More Thoughts on Stealth Rock

Do you support the testing of a Stealth Rockless metagame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumpman16 said:
the difference between the two is semantic as best, and anything that we have, had, and will have considered will be so considered in the "interests of a better competitive metagame" and nothing else
OK let me just start off by saying that, assuming that by "broken" we mean "far too powerful to be in line with a balanced metagame," which is, again, copied verbatim from the article you just told me a few days ago to read, then this argument might as well just end right here. I am not seeing how that definition of "broken" and "anything in the interests of a better competitive metagame" could ever not be considered distinctly different, so unless you're saying that the philosophy is wrong (or just "doesn't address move bans" which I personally think is a cop-out) you can just stop trying to convince me right now that there is any real consistency between the two and I won't waste any more time

Jumpman16 said:
you are wrong about why "we" banned DT and OHKOes back then. i have tried to subtly hint that i was playing competitively in 2000 and therefore know what i am talking about, but the subtlety seems to be lost on you so i will be blunt: i was playing competitively in 2000 and therefore know what i am talking about. dt and ohkos were banned because they were broken, not because they were annoying.
I completely and openly acknowledged that DT and OHKOs were banned because they were broken, and in fact emphasized it as a part of my argument.
Jumpman16 said:
and the key word there is "were"—today, dt and ohkos are under consideration not because they are possibly less annoying, but because they may not be broken in platinum's metagame.
yes I know
you reference magmortar...are you serious? skiddle himself will be the first to admit that his thread was an utter failure in actually revealing magmortar to be a mixed sweeper and not in actuality a wall breaker. the people that were or are "convinced that Magmortar is an amazing mixed sweeper" are the exact same people who are not going to have any say in the adminstration of these processes until they learn what competitive pokemon is actually all about, like i have, which is the reason you shouldn't be worried.
to be clear, I wasn't trying to "blame" skiddle for anything and it was just a readily available example.
and finally, you're attempting to tie these three points (calmcune, trick and magmortar) back to the Stealth Rock issue, which does not apply because those three were or are all preemtively judged in mere weeks (or days regarding magmortar) as being stronger than they really are in practice, whereas SR has been used in practice in the metagame for almost 1Enter text here.½ years now and we are therefore going on a wealth of information
ok.
this is why the suspect test process has three stages, and, further, why we would consider testing SR now, in a metagame with as few stage one or two suspects as possible after skymin is decided on, so we would be testing it as the lone suspect (if skymin is voted ou it is therefore no longer a suspect until stage three), as we do with all the suspects
ok, makes sense to me

again, I think there is no justification for making Stealth Rock a suspect because I'm still "fixated" on the idea that we should only ban broken things (so "option #1" according to Serene Grace's most recent PR posts I guess)

I suppose the rest of my concerns are unfounded/will be handled though so thanks for clearing those up.

As a sidenote a CBand Scared Fire on Ho-oh, (not Smeargle ... Joke!) does 25% damage to a Kyogre in the rain... No burn status inflicted when I used it.

So if removing Rain will double Sacred Fires Damage, Ho-oh can effectively 2hko Kyogre w/o Leftovers, or 2hko Kyogre (with Burn) with Leftovers. Additionally in the Sunlight (Groudon dies with Sunlight intact and Ho-oh comes in right after), CB Ho-oh's Scared Fire does 75% to a Kyogre.

That is pretty impressive on something that resists it. So I guess Ho-oh's usage will rise... But I just wanted to make sure people knew that.

Hmm looking back in this thread some people seem a bit concerned about how much this will drastically "change the metagame", but hey we('re) adjusted(ing) to Platinum, right?

As someone who really doesn't use SR I find that Skymin, Salmanece, etc. are not much of a problem if you build your team appropriately to combat them (Scarf Jirachi, Zapdos, etc.).

I know this whole proposal seems to be a messy debate, but I highly suggest people think with an open mind before jumping to either side. People thought Skymin would be utterly broken when it was first introduced, but it seems some of their opinions have waviered. Sometimes you don't know until you have tested or are testing it, right?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And Without Garchomp and Deoxys-S, the game has changed a lot. How is that different from those cases?
Simple. These Pokémon weren't broken just because they had a massive influence on the game. That's horrible logic there. A (Pokémon) is B (a big influence), A is C (broken), D (Stealth Rock) is B does NOT mean D is C.

Simple. These Pokémon weren't broken just because they had a massive influence on the game. That's horrible logic there. A (Pokémon) is B (a big influence), A is C (broken), D (Stealth Rock) is B does NOT mean D is C.
Quoting. Wobbuffet did not have a massive impact on the metagame, but it was still broken. Blissey is maybe the most powerful influence on OU, but it is far from being broken.

I don't think that point really makes much sense...

We rarely ever ban any moves from pokémon and since this is such a unique move it is difficult to try to take a precedent in comparison. Banning pokémon and moves are two different things, as this move affects every metagame.

With that said it is obviously a large influence on the metagame and I think only a test could really prove if it is indeed broken or not.

Stealth Rock obviously has a large impact on the metagame, restricting the usage of Pokémon such as Moltres and Vespiquen.
However, imagine a metagame without the Rocks in it. Pokémon like Gyarados and Salamence would be running rampant all over the place and Focus Sashers would be setting up and sweeping like madmen.

If one really fears Stealth Rock that much, just kill off their spiker and carry a Spinner.. I don't even think a SR-less metagame is worth testing!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With that said it is obviously a large influence on the metagame and I think only a test could really prove if it is indeed broken or not.
How will the test show this? I'm specifically wondering what "result" in terms of data will convince me or you that it is broken or not.

How will the test show this? I'm specifically wondering what "result" in terms of data will convince me or you that it is broken or not.
The whole point of the suspect tests is to determine what makes the "best" and "healthiest" metagame. There is no way to determine if the Metagame will be better or worse without Stealth Rock, UNTIL WE TEST IT. And even then, it is objective, which is why we have a vote done by the better battlers. They are best equipped at judging which is better and shaping the future of the 4th generation.

I voted yes. I don't mind a testing of Stealth Rock.

Using Stealth Rock in Pokémon is like planting the bomb in Counter-Strike; it won't win you the game, but it'll make it so much easier for you.

The reason Spinners aren't as useful in D/P comes only partially from Ghost-types. It just requires time. A lot of strategies don't HAVE time to fool around. Some have to act quickly upon threats or be punished for trying. And by the way: have you ever thought of using Pursuit-users to beat those pesky Ghost-types? I remember that Weavile still has Pursuit and is perfectly capable of using it. Same with Scizor, Heracross, Metagross, and Tyranitar.
Unfortunately that is not the only reason why Spinners are rather useless; only 15 Pokémon in the game learn Rapid Spin (16 with Smeargle). Out of these Delibird takes ½ HP and Torkoal ¼, and they’re not very viable in general in metagames. In the other cases it can be so that Rapid Spin isn’t the first thing to prioritize on that specific Pokémon. So the numbers of Pokémon Rapid Spin is justified on are few in numbers so they become obvious when they’re about to use Rapid Spin, and that leaves the opponent a spot to switch in a ghost Pokémon to counter this. SR on the other can be used be a staggering amount of Pokémon: 63 (64 with Smeargle). And although it can be predicted, there’s nothing that can be done about it to prevent it from happening. Well the exception is taunt, but that requires you to be faster than your opponent and having the Pokémon with taunt in play.

Another thing is that if the opponent does not have SR, Rapid Spin is with no doubt a complete waste. SR on the other hand is never useless, it will always inflict damage and constrict the opponent’s ability to switch. Also, even with Rapid Spin in play, it needs to be switched in. With SR in play it has to inhibitors: first of all the damage taken from SR and secondly the opposing Pokémon might not be a opportune opponent to switch in on. In addition to this most Spinners are rather slow, with the exception of a possible Tentacruel, so if they switch in on an unfortunate opponent they won’t even strike first. So in order to play the spinner a player might have to wait, taking huge amounts of damage while waiting for an opportunity. I thin Glen summarized this pretty well by stating “It's broken because there's absolutely no risk into using SR, and the reward is too high.”

So SR’s power does not only lie in the lack of Spinners, but also the ability to counter spinners, the lack of being able to prevent it and the amount of Pokémon that can learn it. It is possible to counter it but it becomes rather situational as opposed to how freely SR can be used.

Stall teams lose a good chunk of use without Stealth Rock. This is why I'd argue that it CAN create a "balance" for teams. Do you know how hard it is to handle Life Orbed Salamence? How about Life Orb Gyarados? Celebi is 2HKOed by Ice Fang after a Dragon Dance. That's scary folks. And Waterfall still 2HKOes Skarmory for the most part. By removing Stealth Rock, you have EASILY opened a new door, and not a good one in my opinion. You've allowed hyper-offense to be very easy.
You also open up to extremely defensive playing. If one lacks SR it can easily lead to a SR/Skarbliss combo or any combo at all where one can simply start switching between two walls if the opponent lacks mix sweepers. In the case of Skarbliss the opponent doesn’t even have to switch with whirlwind in play. In addition to this, SR does not necessarily inhibit offensive playing; if one side is free to switch but the other is not the one without SR can freely switch in any Pokémon without the opposing side being able to switch in a counter with equal ease.

It feels as if the counter-argument it; just because something is barely able to counter, does it make over-powered? And I believe the answer to that is: yes, yes it does. Because it’s barely able to counter, I think the answer is given in the very same statement. For stat-raisers we were given haze, first-hitters and focus sashes.

Removing SR from the game also has other pleasant consequences, such as opening up UU/BL Pokémon more so. These Pokémon pretty much need any HP they can get and removing them could open up the game for them as well, examples are Butterfree and Scyther who with SR in play are basically useless if they are not leads. Even if they are leads they cannot really counter SR anyway.

lol the fact that sr is overwhelmingly beneficial makes it ban worthy? not unlike that annoying recover move!
I believe you actually can regret using recovery moves. Most Pokémon that have recovery are tanks and also have some sort of disabling move. If the opposing Pokémon has a stat-raising move, you can very well regret using a recovery move instead of a disabling one.

The same could be said of Trick. Just look at Darknessmalice, seems like he agrees that Trick could conceivably be worthy of a Suspect Test!
You could; there are some switches that, although stated as rare, may occur, but also if you can anticipate the trick, you can switch in a Pokémon that is unaffected or benefits from it. The possibilities of countering trick and using trick in a manner that is disadvantageous to you are far greater than using SR, which has the disadvantage use zero.

What's the big deal with SR? If you use it, it comes with the loss of tempo. You are not attacking, or switching. You're using a move that does absolutley nothing to the opposing pokemon. Suicide Leads are like running 5 pokemon and Stealth Rocks, you just gimp yourself and your team IMHO. Some people run bulky pokes with SR, if they don't lead off with it. This is just a free switch for your opponent, or a lucky KO. It's easy to punish SR users. I run a Scarf Roserade lead, so not many leads get to use SR with the exception of those that carry Lum Berry (Sup, Bronzong?) Switch in Azelf on your opponents Swampert. So what, he got SR up! Congratulations. Azelf just got a free switch in.
… well. It’s not about whether or not it is doing something at that very time, that’s not even what SR is about. It’s about the effects that it carries with it. I feel like I shouldn’t even have to say this. You’re presenting SR as something harmless when clearly it is not. ½ hp from a Pokémon by simply entering a battles is not “doing absolutely nothing to the opposing Pokémon”. You could argue that a lot of moves are useless if you’re not ‘attacking/switching’. Wish is useless, rest is useless. How about Dragon Dance? Or Sword’s Dance? Or Substitute? You’re not actually doing anything to the opposing Pokémon, and they’re basically giving you a free switch.

Translation: The game is mean and won't let me use what Pokemon I want. BAWWWWWWWWW.
Translation: My entire team depends on SR. BAWWWWW.

We can adjust, I just don't think we should force ourselves to do something that isn't necessary. Stealth Rock isn't broken, it is just common. Being good is not ban worthy, being broken is, and there has yet to be any evidence provided that would suggest that SR is broken. It does 50% to Moltres!!! Well, so does Surf.
Surf is an active move. SR plucks off 50% of Moltres simply entering battle. If SR only hit one time I could’ve agreed with you.

As for my own opinion, I think stating that SR being powerful is unavoidable. Firstly you have a constant damage output on the opponent’s team at the cost of one move-turn. This can only be avoided through Taunt, which isn’t that much of a threat seeing as a SR can simply switch out and make a better opportunity. The other counter is Rapid Spin which can be countered by Ghost types and the other liability with it that it can’t be switched in at any given time. Surely this can applied to spikes as well, but for regular spikes you need several move turns to accomplish something nearly as effective as SR and in addition to this, Pokémon also be immune to these spikes. Same goes for Toxic Spikes. SR on the other hand damages all Pokémon regardless of type and can consume as much as ½ of the opponent’s HP.

Secondly it creates a typing benefit, prohibiting types to enter the field. If SR is out and you have a Pokémon out that is weak to ground moves and no levitating Pokémon, you are left with a decision whether you want this Pokémon to take a hit or the other Pokémon to take ½ or ¼ of its HP. I think it’s unfortunate that SR adds a side of Pokémon where well anticipated switches are punished, something that I otherwise felt Pokémon excelled in as opposed to other games, but that is a sentimental note. The fact is that SR constricts proper switching and using type advantages/disadvantages. In a sense it becomes type biased since Flying’s immunity to ground is compensated to ground by causing damage anyway.

I wouldn’t mind SR so much if it wasn’t for it huge damage output it causes.

So people want a game without SR just for changes? i think its stupid, i mean its not really going to create diversity all its gonna do is start a trend with SR weak pokes and then go down after a while. i dont think anyone wants to use an SR weak poke even without SR because they still have a crappy weakness
and plus rapid spin is always an option and so is taunt. people argue it will limit their team but those kind of people are jackasses that wont everything spoon fed to them. you dont like SR? dont use SR weak pokes. SR is great, it defeats stall wars involving switching and makes KOing easy i mean do you really think moltres will get popular? he was BL last generation and will probably stay that way this generation becasue of a 4x weakness to rock, and weak to electric and water. honestly the only poke i can think of getting popular is yanmega.

and to the person who thought Ho-oh could possibly be OU go eat a bag full of baby dicks. seriously that thing is hella uber even with a 4x rock weakness :/

edit: no offense to the guy who thought ho-oh could be OU im just fed up with idiots thinking SR is "uber" or sumthing or needs testing.

if this community even tests stealth rock, ill lose all respect for it as a serious competitive community. at that point you may as well just go ahead and make a full on mod of pokemon and play that, instead of calling it diamond/pearl/platinum.

even if its the best and most influential move in the game, that doesnt mean it should be tested. i mean what the heck will you test for anyway? we already know its powerful, we already know it cripples many pokemon... and so what? thats the point of a strategic game, to figure out how to win, what works, what doesnt, and use it to your advantage.

may be it's because it makes all those Flying/Fire/Ice types auto bad because it's SR weak and anything SR resist is good? There is only a handful of Spinners, but they are not as good as you think, they are mostly frail as crap and have better things to do then to waste a moveslot and a slot in your party.

I tried Starmie, even Bulky have problems taking hits.
I tried Donphan, it's too hard to switch in.
I tried Tentacruel, it's even harder to switch in.
I tried Forretress, it's too much of a liablity when the best it can do other than spinning is to either blow up, or set up spikes of his own.

I mean, when is the last time you saw either of these and didn't consider that they have spin? Never.

Salamence and Gyarados is frail enough to scare off/ die anyways, Stealth Rock just... makes it easier.

So people want a game without SR just for changes? i think its stupid, i mean its not really going to create diversity all its gonna do is start a trend with SR weak pokes and then go down after a while. i dont think anyone wants to use an SR weak poke even without SR because they still have a crappy weakness
and plus rapid spin is always an option and so is taunt. people argue it will limit their team but those kind of people are jackasses that wont everything spoon fed to them. you dont like SR? dont use SR weak pokes. SR is great, it defeats stall wars involving switching and makes KOing easy i mean do you really think moltres will get popular? he was BL last generation and will probably stay that way this generation becasue of a 4x weakness to rock, and weak to electric and water. honestly the only poke i can think of getting popular is yanmega.

and to the person who thought Ho-oh could possibly be OU go eat a bag full of baby dicks. seriously that thing is hella uber even with a 4x rock weakness :/

edit: no offense to the guy who thought ho-oh could be OU im just fed up with idiots thinking SR is "uber" or sumthing or needs testing.
Rock weakness is no more a crappy weakness than Ground or Water. Ttar, Heatran, and Lucario all have weaknesses to very common types, but not Rock type. They get used. Moltres, who has a comparable BST and weakness set, as well as a very nice resistance set, is almost never used. And Moltres last Gen was a completely different story. It had no special Flying STAB, and did not have a reliable recovery move in Roost. The only non-fire special move it had back then was Hidden Power.

We've already been over in long detail why Rapid Spinning is a futile effort. The Rotom formes can come in on any Rapid spinner with nigh impunity to block the spin. Switching in a pursuiter just gets it WoWed. Taunt is even less reliable, as all they have to do is bring their SRer in on something it can force out and SR on the switch. Further, Aerodactyl can pretty much only be Taunted through a speed tie.

and so what? thats the point of a strategic game, to figure out how to win, what works, what doesnt, and use it to your advantage.
Then why do we ban anything? We should make Ubers the standard metagame by this argument. Sure, everyone will be using Kyogre, Rayquaza, and Arceus on every team, but that's what works, so no reason to ban them.

Clear said:
may be it's because it makes all those Flying/Fire/Ice types auto bad because it's SR weak and anything SR resist is good? There is only a handful of Spinners, but they are not as good as you think, they are mostly frail as crap and have better things to do then to waste a moveslot and a slot in your party.

I tried Starmie, even Bulky have problems taking hits.
I tried Donphan, it's too hard to switch in.
I tried Tentacruel, it's even harder to switch in.
I tried Forretress, it's too much of a liablity when the best it can do other than spinning is to either blow up, or set up spikes of his own.

I mean, when is the last time you saw either of these and didn't consider that they have spin? Never.

Salamence and Gyarados is frail enough to scare off/ die anyways, Stealth Rock just... makes it easier.
How is it not obvious from SirHandsome, and most anti-SR test people's posts, that we know what Stealth Rock does? It hurts pokemon. Some more than others. Some to the point where they are no longer viable in OU. The question is: "so?"

Your "arguments" have been repeated time and time again, and I put that in quotations because they're not even really arguments rather than simple statements of fact. Everyone knows that Moltres takes 50% damage when it switches into Stealth Rock. You need to explain why that matters because I'm pretty sure there are like a couple hundred other useless pokemon who'd all love to know what makes Moltres so special.

SR does more to Gyarados and Salamence than damage. It keeps them from playing it safe. Once they come into play, they are immediately at 75% health. If they are forced out, next time they come in they will be at 50%. Each switch makes them less and less able to do their job. Players of these Pokemon have to use great care as to when they send them out, because if they make a mispredict they may not even be able to switch them back in. This enourages an all-in sort of attitude at times with these Pokemon. If they come in and DD, only to be faced by something that can potentially take them on, there is much more pressure on them to stay in because of the threat of residual damage making them useless. They are more likely to take the plunge and attack. Without SR, there is no cost to them switching around. They can set up at will, scout their counters, and come back in perfectly healthy later. Free switching is the greatest gift you can give these Pokemon, and SR keeps them in check.

By the way, you do know that there are more spinners than just Tentacruel, Starmie, Forry and Donphan. UU pokemon aren't as bad in OU play as you might think.

By the way, you do know that there are more spinners than just Tentacruel, Starmie, Forry and Donphan. UU pokemon aren't as bad in OU play as you might think.
Armaldo--Is weak to SR with no 50% recovery move. If you're going to be spinning, you're probably not running a sweeping set, so the defensive ghosts can take your Stone Edges/Rock Blasts/w/e, and threaten to cripple you with burn.

Blastoise--Can Foresight ghosts that come in, but now you're down two slots just for this. Can Mirror Coat Rotom's Tbolts, I suppose. No recovery move ouside of rest hurts.

Claydol--Levitate and SR resist is nice, but weakness to Ghost and Dark is not

Cloyster--Can't do anything to Rotom and is forced out by it.

Delibird--...yeah

Hitmontop--Can switch in OK, but is walled by ghosts anyways. (same goes for other hitmons)

Kabutops--is basically Armaldo with more speed, less defenses.

Sandslash--Not a whole lot it can do to Ghosts, and Wash and Cut Rotom threaten with powerful SE hits.

Torkoal--Weak to SR, no reliable recovery, forced out by Wash Rotom.

Basically, either you have the stats to threaten the ghosts, in which case you have to predict them coming in to work properly, or you don't and the Ghosts just own you.

Hitmontop--Can switch in OK, but is walled by ghosts anyways. (same goes for other hitmons)
Hitmontop isn't walled by Ghosts, it has Sucker Punch and Tech Pursuit. Also why mention Foresight on Blastoise but not Hitmontop? Still gimmicky, but at least Hitmontop has a use for it besides Rapid Spin.

Hitmontop isn't walled by Ghosts, it has Sucker Punch and Tech Pursuit. Also why mention Foresight on Blastoise but not Hitmontop? Still gimmicky, but at least Hitmontop has a use for it besides Rapid Spin.
I sort of forgot 'top gets Foresight. Sucker Punch won't save you from a WoW, though, and an unSTAB 60 base power move isn't exactly intimidating even when SE.

surprised this hasnt been posted yet. rock is the #5, and #6 best attacking type in this metagame, despite sr's prevalence supporting rock resists.
to me this dashes any "overcentralization" arguments to shreds.

SR does more to Gyarados and Salamence than damage. It keeps them from playing it safe. Once they come into play, they are immediately at 75% health. If they are forced out, next time they come in they will be at 50%. Each switch makes them less and less able to do their job. Players of these Pokemon have to use great care as to when they send them out, because if they make a mispredict they may not even be able to switch them back in. This enourages an all-in sort of attitude at times with these Pokemon. If they come in and DD, only to be faced by something that can potentially take them on, there is much more pressure on them to stay in because of the threat of residual damage making them useless. They are more likely to take the plunge and attack. Without SR, there is no cost to them switching around. They can set up at will, scout their counters, and come back in perfectly healthy later. Free switching is the greatest gift you can give these Pokemon, and SR keeps them in check.
I think you have the best point against a test out of this entire thread. When I usualy take on an Outraging Salamence I usually have a revenge killer ready to take it on in the event of it killing something.

Gyarados isn't too much of an issue as a number of bulky waters give it trouble.

Although when you close a door a new one opens up and things like Choice Scarf Areodactyl suddenly become viable. Plus with so many Trickers out there they have to worry about getting an item they don't want. Although you will be able to switch out as freely to a potential counter as fast as Mence or Gyara can get out of there.

gorm said:
How does it stop overcentralization arguments?

That graph is based on the usage of pokemon and their comparative weakness, resistance, and defensive stats (physical vs special), hitting them all with various attacks with the same base power.

If Stealth Rock forced all the rock-weak pokemon out of OU, Rock would not be anywhere near as useful a type. There is one thing, though:

Rock super-effects the following types: Flying, Fire, Ice, Bug. These are all major offensive types. Rock is resisted by Fighting, Ground, and Steel; two typically defensive types and one little-seen type in OU.

The fact is, OU is a very small metagame, if that graph is weighted by the usage of the pokemon; OU is about 10 pokemon, by realistic standards. Many of these are weak to stealth rock simply by virtue of their incredible power. Salamence, Gyarados, and Skymin come to mind.

I don't think we need to test Stealth Rock in this metagame, because there is no reason to. This metagame is ALREADY completely broken, and centralized around a short list of amazingly powerful things. If you want to keep playing that, go for it...can we go spend our development efforts on something better, then?

I don't think that Stealth Rock needs to be tested as I think it makes for a more "balanced" metagame keeping some major pokemon in check (those that are weak to SR,Salamence,Zapdos,etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)