Nickname discussion

It's unfortunate that you can't nickname events, otherwise I would SO rename the shiny yveltal I got "makin' bacon".

I had a garchomp someone told me to nickname #KONY2013. Everytime I sent it out, other people would laugh. I didn't get it until I looked it up.

I'm going to San Francisco in August to watch Worlds and compete in the side events, so I want to breed a bunch competitive Pokemon to use in battles. Which, of course, means that the most important aspect of a Pokemon is its nickname!

Staraptor: In honour of the recently named UK research vessel, I named this fearsom predator of the skies "Birdy McBirdface". Or I would have liked to, except that the character limit didn't allow it, so I had to settle for "Birdy McBird".

Luxray: A noble lion deserves a noble name: "Lux Aeterna".
Don't know how to break it to you, but the stuffy Brits renamed your Boaty McBoatface!

Another case of the will of the people being ignored...

Last edited:
Don't know how to break it to you, but the stuffy Brits renamed your Boaty McBoatface!

Another case of the will of the people being ignored...
Not entirely! Apparently one of the ship's underwater vehicles is being named "Boaty McBoatface".

I had a garchomp someone told me to nickname #KONY2013. Everytime I sent it out, other people would laugh. I didn't get it until I looked it up.
It's a reference to how Garchomp was everywhere in VGC 2014 and then nonexistent in 15/16, right?

Reactions: JES
Well, I might as well be the first to have a nickname for a Generation VII Pokémon:
If my Rowlet is female, I will name her Minerva. This will be a double reference, as the owl is the symbol for the Roman Goddess Minerva and I get to name something after one of my favorite Harry Potter characters, Minerva McGonagall. That and I really like the name.
If my Rowlet is male, I will name him Matt. Why? Well, Rowlet does have a bow-tie, and bow-ties are cool.
EDIT: If I want to be more blatant with the male nickname, I could just go for Doctor Who.
Also, I saw another great nickname for Rowlet: Hedgewig.

Last edited:
XY's trainer nickname feature has some interesting potential. Like I named my character Valjean and had Shauna, Tierno, and company nickname him "24601."

It made running around Poke-France take on a VERY different context.

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
EDIT 2 (Will someone please come up with another nickname so I can stop editing this post to add to this topic?):
I am planning on doing a mono-mon run soon using a Magikarp that I will name Mr. Fish. Why? I saw this and it was magical:

(Comic)
Yep, that's my go to Magikarp name.

I just hatched a Shiny Torchic! and it had Blaze... KFailC... After remembering that the Mega also has Speed Boost, I renamed him to KFKA. Kentucky Fried Kick***! I deserve to be fried by my unoriginal puns... Kentucky style.

I also have a Boomburst Swellow named Boomstick, a Gogoat named Simulator in reference to one of the best games of all time, and a Heatran named after a Youtuber that has a Lava Bucket as his signature weapon. (Anyone who likes this post has serious issues.)

I'm trying to come up with nicknames for the other Alola starters:
Litten - The best I have is a pun: Hell Kitty. Get it? Instead of Hello Kitty, it's Hell Kitty? Because of fire and it's dark coloring?
Popplio - I'm sorry to Popplio fans, but the only thing I can think of when I see it is Doofus. I really hope that I like its evolutions so I can come up with something better.
Yep, that's my go to Magikarp name.

I just hatched a Shiny Torchic! and it had Blaze... KFailC... After remembering that the Mega also has Speed Boost, I renamed him to KFKA. Kentucky Fried Kick***! I deserve to be fried by my unoriginal puns... Kentucky style.

I also have a Boomburst Swellow named Boomstick, a Gogoat named Simulator in reference to one of the best games of all time, and a Heatran named after a Youtuber that has a Lava Bucket as his signature weapon. (Anyone who likes this post has serious issues.)
I have serious issues!

Just named my Aurorus "Bifrost" because it's the rainbow bridge in Norse mythology, and auroras are like space rainbows. Also, in the Thor movie I'm pretty sure they were researching auroras when Thor crashed out of nowhere.

Jesse and James the Arbok and Weezing.

Skylar the Pidgeot because sky and bird and flying.

Scarlett the Crawdaunt because it was the name of a British general/captain/whatever during the colonization of the US. Because of their red coats with the tails, they were called lobster tails or lobsters, which is like Crawdaunt, who is the color Scarlett.

Flygon is Fly-Gon Jinn like Qui-Gon Jinn from Star Wars. Likewise, my adorable Sylveon is named Padme.

Skylar the Pidgeot because sky and bird and flying.
Take Pidgeot Skylar, the bird is loaded
But, uh-oh - little does he know
that his daughters Pidgey, Altaria, and Rowlet
snuck into the city to watch all the birds at
WORK WORK

upload_2016-6-22_18-2-55.jpeg
Altaria!
upload_2016-6-22_18-3-23.jpeg
Rowlet!
upload_2016-6-22_18-3-51.png
And Pidgey.

To make this relevant and not just the newest expression of my latest vice, I named a Heracross "Hercules" and a Pinsir "Mulligan." Why?

WARNING: LANGUAGE

Last edited:
Not sure if it will be possible to give a nickname to the Rotom Dex in Alola, but if so, I will name it Whisper. I can imagine the Rotom trying too hard to be helpful to the player, annoying them in the process. It's the same reference as the Litten I mentioned previously.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
A favorite nickname of mine is one which I used on my most recent playthrough of Heart Gold and also one I intend to use when I re-play Pokémon X or Y (which I intend to do once I have learned more kanji so as to use it for reading practice by turning the setting for Kanji on; I am currently playing Omega Ruby with kanji turned off to practice reading kana (hiragana is mostly down at this point and reading the Pokémon names is good for practicing reading katakana)). This name is Sakura (or さくら if playing in Japanese) the Bellossom. In my humble opinion, this is the perfect name to give a Bellossom for a number of reasons which I will outline below.

First and foremost, Sakura (or more specifically 桜 or 櫻) is an existing Japanese forename, meaning that you are giving it an actual name similarly to how I call all of my Mareep Joey. This automatically increases it's strengh as a standalone name because it means that you are personifying it and providing a way to easily improve the bond between Pokémon and Trainer (an aspect that I like to embrace to the fullest when playing through a game, with me often leaving a game with an attatchment to one or more Pokémon from my run (probably my strongest bond is with my first ever Typhlosion)).

In addition, Sakura translates to "cherry blossom" which ties in with a number of aspects of Bellossom's design. First and foremost, blossoms are the flowers which grow in trees before they bear fruit. This ties in nicely with it's design, which features a number of red (normal) or pink (shiny) flowers on its head (which ties in with Sakura flowers nicely due to their colour varying between a huge range of different pinks from beautiful red blossoms right the way through to snow-white blossoms) as well as tying into it's species as the Flower Pokémon.

It also ties in with both it's English and Japanese names; it's English name (Bellossom) is a combination of "bell" and "blossom" which references both it's appearance (the skirt of leaves looks like a bell) and it's association with flowerrs. Where I think it really shines, however, is when you compare it to it's Japanese name. キレイハナ (Kireihana) can be split into two distinct words: 綺麗 (きれい, kirei) and 花 (はな, hana)--although they are written in katakana due to being intended to be read as their sounds instead of their meaning; キレイハナ literally means "pretty/beautiful flower". In Japan, sakura festivals are held every year when the cherry trees have just blossomed, and they are celebrated for their profound beauty. As such, you can consider them to be profoundly beautiful/pretty flowers. Hence it comes back full circle and ties in perfectly with the name キレイハナ.

I typically go for references or jokes with any Pokemon I use, either in the main games or on Showdown!. For example, I started an X Nuzlocke run and picked Fennekin, and mine turned out to be a male. I promptly named him GardevoirMk2. Poor guy has all the same problems...

There's an Aggron I nicknamed Rockapella. Funnily enough I haven't even heard much of the group's music besides the Carmen Sandiego song; I just liked the name.

There's also a Flygon I nicknamed Coolkid, because Flygon's eyes look like sunglasses and that makes it a cool kid.

Additionally, I nickname all frog Pokemon Life Finds a Way and all fossil Pokemon CHAOS THEORY or Clever Girl, because I can't resist my Jurassic Park references!

I typically go for references or jokes with any Pokemon I use, either in the main games or on Showdown!. For example, I started an X Nuzlocke run and picked Fennekin, and mine turned out to be a male. I promptly named him GardevoirMk2. Poor guy has all the same problems...

There's an Aggron I nicknamed Rockapella. Funnily enough I haven't even heard much of the group's music besides the Carmen Sandiego song; I just liked the name.

There's also a Flygon I nicknamed Coolkid, because Flygon's eyes look like sunglasses and that makes it a cool kid.

Additionally, I nickname all frog Pokemon Life Finds a Way and all fossil Pokemon CHAOS THEORY or Clever Girl, because I can't resist my Jurassic Park references!
I can never *not* name my Flygon "Fly-Gon Jinn" after this guy. Jurassic Park is the best thing ever, so I've been looking for a relevant name for Tyrantrum.

So, Team Four Star is back with their Nuzlocke of SoulSilver. As with last time, they randomly picked their starter with the last digit of their trainer ID.
They got Chikorita.

They weren't happy about it. They wanted to name it "Miss Stake", but it was a male, so they named it "Mr. Stake".
In other news, all future Chikorita of mine will be named "Mr. Stake".

Also, yes, that actually is fan art of Mr. Stake. The Nuzlocke was started YESTERDAY.

So, Team Four Star is back with their Nuzlocke of SoulSilver. As with last time, they randomly picked their starter with the last digit of their trainer ID.
They got Chikorita.

They weren't happy about it. They wanted to name it "Miss Stake", but it was a male, so they named it "Mr. Stake".
In other news, all future Chikorita of mine will be named "Mr. Stake".

Also, yes, that actually is fan art of Mr. Stake. The Nuzlocke was started YESTERDAY.
Haha I think it's total BS that the Chikorita line can even be male

I said this over in the Sun and Moon thread, but I'm definitely naming my Mudsdale Boxer, a horse from the book and then movie Animal Farm. It reminds me of him.
I definitely didn't tear up during his death. Nope. Not at all.

Last edited:
Pokemon GO apparently allows player to let the Autocowreck Autocorrect name your Pokemon.

As such, I saw hilarious names such as Bulb assured, Carmaker, #Gastlyfe, Subwoofer, Spear owner, King Lerman, Horses***, Pudge Ottoman, and so on.

EDIT: Found the link again. The best one is the cocoon of destruction that is Metaphor!!
http://cheezburger.com/860677/list-...rs-are-letting-autocorrect-name-their-pokemon

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)