Defense stat (180) as Cloyster after the Mega Evolution.
Whoa wait, Cloyster has base 180 physical defense? Then Shell Smash really does affect its defense by a metric butt ton (or is that just Ice having super shitty weaknesses?)

Whoa wait, Cloyster has base 180 physical defense? Then Shell Smash really does affect its defense by a metric butt ton (or is that just Ice having super shitty weaknesses?)
Part of it is typing, but more importantly, it's how stat changes are calculated. Stages are fractions, so the larger the stat, the harder a stat drop hurts (and the better a stat raise becomes).

It's a really great example of how badly GF tends to handle Ice-Types. Here you have Cloyster; the only particularly good defensive ice-type. Why is it good? Because it has a move that sacrifices it's defence for offence.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's a really great example of how badly GF tends to handle Ice-Types. Here you have Cloyster; the only particularly good defensive ice-type. Why is it good? Because it has a move that sacrifices it's defence for offence.
Regice was a pretty good specially defensive Ice-type in ADV. Also, Cloyster has run defensively-oriented sets in the past (Spikes in ADV OU) so it's not like Cloyster has never been good for its defensive traits; just that it's presently good for its offensive traits.

Also, ever noticed how every time Game Freak tries to make a defensive Ice-type, it ends up sucking (Avalugg?) I feel like there's a reason for that...

Anyway, to answer the thread, I really like how X and Y broke the "Fire/Fighting starter" streak. That shit was getting old. They could have stopped with Infernape, but they just had to make another. Here's to hoping we don't get another Fire/Fighting in Sun and Moon, though...

I really freaking love that they left in the glitches in the virtual console releases of RBY. It means that even when the carts die out; the Mew glitch and Missingno aren't lost to time and they're still fun to pull off.

Anyway, to answer the thread, I really like how X and Y broke the "Fire/Fighting starter" streak. That shit was getting old. They could have stopped with Infernape, but they just had to make another. Here's to hoping we don't get another Fire/Fighting in Sun and Moon, though...
They'd better not. Because unless it is the most amazing Fire/Fighting we've ever seen (and why the hell haven't they made a Specially-oriented Fire/Fighting with Aura Sphere?! Rather than that stupid sumo pig!), then I'm not raising one until I have to fill my Pokédex with them!

They'd better not. Because unless it is the most amazing Fire/Fighting we've ever seen (and why the hell haven't they made a Specially-oriented Fire/Fighting with Aura Sphere?! Rather than that stupid sumo pig!), then I'm not raising one until I have to fill my Pokédex with them!
Technically, Infernape's offensive stats are equal so you can easily go the special route with Focus Miss if you want. Emboar also has a decent amount of Special Attack; I had Scald on it for quite a bit in my White 2 run.

Regice was a pretty good specially defensive Ice-type in ADV. Also, Cloyster has run defensively-oriented sets in the past (Spikes in ADV OU) so it's not like Cloyster has never been good for its defensive traits; just that it's presently good for its offensive traits.

Also, ever noticed how every time Game Freak tries to make a defensive Ice-type, it ends up sucking (Avalugg?) I feel like there's a reason for that...

Ice types like this are good and it takes skill to use them.

Ice types like this are good and it takes skill to use them.
I assume you mean like Cloyster, in which case, this is true. It helps that Water/Ice is a better typing than pure Ice. Avalugg, however...Okay, so Steel, Fighting, and Rock may be primarily physical, but you're still almost always taking a hit first, and even with that Defense stat, it's still gonna hurt.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I assume you mean like Cloyster, in which case, this is true. It helps that Water/Ice is a better typing than pure Ice. Avalugg, however...Okay, so Steel, Fighting, and Rock may be primarily physical, but you're still almost always taking a hit first, and even with that Defense stat, it's still gonna hurt.
I am pretty sure he was joking.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While watching the most recent Pokémon Direct, I'd have to say that "We hope that Pokémon helps players overcome language barriers" was definitely my favorite sentence in the entire Direct.

I like the undeniable fact that the world of Pokémon starts to increasingly share strong similarities with the current globalized, cross-cultural and multilingual world that we all live in.

Being a language student, currently speaking 5 languages fluently, I'm also highly interested in the fact that they're going to add both Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese to the Sun and Moon games.

Interacting with people from all over the world has to be the most fascinating aspect of Pokémon for me.

We may look different, speak different languages and have different believes, but when playing Pokémon, we tend to focus more on what we have in common, rather than what makes us different and start speaking the same language.

I don't know if anyone else agrees with this, but I somehow felt the urge to talk about this significant "cross-cultural encounter" theme, becoming more and more noticeable in modern-day Pokémon games, now that communication has never been easier.

Last edited:
On this same line of thinking, same-day international releases for most (if not all? I don't remember, sorry), of the world. Pokemon has spoiled me rotten in this regard. In this day and age I feel that releasing games like Fire Emblem Fates and even Smash Brothers 3DS months later in North America than in Japan, and likely more months later in Europe/Australia/etc is a crime, given that Pokemon shows that it's obviously possible and works for one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, not to mention that recent games are getting support for what, 7 languages? More? On one cart. So, kudos to Pokemon for doing that. Not only does it make non-Japanese players feel like they're not second-class gamers and preventing the inevitable spoilers for the rest of the world from an early Japanese release.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On this same line of thinking, same-day international releases for most (if not all? I don't remember, sorry), of the world.
Yeah, I fully agree with that.
Europe however got the ΩRαS games an entire week later than the US and Japan.
Needless to say that I was kinda frustrated since I had to avoid all of the spoilers on YouTube, Twitch etc.

Hopefully they won't do that again for Sun and Moon.

Last edited:
Yup. I fully agree with that.
Europe however got the ORAS games an entire week later than the US and Japan.
Needless to say that I was kinda frustrated since I had to avoid all spoilers on YouTube, Twitch etc.

Hopefully they won't do that again for Sun&Moon.

Best greetings.
I kept feeling that was punishment since a lot of Europe and Canada broke release date for X&Y.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
The little things I liked? Pokemon Stadium games' Minigames. It's fun (unless you are facing Very Hard CPU), mostly adorable and easy to play.

Pokemon Frontier. It just need to be more competitive and less "unfair", like no Evasion increasement allowed, and should worth getting more BPs, at least for the first two wins in a row.

And last but not least, PokePark Wii and 2. I haven't played it but it would be fun to really interact with other Pokemon and make real-time battles, which is something that would be better than the more luck-based battles in the core games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)