Project Old Gen Hackmons Megathread

Rose

formerly WrathoftheLeopard
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Last edited:
WrathoftheLeopard I like your teams. The only thing I didn't quite understand was the combination of Spore and Choice Band on your Mold Breaker Groudon-Primal. I think probably just sticking to attacking moves makes more sense on a set like that because it's only a 1/3 chance that using Spore will be any better than a normal hard switch, and that is assuming they don't have any counterplay. Maybe that is just on the set in case you lose your item I'm not sure. But some other options might be Extreme Speed, Trick, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, or Fusion Bolt.

:XY/Groudon-Primal:
Groudon-Primal @ Choice Band
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- V-create
- Spore ---> Extreme Speed / Trick / Sucker Punch / Pursuit / Fusion Bolt
- U-turn

Last edited:

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I am stepping down from the ORAS Hackmons leadership position.

dramlamb will be appointed as the new official ORAS Hackmons Leader. She has proven to be a well-known expert who has shown significant amounts of dedication towards developing the ORAS metagame. Not only does she have years worth of past experience and the amount of it exceeding everyone else, she has gone above and beyond participating as one of the heads of its VR and presenting thousands of ORAS sample sets for the metagame in Old Shark. Albeit the Pokemon are lower level in an attempt to create her own ORAS Random Battle Hackmons metagame where each set was made in an attempt to be as effective as possible. On top of all this she's spent lots of time continuously guiding newer players through the metagame and giving off great feedback on those player's sets, teams, and/or plays. Everything she's done for the metagame leading up till now shows she has the knowledge and the willpower to lead this metagame further into the future. She could not have been any more deserving of this position.

There will also be a leader appointed for BW Hackmons.

Although a newer player, WrathoftheLeopard has shown plenty of determination and an open mind when it comes to building, playing or managing resources for the format. He's already running an accepted VR, showcasing plenty of well-received "mini-RMTs", and continuously taking numerous efforts to learn more about the format he's contributing to. Despite being newer he's clearly shown to have plenty of good knowledge about the metagame, carries the passion to continue developing it, and is willing to cooperate with other users to have the metagame's resources turn out as their best.

Congratulations to both of these people.

Rose

:zekrom: :kyurem-black: :kyurem: :kyurem-white: :reshiram:

I can think of several people more suited for this role, but as it has been bestowed upon me I will do my very best to lead this metagame. I would like to thank everyone in Old Shark for the constant support (especially manu 11 and dramlamb for guiding me through my BW journey) and just generally being awesome!

Gen 7 noms so that people can look down on me even more even tho i play like every gen good except 4 smh

:emboar: Emboar UR -> C-

Yes, Emboar. I'm referring to this set.

Emboar @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Shell Smash
- V-create
- Close Combat
- Sunsteel Strike / Photon Geyser

An offensive Innards Out is usually seen as a Choice Scarf, but Emboar uses Shell Smash with two Defense-lowering STABs to tear through the opponent, and it can outspeed base 150s after a Smash even with an Attack-boosting nature. If they try revenge killing Emboar, they die. Emboar also has 110 HP so it can kill MMX too. Like you're gonna tell me this is worse than non-WG Palkia, a Pokemon with absolutely no reason to be used ever, cause it's Emboar? If I was really nomming this where I wanted it to go, it would be higher than C-, but no one's gonna accept Emboar

:raticate-alola: Alolan Raticate C+ -> UR

This is ranked? What does it do outside of WG? Like I want to be stimulated with the genius set that caused this to be ranked over non-WG Arceus. No seriously wtf is this, it's not even WG the stuff that Rat does can't be taken advantage of without WG.

:arceus: Arceus C -> B-

You're telling me this is Aegiblade level? The same Aegiblade with lower defenses than Spinda? The same Aegiblade who has so much trouble setting up? Arceus has the capability of running Turboblaze and Magic Bounce and still be great but apparently those sets are so bad they were ranked below non-WG Rat. Turboblaze Arceus is actually great, Boomburst hits incredibly hard and with Ghost Judgment is improof and has no resistances outside of Bisharp, who can't even Spectral Thief it. I implore you to try it.

Yeah I know these are minor but who cares, give some love to Emboar :altaria:

Last edited:
RSE Hackmons Viability Ranking

Hello! When looking back on the previous Viability Ranking, it was very outdated and full of errors that I couldn't correct in one session. I started over, and with the help of fellow council member dramlamb, put together a new and updated Viability Ranking. And so, the Gen 3 council presents you with Gen 3 Hackmons Viability Ranking 2.0!

S Rank
These Pokemon define the metagame, and every good team should have at least one of them. Their presence commands every team to answer them.

:groudon: Groudon
:kyogre: Kyogre

:latias: Latias
:latios: Latios

A Rank
These Pokemon have a high impact on the metagame and should be prepared for. They are common threats and important parts of the metagame.

A+
:wobbuffet: Wobbuffet
:deoxys-attack: Deoxys-Attack
:rayquaza: Rayquaza

A
:ninjask: Ninjask
:skarmory: Skarmory
:dugtrio: Dugtrio
:mewtwo: Mewtwo

A-
:slaking: Slaking
:lugia: Lugia
:banette: Banette

B Rank
While not as powerful or influential as the S and A ranks, these Pokemon still hold a strong place in the metagame.

B+
:metagross: Metagross
:lanturn: Lanturn
:kingdra: Kingdra

B
:gengar: Gengar
:aerodactyl: Aerodactyl
:victreebel: Victreebel
:kabutops: Kabutops

B-
:heracross: Heracross
:blissey: Blissey
:shiftry: Shiftry
:registeel: Registeel
:electrode: Electrode

C Rank
These Pokemon are rarer picks in the metagame, but hold solid niches that distinguish themselves from other Pokemon.

:raikou: Raikou
:tyranitar: Tyranitar
:deoxys-speed: Deoxys-Speed
:porygon2: Porygon2
:ho-oh: Ho-Oh

D Rank
These Pokemon are obscure picks that are rarely seen in the metagame, but do have real reasons to be used occasionally.

:dusclops: Dusclops
:jumpluff: Jumpluff
:regice: Regice
:flygon: Flygon

Rose

Following in supreeee’s footsteps, I would like to offer someone a position on the BW council. manu 11 provided a lot of advice for the first version of the VR and has given me countless team inspirations and suggestions. Still being more knowledgable than me about this meta, I would like them to be part of the decision making and resource creation that drives it forwards.

Last edited:
I was playing around with gen 3 debug and found a small addendum to how abilities work. In Gen 3, Pokemon with only one ability are normally forced into the first slot, but also have the -----/None ability in their second slot. This probably only matters for Slaking. You can observe this in vanilla using PKHex's batch editor (Tools -> Data -> Batch Editor) to set the ability slot. I haven't tested it in link battles, but I assume the game doesn't correct the ability there since it survives through PC usage and saving.
1589943310480.png
abilityTest01.png
abilityTest02.png

I was playing around with gen 3 debug and found a small addendum to how abilities work. In Gen 3, Pokemon with only one ability are normally forced into the first slot, but also have the -----/None ability in their second slot. This probably only matters for Slaking. You can observe this in vanilla using PKHex's batch editor (Tools -> Data -> Batch Editor) to set the ability slot. I haven't tested it in link battles, but I assume the game doesn't correct the ability there since it survives through PC usage and saving.
Wow very interesting. Yea that definitely matters. Thanks for the heads up.

are we actually gonna implement this stuff? either way i guess let's see what happens with new mons

:slaking: people are overrating this it's still just some mon, probably will stay A-, maybe A cause it does have good stats

nothing else gets changed lmao

So...yeah I have some words to say about Gen 3.

:slaking: Slaking :slaking:

So as you can see, before I said Slaking wasn't going to change, because deep inside I really didn't want it to be better. But it was more than better, Slaking was absolutely bonkers and turned Gen 3 from one of my favorite metagames into a complete disaster. The entire metagame now revolves around preventing Ninjask from passing Substitute and Speed boosts into Belly Drum Slaking, which can now eliminate many of its former counters, mainly Skarmory, Registeel, and other Steel-types, with Spore. If it gets even one chance, Slaking can sweep no matter what, save for specific counters such as Aggron, which can be eliminated via the usage of Groudon or Kyogre. This introduces a lot of vital guesswork and undermines the inclusive aspect of Gen 3 that made it so appealing. The diversity of the meta had been entirely killed because of a stupid clause.

:latias: The Future :latios:

What will happen? Well, all teams now revolve around Slaking, Rock- and Steel-types are big now, Groudon's usage increased, Sleep Talk is used more...

OK, I'm just gonna get to the point. If we're actually, 100% implementing this, then I don't want to play this metagame anymore. That's right, if this is what the metagame becomes, I'm going to step down as the Tier Leader, and stop playing Gen 3 altogether. Knowing the Hackmons community, if I don't implement this, then I'm going to be breaking some sort of Hackmons inside rule and Ransei will banish me forever. I really just don't want this to become a part of the metagame, because it ruins what was once a land of creativity, one where you could use whatever you wanted with no repercussions at all, one with complete balance and no dominating force of the metagame, one where every Yin had its Yang. If we could just skip this, and go back to what we had before, I would really appreciate it. But if we can't, then at some point, I'm just going to call it quits.

Please, let me go back to the Gen 3 meta I had before. It's all I would ever want.

EDIT: I'm gonna clarify some things.

If I really end up stepping down, dramlamb will immediately be promoted to Tier Leader and can do whatever she wants with the tier. Also, I'm not quitting right now. I'm staying, in case people actually hear me out and I get to keep this meta. That's all. :swablu:

Last edited:

Rose

BW Pure Hackmons Role Compendium! Enjoy!

Support Move Users

Wish: :blissey: :chansey: :giratina: :lugia:
1590259117947.png

Curse: :dusclops: :froslass: :gengar: :giratina: :giratina-origin:
1590259117947.png

Trappers

Shadow Tag: :gengar: :giratina: :latios: :lugia:

Pursuit: :drapion: :escavalier: :giratina: :scizor: :weavile:

Choice Users

Choice Scarf: :arceus: :blissey: :chansey: :deoxys-speed: :mewtwo:

Choice Band: :groudon: :regigigas: :slaking:

Choice Specs: :palkia: :reshiram:

Priority Users

Fake Out: :arceus: :meloetta-pirouette: :regigigas: :slaking:

Extreme Speed: :arceus: :meloetta-pirouette: :regigigas: :slaking:

Shadow Sneak: :giratina-origin: :regigigas: :slaking:

Prankster: :arceus: :gengar: :giratina: :giratina-origin: :groudon: :landorus-therian: :lugia:
1590259117947.png
:rayquaza: :registeel: :skarmory:

Setup Sweepers

Shell Smash: :deoxys-attack: :dialga: :gengar: :ho-oh: :kyurem-black: :kyurem-white: :latias: :latios: :meloetta-pirouette: :mewtwo: :palkia: :rayquaza: :terrakion: :thundurus-therian:

Belly Drum: :meloetta-pirouette: :regigigas: :slaking:

Shift Gear: :ho-oh: :kyurem-black: :regigigas: :slaking:

Pivots

Offensive: :aerodactyl: :arceus: :deoxys-speed:

Defensive: :electrode: :escavalier: :genesect: :giratina: :jolteon:
1590259117947.png
:scizor:

Weather

Drizzle: :kyogre: :registeel:

Rain Abusers: :palkia: :thundurus-therian:

Sand Stream: :aerodactyl: :regirock: :rhyperior: :terrakion:

Sand Abusers: :aerodactyl: :groudon: :registeel: :skarmory:

Drought: :latias: :regirock:

Sun Abusers: :groudon: :ho-oh: :reshiram:

Snow Warning: :regice:

Hail Abusers: :froslass: :kyurem-white: :mamoswine:

Other Abilities

Wonder Guard: :arceus: :deoxys-speed: :dialga: :drapion: :electrode: :escavalier: :genesect: :jirachi: :jolteon: :mewtwo: :palkia:
1590259117947.png
:regigigas: :scizor: :slaking: :spiritomb: :swampert:

No Guard: :arceus: :deoxys-speed: :electrode: :jolteon:

Mold Breaker: :aerodactyl: :deoxys-attack: :deoxys-speed: :dialga: :gengar: :giratina: :giratina-origin: :kyurem-black: :kyurem-white: :latios: :meloetta-pirouette: :mewtwo: :palkia: :rayquaza: :regigigas: :terrakion: :thundurus-therian:

Scrappy: :arceus: :giratina-origin: :regigigas: :slaking: :terrakion:

Huge Power: :arceus: :deoxys-attack: :meloetta-pirouette: :regigigas: :slaking:

Magic Bounce: :giratina: :giratina-origin: :lugia: :regice: :registeel: :skarmory:

Magic Guard: :aerodactyl: :giratina: :ho-oh: :lugia:

Last edited:
Mono in PH, Gen 6 Edition

We're going back to Gen 6, where there are no moldy moves, so Psychic doesn't win all the time! Yay! And instead of just listing all the possible threats, I'll talk about the types how I want to talk about them. So let's start!

Normal

The first thing I thought of was :audino-mega:, which does Audino things. Pairing it up with :arceus: with a fast support set could be really good for Normal balances, but you could also use :meloetta: to completely wall all special attackers, except for the patented Bug Buzz :kyogre-primal: of course. As for offensive threats, Mold Breaker :slaking: or :regigigas: after being passed a Substitute by :arceus: was deadly, as you can click BD and then start sweeping easily. Spore or Dark Void on :arceus: would really help to set up Substitutes, and its item should be :leftovers: too. You could also potentially run Prankster :arceus: to outspeed other Pranksters, in which case Spore would be nice since most Pranksters run :leftovers:, but Dark Void is an option to hit :venusaur-mega:. No Guard :lopunny-mega: could be nice too as Normal struggles against Drain Punch :mewtwo-mega-x: without :meloetta:, since Drain Punch :mewtwo-mega-x: usually run Gear Grind to hit :audino-mega:. It could also make for a nice Huge Power because of its speed tier, outspeeding base 130s like :mewtwo-mega-x: and :gengar-mega:. Fur Coat :pyroar: is also a neat option to fight against -ate users, but I wouldn't recommend it because of :pyroar:'s bad stats. Here's my take on Normal: https://pokepast.es/737ac9820b2e80a3

Fire

:volcarona: is necessary, otherwise your team loses to Huge Power Thousand Arrows. It's much better this gen than in Gen 7, because there are no Moldy Moves to take advantage of its lesser bulk. Fire needs 3 Wonder Guards this gen, unlike Normal which doesn't have to run 3 WGs; it's just beneficial. :groudon-primal: is the next Wonder Guard that should be employed, because it switches into Flying- and Rock-type attacks. Finally, the third Wonder Guard should be :reshiram: or :volcanion:, as they both switch in to Water-type moves for the pair. They're very similar, but I prefer :reshiram: because Dragon-type moves are run much less than Electric-type moves on Huge Power users. :groudon-primal: could also serve as the main Turboblaze user for obvious reasons. Turboblaze :reshiram: could also be run. Fire doesn't have the fastest mons, so Prankster :groudon-primal: or :chandelure: could help out, and pass Substitute for Turboblaze :groudon-primal: or :reshiram:. There's much less of a selection of viable Pokemon this time due to the loss of Innards Out. Here's my take on Fire: https://pokepast.es/ba6503b081f3e60c

Water

Water lost :greninja-ash: in Gen 6 but gained the solidity of Wonder Guards, which really helps it. :gyarados: and :swampert-mega: form a perfect combo except for Freeze-Dry, which :empoleon: and :volcanion: can handle. They also come with a Grass neutrality to aid :swampert-mega: after :gyarados: sets up. Mold Breaker :kyogre-primal: is also a potent offensive Pokemon, capable of feats such as cleanly OHKOing :arceus: with Steam Eruption at +2. With the loss of :greninja-ash:, Water has also suffered from a lack of fast Pokemon. Prankster :kyogre-primal: could help out, but Water does prefer a defensive approach. Magic Bounce :kyogre-primal: could also be nice, to pass Wishes and such. Here's my take on Water: https://pokepast.es/ff3dac6310e0ce32

Electric

:electrode: is a great Wonder Guard, for obvious reasons. It should be paired with :galvantula:, as it is the only Electric-type Wonder Guard that can switch into Thousand Arrows. Electric has many fast Pokemon, so a Teravolt lead such as :manectric-mega: could be useful. You could also use a Shell Smash Teravolt user, like :zekrom: or :manectric-mega:. You could also get creative with Imposter-proofing, with mons like :magnezone: and :dedenne:. Speaking of Imposter, it's useful to Electric because their best form of cleaning is :choice-specs: :manectric-mega:. Here's my take on Electric: https://pokepast.es/b32f65ba637eb95f

Grass

Wonder Guard :ferrothorn: is necessary because of Grass's high abundance of weaknesses. It is best paired with Wonder Guard :ludicolo:, as it has a Fire and Fighting neutrality, and walls many forms of Huge Power as well. :sceptile-mega: can be played as a No Guard or a Mold Breaker, as :ludicolo: is able to stop most priority users dead in their tracks, and if it can't then :ferrothorn: can. The only real thing that can beat them both is a Fire move + unresisted priority like Extreme Speed or Shadow Sneak on a Mold Breaker, or :xerneas:. No Guard and Mold Breaker beat these respectively. Grass generally has an awful matchup against :xerneas:, :genesect:, and similar Pokemon. Because of Grass's bad matchup against several offensive Pokemon, Prankster or :custap-berry: Endure are useful tactics. Here's my take on Grass: https://pokepast.es/5bf4c5dafbd5c136

Ice

Ice is another type who needs 3 Wonder Guards. :lapras: is able to cover the most weaknesses in a single Wonder Guard, having a neutrality to both Fire- and Steel-type moves. Sadly, there is no Pokemon who can cover both Rock- and Fighting-type attacks, so we must use two different Wonder Guards to cover each of these weaknesses. :mamoswine: is the only Ice-type Pokemon with a neutrality to Rock, and as for Fighting, :froslass: is the best choice due to its Ghost-type allowing it to escape Shadow Tag without :shed-shell:. :kyurem-black: uses Refrigerate like it did before. :kyurem-white: is by far the best Turboblaze user on Ice, thanks to its humongous Special Attack stat. Here's my take on Ice: https://pokepast.es/f685636ddfa08fa0

Fighting

:lucario-mega: is a great Wonder Guard with a neutrality to all of Fighting's weaknesses. It can run a :xerneas:-style set with Flash Cannon, Freeze Dry, and Flame Plate Judgment. :mewtwo-mega-x: can also accompany :lucario-mega: as a Wonder Guard, and its role can vary from attacker to Substitute passer. :mewtwo-mega-x: can also be used as a Huge Power, a Mold Breaker, and as any other roles it could have done before. :lopunny-mega: can also be used as a No Guard, as it outspeeds :mewtwo-mega-x: and can use Sheer Cold on it. Stealth Rock is also valuable to break :focus-sash: so that :mewtwo-mega-x: can break more easily. Seeing as how Fighting also makes usage of :focus-sash:, a Magic Guard :focus-sash: Defog user could be a good idea. Here's my take on Fighting: https://pokepast.es/e32e708e63946233

Poison

Poison has a natural weakness to Ground, so Wonder Guard :beedrill-mega: comes up immediately. :drapion: is also a very solid Wonder Guard, being able to Pursuit :gengar-mega: and stop it from sweeping. :venusaur-mega: is very useful to give :gengar-mega: and :beedrill-mega: setup opportunities, and also abuses Prankster Spore with its own Grass-type. It also provides a secondary Ground neutrality. :gengar-mega: is the best Mold Breaker available because it can self-improof. :crobat: could potentially act as a Fissure immunity with Magic Bounce or Mold Breaker to ward off No Guard users with Fissure. Here's my take on Poison: https://pokepast.es/ec234643c169690a

Ground

Wonder Guard :groudon-primal: and Wonder Guard :swampert-mega: perfectly cover each others weaknesses. While :swampert-mega: is a powerful tool against opposing Huge Power, Wonder Guard :landorus-therian: can completely wall Huge Power. I wouldn't recommend it very much because Ground already has a good matchup against Huge Power. Ground isn't especially fast, so a Prankster user, like :steelix-mega:, :groudon-primal:, or :torterra: could really help out for fast Spores or Substitutes. Because Ground is slower than usual, Thunder Wave Pokemon could help out a lot for speed control. Aerilate :landorus-therian: is an alternative set for speed control. Drought is a possible tactic to increase the power of Fire-type moves on the team. :groudon-primal: and :garchomp-mega: are some good Mold Breakers. Here's my take on Ground: https://pokepast.es/bfabd77ca7b45315

Flying

Flying definitely got worse due to Sheer Cold's lack of immunities, rending :articuno: unfit as a glue to the team. Due to Flying's heavy difficulty with No Guard, it needs 3 Wonder Guards. One of these should be :landorus-therian:, because of Flying's issues with Huge Power and Electric-type moves. :gyarados: should be next to handle the Ice matchup, and alongside it should be :skarmory: or :ho-oh: to round off the Ice immunities. Shadow Tag :aerodactyl-mega: with :choice-band: could serve to trap and eliminate many Pokemon, or it can just use a standard Perish trapping set with :aerodactylite:. :rayquaza-mega: is the strongest Mold Breaker user, due to its incredibly high offensive stats. It can also run Aerilate well. A Magic Bounce user like :ho-oh: or :lugia: could work wonders. Here's my take on Flying: https://pokepast.es/3d3ec8acd17a9e3d

Psychic

The first thing I thought of was :latios-mega: using Mold Breaker to effortlessly sweep. :mewtwo-mega-x: can be used as a Huge Power or a Mold Breaker, but Wonder Guard gives a Bug and Dark neutrality, and the Ghost neutrality can be covered up by :meloetta: or :hoopa-unbound:. Speaking of :meloetta:, it gives the team a counter to :gengar-mega:, one of the largest threats to Psychic. Improofing Mega Latios can be a difficult task, but it is possible. Some examples include :choice-scarf: :deoxys-speed:, Pixilate :mewtwo-mega-x:, and Prankster Spore. :mewtwo-mega-x: can also run Refrigerate to revenge kill :gengar-mega:, but your team should have a :meloetta:. Prankster :celebi: could be run for a Magic Bounce immunity. Here's my take on Psychic: https://pokepast.es/7c1ae5294678adb4

Bug

Wonder Guard :genesect: is Bug's strongest tool, able to run a Smash WG set with Flash Cannon, Freeze Dry, and Flame Plate Judgment. :volcarona: is the best choice alongside Genesect because it resists Fire and has the rarest weaknesses of the available Pokemon that can do so. However, if you don't like the 4x Stealth Rock weakness, :surskit: is another option who also has rare weaknesses. Bug is very weak to hazards, so a Magic Guard Defog user like :beedrill-mega: or :volcarona: would really help. Two Defoggers are recommended. For a Mold Breaker, :beedrill-mega: and :pinsir-mega: sound like the best choices. Speaking of :pinsir-mega:, it can run Aerilate to revenge kill. :beedrill-mega: can run Huge Power with U-turn and 3 coverage moves. Here's my take on Bug: https://pokepast.es/b155a940273eb2e8

Rock

:aerodactyl-mega: is the strongest Pokemon on Rock. It can run Huge Power, Mold Breaker, Shadow Tag, and more. It also has a Flying-type for Fissure. As for the Wonder Guard core, :shuckle: and :relicanth: complement each other perfectly. :diancie-mega: helps out with Rock's weakness to Shell Smash Mold Breaker users, being able to fire off strong Pixilate Extreme Speeds. While I normally wouldn't resort to cheap strategies such as Minimize + Baton Pass, Rock is such a bad type that it needs cheap strategies to work out. Here's my take on Rock: https://pokepast.es/f332519038b96f6d

Ghost

Wonder Guard :sableye-mega: absorbs both Ghost- and Dark-type attacks in one. It can be paired with any other Ghost-type Wonder Guard, such as :dusclops:, :banette-mega:, or :hoopa:. Wonder Guard :gengar-mega: is not advised due to its Fissure weakness, however if you are planning to run 3 Wonder Guards I recommend it. Speaking of :gengar-mega:, it is an excellent user of Mold Breaker, and can self-improof. This is big, as improofing it with other Pokemon is a large challenge. Ghost does not have powerful revenge killers, so Imposter :drifblim: with a :choice-scarf: is recommended. :giratina: with Prankster or Magic Bounce is also useful, for obvious reasons. Fur Coat :doublade: could also be useful to wall Huge Power. Here's my take on Ghost: https://pokepast.es/b5413826bcf17154

Dragon

:palkia: is the best Wonder Guard available, and :dialga: pairs with it and also walls :xerneas:. Aerilate :rayquaza-mega: is great for speed control on Dragon. No Guard or Mold Breaker :sceptile-mega: is useful for Spore and sweep. If you don't want :dialga:'s Fissure weakness, you can run Wonder Guard :kyurem-black:, though it gets defeated by :xerneas:. If you do run :kyurem-black:, make sure to run :dialga: as a third Wonder Guard or run :iron-plate: :giratina: with Imposter. :latios-mega: could run Dragon/Fire/Grass coverage and have :altaria-mega: improof it. Here's my take on Dragon: https://pokepast.es/f4d9871566b7fddd

Dark

Wonder Guard :drapion: covers for all of Dark's weaknesses, only having a weakness to Ground. :sableye-mega: picks up the Ground weakness with a sole weakness to Fairy while being able to run :safety-goggles: or :sablenite: instead of :shed-shell: due to its Ghost typing. This strong Wonder Guard core rids the need of 3 Wonder Guards, which allows for more variety in the team. :gyarados-mega: could prove useful, with different abilities such as Magic Bounce, Mold Breaker, Poison Heal, or even Infiltrator. A Prankster user, such as :umbreon:, :yveltal:, or :darkrai: would be very useful as no Dark-type Pokemon rises above 125 Speed. :yveltal: could also run Aerilate or Imposter for speed control. Here's my take on Dark: https://pokepast.es/3710bc36c662476b

Steel

Steel is an incredibly slow type, and it has not yet gotten the wonders of Imposter :solgaleo:, so :excadrill: will have to do. :scizor-mega: is the prime Wonder Guard because it resists two of Steel's weaknesses. :dialga: and :heatran: both have Fire neutralities to help out :scizor-mega:. :doublade: could be used as a strong physical wall against Huge Power with Fur Coat. :steelix-mega: could also work and run abilities other than Fur Coat. :aegislash: could be a Prankster user with Curse. :metagross-mega: can be an effective Wonder Guard or Mold Breaker, abusing Shell Smash on both sets. :genesect: could be a Smash WG as well. Here's my take on Steel: https://pokepast.es/71e76d07a51d6e20

Fairy

The fearful :xerneas: resides here, using offensive and defensive sets with power. :mawile-mega: is the secondary Wonder Guard, and while it carries a weakness to Fissure, it has perfect synergy with :xerneas: and is one of the few Wonder Guards to wall :latios-mega:. You can't get rid of a Fissure weakness, as the only Steel neutrality without a Fissure weakness is :azumarill:, and the only Poison neutralities have Fissure weaknesses. :whimsicott: with Prankster or Fur Coat could use Spore without being scared of Magic Bounce. :diancie-mega: is useful because the fastest Fairy-type is :whimsicott:. Imposter :wigglytuff: is useful because of the aforementioned Speed issues. Here's my take on Fairy: https://pokepast.es/e0ab03f482029aaa

That's everything! Too bad I spent my whole day doing this, now I expect loves and not measly ass likes like I got last time after 3 days of grueling work

I am also submitting a Gen 7 sample:

:manectric-mega::rayquaza-mega::gengar-mega::audino-mega::cresselia::rayquaza-mega: MManectric Bulky Offense

Mega Manectric with No Guard is incredibly powerful and capitalizes on the recent usage of Water-type Wonder Guards with Zap Cannon. It is improofed fully by Magic Bounce Mega Rayquaza, which doesn't mind paralysis thanks to Aromatherapy. It is also a great Wishpasser, and can restore the Focus Sashes of Mega Manectric and Mega Gengar with its high 105 HP stat, as well as heal up the other Mega Rayquaza. Magic Guard Mega Gengar is just a really powerful Pokemon in general and gives defense against Innards Out, and is easy to improof with Mega Audino, Meloetta, or Yveltal. This team uses Magic Coat Mega Audino to do so, ensuring that it cannot be Taunted. Cresselia counters Mega Mewtwo X with Will-O-Wisp, and sets Stealth Rock as well. Originally Mega Slowbro was in this slot and it improofed Aerilate Mega Rayquaza better, but it had a lot of other problems, so I changed it. The other Mega Rayquaza is Aerilate, which is a great tool this generation because of the amount of MMX and Shell Smash users. Sunsteel Strike breaks would-be walls like Mega Audino.

:rs/slaking:Generation 3 No Ability VR:rs/slaking:

This is the new VR. I decided to make this alone, though any input will be appreciated. There will be Pokepastes explaining the sets here too. Pokemon are ordered by viability within their subranks. This meta has not had much experience yet so it won't have that many mons. However there will be frequent changes. I'll update it as I go.

S Rank

S1 Rank
:ninjask: Ninjask

:slaking: Slaking

A Rank

A1 Rank
:kyogre: Kyogre
:gengar: Gengar

A2 Rank
:tyranitar: Tyranitar

:groudon: Groudon
:rayquaza: Rayquaza

B Rank

B1 Rank
:aggron: Aggron

:tentacruel: Tentacruel

B2 Rank
:skarmory: Skarmory

:celebi: Celebi

C Rank

C1 Rank
:mewtwo: Mewtwo

:deoxys-attack: Deoxys-Attack

C2 Rank
:quagsire: Quagsire
:ho-oh:Ho-Oh

D Rank

D1 Rank
:kabutops: Kabutops
:gyarados: Gyarados

D2 Rank
:aerodactyl: Aerodactyl

Last edited:

Rose

:kyurem: 100th Post! :kyurem:
Hello friends, welcome to my 100th Smogon post! Today I will be updating the BW Pure Hackmons Sample Teams.​

For the record Funbot’s team is mostly still fine. I would personally make a few changes but best just to leave it. Hower, (sorry Ransei) but the current sand team isn’t that great.

The new teams - click (Spiritomb sprite is used over the grainy and out of line Pokestar Spirit sprite for neatness):

:slaking: :meloetta-pirouette: :skarmory: :swampert: :giratina-origin: :spiritomb:
Dual Belly Drum BO by WrathoftheLeopard

:spiritomb: :electrode: :chansey: :skarmory: :gengar: :groudon:
Dual WG and Chansey Balance by WrathoftheLeopard and some input from BahamutLagoon

:deoxys-speed: :spiritomb: :giratina: :registeel: :latios: :groudon:
Deoxys-S Spikestack by manu 11 and WrathoftheLeopard

:rhyperior: :lugia: :terrakion: :spiritomb: :groudon: :jirachi:
Rhyperior Sand Balance by manu 11

:registeel: :giratina: :palkia: :thundurus-therian: :genesect: :rayquaza:
Storm of the Gods by WrathoftheLeopard, input from manu 11 and dramlamb

:regice: :arceus: :kyurem-white: :spiritomb: :giratina: :froslass:
Hail Balance by Cold Shower

Every Gen 3 sample should be taken down, and for now, I'm adding this new one:

:ninjask::slaking::slaking::slaking::gengar::kyogre: Kyogre HO

Here are some other, non-sample teams that you can play around with, though they may become samples one day:

:aerodactyl::aggron::gengar::groudon::slaking::slaking: Double Rock Offense

:ninjask::shedinja::slaking::slaking::slaking::banette: Shedinja HO

:ninjask::slaking::kyogre::slaking::poliwrath::skarmory: Poliwrath Offense

If you guys have any samples for the No Ability meta, submit them now; I'll probably accept them. Bye! :altaria:
EDIT: Tagging Ransei to make this change
EDIT 2: Sample has a Truant Slaking, change to this: https://pokepast.es/bc514ece242973e4. Tagging Ransei again.

Last edited:
Double post but this is important: I'm not going to quit the metagame. Even though this meta is far from the level of pre-No Ability Gen 3, I still find a level of enjoyment when playing it that's just enough to fuel my passion for the metagame. So, I'm going to stay as Tier Leader and will still be in charge of everything Gen 3 related here. Yay! :altaria-mega:

Triple post doesn't anyone talk

:drapion: Monotype in PH, Gen 5 :palkia:

Gen 5 time, let's start. Also no I'm not gonna mention how the mons with the highest HP are the best Imps

Normal
:bw/slaking::bw/regigigas::bw/meloetta::bw/arceus::bw/togekiss:

Slaking and Regigigas carry cause of their stats, Arceus can also carry if it wants to with WG and stuff, Meloetta is required cause it's the only viable Fighting neutrality, Togekiss destroys Prankster with Magic Bounce, but you can run Slaking for that if you want.

Fire

:bw/volcarona::bw/reshiram::bw/camerupt::bw/heatran:

Volcarona required cause of that fat Ground neutrailty, Reshiram also required cause of that fat Water neutrality, then you have to pick between Camerupt and Heatran. Heatran prob better unless you run Prank Camerupt, then you can run WG Camerupt too to confuse the opp. Probably run a Scrappy or MB spinner, speaking of MB Reshiram can probably do that.

Water

:bw/palkia::bw/alomomola::bw/gastrodon::bw/swampert::bw/kyogre::bw/suicune::bw/gyarados:

Freeze-Dry doesn't exist yet (yay!) meaning that Palkia can actually do what it's supposed to do, pair this up with whatever as long as it doesn't have a Ground weakness. Probably something with fat wishes like Alomomola or Gastrodon. Prank Swampert + WG Swampert is also a thing. Kyogre can MB or set rain or do something else, Palkia can also MB, Magic Bounce Suicune sounds ok too. Gyarados can also do any role you want it to good. Water is pretty good this time.

Grass

:bw/ferrothorn::bw/ludicolo::bw/shaymin-sky::bw/torterra:

FerroLudi isn't nearly as shit as it was last gen. Since there's no Freeze-Dry anymore (yay!) it can do stuff. On the flip side, it lost its best mons in Mega Abomasnow and Mega Sceptile, so say hello to MB Skymin. Also MB Skymin, as in Magic Bounce. Maybe Prankster Torterra? Seriously the roster of mons is so garbage it's unreal. Don't play Grass.

Electric

:bw/electrode::bw/galvantula::bw/zekrom::bw/zapdos:

Electric has Electrode, who is about the best WG you can get (i know most people think spirit but not me). You can literally just run two of them, there are absolutely no downsides to doing so, but if you want to triumph over your opponents you can run Galvantula, now with item capabilities! Zekrom does MB stuff, and also Prank stuff because Stunfisk has 66 Attack. Zapdos does Magic Bounce stuff. Maybe No Guard Electrode could do something. Electric's cool ig.

Ice

:bw/lapras::bw/mamoswine::bw/froslass::bw/abomasnow::bw/regice::bw/kyurem-white:

Ice's peak in Mono PH. You might actually say it's viable now. The Lapras + Mamoswine + Froslass WG core works for Ice as usual, Mamoswine is also a great Prankster user and Abomasnow a Prankster stopper with Bounce. Regice can also use Bounce and also set up Hail. Kyurem-White is the MB man cause of his SpA.

Fighting

:bw/cobalion::bw/keldeo::bw/conkeldurr::bw/breloom:

No MMX or MLop so it's bad now, and I mean really bad. At least Cobalion + Keldeo is one of the best Mono WG cores, and speaking of Keldeo it's also the MB. But when you look at the Prankster and Magic Bounce users, you see Conkeldurr and...Conkeldurr. Ok actually scratch that Bounce Breloom is better than Bounce Conkeldurr. But like you get my point, it's really bad.

Poison

:bw/drapion::bw/gengar::bw/amoonguss::bw/nidoking:

Again you can straight up run two Drapion. MB Gengar with Spooky Plate is OP cause you don't have to improof, Amoonguss with Bounce beats Prankster, Prankster Nidoking, it's the same stuff.

Ground

:bw/groudon::bw/swampert::bw/mamoswine::bw/rhydon::bw/rhyperior::bw/landorus-therian::bw/garchomp:

Finally, Prank Don! Unless you want someone in your WG core to be weak to Ground, you should be running Swampert + Mamoswine. Rhydon is broken and fat and tanks stuff with Magic Bounce, and can also set Sand. Rhyperior will probably set Sand better because it can hold Shed Shell. You have a few MB options, like Don, Lando, or Chomp.

Flying

:bw/skarmory::bw/gyarados::bw/landorus-therian::bw/rayquaza::bw/aerodactyl:

Skarm is required so you don't take a million on rocks damage every time, then you have to use Gyara cause it's better than Zard. Then you realize you need an Electric immunity so you use Lando-T since you have space now. Lando-T can also be Prank, cause of other Prank, or Bounce, cause of Prank. Ray makes a nice MB user with its stats. Aero would be neat for STag or No Guard, preferably with Fissure so you don't die.

Psychic

:bw/jirachi::bw/deoxys-speed::bw/mewtwo::bw/deoxys-attack::bw/lugia:

Jirachi + Deo-S is a broken WG combo, Jirachi actually just walls all the Psychic weaknesses right there. MB Mewtwo is probably the best MB, Deo-A can also be MB and fill various offensive roles, like Scrappy, Levitate, or God knows what else. By now you suck against Prank so Bounce Lugia comes to the rescue. Then you fill your remaining slots with Deo-A cause are you actually gonna tell me there's a better way to build?

Bug

:bw/escavalier::bw/volcarona::bw/shuckle::bw/genesect::bw/heracross:

Escavalier required cause it's op, then you can use either Volcarona or Shuckle to switch into Fire moves. Genesect is the best MB which is really disappointing, cause it has 120 on its offensive stats and doesn't even break 100 Speed like come on. I have no idea what Heracross does but it sounds neat. Anyway don't play Bug.

Rock

:bw/shuckle::bw/relicanth::bw/aerodactyl::bw/terrakion::bw/rhyperior::bw/rhydon:

Ew Rock, somehow this type got worse because of pre-Gen 6, but also post-Gen 4. It's a really bad spot for Rock to be in. Anyway Shuckle + Relicanth is the perfect WG core, your best offensive mons sound like Aero and Terrak which is beyond disappointing, also you probably want Sand so load up that Sand Stream Aero. Also load up that MB Terrak cause you have no better options, also Bounce Aero and Prank Rhyperior, and also Sand Stream Rhyperior and fat tank Rhydon. Anyway Rock is the worst type don't use it.

Ghost

:bw/gengar::bw/spiritomb::bw/dusclops::bw/giratina::bw/golurk::bw/giratina-origin:

MB Gengar is a blessing to Ghost, Spirit/tomb is the ideal WG here cause of obvious reasons, but it's not as good as Electrode/Drapion because you can't just stack two of them. You have to run something else because of Scrappy, probably Dusclops cause it's so fat. Giratina is broken, Prank Golurk is cool too. You can also run other stuff like Gira-O cause of various reasons. Anyway Ghost is a good type so use it.

Dragon

:bw/giratina::bw/dialga::bw/palkia::bw/rayquaza::bw/latios::bw/kyurem-white::bw/kyurem-black:

Giratina is OP again, Dialga is also OP cause it has a neutrality to both Ice and Dragon, I'd pair it with Palkia cause an extra Ice neutrality is neat. Literally anything can be the MB just pick one, Latios is probably the best one cause Soul Dew is broken, STag Ray is nice too and KyuW probably does something. Also Dragon's fastest mon is Latios so you probably want speed control, like Imp or Fakespeed Huge Power Kyub or something.

Dark

:bw/spiritomb::bw/drapion::bw/darkrai::bw/krookodile::bw/mandibuzz:

Use Spirit/tomb again, this time you can pair it up with Drapion and have the honorary most broken WG combo in Mono. Darkrai is probably the best MB which might not sound that good but no one cares. Prank Krookodile is the best one and also it fits with its name, Prank Spirit is cool too. I think Mandibuzz can do some stuff, go try it out.

Steel

:bw/escavalier::bw/dialga::bw/excadrill::bw/skarmory:

Ew Mono Steel in PH. Escavalier makes his return and pairs well with Dialga. Also speaking of Dialga it's the best MB so use it. Steel does have one of the best Prankster users in Excadrill, and it has Skarm which does some Skarm stuff, but it's still bad.

This ends the Gen 5 Mono post, which I probably would have told people about before making but I decided to make it a secret

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)