Moody

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also switch in and out continously if you build your team to allow this eg/ have Scizor who can allow a free switch for smeargle with his slow U-Turn, use Dual screeners to give the Inconsistent Pokemon an easier time, and use things like Blissey and Skarmory that can sponge hits aimed at Smeargle.

Meh, if Acupressure doesn't get a ban, then I don't see why this should either.

Another counter I can think of is MH Psych Up, such as with Sableye.
Because this activates on the switch in and doesn't take up a turn to use. Come in, Protect, Sub if you get a speed/evasion boost, switch out if you don't. Rinse and repeat.

And if you seriously suggest using Psych Up Sableye to deal with Octillery, well, *something* sounds wrong there.

I think you're all paniking over whether or not it's broken, regardless of whether or not it is a luck based argument.

1/7 is not significant enough to warrant consisent, easy wins. It's overall more detrimental to the team to have a quirky handicap like this.

And it's not 1/7. Because 2/7 of that 1/7 will have defense drops, and the others will have speed, accuracy or attack drops. Good luck stalling against the offensive metagame with 5/49 odds of getting off a boost that only makes you 33% likely to miss a move. No, I'm fine with running a team that works without luck, and gives good consisent and satisfying wins.

And that's even forgetting the counters, such as perfect accuracy and haze, clear smog etc. Inconsistent isn't obviously broken by any means.

Furthermore, consider the pokemon that learn it. None are at all defensive and they are all relatively "slow". Perhaps there is a certain argument of UU, but I see no problem in OU.

The amount of people that can't see the problem with Inconsistent is staggering. No, chances are that by using an Inconsistent team you won't reach the top of the ladder and sweep every team you play (although with proper team support it can be difficult to stop) but its the fact that it turns the game into more luck based than skill based. Similarly someone using evasion boosting moves might not win every game but he will cause undeserved losses to other players just by changing the game to a more luck based format. The problem people are having is that they don't want to play in a metagame where unless you run very specific and otherwise useless counters, you risk being swept by a Smeargle/Octillery/Glalie/Bibarel.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Perhaps we should ban Acupressure too, then. I'd guess the only reason it was never tested was because nobody uses it because it sucks. Inconsistent doesn't suck, so there is reason to test it.

No acupressure doesn't warrant a ban at all, yes it can make the game slightly more luck based but never to the degree that it will allow poor players to beat good players, due to the fact that it is a move that has to be used so you can't stall for boosts with Protect the way that Inconsistent can. As the logs through this thread and all the related threads have shown, using virtually no real strategy beyond spamming protect and sub Inconsistent teams can gain a hax win costing the better player the win. If anyone can provide logs of accupressure doing the same then I'd be happy to admit that it warrants a ban but until that happens Acupressure should not be discussed as a bannable suspect.

I think you're all paniking over whether or not it's broken, regardless of whether or not it is a luck based argument.

1/7 is not significant enough to warrant consisent, easy wins. It's overall more detrimental to the team to have a quirky handicap like this.

And it's not 1/7. Because 2/7 of that 1/7 will have defense drops, and the others will have speed, accuracy or attack drops. Good luck stalling against the offensive metagame with 5/49 odds of getting off a boost that only makes you 33% likely to miss a move. No, I'm fine with running a team that works without luck, and gives good consisent and satisfying wins.
Just FYI, if you're stalling with just Substitute for 4 turns in a row, you have 1-(6/7)^4= 46% of evasion boost kicking in.

If you're doing: switch in after KO + outspeed Sub + Protect + switch out a total of 4 times, you have 1-(6/7)^8 = 71% of an evasion boost kicking in somewhere along the way.

If you have: switch in after KO + Protect + outspeed Sub + Protect + switch out, you have a 1 - (6/7)^12 = 84% of getting evasion.

If you only have Protect and low speed, and go: switch in after KO + Protect + switch out, you still have 1-(6/7)^5 = 53% before you run out of pokemon.

These assume you (and your substitute) die the moment the opponent actually touches you. Also, note that the chances of getting either a defense/sp defense boost is even more likely.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If you're planning on following the suit of the last three posters and saying 'hey you guys, Inconsistent isn't that good' then at least try to do what they didn't and explain why that is the case. Because I have enough threats to counter without having to squeeze Perish Song into my team to make sure I don't get steamrolled by a Pokemon that takes absolutely no skill to lose and can allow even a terrible player to beat a good player.

If you're planning on following the suit of the last three posters and saying 'hey you guys, Inconsistent isn't that good' then at least try to do what they didn't and explain why that is the case. Because I have enough threats to counter without having to squeeze Perish Song into my team to make sure I don't get steamrolled by a Pokemon that takes absolutely no skill to lose and can allow even a terrible player to beat a good player.
^this. Its the fact that although Inconsistent doesn't always cause a win it can generate undeserved losses in a similar way to Evasion, theres a reason these things are banned and its because as a competitive community we want the game to be about skill and that the better player, who has built a better team should win. It will be a joke if this thing doesn't get banned. And if you really don't think its that bad look at the numerous logs posted throughout various threads.

The ability doesn't sound so inherently "broken" as it does just "randomly broken." As in, hey, you might get a lucky draw and sweep the opponent's team with +6 Attack, or you might get a butts draw and be stuck with +3 SpDef and -2 Atk on Glailie. At that point you'll have to switch out, and then in preparation for such a scenario, you'll have to pack a wish carrier just to take care of your Inconsistent user and keep it alive while it attempts to get a lucky setup. Then, because Inconsistent users have lower defenses, you need to have a dedicated wall to come in and sponge hits, possibly multiple times, just for the user to set up… And at that point it just becomes a liability.

Of course, I could be wrong. This is all just me hypothesizing. I guess it falls in line with Evasion's "random brokeness" or whatever you want to call it though.

There are actually a lot of threats that Perish Song is perfect for, besides these guys. Roobushin, Crocune, Rankurusu, Manaphy, and this bunch are easier to beat with Perish Song than straight up attacking. I'm not saying you should have to rely on it, but Perish Song is a very reasonable move to fit onto teams. Notable users are Politoed, Celebi, Murkrow (priority), Lapras, Mismagius (or Evo Stone Misdreavus), and Altaria. Out of these the best are Politoed, Celebi, Evo stone Murkrow, and Evo Stone Misdreavus, imo.

^this. Its the fact that although Inconsistent doesn't always cause a win it can generate undeserved losses in a similar way to Evasion, theres a reason these things are banned and its because as a competitive community we want the game to be about skill and that the better player, who has built a better team should win. It will be a joke if this thing doesn't get banned. And if you really don't think its that bad look at the numerous logs posted throughout various threads.
ok, this makes more sense. but its also luck based for the player using Inconsistent(you are right, it takes NO skill at all) if they get accuracy boosts the whole time they cant do anything lol. imo there are too many things in gen 5 that can play around it. If you want to ban it because of the possiblilty of getting an evasion boost go ahead. its unfair for any pokemon to be able to abuse the evasion clause. But i wouldn't consider Inconsistent "broken"

there

Tbh for virtually every threat you listed there phasing them is going to be far better than waiting three turns and allowing them three more turns with boosted stats to rip through your team. And its not feasible to fit Perish Song/Haze on every team. When a single threat becomes so bad that people are considering Evo Stone Murkrow to use Perish Song and this same threat takes absolutely no skill to use, you know that there is a real problem.

ok, this makes more sense. but its also luck based for the player using Inconsistent(you are right, it takes NO skill at all) if they get accuracy boosts the whole time they cant do anything lol. imo there are too many things in gen 5 that can play around it. If you want to ban it because of the possiblilty of getting an evasion boost go ahead. its unfair for any pokemon to be able to abuse the evasion clause. But i wouldn't consider Inconsistent "broken"

there
It doesn't matter what boosts they get with Dual Screen/Wobbuffet support they can easily set up a sub, and once an inconsistent pokemon has a sub up you'd better hope you have haze/Perish Song or your just not beating it. By simply using Protect and Substitute, you will eventually get an evasion boost. There are other ways to do this other than just Wobbuffet and Dual Screens, you can use Escape Button + Befriend Aianto or using a slow pokemon with U-turn to allow for an extra boost.

This ability is broken. Free boosts every turn sharply? Relying on this much luck is never good for anyone because some people are EXTREMELY lucky and computer simulations have a bad habit of screwing with you at the randomest or critical moments. If this isn't broken, nothing is. Does anyone have any idea what is broken if things like this are allowed? Just because it exists does not mean it needs to be used, hence the reasons for Soul Dew clause, Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, etc. Even Nintendo knows those are broken and implement those rules and banning the ubers. It just isn't fun.

This is like Chimeratech Overdragon in its hayday of Yugioh, BROKEN. Like Emperor Dragon. BROKEN. It became who got those out first.

It doesn't matter what boosts they get with Dual Screen/Wobbuffet support they can easily set up a sub, and once an inconsistent pokemon has a sub up you'd better hope you have haze/Perish Song or your just not beating it. By simply using Protect and Substitute, you will eventually get an evasion boost. There are other ways to do this other than just Wobbuffet and Dual Screens, you can use Escape Button + Befriend Aianto or using a slow pokemon with U-turn to allow for an extra boost.
cant you just Roar/Whirlwind/Dragon Tail it out? Sure it will be back later, but you can stop a possible team sweep for the moment.

Just FYI, if you're stalling with just Substitute for 4 turns in a row, you have 1-(6/7)^4= 46% of evasion boost kicking in.

If you're doing: switch in after KO + outspeed Sub + Protect + switch out a total of 4 times, you have 1-(6/7)^8 = 71% of an evasion boost kicking in somewhere along the way.

If you have: switch in after KO + Protect + outspeed Sub + Protect + switch out, you have a 1 - (6/7)^12 = 84% of getting evasion.

If you only have Protect and low speed, and go: switch in after KO + Protect + switch out, you still have 1-(6/7)^5 = 53% before you run out of pokemon.

These assume you (and your substitute) die the moment the opponent actually touches you. Also, note that the chances of getting either a defense/sp defense boost is even more likely.
Also note that you haven't taken into account the possibility of drops. Your first calculation, for example, is just the probability that you get at least one boost in four turns. It does not mean you have a 46% chance of having evasion > 0 at the end of those four turns, as you could get some evasion drops, too. It's entirely possible that you get one boost and three drops, leaving you at -1 evasion after four turns. The actual probability of having evasion > 0 at the end of four turns will likely be lower than 46%.

It's also somewhat tricky because once you get +6 you can't get another boost, so that slightly affects the calculation somewhat, but probably not so much that 46% is too far off from at least one boost in four turns.

cant you just Roar/Whirlwind/Dragon Tail it out? Sure it will be back later, but you can stop a possible team sweep for the moment.
Yeh I suppose that might work, but even then these moves can miss if evasion rises and Dragon Tail won't phase through a substitute. And although no Incosistent pokemon at the moment get it when smeargle is released with Inconsistent it can always just Baton Pass to a Magic Mirror pokemon- preferably Espeon who can Baton Pass back or to another counter if need be.

Yeh I suppose that might work, but even then these moves can miss if evasion rises and Dragon Tail won't phase through a substitute. And although no Incosistent pokemon at the moment get it when smeargle is released with Inconsistent it can always just Baton Pass to a Magic Mirror pokemon- preferably Espeon who can Baton Pass back or to another counter if need be.
yeah smeargle would be crazy. if its being abused like that it would get my vote for a ban. thats ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)