Sticky Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that -Green- was referring to Curse, rather than a base stat change to lower Swampert's speed.

Also, I'm really confused at Sceptile's ability. Why in the world would it need an Electric immunity (when it's already 4x resistant to Electric) or a potential Special Attack boost (when almost all of its level-up moves are Physical).
Because Sceptile has a focus on speed, and this prevents Thunder Wave from effecting it with a couple of nice bonuses like blocking volt switch.

I wonder if the story will be like Emerald where you have to fight both teams. If not, I am going with Alpha Sapphire. I love Team Aqua and how badass does Archie look? Kyogre is also the king of ubers.
I thin it was confirmed in the corocoro issue that the team you fight is dependent on the version.

Last edited by a moderator:
mega sceptile has a niche as a SUPER FAST AND POWERFUL SPECIAL ATTACKER that thundurus can't just go and "lel priority thunder wave. git rekt faggit"

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Could be as simple as they had Mega Lati@s already programmed, and at the time of XY's release, they hadn't gotten the rest of the Mega's done yet.

Plus, it wouldn't be the first time they put something in the game, then never used it.
This makes me wonder if mega lati@s would only be obtainable in xy. I mean there should be a reason why they added them in and not any of the other megas. Just having them in for the hype seems like a decent argument because of the trochic event. But this doesnt really change why they kept the other megas out completely and not leave empty slots for them.

As for these megas, mega sceptile would be pretty cool to try. Everyone mentioned it as a rotom-w counter but it can probably handle mega manetric well. Sure it packs a hp ice but sceptile can switch into any of its other attacks and ko with leaf storm or d pulse if it gets a lightning rod boost (calc'd with LO since Im assuming its power would be around LO's strength). It should be able to handle the water types in the tier (lol sap sipper azu) and it is only truly weak to talon/pinsir. Its bad defensive typing doesnt really matter though since it will have to go offensive anyway and it has the coverage to play that offensive role well.

Personally, I think swampert looks the coolest. And regigigas>chesnaught for how it looks imo. Anyway, it keeps its cool typing and gains a better ability. Still not optimal but its still usable. A lot of the stuff for this guy was already mentioned so Im not spitting it back out. Pretty interesting pokemon though. It does seem to have some defensive potential with its utility moves. Glad swamperts coming back to ou though. n_n

Anywho...

Just replace xy mons with mega mons.

Heatran-M-sceptile and gayridos are an awesome core! Garydos enjoy the immnue of sceptile while the range of weaknesses is covered by the other of the core.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In the 3D era? That's WAY too much work, even for GameFreak.
Why? I mean, they managed to make six hundred and seventeen move animations for XY. They clearly showed that they have the capability to create move animations in 3D, otherwise there wouldn't have been any in XY either. It's not that much work, as evident by the fact that there are half a dozen hundred moves in the games already, and then some. If they remade as many as 40 moves, that would still be less than 1/15th of the animation work for moves in XY.

And the differences between the move Groudon is using and Earthquake are way too extreme anyways. Earthquake has always looked similar to that and I wouldn't believe it if they changed it.

I'm pretty sure that Kyogre and Groudon are receiving signature moves, finally.
Sorry to disappoint you here, but no new moves are ever introduced in the middle of a generation. It's been a rule since RBY, and I really doubt they'll break it now. The reason? Those moves wouldn't be compatible with XY in battles. The games can handle tweaking of existing Pokémon, moves or even abilities between games. That has been done since FRLG, when Deoxys had different stats depending on the game it was used in. One generation later, Hypnosis had different accuracy when used in battle between a D/P cartridge and a Platinum/HGSS cartridge, than it had in a battle between two D/P cartridges. The games are made so that data can be tweaked, but it won't have any idea what to do with entirely new data, such as new moves, Abilities or Pokémon species.
"But... but... Internet era! Patch!"
Nope. If they had planned to do that, they wouldn't have included the dozen-odd "hidden moves" in XY. Thousand Arrows, Thousand Waves, Light of Ruin... all of those were added to XY, so they could be used by event exclusive Pokémon without the game breaking. Had GameFreak planned on making new moves for ORAS, they would have been hidden on the XY cartridges already. If they had decided to rely on patches, there wouldn't have been any hidden moves on the cartridges at all. They too would have been introduced by patch, instead of being put on the cartridges upon release.

In short, my money is on new animations for existing moves. The move Groudon is using could be Earth Power, Eruption or even Stone Edge. Kyogre's move could be any Ice move for all I know (well, maybe not Ice Punch).

Personally I think it's something to do with their transformation rather than any sort of move or ability. But that's just me.

Since we definitely know ORAS has new megas, that swings open the door for theorizing - my money's on megas of Flygon and Metagross. I'm guessing Steven will keep using different megas each time you see him, coming into a climax when as a champion he has Mega Metagross.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Personally I think it's something to do with their transformation rather than any sort of move or ability. But that's just me.

Since we definitely know ORAS has new megas, that swings open the door for theorizing - my money's on megas of Flygon and Metagross. I'm guessing Steven will keep using different megas each time you see him, coming into a climax when as a champion he has Mega Metagross.
I'm of the opinion that the Mega-Charizard-X shown is just a stock image shown because they don't want to reveal Mega-Metagross yet, but it's just an opinion (though Charizard-X makes absolutely no sense for Steven to have flavorwise, as he himself states that he uses Rock/Steel types).

What I'm most interested is how X and Y will handle interaction with the new megas since none of them are in X and Y's code; sure the game can be patched, but what if someone with X and Y who can't connect to the internet battles an ORAS owner locally? This wasn't a problem in the past for other newly introduced alternate formes because they simply display as the original forme on the older game, but megas go through a whole transformation sequence thingy. I'm sure Game Freak has got it covered, but I am interested as to how they will handle it.

I wonder if the story will be like Emerald where you have to fight both teams. If not, I am going with Alpha Sapphire. I love Team Aqua and how badass does Archie look? Kyogre is also the king of ubers.
I was really hoping they'd base the story off Emerald, like how HGSS is basically like Crystal (but with different levels for Ho-oh and Lugia, a la GS). But my primary reason is that I'm a cheap bastard and want to be able to have both Groudon AND Kyogre.

I highly doubt it since Metagross is Steven's main powerhouse and signature Mon.
Is it really harder to believe an already existing mega that happens to be on the same team to be said mega than to speculate on mega metagross being the mega, ace or not? I wouldn't mind mega metagross. But to prepare myself for no disappointment, I think it's safer to assume Mega Aggron will be the "other" ace.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is it really harder to believe an already existing mega that happens to be on the same team to be said mega than to speculate on mega metagross being the mega, ace or not? I wouldn't mind mega metagross. But to prepare myself for no disappointment, I think it's safer to assume Mega Aggron will be the "other" ace.
I'm inclined to disagree just because if this was the case, why not show a picture of Mega-Aggron with him? It's already an existing Mega-evolution, there's no harm in showing it with him.

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was really hoping they'd base the story off Emerald, like how HGSS is basically like Crystal (but with different levels for Ho-oh and Lugia, a la GS). But my primary reason is that I'm a cheap bastard and want to be able to have both Groudon AND Kyogre.
Honestly, I can see them going with the Emerald story-line. It would be a shame to have these great new trainer designs only to have half the player base not even see them. For GF to redesign them must mean they are probably going to be more important.

I wonder if the Frontier heads will get redesigns as well.

I'm inclined to disagree just because if this was the case, why not show a picture of Mega-Aggron with him? It's already an existing Mega-evolution, there's no harm in showing it with him.
Frankly, I don't know why they didn't show Steven's team right away. Maybe they just wanted to point out his new role in the story first?

Edit: The point of my previous post is just stating that if one were to assume Aggron was his mega, then they wouldn't be too disapointed should Mega Metagross not be a thing or ecstatic when GF pulls off a ninja and keeps it hidden until the reveal.

Last edited:
Why? I mean, they managed to make six hundred and seventeen move animations for XY. They clearly showed Sorry to disappoint you here, but no new moves are ever introduced in the middle of a generation. It's been a rule since RBY, and I really doubt they'll break it now. The reason? Those moves wouldn't be compatible with XY in battles. The games can handle tweaking of existing Pokémon, moves or even abilities between games. That has been done since FRLG, when Deoxys had different stats depending on the game it was used in. One generation later, Hypnosis had different accuracy when used in battle between a D/P cartridge and a Platinum/HGSS cartridge, than it had in a battle between two D/P cartridges. The games are made so that data can be tweaked, but it won't have any idea what to do with entirely new data, such as new moves, Abilities or Pokémon species.
"But... but... Internet era! Patch!"
Nope. If they had planned to do that, they wouldn't have included the dozen-odd "hidden moves" in XY. Thousand Arrows, Thousand Waves, Light of Ruin... all of those were added to XY, so they could be used by event exclusive Pokémon without the game breaking. Had GameFreak planned on making new moves for ORAS, they would have been hidden on the XY cartridges already. If they had decided to rely on patches, there wouldn't have been any hidden moves on the cartridges at all. They too would have been introduced by patch, instead of being put on the cartridges upon release.
I'm not sure if this is a solid argument when clearly there is major new content in ORAS that does not even exist in X and Y (like, I dunno, new mega evolutions). I'm pretty sure a patch is inevitable because Mega Stones are items, and Mega Evolution is not just a stat, appearance, and ability change (compare to Giratina, Rotom, etc). I'm a bit doubtful that you would even be able to battle Mega Sceptile, Swampert, or Diancie on ORAS using X and Y because X and Y will have no damn clue what item they're holding or how to interact with it, especially regarding moves and abilities that involve items, like Knock Off, Trick, Frisk, Magician, etc...

"Gourgeist frisked Sceptile and found its..."

Start with the likeliness that a DLC patch for X and Y for compatibility for the new Megas (and even more specifically their items, the stones). Then factor in that GameFreak is likely aware that Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza are the only box art legendaries that don't have signature moves. Also, GameFreak has CLEARLY taken a liking to adding signature moves, if you haven't noticed that almost all of the new Pokemon introduced this generation received one. (Although, they did Ho-Oh no favors at all...)

Someone in this thread mentioned that they could be evolution sprites, which I could sort of see happening. Sort of.

Last edited:
Honestly, I can see them going with the Emerald story-line. It would be a shame to have these great new trainer designs only to have half the player base not even see them. For GF to redesign them must mean they are probably going to be more important.

I wonder if the Frontier heads will get redesigns as well.
As much as I am a cheap bastard, Game Freak are greedy bastards. I wouldn't be surprised if you were right - they used Emerald's storyline/teams. . . But then only let you catch Groudon in OR and Kyogre in AS.

There is a GTS and a Pokebank to get those

I also wonder if the legendaries will be shiny locked and/or have at least 3 perfect IVs like on X/Y

There is a GTS and a Pokebank to get those

I also wonder if the legendaries will be shiny locked and/or have at least 3 perfect IVs like on X/Y
Ah yes, GTS. All I need is a spare Arceus/Mew/Celebi.
Edit: Or a whole lot of luck. I did manage to trade a male Gastly for an Articuno and a level 91 female Gardevoir for Yveltal. Who needs good IVs or nature? :/

I see no reason to change that 3IV mechanics; from what I understand that's how it'll be from Gen 6 onwards. GF are trying to make getting into competitive a little easier, and to remove something as huge as 3IVs for legends would be so counter-productive.

since the new forms of Kyrogre and Groudon are called Prehistoric pokemon I wonder if any of the fossil pokemon will get new forms ( or maybe even Zygarde will get one that lets him learn those ground based moves people have found hidden in the code)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)