Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

how da fuck do you guys make such sick things, i tried it once and my house was like, 4 walls, didnt even know how to make doors so to escape random zombies i had to make a door with cubes and then like take them out so i could move out

god dam
Don't worry I have like several hundred hours in this game and all my stuff looks like that too. Guess it's just artistic ability with the medium being Minecraft or something!

how da fuck do you guys make such sick things, i tried it once and my house was like, 4 walls, didnt even know how to make doors so to escape random zombies i had to make a door with cubes and then like take them out so i could move out

god dam
Legos. Many hours of playing with Legos.

Check out the Minecraft Wiki as well, here's a link to all the craftables in the game: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Pretty much find out anything else you need there as well. From that, just conceptualize stuff in block form and you're good :D

I still debate how tall to make my buildings though, for me it just seems too...big if you're using more than 5+ blocks a floor in height and you look outside. But anything lower than 4 and you have no room to jump at all much...

We have a sheep farm at spawn!

To find it, make a right from spawnhouse, go over the ravine, and head back away from spawn, behind the Skeleton head. It's next to Agamemnon's sand pumpkin pyramid...thing.

I'm still working on the roof, but every single color of sheep is there!

Please try to keep it as orderly as possible. Sheep regrow wool now, so don't kill them!

Rawbi's Sheep Farm -- We Guarantee Our Sheep Are Organic!

Hey guys, I built a zombie exhibit in the desert behind the npc village, so if anyone wants to check it out, look for the cobblestone hut with rotten vines all over it. Here are the coords.

-310 45

I'm streaming bits of my endeavors on smogcraft frequently, the recordings, aswell as the livestream (if its on) can be seen here:

http://twitch.tv/optimusje

I'll do more with mic on tomorrow and rest of the week (aswell as some more dota 2 i think). Couldnt use mic the past few days, so thats why it wasnt on :)

So I've been taking a few screenshots of the new server.... image dump!

Hey guys,

I wanted to play some Minecraft with you all. I'm a part of oplv and a friend of thursdaypostal.

Looking forward to playing with you guys.

Smogon is back!! Yay if someone wants to claim the Wolfhampton ranch go ahead ( it has a sheep farm and a glass building in the cliff with a pokeball) i got bored of it cos it was too close to spawn. :D also....Spawn is ugly

Man I just looked through all the furniture on that site. I'm totally stealing that fishtank.

Anyway, starting work on the Groudon temple in smogcraft:

(note: this isn't built in server yet, this is purely creative mode design. The temples need to be carefully designed and tested before the build. Also I'm deliberately hiding details of the design in this shot from people so they can explore.)

The Statue:

The statue is composed of netherbrick stone/stairs, stone, iron blocks, obsidian and glowstone. Some texture packs might mess with how the netherbrick and iron looks so a texture pack that retains their colours is recommended. I was asked if I tried using red wool for the statue but I'm not using any sort of organic material for the statues. I'm using stones and ores only. Red wool also don't have stairs which would make some aspects of this design a bit problematic.

The design consists of the head, torso and the arms coming out of the wall to encompass a shrine and hangs over a pit of lava. It's fairly sizable and fills a good chunk of the room at 32 height, 27 width and 21 length.

Room Visual Design:

The whole area was meant to feel a bit like the depths of a volcano so I had some considerations to make. First I needed a way to show off a lot of lava in the room. I choose to make a thin bridge across the area that leads up to the shrine giving the room more massive scope beneath the player and making the whole area feel precarious and dangerous.

Second I needed to accent the centerpiece of the area, the statue and shrine. I did this with colour, distance, scale and posing. The entrance of the area is very bright with the sand pillars and lava falls and I draw attention to the center by making it darker and moody. At any fog distance setting below far you'll see the statue emerge out of the fog as you walk into the room.

Room Functional Design:

I'm making the temples so that hostile mobs don't spawn in them, with perhaps the exception of slimes. It would be irratating to have a creeper spawn and end up exploding on precious materials or breaking circuts. So you might be thinking, "Wyverii, that statue isn't well lit enough nor is that bridge", and yes, it does look very dark indeed but I am taking advantage of some little quirks.

First off, the bridge is layered with halfblocks. Mobs don't spawn on halfblocks of any kind so it's a great way to keep a room dark. Even the statue itself has halfblocks around it so that I don't have to go overboard with lighting.

Secondly, the head of the statue is lit by a combination of torches at the back and some glowstone that's sunk into the top. Using a light sensor I was able to get as good a configuration as I could possibly manage at the time (picture above isn't representive of the final lighting).

There is actually an area in the room that can spawn mobs but I've neglected to light it for two reasons. One, the player can't reach the area (if they're playing by temple rules). Two, it's right next to a drop off right into lava. So there's no need to be concerned about mobs in these nooks.

Also the whole area has a secret to it that's been carefully designed to be doable without remvoing or placing blocks. It'll be fun to see people try it someday.

There's still the rest of the temple to design but it's safe to say that the biggest and arguably the most important area is now complete and ready to build! Hopefully I'll get the rest of this sorted out soon so I can start it on the server.

The Notice Shack

At spawn, adjacent to the wool squish building, is the Notice Shack. We've had notice boards before, but the shack also allows people to make trades and donations even when the other party isn't present.

Inside, you can place a sign directly above a chest and state the items you want and have as well as the respective exchange rate, then leave the offered items in the chest. Others may check inside for tantalizing offers and trade for the entire quantity or part of it. When you're satisfied, you can take down the sign and open up the trading slot. Logblock now works on uncovered chests, so thieves can be easily caught. There is also a wall for donations, which is used very similarly, except no items are offered in exchange.

HolyChipmunk

California's finest chodesmuggler
Man I just looked through all the furniture on that site. I'm totally stealing that fishtank.

Anyway, starting work on the Groudon temple in smogcraft:

(note: this isn't built in server yet, this is purely creative mode design. The temples need to be carefully designed and tested before the build. Also I'm deliberately hiding details of the design in this shot from people so they can explore.)

The Statue:

The statue is composed of netherbrick stone/stairs, stone, iron blocks, obsidian and glowstone. Some texture packs might mess with how the netherbrick and iron looks so a texture pack that retains their colours is recommended. I was asked if I tried using red wool for the statue but I'm not using any sort of organic material for the statues. I'm using stones and ores only. Red wool also don't have stairs which would make some aspects of this design a bit problematic.

The design consists of the head, torso and the arms coming out of the wall to encompass a shrine and hangs over a pit of lava. It's fairly sizable and fills a good chunk of the room at 32 height, 27 width and 21 length.

Room Visual Design:

The whole area was meant to feel a bit like the depths of a volcano so I had some considerations to make. First I needed a way to show off a lot of lava in the room. I choose to make a thin bridge across the area that leads up to the shrine giving the room more massive scope beneath the player and making the whole area feel precarious and dangerous.

Second I needed to accent the centerpiece of the area, the statue and shrine. I did this with colour, distance, scale and posing. The entrance of the area is very bright with the sand pillars and lava falls and I draw attention to the center by making it darker and moody. At any fog distance setting below far you'll see the statue emerge out of the fog as you walk into the room.

Room Functional Design:

I'm making the temples so that hostile mobs don't spawn in them, with perhaps the exception of slimes. It would be irratating to have a creeper spawn and end up exploding on precious materials or breaking circuts. So you might be thinking, "Wyverii, that statue isn't well lit enough nor is that bridge", and yes, it does look very dark indeed but I am taking advantage of some little quirks.

First off, the bridge is layered with halfblocks. Mobs don't spawn on halfblocks of any kind so it's a great way to keep a room dark. Even the statue itself has halfblocks around it so that I don't have to go overboard with lighting.

Secondly, the head of the statue is lit by a combination of torches at the back and some glowstone that's sunk into the top. Using a light sensor I was able to get as good a configuration as I could possibly manage at the time (picture above isn't representive of the final lighting).

There is actually an area in the room that can spawn mobs but I've neglected to light it for two reasons. One, the player can't reach the area (if they're playing by temple rules). Two, it's right next to a drop off right into lava. So there's no need to be concerned about mobs in these nooks.

Also the whole area has a secret to it that's been carefully designed to be doable without remvoing or placing blocks. It'll be fun to see people try it someday.

There's still the rest of the temple to design but it's safe to say that the biggest and arguably the most important area is now complete and ready to build! Hopefully I'll get the rest of this sorted out soon so I can start it on the server.
If you need any materials for the temples, I'll be happy to donate what I have!

Just posting to say that the sheep farm is officially 100% complete. Now you can blow up the doors instead of the sheep pens!

I'm back at school, which means two things.

1) I get lag every few minutes, where I freeze and can't reply or move for a few seconds. If I blank out in a conversation, it's because of this.

2) No Smogcraft vids, since my laptop doesn't have Camtasia. Unless someone can link me a torrent of Mac-compatible Camtasia...

Glad everyone is making good use of the farm!

Hey guys, I recently jumped into minecraft and I like it a lot, so I'd like to play online for a bit; is the IP in the first post still the correct one? I ask because there's been talk about a new server somewhere on this last page.

I need to know how much it is to buy. Most importantly I need to know whether it is worth buying. For me the game seems so simple to be bought for a price. please correct me if I am wrong.

morning, everyone
i have begun the process of excavating several slime chunks just outside of spawn - specifically the ones underneath the pens with various animals (mostly black and yellow sheep, it seems.......)

shown here in red, i intend to dig out that cluster of six chunks.
anyone who wants to help with this will find a ladder down to level 35 at -176, +128.
There's actually a cave at that level (which is now entirely walled off from the slime chunks) and so my life (and the lives of those who feel so inclined to aid me) becomes marginally easier.
Feel free to contribute (though please leave the items in the chest)

morning, everyone
i have begun the process of excavating several slime chunks just outside of spawn - specifically the ones underneath the pens with various animals (mostly black and yellow sheep, it seems.......)

anyone who wants to help with this will find a ladder down to level 35 at -176, +128.
There's actually a cave at that level (which is now entirely walled off from the slime chunks) and so my life (and the lives of those who feel so inclined to aid me) becomes marginally easier.
I will help I need a ton of stone, cobble, and stone bricks.

Just sayin'

also if you insist on building ugly big stuff ... don't do it at spawn. ¨*ugh*¨

it would suck if lightning were to strike it....

Dumbish question, but how did you find those slime chunks? Definitely need a few for some sticky pistons...
http://mcslimes.appspot.com/

level seed = -529216013

Hey guys, I recently jumped into minecraft and I like it a lot, so I'd like to play online for a bit; is the IP in the first post still the correct one? I ask because there's been talk about a new server somewhere on this last page.
PM forks,layell,xaqwais or me with your MC user name and one of us will add it to the whitelist.
server ip = 176.31.153.57 :)

morning, everyone

I'd like to strongly advise against this. I have already found a section with 5 adjacent slime chunks, with a 6th chunk diagonal to the group. That will make a much more efficient farm than several spread out ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)