Little things you like about Pokémon

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
At 2:35, Silver reacts to the critical and talks rights before using Safeguard. Another thing I like is how heavy Lugia sounds when falling at 5:07.
Electrode's speed proved to be vital against the Rival. One Paralysis is all it needs to put even Mewtwo into big troubles!

There's that feeling of triumphal satisfaction about defeating any player or NPC that uses a Legendary against you.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Can we talk about how unintentionally perfect it is that Incineroar, one of the most controversial starters in recent memory and certainly the most controversial Alola starter with many jokes deriding its appearance and supposedly thin attempt to avoid a Fire/Fighting type is based on a heel wrestler

"You think I'm going to be a Fighting-type just cause I wrestle, well think again Hawlucha Hogan! I'm going to Throat Chop you, Darkest Lariat you, and Malicious Moonsault you all over this arena! SKRONK*

Actually, this works on another level too: Dark-types are weak to Fighting-types which is seen as the more virtuous Type, which means the heel wrestler (Incineroar) would have a weakness to the babyface (probably Hawlucha)!

I like how the Battle Stadium is having a special ban list for the next two months. They used to do things like this on the special ladder for Gens 6 and 7, but those ladders become dead rather quickly, making it hard to play. Since there is no special ladder in Gen 8, they applies a ban list that includes the top 10 Pokémon from Singles and Doubles and applied them to both formats, 16 in total. It’s actually very refreshing and I am having a really good time using Pokémon that don’t usually stand a chance due to have a chance. It’s also great for the VGC scene, since they never had a special ban list other than Box a Legendaries.

And secondly, I like how each route in XY had its own name in XY, other than the Route + #. I was never a fan of how they went back to using Route 1 for routes starting with BW, it just sounds so generic, but XY gives each Route its own unique name, making them feel like they are special for once. It’s a nice little touch that I wish they would bring back.

"You think I'm going to be a Fighting-type just cause I wrestle, well think again Hawlucha Hogan! I'm going to Throat Chop you, Darkest Lariat you, and Malicious Moonsault you all over this arena! SKRONK*

Actually, this works on another level too: Dark-types are weak to Fighting-types which is seen as the more virtuous Type, which means the heel wrestler (Incineroar) would have a weakness to the babyface (probably Hawlucha)!
Add the fact that it doesn't get STAB on Fighting moves makes sense since heel wrestlers are portrayed as physically weaker (but more cunning) than babyfaces, thus making them resort to dirty tactics (Dark-type moves).

I'd add Hitmonchan as a perfect example of a babyface fighter since it refuses to learn dirty moves such as Sucker Punch and Knock Off while its evolutionary counterparts can.

Add the fact that it doesn't get STAB on Fighting moves makes sense since heel wrestlers are portrayed as physically weaker (but more cunning) than babyfaces, thus making them resort to dirty tactics (Dark-type moves).

I'd add Hitmonchan as a perfect example of a babyface fighter since it refuses to learn dirty moves such as Sucker Punch and Knock Off while its evolutionary counterparts can.
But it's fine with crippling windpipes, throwing items, theft, and chasing down fleeing opponents.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
But it's fine with crippling windpipes, throwing items, theft, and chasing down fleeing opponents.
But Hitmonchan doesn't naturally (via level-up) any of these moves. It had to rely on TMs to learn any of them. That's not the case for a certain Galarian Farfetch'd line, which Sirfetch'd is supposed to fight with honor but can still learn Brutal Swing and Knock Off via level up thanks to the more to-the-face Galarian Farfetch'd capable of learning them via level up. Not a bad thing, it just makes a sense of irony.

To stay in-topic, I like how Pokémon Mystery Dungeon took a liberty to allow the boss Pokémon (and eldritch bosses) to have much higher HP than average enemies, to allow a standalone boss to have a fighting chance. It also allows the Guildmaster Wigglytuff to live up for his hidden prowess during a certain final exam battle, considering the cutscenes, although subtle, shows that he's more than meet the eye and lives up to his title. He gave me troubles with his Double Slap (multi-hit moves are buffed in older PMD games) many times!

This vastly contrast normal Wigglytuff which... are pretty weak with average attack, low bulk and low speed despite being a Stone Evolution.

I like that recent generations produce new Pokedex entries for older Pokemon instead of recycling old Pokedex entries. These new Pokedex entries also showcase the Pokemon's interactions with other Pokemon (rivalry, predator and prey) which is cool.

What I miss about the older Pokedex entries though are their mentions of the real world. I liked how Arcanine was a legendary Pokemon in China and how Xatu can be found in South America.

Why is does this actually slap? It's such a short loop...

Even the GSC version is actually kinda nice...

Who designs these, I need to shake their hand. I may even rethink my habit of mashing A to get through pre-battle text.
Most of the trainer encounter themes from gen 4 are pretty fire. One of my favorites is the Fisherman encounter, which sets a tragic tone.

Future generations made the right choice by having shorter loops for encounter themes. But I do like the gen 4 encounter themes more as actual music.

That one cutscene in Pokemon SM after you beat Acerola's trial. There is a hard to spot Mimikyu sneaking through the background just as Acerola is saying that she feels chills from getting so scared. It's like the only piece of subtlety in all of the cutscene's in SM.

I also like how the audio in the Thrifty Megamart sometimes doesn't work properly (by design of course). It made me double check my headphones.

As critical as I am of Sword and Shield... and I need to stress that I hate both of these lazy, slapped together, rushed 4/10 games with a passion... there were some nice things added to the series that if fleshed out in future generations could be neat.

I like that if your Pokemon have ribbons they get nifty little subtitles. My Porygon Z beat Red waaaay back in HGSS and now it's "Porygon Z, the living legend!" Fuckin' sweet. Rewarding me for doing all that stuff a decade ago is cool especially since they're exclusive to certain games.

While I hate the 20 minute battle timer that strangles us out of 6v6 singles I will give Gamefreak credit for at least trying to support a competitive format in VGC. It would be nice if they would introduce balance patches or bans (besides the temporary recent one) but hey I guess what we have is still an improvement. Besides it's not like we don't all just play 6v6 on Showdown anyway.

The amphibious bike and removal of HMs are great. Reusable TMs + one time use but re-collectible TRs is a great way to mix accessibility with resource management.

Raids and the wild area are poorly done BUT have the potential to be excellent. The DLC showed us what a free-roaming Pokemon game could look like, even if there were no trainers to fight or gyms. If Gamefreak actually improves upon these features instead of abandoning it like they do with most features we could see fun things like 4 people fighting together against a 6 star Arceus or something, where healing items are mandatory and some kind of strategy is needed besides "click super effective move 2-4 times".

Splitting Pokemon Home into two apps is... just stupid. I have to flip flop between my Switch and Phone multiple times to get stuff off the GTS, then move those new Pokemon around. However triple GTS slots and the multi-upload feature for Wonder Trade lets you toss those breed-jects away in bulk. It's clunky, but overall better than the previous system. Then again I am paying for it so it better be.

Dexit was awful and poorly handled. I hope they reverse it completely over time. But as long as the end result of a generation is ALL the Pokemon being patched into one place it's pretty exciting seeing Pokemon return and exploring how "new" returning Pokemon shake up the meta. However Gamefreak needs to put real effort into the DLC as a 3 hour fetch quest + some old returning content is a total rip-off. But we're all at least a little excited about something returning in a few weeks. I can't wait to use Cresselia, Zapdos, and the hideously broken Tapu Koko + Tapu Lele. Also the Regis I caught in Emerald will finally be usable! I mean in a literal sense... not really competitively.

Effectively cutting caves is overall a bad feature but I think we remember the old cave system with a bit too much nostalgia. I recently replayed BW2 and the caves were awful. Either I had repels and it was just 30 minutes of running in circles or I didn't have repels and it was agonizing. It wasn't hard. I ran from everything. It was just a big annoying waste of time. Newer Pokemon games need to focus on the exploration aspect that Isle of Armor did so well but there is a balance between two hours of running from Zubats and 5 minutes walking through a cave.

Speaking of which, removing random battles is the best thing the series has ever done, period. As said before random battles just isn't fun. It's frustrating and just requires you to stockpile Repels. But seeing Pokemon in the wild is fun. It makes the world look alive. It's also neat watching how different Pokemon interact with you. Some walk up to you and make cute noises. I wish you could interact with them in a way that doesn't involve beating the shit out of them. Maybe let that friendly Pikachu join my party if I feed it some curry? There's opportunity here.

There was some criticism about how the Pokemon "following you" moved slowly. I actually really liked that. Watching Shuckle or Metapod do their best was hilarious. Yeah they teleport if they get stuck or if you go to far but... who cares, it's just a graphical feature.

I love the concept of camping. The idea of surviving in the wild collecting bits of food to use to keep my Pokemon in fighting shape is incredible. It's the closest to experiencing a real "Pokemon adventure" this game has ever come. 10/10 on concept alone. Yeah in practice you can just fly to a Pokemon center so it's kind of pointless. Still the concept is good and hopefully they expand upon it. Maybe Gamefreak shouldn't have bragged about the "currydex" at a time when they were cutting the "national dex". Oops.

Also while the DLC was a ripoff it's probably a step in the right direction for Pokemon. There's a LOT of gameplay in this little cart so I don't mind paying for some extra content as long as the base game is good (it isn't, but maybe gen 9 will be!). I wouldn't even mind minor aesthetic DLC like clothes or whatever that gives Gamefreak income and keeps them working on the same game instead of rushing a new one out every year. Maybe one day we'll get a good MMORPG Pokemon game. Hahahahahaha jk it's been 20 years it isn't going to happen.

Oh, and did you know Vileplume from Asia have different patterns on their petals? I wish they would support regional differences like that more.
Nope, it's just male / female differences that just happened to align with regions on the GTS.

SwSh were a bunch of 10/10 ideas in a 4/10 game. There's potential in them and it does give me hope for the series. If Gamefreak improves upon these ideas instead of scrapping them Pokemon could gradually become incredible. Or maybe gen 9 will be even worse. Who knowwwwws.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
i love the trainer encounter themes, there are so many and they sound so good
Obligatory.

That one cutscene in Pokemon SM after you beat Acerola's trial. There is a hard to spot Mimikyu sneaking through the background just as Acerola is saying that she feels chills from getting so scared. It's like the only piece of subtlety in all of the cutscene's in SM.

I also like how the audio in the Thrifty Megamart sometimes doesn't work properly (by design of course). It made me double check my headphones.
I also like the amount of detail they put in Mimikyu's room (and its presentation). When you enter the backroom Rotom Dex activates on its own and you're facing the back wall seeing pictures of Pikachu all over (the first one the camera zooms in on is a simple child drawing of a girl holding the hands of two Pikachu... which means Mimikyu either drew this or its stole a girl's drawing). You hear Mimikyu chirping the entire time but it's not in front of you, you have to turn all the way around (thus also seeing at least one of the other wall's pictures) to see the Totem Mimikyu.

My own switch. I'm just guessing it's Asia only based off the patterns.

EDIT: LOL it's gender differences. I am wrong.
That's a gender difference. Females have bigger white spots on their petals since Gen IV.

I also like the amount of detail they put in Mimikyu's room (and its presentation). When you enter the backroom Rotom Dex activates on its own and you're facing the back wall seeing pictures of Pikachu all over (the first one the camera zooms in on is a simple child drawing of a girl holding the hands of two Pikachu... which means Mimikyu either drew this or its stole a girl's drawing). You hear Mimikyu chirping the entire time but it's not in front of you, you have to turn all the way around (thus also seeing at least one of the other wall's pictures) to see the Totem Mimikyu.
That's right. The whole scene is like a "it's right behind me, isn't it?" meme.

The thrifty Megasmart is really the best setting and execution among the trials in the original SM. I think the only other trial that comes close in creativity and humour is Kiawe's trial. Most of the others are kind of bland, especially Lana's trial.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That's right. The whole scene is like a "it's right behind me, isn't it?" meme.

The thrifty Megasmart is really the best setting and execution among the trials in the original SM. I think the only other trial that comes close in creativity and humour is Kiawe's trial. Most of the others are kind of bland, especially Lana's trial.
Yeah, I Acerola's is the best of them. Mina's I'd also say I like though it's not really self-contained so didn't feel like a Trial, just a quick victory tour.

I like the location of Ilima's, Lana's, and Mallow's but the trial itself wasn't anymore exciting than a Gym Puzzle.

Kiawe's and SM Sophocles was funny (though USUM Sophocles was dull).

Vast Poni Canyon has my vote for worst trial, it's just a straight path with a few wild battles. At least Ilima's, Lana's, and Mallow let you explore a bit.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
ive been playing through platinum and one thing that seems to have been overlooked is this:

when the galactic bomb on lake valor goes off while you're in the canalave library, the dialogue of the npcs in the library and the rest of the city changes to reflect the earthquake. some are just worried for their own safety, while others wonder whether it's part of something greater.

it's really small and insignificant, but i absolutely love it. in general i think platinum had a really good take on random npc dialogue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)