Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you can't actually go? And I didn't know they were going to do the matches on PBR.
You mean like walk in and just watch? Yea, that's allowed. When they say "Invite Only" they simply mean that no random competitors will be playing. It's fine to come in and chill with the crowd and battle for fun and stuff.

Has anyone got any definitive info on the hackchecking cartridges?

Namely, how were the US and UK ones different?

UK one was a long DS cart that opened like a normal DS game (watched this closely myself). From what I've heard, the US one was another long DS cart that opened with download play.

So, when is everybody going to be arriving in San Diego? Me, The Fish King, and The Anaconda will be there Wednesday afternoon. If i have any free time, i will be in the open play room picking up spare matches in both TCG and DS.

And for anybody who has never been to Worlds, The open play room is the place to be. You can pick up plenty of practice, trade, hang out, and around 4PM Wednesday-The open play room becomes the selling room where you can buy/sell/trade almost anything Pokemon. It gets PACKED in there after 4PM on Wednesday.

Here is a link to the whole world championship discussion, including tournaments and other things going on.
http://pokegym.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

I'll be taking the train in down from LA area, so probably around 6 PM on Thursday is when I'll arrive. I know I'll probably miss opening session or something, but I'm mostly there for the autographs and VGC related stuff anyways. :p Since I am not competing( :( ), I don't have to be there Thursday morning. I'm pretty excited for this year's Worlds, I plan on meeting everybody and having a great time with plenty of pictures and videos. I'll be recording the finals and semis and stuff, so look forward to that for when I come back.

Last year I got away with just wireless matches during and after the showdown tournament. There would always be a little huddle of people playing and battling, so I'd often join them. So it probably won't be as big of a deal for me if I miss the open play room.

Last year I got away with just wireless matches during and after the showdown tournament. There would always be a little huddle of people playing and battling, so I'd often join them. So it probably won't be as big of a deal for me if I miss the open play room.
Thursday is going to be packed with people playing the TCG last chance qualifier. That day is the dread of all judges and staff, because the last chance qualifyer has more players than the main event. last year, it took up the entire main hall AND the open play room.

I will be snapping pics as well when i can. If anybody sees me, be sure to say hello
llo!

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Thursday is going to be packed with people playing the TCG last chance qualifier. That day is the dread of all judges and staff, because the last chance qualifyer has more players than the main event. last year, it took up the entire main hall AND the open play room.

I will be snapping pics as well when i can. If anybody sees me, be sure to say hello
llo!
trust me dude, I don't think anyone can forget that face! XD

The whole German crew will arrive Tuesday (Picollo, Viper, Hilikus and us competitors Honchkrow, Fatum and me).
Just let me know where you are and I probably will come by =D

Btw, the schedule on the main site is up:

SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH, 2009

Guest Services Desk 8:00am - 5:00pm
Sapphire Foyer
Prerelease Tournaments (TCG) 8:00am & 11:30am
Sapphire Ballroom A, E, I, M TCG Competitor Check-in
8:30am
Sapphire West Foyer
Retail Hours 9:00am - 4:00pm
Sapphire Green Room
Movie Theater & Gaming Room 9:00am - 4:00pm
Sapphire Room 410
Creative Center 9:00am - 4:00pm
Sapphire Ballroom
TCG Top 16 Play begins 9:00am Sapphire Ballroom Side Tournaments (TCG)
10:00am - 4:00pm
Sapphire Ballroom A, E, I, M League Play (TCG)
10:00am - 4:00pm
Sapphire Ballroom A, E, I, M VGC Competitor Check-in 1:00pm Sapphire West Foyer
VGC Finals begin 1:30pm Sapphire Ballroom TCG Finals begin 3:30pm Sapphire Ballroom Weavile Distribution (English, Italian, German)
11:00am - 1:00pm
Sapphire West Foyer
Weavile Distribution (French, Spanish, Japanese) 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Sapphire West Foyer Signings (Mr. Masuda & Mr. Kawachimaru) 11:00am - 12:30pm
Sapphire West Foyer Signing (Mr. Ishihara)
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Sapphire West Foyer Closing Ceremony
Seems like this year's special Pokémon is apparently a "Californian Themed" Weavile. I wonder what special moves it has.

Do let us know if the hotel has a computer room or something like that (otherwise I'll be hard pressed to connect to Smogon during my stay there).

Here is the complete schedule of events from Thursday to Saturday (13th-15th)

THURSDAY, AUGUST 13TH, 2009

Guest Services Desk 9:00am - 7:00pm
Sapphire Foyer

Retail Hours 9:00am - 6:00pm
Sapphire Green Room

Last Chance Qualifier Registration (TCG) 9:00am - 10:00am
Sapphire West Foyer

Competitor Registration 10:00am - 1:00pm
Indigo Ballroom A&E

Movie Theater & Gaming Room 1:30pm - 6:00pm
Sapphire Room 410

FRIDAY, AUGUST 14TH, 2009
Guest Services Desk 8:00am - 7:00pm
Sapphire Foyer

Late Competitor Registration 8:00am
Sapphire Foyer (Guest Services)

Player Meeting 9:00am
Sapphire Ballroom

Retail Hours 9:00am - 6:00pm
Sapphire Green Room

Opening Ceremony 9:45am
Sapphire Ballroom

2009 Pokémon World Championships begin 10:00am
Sapphire Ballroom

Movie Theater & Gaming Room 9:00am - 6:00pm
Sapphire Room 410

Creative Center 10:00am - 6:00pm
Sapphire Ballroom

Side Tournaments (TCG) 10:00am - 7:00pm
Sapphire Ballroom A, E, I, M

League Play (TCG) 10:30am - 7:00pm

SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH, 2009

Guest Services Desk 8:00am - 5:00pm
Sapphire Foyer

Prerelease Tournaments (TCG) 8:00am & 11:30am

TCG Competitor Check-in 8:30am
Sapphire West Foyer

Retail Hours 9:00am - 4:00pm
Sapphire Green Room

Movie Theater & Gaming Room 9:00am - 4:00pm
Sapphire Room 410

Creative Center 9:00am - 4:00pm
Sapphire Ballroom

TCG Top 16 Play begins 9:00am
Sapphire Ballroom

Side Tournaments (TCG) 10:00am - 4:00pm

League Play (TCG) 10:00am - 4:00pm

VGC Competitor Check-in 1:00pm
Sapphire West Foyer

VGC Finals begin 1:30pm
Sapphire Ballroom

TCG Finals begin 3:30pm
Sapphire Ballroom

Weavile Distribution (English, Italian, German) 11:00am - 1:00pm
Sapphire West Foyer

Weavile Distribution (French, Spanish, Japanese) 2:00pm - 4:00pm
Sapphire West Foyer

Signings (Mr. Masuda & Mr. Kawachimaru) 11:00am - 12:30pm
Sapphire West Foyer

Signing (Mr. Ishihara) 1:30pm - 3:00pm
Sapphire West Foyer

Closing Ceremony 5:30pm
Sapphire Ballroom

There is a Weavile giveaway? Cool, just like last year's Lucario. :D I will try my best to be first in line again for it, haha.

That schedule is getting me very excited about next weekend. :D I'm pretty surprised they decided to squeeze everything in on Friday/Saturday mostly, it seems they might have been able to stretch it out a bit for a few things on Sunday. I know a few of the European players leave on Sunday, so I guess it'll all work out.

When do some of the Americans leave from San Diego?

There is a Weavile giveaway? Cool, just like last year's Lucario. :D I will try my best to be first in line again for it, haha.

That schedule is getting me very excited about next weekend. :D I'm pretty surprised they decided to squeeze everything in on Friday/Saturday mostly, it seems they might have been able to stretch it out a bit for a few things on Sunday. I know a few of the European players leave on Sunday, so I guess it'll all work out.

When do some of the Americans leave from San Diego?
Yeah, i am happy for the Weavile also. I will be leaving San Diego on Monday. Gotta have some time to see the sights you know ;-)

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Great! Thanks for posting that vital info! Looks like there'll be time to sight see a bit too.

BTW, just one last time, we don't get any confirmation about our hotel rooms specifically do we? I got my flight stuff, but nothing specifically mentioning the hotel room. I guess we just go up to the front desk and show our IDs?

I guess we just go up to the front desk and show our IDs?

I would assume it'd be something like this.

---------------------------------------

you: "Hi I'm here to check in for my room."

them: "could I have your last name please?"

you: "(name)"

them: "ok, thank you mr. name. oh, you are here for pokemon world championships?"

you: "yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

them: "ok, here are your keys, you are room #___. since you are a competitor, you get a special hotel key with the pokemon logo on it. the sapphire ballroom where the competition will be happening is just down the hall, take a left/right/left/right/left/right/left/right/left/right/left/right and then you will be there. there will be signs and all that" (and stuff)

you: "thanks very much!"

At least, that was the way it was with me last year mostly, so I assume it's gonna be similar. :p

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus

them: "ok, thank you mr. name. oh, you are here for pokemon world championships?"

them: "ok, here are your keys, you are room #___. since you are a competitor, you get a special hotel key with the pokemon logo on it. the sapphire ballroom where the competition will be happening is just down the hall, take a left/right/left/right/left/right/left/right/left/right/left/right and then you will be there. there will be signs and all that" (and stuff)

At least, that was the way it was with me last year mostly, so I assume it's gonna be similar. :p
Stop it, your making me nervous! xD

Actually, it does go something like that-without the directions and such.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Pokemon Sunday confirmed WC2010...

...and confirmed Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, the Hoenn Trio and the Sinnoh Trio can be used...
What are your sources? Did you watch it? God that sucks. :/ Maybe not. We'll see. :/ Uubers make the metagame sooooooo boring. :/

Well, I just watched a clip from the latest Pokemon Sunday (I don't understand Japanese).

It seems Bangisan was right about the WCS 2010 being confirmed. I can't understand the legendaries part. Maybe they were just showing all the legendaries obtainable in HeartGold/SoulSilver?

Here are the three confirmed facts:

-WCS 2010 is happening for both the card game and video games.
-It will require the use of HeartGold/SoulSilver.
-9 ubers (Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina) are obtainable in HeartGold/SoulSilver.\

With HeartGold/SoulSilver required, it's very likely that another JAA (but Worlds this time) may take place. By requiring HG/SS to be used, they theoretically stopped kids from complaining about not having all the games.

"Waaah! It's not fair my opponent used Ho-oh, Lugia, Mewtwo, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza! I can't afford 2 GBA's, a FireRed/LeafGreen, an Emerald, Colosseum, XD, a GBA-GBA connecting cord, a GBA-GCN connecting cord, and a Gamecube!" - That's what I remember went I went to JAA as a kid

It apparently is true, most legendaries will be allowed in WCS2010. They are going back to a JAA style of play apparently(except lv. 50 instead of lv. 100). I had known HG/SS was required for competition about a month ago by perusing some of my Japanese sources, but I had no idea that they would make it like JAA with most ubers allowed.

Well, this really changes things now doesn't it? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)