Tournament OMPL VIII - Week 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Art by AmirAlexander
- Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Playoffs | Finals -
- Information Thread | Roster | Schedule | Standings | Replays and Usage Stats | Records -
Discussion Thread

How this works
There are 8 teams this year. Each team will have have 6 players and at least 2 subs. The players are bought using the 80k credits that managers receive during the auction. Managers will be allowed to purchase themselves as players for their team at a fixed price of 16k but must assign one assistant manager from their drafted players. This may be done either during the auction or after it. Teams can win their matchup every week by winning 4 of the 6 matches that their players have to play.​
The tier lineup this year is as follows:​
  1. SS Almost Any Ability
  2. SS Balanced Hackmons
  3. SS Camomons
  4. SS Mix and Mega
  5. SS NFE
  6. SS STABmons
All games will be played on the Pokemon Showdown main server or SmogTours in the most current version of the format corresponding to those listed above. The result between players may be decided in a best-of-one or best-of-three at the discretion of both players involved. If there is no agreement, the result will decided in a Bo1 by default.​
Winning a round rewards a team with 2 points, drawing 1 point, and losing zero points. In addition, the manner in which the round has been won will also be recorded i.e. the difference between a team's wins and losses in a specific week's round (referred to as "Win Differential").​
Playoffs:​
Each team will play one another for seven weeks. Based on the final standings, the top 4 teams will enter a Playoffs Round to determine the teams appearing in the finals.​

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).​

Tiebreaker Rules: The most played meta from usage stats plus one metagame picked by each manager will give a best-of-three game between the tied teams, ultimately deciding who goes onto finals. The three games must be different formats, i.e. the remaining two games cannot be the same as the most played metagame, and must be from the list above. Since SS Balanced Hackmons is most likely to be chosen by usage, the decision to play Bo3 or Bo1 is still left upto the players' discretion and bo1 remains by default.​

Substitutes
Substitutes are to be used in the case of "extenuating circumstances" which are unavoidable, whether on the first day of the week, or the last. Moreover, they should generally not be used with a tactical purpose of creating confusion in an opponent's team. At the same time, players should be relatively well-aware of who all are available to play in the opponent's camp. If last minute substitutes are being frequently used or abused and the hosts find explanations unsatisfactory, the hosts still reserve the right to veto them.​

Trades
If teams wish to conduct a trade, both managers (or assistant managers if the manager is not present) MUST PM Ransei and SectoniaServant on the FORUMS to have the trade be official. No trades may occur after the conclusion of week 2. A traded player may only feature in the round after they have been traded.​

Scheduling
Scheduling should be done on VM walls, plain and simple:​
  • If there is no communication on VM walls and a game goes undone, it will be left to the RNG to decide the winner
  • If there is communication on only one user's behalf, the win will go to them. Feel free to call activity in this thread beforehand
  • If there is a very healthy back and forth regarding potential times and one user is a no-show, a manager may take the opportunity to sub out the no-show competitor; if this is not done, the user that showed up responsibly will be awarded the win.
TL;DR: VM your opponents, schedule your matches, and be reliable. If you're not reliable, let your manager know so they can sub you out ASAP.​
Use these VM's to initiate discussion about bo1 or bo3 as well!

Sportsmanship
Exhibitions of unsportsmanlike conduct with regards to Other Metagame Premier League will be met with an infraction at the discretion of the OMPL host/OM mods. This is unlikely to include interactions within a team's private chat unless there is reason found to make an exception. This rule is meant to protect other users from being publicly flamed/bashed/provoked by another competitor for the duration of and following the tournament.​
All players must complete their matches by the given deadline. Any incomplete matches by that time will be subject to activity decision (MAKE SURE YOU POST ON YOUR OPPONENT'S VM WALL); otherwise, they will be decided via !pick publicly in the OM Room. All matches should ideally be done on your most notable alt (the one you registered for OMPL with) to avoid confusion and the replay must be saved and posted in this thread. The replays will be archived in a separate thread, and will be used to calculate usage stats.​

Substitutions & Lineups
Managers, if you wish to make any substitutions, you must post here tagging both the player you're subbing out, the player you're subbing in, the manager and assistant manager of the opposing team, the substitute's opponent, and myself. This is to assure that everyone is in-the-loop and that the OP is updated accordingly to reflect the new match-up.​
Managers, when you send in lineups, please send it in with the tier and Smogon username of each player fully written out for ease of transcription, in exactly the same order as laid out above. I will post instructions about sending the lineup for next week later this week.​

Matchups

The Money Magearnas
(Funbot28, GL Volkner) - [1][5] - The Head Honchkrows (Jrdn, aesf)

SS Almost Any Ability: Fardin vs aesf
SS Balanced Hackmons: GL Volkner vs highlighter
SS Camomons: Matiss98 vs Jrdn
SS Mix and Mega: Gmansour20 vs Redflix
SS NFE: Crystalites vs frisoeva
SS STABmons: Funbot28 vs Cam

The Klink Shamers (Chloe, Pigeons) - [2][4] - The Spinda Wheels (xavgb, Jordy)

SS Almost Any Ability: itsKimbo vs xavgb
SS Balanced Hackmons: a loser vs PinkDragonTamer
SS Camomons: DugZa vs Havens
SS Mix and Mega: Pigeons vs Jordy
SS NFE: TonyFlygon vs King Leo V
SS STABmons: Betathunder vs vivalospride

The Temper Tyrantrums
(OM, drampa's grandpa) - [3][3] - The Crown Jewel Corviknights (SBPC, Andyboy)

SS Almost Any Ability: The Number Man vs Thinkerino
SS Balanced Hackmons: Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) vs MAMP
SS Camomons: Akashi vs MetaRiolu7
SS Mix and Mega: Skysolo vs Andyboy
SS NFE: Monsareeasy vs Thimo
SS STABmons: Plas vs Terracotta

The Pandemic Parasects (Catalystic, Sylveon.) - [3][3] - The Malevolent Misdreavuses (Chazm, Euphonos)

SS Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs rozes
SS Balanced Hackmons: DF-Shock vs abriel gabram
SS Camomons: Sylveon. vs Euphonos
SS Mix and Mega: MultiAmmiratore vs Chazm
SS NFE: TJ vs Tack :]
SS STABmons: Zesty43 vs Lasen

~ Deadline ~
11:59 PM (UTC -4) on May 17th, 2020

Last edited:

pdt

is a Past SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
welcome to pdt (certified better than mamps) bh review and while i may misplay sometimes i sure as hell won't miss my chance to point out yours. it is a miracle i have the time to type this shit out so dont expect it every week like weird guy that always posts but pretends like someone else put him up to it vivalospride predicts

mamp vs. loser https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1111231298

ok so first off mamps team is a bit weird. the idea seems to rely a lot on zama + ndw + dgz ability to make progress through voltturn, but it becomes tough when loser reveals 2 shield users allowing him to scout zama easily. losr makes good progress early by knocking the seis and getting spiky chip on zama as well as burning the umby with lava plume. mamp attempts valiantly to catch the etern with photon but perhaps revealed too early with the zen darm on the other team, which looking from the early close combat damage on etern to be fur coat as the team just loses to zac-c otherwise. loser decides to switch in his snorlax on the ndw when umbreon seems to be completely free and can also scout the zama easily and chipping it if mamp wants to click uturn to maintain momentum. zama also is last move bolt beak so he is not able to click knock with zama and get rid of lefties / boots, which is really unfort as losr has a tough time getting rocks off if he is stuck in the vortex. loser also decides to sack his snorlax to somewhat get himself out of the vortex although i dont know why it switched in the first place especially if his etern is the one with hazard control. gyara comes in and reveals ph and starts clicking sg for free as the seis is para'd and gets free dmg on seis, teleporting out into the imposter wob which is fair. however this is probably the worst sequence of the game as while mamp gets good damage clicking fishy rend vs loser as loser decides to get volt chip vs imposter while planning to shrug off the damage with regen later. why mamp opts to dynamax turn 26 is beyond me, the zama-c ability hadn't been revealed and if you look at team comp it seems unlikely that regen etern would be his only gyarados improof, especially since etern hasnt revealed any sort of recovery at this point. this seems very impatient from mamp and costs him as his dmax is wasted completely. even after seeing that zama-c is fc and gets spectral'd he wastes more health on his imposter not accomplishing anything, because even with a crit he can't kill the zama-c, and imposter goes down to 18%, making it tough for it to recover later in the game, especially with hazards up. mamp goes umbreon and gets his lefties knocked, ensuring that the burn becomes big as loser can steadily make progress now. loser has no reason to switch with umby's lefties knocked and can just keep clicking stuff to let spikes / burn do the work for him. mamp attempts to generate some sort of momentum with teleport and goes back into imposter, i assume to recover off the damage and risk the speed tie, as he has to at some point in order to get his imposter back, although he decides to just switch out instead which makes little sense to me, going back into umbreon to recover as he already revealed that it is prankster. i don't really understand throwing away imposter instead of trying to recover on the speed tie, as +4 spec thief wouldnt hurt too bad as you copy fc. loser just sits on the umby until mamp switches out, and then slowly whittles down on zama / ndw with his spike and mamp cannot make much progress at all. loser grabs the momentum with teleport vs lunala and kills the seis with his etern, and at this point it looks very rough for mamp. loser gets more chip with spikes and spiky shield and dynamaxes his darm, trying to catch a greedy eq / nearly killing the umbreon which is fair, but he couldve saved it if he somehow ended up in a tight spot. loser reveals wish on his etern which is going to make it even harder for mamp to make progress, the hazard control must have been on seis because mamp realizes he can't do anything versus loser's defensive core. overall solid from loser except the snorlax turns early game which were weird, and mamp lost in the builder, with multiple choice mons and just ok hazard control. don't like mamps build too much in this one, losers is interesting but pretty weak to hazards because if etern and darm-z boots get knocked things get dicey vs. ph mons / random shell smash stuff that snorlax would have a tough time with. game was pretty bad overall as loser just had to go on autopilot once he had mu and imposter was thrown.

hl vs gurpreet https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1111774566-w02xji0a1igkz0t253jtkiqaqtad19zpw

first glance marshadow looks like a problemo for hl and hl seems to have brought a bulkier sort of build. hl's team is super weak to resh and immediately loses his umbreon which was later revealed to be his hazard control to a really cool mixed lo mb resh that catches the umbreon. t5 shit looks great for sl and dire for hl, as that spike is gonna stay up for the rest of the game and we'll learn that his jelli has no way to make progress vs sl's resh. in hindsight there was nothing for hl to really do there except bring a better resh answer, because once qd life orb is revealed it is tough to scout around for moveset. seeing at this point the hl's resh is very likely fc to deal with zac-c, we can tell from fishious damage from zacian that it is some sort of band set. sl doubles to his resh, no doubt trying to get it in on the water resist or recover now that hl has revealed defensive. turn 9 is pretty nice from sl to get his orb on marsh activated as there is pretty much zero chance that hl is risking his resh to click lava plume. hl proceeds to miss a wisp vs the zac which is pretty unfort for him, as he will have trouble making progress vs it later. turn 17 sl makes a play to trick away his choice band, trying to catch the resh and get its boots off which probably wouldve given him a huge advantage, but instead catches the jellicent and gets its orb. which is still good for him but not max value. i probably would've been a bit more patient trying to get the trick off as it is much more valuable to trick hl's resh, but it still works out for him. turn 19 sl lets his resh get knocked which is ok, but it means that he can no longer 2hko snorlax or apply as much pressure to jelli. to me knock seemed pretty obvious after the toxic orb went off and it was unlikely he was going to try to spike up on the magic bounce mon, but it just prolongs the match. hl has already revealed prank snorlax so not sure how worth it qd was there. at this point sl figures out that hl has no hazard control left but doesnt get them all up fsr, and just messes around with the switching prolonging the game. hl has no way to pressure shit now that his spiker is walled and taunt zama cant make any progress with photon darm-z there. sl reveals recover on his zacian and from that point the game is hella over. did not like hl's team at all here as without getting a good hazards matchup the team barely has any immediate pressure, relying on ph zama which is a well known set and his entrain resh which sl has the counter for, as well as having pretty weak answers to resh. sl's team was actually pretty cool although he didn't reveal most of it. cool spinblocker in ph marsh as knock cant bother it too much and a nice resh set that got a good matchup. only thing was weird was the no pivot zama-c, but the rest of the team was pretty nice. again not much on sl's team for mixed smashers, although fc darm-z + regenvest zama-c can cover a lot of stuff you never know what smash bs you'll run into.

df shock vs dimrah https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1112363600

game starts off nicely for dimrah, as df shocks immediate answer to zac-c is primsea ferro which is a terrible zac-c answer and cant stop zac-c from getting up a spike. df shock goes into his spinner which turns out to be pixilate zacian which imo is also a bad set because even though it can't be spinblocked it barely provides any defensive utility and can't even touch stuff like fc zekrom which is like the only thing that pixilate is realistically hitting. it also is completely walled by zac-c and gives it free turns as it has knock which can make some progress i guess but overall this set is pretty useless. it gets immediately trapped by a dope set from dimrah which is fc wacan mandi (s/o wacan brought 2 of em in omwc finals last year) and anchor + transform + imprison traps df's hazard control. df shock reveals corrosion qd tox etern which is cool to beat ice scales mons but is forced out because it lacks recovery and by dimrah's zama-c and goes into his bounce mandi after knocking the zama-c, no doubt making it easier to chip later in the game. dimrah attempts to spike up vs the mandi which is fair as most mandi sets will just get 2hko'd by +1 sunsteel. bounce is revealed which works out for df shock but i can't say i like bounce mandi as it pretty much loses / knocked vs all the ph setters (zek, resh, zama) in the long run, and doesn't provide much defensive utility outside of walling certain ndw sets, although if its specs volt switch it cant beat it anyways. df shock essentially sacks his etern turn 17 to get off a toxic which is fair because he has barely any other options of pressuring it. turn 21 df shock reveals the gimmick endeavor shell bell incineroar which is funny but can't even beat dimrah's etern so ends up being useless. snorlax turns out to be wish baton pass so the etern can get a second life, but shock has revealed his cards at this point and won't easily be able to catch the etern with toxic, which is what he really needs for incine to do any work. dimrah reveals his mg lo dgz and it has a great matchup vs shocks team as his counterplay is fc snorlax and primsea ferro lol. a timely dmax revealing max knuckle forces df shock to sack stuff to the darm, and he gets rid of his last form of hazard control in mandi. the game is pretty much over at this point as nothing stops zac-c from getting up spikes and just winning from there. df shock's etern is low and doesn't have opportunities to come in, and lacks recovery anyways. whats even funnier is that although the incine turns out to be leech seed it still can't touch the etern bc its spin. at this point the game is over and dimrah just spikes and autopilots to victory. df shock's team was pretty terrible although dimrah's dgz + etern did have a good matchup.

thats it for me dont take anything personally i called it as i saw it and play better next time and hf

Last edited:
Continuing the predicts every week as promised.

The Money Magearnas
(Funbot28, GL Volkner) - [4][2] - The Head Honchkrows (Jrdn, aesf)

SS Almost Any Ability: Fardin (35)vs aesf (65)- I believe aesf is the more solid and more proven AAA player by quite a bit.
SS Balanced Hackmons: GL Volkner (60)vs highlighter(40) - Volk goat is back and he is gonna keep winning.
SS Camomons: Matiss98 (30)vs Jrdn (70) - Matis got lucky last week, can't see it repeating here.
SS Mix and Mega: Gmansour20 (51)vs Redflix (49) - Slight edge.
SS NFE: Crystalites (51)vs frisoeva (49) - Both have been the best nfe till now, but crystal has brought super heat. Choke last game, but I think he can still comeback here. That said, as a player friso has the edge, only reason for this bold is the more depth crystal can see into the meta.
SS STABmons: Funbot28 (55)vs Cam (45) - Going to be a close game for sure, slight edge to funbot.

The Temper Tyrantrums (OM, drampa's grandpa) - [3][3] - The Crown Jewel Corviknights (SBPC, Andyboy)

SS Almost Any Ability: The Number Man (51)vs Thinkerino (49) - tp bias
SS Balanced Hackmons: Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) (55)vs MAMP(45) - Man is 4-0, still mamp has not played bad in any way, and has a fair shot at winning.
SS Camomons: Akashi (45) vs MetaRiolu7 (55) - Jeran has let me down the last time I predicted in his favour, so rip ;-;
SS Mix and Mega: Skysolo (35)vs Andyboy (65) - Not losing.
SS NFE: Monsareeasy (45)vs Thimo (55) - Arctitic is pretty solid, but I wonder if he can take thimo heat. Expecting a good match here.
SS STABmons: Plas (55)vs Terracotta (45) - I keep on bolding he keeps on winning ezz.

The Pandemic Parasects (Catalystic, Sylveon.) - [3][3] - The Malevolent Misdreavuses (Chazm, Euphonos)

SS Almost Any Ability: Sabella(45) vs rozes (55) - Two top players, but super high on rozes after that last week game.
SS Balanced Hackmons: DF-Shock (60) vs abriel gabram (40) - Don't know much about abriel gabram so..
SS Camomons: Sylveon. (60) vs Euphonos(40) - unfort hax ruined syl record in ompl..but he'll keep winning no matter what as always.
SS Mix and Mega: MultiAmmiratore (51)vs Chazm (49) - Ahh, idk i'm confused, anyone's game tbh.
SS NFE: TJ (49) vs Tack :] (51) - FINALLY phew. Still I would say this is a nominal edge, he has not been playing much either so..
SS STABmons: Zesty43(49) vs Lasen (51) -Lasen did decently last game, let's see if he can keep it up.

SPINDAS WINNING IT ALL!!!!

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
GEERAT'S AESF'S RACOOL's ROZES TOTALLY ON TIME MAMP's OMPL BH Review AAA EDITION: Week 4
I am going back to the old trusted format created by none other than aesf . I'll start with my favorite one and rest of them are basically which replays I found first.
  • xavgb vs rozes : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1111200973
    • Needless to say this has been one of the most entertaining aaa games throughout the OMPL, both of them brought near A game with pretty solid teams with slight lures sprinkled. Rozes started the game on fire, luring stresh's mew which is one of the most common terrak counters with megahorn albeit with high rolls. But as usual it was again my old nemesis dragapult which stole the show allowing stresh to come back in the game with its lethal mixed sheer force set which rozes had basically no answers for if stresh got his predicts right. While rozes managed to scare it away with a doom desire from av rachi and a timely predict into hippo, but couple of turns later he gave stresh his first opening in the game, when rozes underestimated rhydon's physical bulk and let mandi die, allowing stresh to freely spam shadow ball in the rest of the game. Scarf terrak still had a chance to bring rozes back in the game if he got lucky with a few predicts specially the cc on pult one, but that wasn't the case so ferro just sat on mew in the end and cleaned the game. Overall it was a pretty entertaining game from a spectator perspective and once again showcased why pult was considered one of the most dangerous mons in the metagame. Both stresh and rozes have been amazing this ompl, I am sure we probably get more such games from them in coming weeks.

• funbot28 vs sabella: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1111719217
    • For the next game, before I start I'll like to make it clear I respect both funbot and sabella tremendously as players and both have beaten me multiple times from when we played and this is nothing personal, but this game was pretty awful. Sabella had 2 breakers incineror and kyurem with an otherwise balanced team and funbot came with a fairly creative team utilising perish trap for her dual ghost sweepers. Game started with standard pivots doing their pivot thing, till funbot caught sabella's pex with her prima. But here's where her woes began, not anticipating gastro acid (or maybe she didnt suspect it was prank), which is a common move on toxapex, she messed up the perish turns which meant either bth werent gonna die, or both would, which in hindsight wasnt a bad decision, letting prima take down prank pex, since once its set was revealed all prima did was give incineroar free turns to spam dark moves, which funbot had no answers to. Next up there was a possible misplay from sabella's part by not letting incineroar switch in on prima and getting a kill, but it was still early in the game so it wasnt that big of a deal. Next in search of momentum, funbot tries to trick the incoming pex I am assuming, which again wasnt that good a decision, since pex might have black sludge and trick could just have backfired. But anyways sabella caught some momentum back by getting terrak in to absorb the trick and lay his hazards. Next turning point comes in the game where funbot reveals her mew is speed invested and surprises sabella with a body press to kill his breaker. At this point ball was in her court, she maybe could have preserved draco for little later as to catch a low kyurem by surprise, but nevertheless it was her game to lose. After that both the dragons from both sides started dismantling each others defensive cores, after which sabella caught a break when his mew got parad, making sure he'd have the slower turn allowing kyurem to safely roost/attack. Eventually by the virtue of slow u turn and suddenly revealing dual rocks, and just one last choke by funbot switching out mew allowing sabella to defog and go safely into kyurem, even though she missed a draco but by that point it was inconsequential, since kyurem just roosted off the damage of non stab draco, Sabella wins the mew stalemate. Overall I still think this could have been a pretty good game, but it was what it was. But both are seasoned veterans, and I have absolutely no doubt both will come back strong. Listen kids always use poison fang on your silvally.

• thinkerino vs lbdc: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1112296410-lkxyez7romnomqawi50nkn1ssk45afzpw
    • Personally I have been pretty impressed with lbdc, playing wise I am sure he'll get more and more tour experience overtime, but his teams every week look really fun. Both players here actually brought pretty fun looking teams, with think bringing tinted garde balance with pult as a cleaner while lbdc brings specs prima + mamo, with galv kommo luring prima switchins. Things start poorly for lbdc, since his nick straight up reveals his lure, which is pretty unfortunate considering with kommo possibly luring pex, prima did put in a ton of work. Game again started questionably for lbdc with mew trying to worry seed a bounce pex, but prima straight up showed how strong it is, sniping a solid 40 odd from pex. But his shadow ball switchin only being hydrei as well as inability to remove rocks against think, really chipped his possible cleaner. As usual kommo could have done some serious damage but it was nullified by its nick, and rhydon ended up taking it on easily due to its massive bulk on physical side. In the rest of the game prima did force some sacks, but the defensive core of mew + corvi + pex turned out to be too hard to break for lbdc, specially when paired with sf pult, which again dominates a game completely, allowing think to take this. Overall this was a pretty fun game to watch which could have been better if kommo lure worked and could have really close but credits to think for pulling it off rather comfortably in the end.

• racool vs aesf : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1112310655
    • This was another really hyped match up, both aesf and racool have been on the top of AAA from as long as I can remember, and both of them shine in such bo1 scenarios during their amazing capacity to build shit which can catch you by surprise w/o affecting the match up vs rest of the team much. While unfortunately I dont think the series does justice how good this matchup could have been, believe me not taking any credit from racool, her building capabilites have been one of the best in ompl scenarios hence her huge success in the tour in general, but the game 1 was pretty meh. From the start all 3 of aesf's wall breakers were completely walled by racools flash fire blade. Though we did get to see that unique af mew in her team, which again put in its weight trapping and eleminating aesf's corvi. Aesf tried to get back in the game with his own doublade but by then it was just too little too late as the combination of bulky mons like coba + kyurem meant his only chance was relying on crits through sneak.
    • https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8almostanyability-1112325156 : Second game was much better than game 1 match up wise, with both players coming strong with breakers of their own. Aesfs kyurem 2hkoing racools whole team and racool's bisharp having an amazing match up vs him. Game starts off strong with aesf unleashing kyurem early but regen corvi agains pulls its weight, giving racool a sponge to bring in terrakion, and very smartly toxicing aesf's terrakion check. Cycle then continued with aesf trying weaken everything for pult presumably and racool pivoting into terrak as a backup whose match up improved considerably with a toxiced mew. Aesf went further ahead in the game burning corvi and severely weakening hippo, but after that heres the first of 2 turns which eventually cost him the game. First being not scalding the bisharp and that went on to just barely living 2 draining kisses which the possibility of coming later again as a sucker speed control. Next up instead of defogging, he chooses to preserving the momentum and unfortunately comes the second turn which cost aesf the game, his spikes being bounced off by opposing magic bounce mew, which basically led to garde putting extreme pressure on his rachi, forcing aesf to play the sack game. In the end he still tried to pull it back with a very clever endgame but again water was over the bridge by now, since all racool had to wait for is one predict gone wrong, just as soon as that happened she had the game, which is how the game ended. This one is a pretty good example how just couple of misplays, just couple i mind you, completely turns the game around. I was secretly hoping aesf would win this so that we'd get a third game but it is what it is, congrats to racool!
Upcoming week match ups and a few observations :
  • First of all the biggest change is gonna be the lack of dragapult, I dont think defensively much will change maybe less defensive fairies, since nothing really walled that thing so most people including me just gave up on walling that and made sure had like 2 revenge killers or something. But we are definitely gonna see more offensive psychic and ghosts pop up, prepare your gengar checks people! Other than that through out this week, there wasnt that many changes to team composition, intimidate started seeing some use due to increasing amount of darkest lariat to bypass dauntless shield, rhydon popped up a couple of times, and showed how much of a physical monster it can be if the team around it is good. Some metagame staples like mamo dont seem that effective anymore due to the increasing number of precautions people take against them, kyurem just seems unwallable in general due to receiving freeze dry this gen and there being no chansey to wall it, and one more thing i can see dying is use of extremely fast scarfers like noivern due to the increasing usage of dragapult in the past weeks. So its a new day for the meta, and its quite exciting to see which ghost gets banned next.
Upcoming match ups -
  • Fardin[30] vs aesf[70] : While if this was a couple of years ago, I would have given fardin a fair chance here, since he does have the ability to pop up with sometimes wack but effective teams, but considering how much he has participated in aaa recently, i just don't see him causing an upset here, specially since I am sure aesf will be making sure he gets his record straight. But well you never know with mons.
  • itskimbo[40] vs xavgb[60] : While it's amazing kimbo finally overcame his losing streak, stresh does seem a much bigger hurdle to pass through than his earlier opponent, stresh is undoubtably one of the best aaa players in gen 8, and has vast knowledge to just win without relying on gimmicks. I do think this will be a pretty good game though, really interested to see what kimbo brings this game, and whether or not stresh brings something specific to counter his usual building strats.
  • The Number Man vs Thinkerino : I am pretty annoyed racool isn't playing and mostly because I am not aware of number man here, and without thinking too hard, I'll just have to give this one to think. It'll be nice to get surprised and having to eat my words though.
I guess thats it, this took a fucking long time to type now I understand why rozes delayed this last week. I wasnt hungry when I started typing but now I am. Hope we get some good games.

Last edited:

LBDC

From Eu to the Mont-Saint-Michel
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Some (random) predictions about Almost Any Ability games of this week
free Kommo-o Galvanize
SS Almost Any Ability: Fardin vs aesf For a such player, aesf has a tough OMPL so far with its only win begin it W1 match against Megazard but in the other hand it is the Magearnas AAA slot, aka the slot in 0-4. Talking of that, Mags had go with Fardin to play AAA, a decent pick here due its good overall in-game, but it obviously lead to some questions about its AAA knowledge in SS. I feel that aesf will finally win again, thanks to it knowledge, and that we'll wait yet for a Mag win in AAA.
SS Almost Any Ability: itsKimbo vs xavgb sacrifice
SS Almost Any Ability: The Number Man vs Thinkerino Provably a underrated match up here; Thinkerino had a decent run so far while TNM, a creative player, have been waiting that racool can't play. I think that TNM will be able to bring a solid anti meta team covering Thinkerino choices and finally win
SS Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs rozes This match up is provably the most "standard" here, with both used to AAA since year now. Both have used kinda cool teams last week, so yeah definitely a tough prediction here. I personally think that Sabella will win the prep war and ultimately win, but again who know

I'm kinda happy that pult is finally banned now and glhf everyone n_n

I have seen weekly recaps of the games in multiple tiers other than Mix and Mega this OMPL so despite the quality of many of these games, I present to you, Andy's OMPL MnM Review: Week 4

Redflix vs Skysolo:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8mixandmega-1110400209

Both teams are unusual. Redflix has a Ghostspam with Dragapult and Chandelure supported by a tried and true defensive core involving Corviknight and Mew finished with an unorthodox combo of two Ground-types Rhyperior and Hippowdon. Skysolo has Zeraora that is definitely not Pinsirite as he has double Atespeed, standard rocks Clefable you don't really assume that mon is running anything other than that at this point, Defog Sablenite Corviknight, all of this looks standard... then you see the Necrozma-DW which is a cool pick because now that Lunala is gone, there's little chance that anyone is running a Ghost resist and the additional power allows it to get around Corviknight much easier. It seems to be pretty threatening here since Redflix's only play is just to go Corviknight and pray it takes two Moongeist Beams. If Solo's Zeraora is Metagrossite it is particularly threatening because both of Redflix's Ground types can't switch in on Grass Knot and it pivots out vs Mew and brings in DW the monster threat. On Redflix's end, Chandelure and Rhyperior are both very threatening and if he is Curse Hippowdon it is a potent wincon if Solo's DW gets chipped or dies. On preview I would say the matchup goes to Redflix because he has multiple wincons that become progressively scarier as mons start dropping but Solo has the tools to easily claim multiple kills with DW if he plays the matchup right.
Moving on into the game itself, Turn 1 we see the Manectite Mew and Corviknight revealed immediately with Solo getting momentum into Zeraora on the opposing Corviknight. Turn 2 is one of the most important turns in the game because Solo tries to make an aggressive read to catch the Hippo and Grass Knots on the Corviknight when Redflix makes the Roost midground so he gets his Sablenite activated and reveals the Grass Knot Zeraora. Turn 4 Solo gets rewarded for what should have been a loss of momentum when Zeraora crits the Manectite Mew on the Volt Switch so Zeraora is now unbelievably threatening. Turn 5 Dragapult comes in, Solo tries to bring in his Arcanine to offensively check, Intimidate doesn't work because of premega Clear Body, and Pult promptly reveals Lucarionite Dragon Darts and OHKOs the Arc. I feel Clefable should usually be switching into Pult as it is able to tank Diancite Shadow Balls with ease even premega and swings the momentum back into Solo's favor quite easily and this play looks even better in light of the fact that it would have avoided the Arc dying. I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about Lucarionite Dragapult as its main niche in being the fastest mon in the meta with Diancite capable of outspeeding Zeraora is entirely gone but I suppose it worked here. Turn 8 Redflix continues to outplay the Metagrossite Zeraora and avoids sacking a Mon as he hards in Rhyperior on Zeraora Volt Switch when Grass Knot would have OHKO'd. Turn 10 the DW is in and we see Redflix try to go into his Sablenite Corvi and is 2HKO'd by Moongeist so instead of sacking Corvi he throws out the 20% Mew.

Turn 12 we discover a huge problem for Solo, every time DW gets a kill, Chandelure comes in and probably does the same... or so I thought but turn 16 Redflix, feels desperate enough to try and trade Chandelure for Zeraora in a super silly turn where Chandlure lives Plasma Fists and Zeraora lives +1 Shadow Ball because the Chandelure is Absolite. This is very bad for Redflix because now the Zeraora, Solo's wincon, is still alive and the Chandelure, his wincon, is dead. However, the game takes a turn immediately in Redflix's favor when the Dragapult reveals Sub and Solo chooses to try and take the Lucario route to winning and sacks his Zeraora to break the Sub. Turn 20 we see Hippowdon come in on Lucario SD which is definitely fishy as Pinsirite Lucario normally walls Sablenite Hippo's coverage. Solo smells a rat and goes into DW and takes 59 from Body Slam with a para showing Redflix is some weird set with either significant attack investment (like we're talking around 200 evs if Impish or Adamant with a bit of investment minimum). That's essentially the game as Redflix just sacks his Corviknight, goes Pult, Lucario can't set up anymore, and Hippo just wins the game with Curse. This game was far more fast paced than most MnM games this gen and was a pretty fun watch with Redflix's Sub Lucarionite Dragapult and Altarianite Hippo techs playing key roles.

Fardin vs Multi: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8mixandmega-1111646640

Multi's team looks fairly standard with Lucario, Zeraora, and DM forming his offensive core and then Mew, Clefable, Corviknight as his defensive portion there really aren't any uncommon mons on this it's just about finding out the Zeraora and DM set. The fact that he has 3 physical attackers and Lucairo and Zeraora both struggle against Mew makes me think he is Sub set up DM or else is just relying on the combo of Lucario and Mew to bust through physically defensive mons. Fardin is using full stall or bulky balance there really is little to no distinction between those styles in this meta because Clefable and Corviknight are every team regardless so it's a question of whether the dm is passive or offensive. The matchup is funky Ditto makes Fardin's Lucario matchup dramatically easier but it can still put in a lot of work if Multi utilizes one of his Espeed resists like Corviknight or DM when Ditto tries to revenge. Fardin has multiple Electric weaks and no resist outside of Clefable so Metagrossite, Pinsirite, or even Taunt Lopunnite Zeraora all pose significant threats here. If Fardin's DM is any kind of setup it poses an immense threat to Multi's team. If it isn't, it's tough because he doesn't really have many wincons to play for other than PP stalling Corviknight out of Defogs with Clefable and Toxapex Moldy hazards assuming it is Gyaradosite. The issue is there's little to no incentive for Multi to mega his Corviknight so that poses an additional problem for Fardin's team with its own Pressure PP stall. The dynamic of Corviknight choosing to mega to force Clefable to mega so that their own Clefable beats the opposing Clefable and can always force the rocks trade vs keeping Corviknight unmega'd for the pressure stall is another key component that this game will hinge on but I would say the matchup is in favor of Multi as Fardin's degree of difficulty to make his team work is just overall harder.
Hopping into the game, we see Fardin immediately take the mega with his Corviknight, revealing that he fully intends to force Multi's Clef to mega asap. Multi does just that, megas and puts his rocks up as Fardin shows great understanding of the matchup he just set up and goes right into his own Clef to force the rocks trade. Turn 6 Multi reveals his Zeraora set to be the least useful one in Lopunnite however, the threat of Taunt is still significant in this matchup. Turn 11 shows an unfortunate dynamic of the matchup in that Fardin's Clefable is forced to mega to deal with the Lopunnite Zeraora and therefore doesn't have the advantage against Multi's Clefable anymore. Multi reveals the menace that is Sablenite CM Mew I was sure Fardin's Pex would be Gyaradosite mostly because of this matchup. However, it is actually Banettite spelling all kinds of disaster for Fardin and meaning that Mew is basically prepped to win this game. However... it shows that it is Psyshock meaning that although it still pressures the Pex with Scald burn + Psyshock damage, it makes progress significantly slower and is strapped for PP. Multi cannot get a burn to save his life so Fardin is able to stick around for a while and pivot around between DM and Pex. Turn 24 Multi chooses to leave his Mew below half and go into his Zeraora to pressure the Pex harder but he still had plenty of PP left and Fardin wasn't really capable of doing anything other than trying to buy time with his Pex, DM, and Clef, regardless, Zeraora is in and it's a threat.

Turns 29-31 confirmed that Multi isn't Sub DM as if he had it, it made a ton of sense to go for it in that exchange as it got a kill if it did. Fardin's DM is also likely not DD which is extremely unfortunate for him as that is really the only easy way he has to win this game. Turn 38 marks a significant achievement on Multi's part in which he has managed to go for 11 Scalds without a single burn which is pretty unfortunate because a significant portion of Mew's merit this game is in Scald burning everything and making Fardin's life miserable. Turn 42 Multi reveals the absolute travesty that is Brave Bird Defog Corviknight meaning that without Pressure, it actually cannot keep Clef Rocks off the field but luckily for him, he has a matchup where he doesn't have to mega it. Turns 47-48 reveal that Fardin realizes that he isn't beating this Pressure Corviknight or winning this game outside of PP stall as he repeatedly pivots into Ditto to utilize Corviknight's own Pressure against it. This interaction continues happening and the Clef + Ditto dynamic against Corviknight is Fardin's primary wincon that he is pushing for the rest of this game. Multi catches on to this fairly quickly and starts pivoting out instead of burning his Defog PP but Rocks chip are all Fardin really needs to tip this game in his favor so it's a win-win scenario for him unless Multi can get his own Rocks up very quickly. Turn 63 Mew has finally acquired its first Burn but is now down to 10 Roosts which is pretty huge for Fardin considering how annoying this Mew is for him. Turn 67 Multi starts to go for game with DM and Fardin stays in with Corvi to Brave Bird instead of going into Mandi for some reason not only showing that both players are using a Corviknight that can't remove Rocks against Clef but also giving Multi a possible opening. Multi is finally making progress but instead of pushing it and continuing to force Corvi to burn roosts or setting up more, he just switches out into Clef... I understand he was expecting Mandi eventually but Fardin is too scared of Sunsteel Strike to go into it at that point and even if Fardin gets Ditto in on DM at +4 or higher, Multi has the tools to get out of that scenario alive +6 Sunsteel doesn't kill DM at full even if it isn't running any bulk and he has a Corvi to prevent Fardin from locking into EQ for free.

Turn 71 marks the turn in the game as Multi gets his own rocks up and begins a cycle of incredibly confusing plays on Fardin's side. Mew comes in on DM and begins setting up and instead of going into Toxapex, the one thing that prevents this Mew from burning multiple things, Fardin chooses to mess around in front of it with Corviknight and burns a Roost PP and risks two turns of Scald burn for essentially no reason. At this stage of the game, both players' gameplans both hinge on Clef play and utilizing Rocks and turn 96 highlights the horrible interaction that is Brave Bird Corvi vs Clef as there is absolutely nothing Fardin can do to prevent Clef from getting its rocks. However, instead of pushing this, Multi keeps switching I think he needs to just push the rocks advantage at that point there is nothing Fardin can do other than go into DM and let Rocks go up or try and then force the Rocks trade with his own Clef or Ditto later. Turns 98-102 Fardin keeps messing around with this burn with his Corvi and Multi once again shows off how cold his water is and isn't able to capitalize on a single Scald. Turn 105 would have been a perfect turn for Multi to reveal Taunt Zeraora or even Toxic if he has it as if Clef is crippled or has to use Heal Bells that's huge for this matchup but instead he Volt Switches out likely fearing Moonblast as Fardin erases all of his hard work with a Softboiled.

Turn 115 Fardin makes a clever play in harding in his Ditto from DM on Multi's Clefable as there is no chance Multi stays in and Moonblasts a DM and that forces the Rocks trade without wasting PP. Multi makes an aggressive play and hards Zeraora trying to catch the Corvi and the Ditto copying Clefable also covers this possibility perfectly. In the following turns, Multi makes a series of aggressive plays that allow him to finally get in Lucario with rocks up which is quite dangerous for Fardin. Multi tries to catch the Pex switch by megaing and Mega Kicking as Fardin goes into DM meaning all of that hard work to get Lucario in is now for basically nothing but if Multi had stayed unmega'd and SD'd he was almost certainly taking a kill. Fardin manages to stall Mew out of Scalds without a single thing getting burned which is truly insane I may have missed a few but unless i'm mistaken, Multi burned 1/24 scalds or something wild like that... I still feel Fardin's play was to get Pex in on Mew every time and he messed around with getting numerous other things burned and got rewarded. Turn 131 is when the entire game turns around Fardin brings in a weakened Clefable on Zeraora and gets crit and his defensive counterplay completely crumbles. Multi says in the chat that he's Taunt so I still think he just Taunted the following turn and I see absolutely no scenario where Fardin Moonblasts with his clef at 30-35% when he Softboiled the last time he was under 50%. After the crit, Fardin is forced to sack his Pex to Toxic the Zeraora because without that in place, he will lose this game. If Multi's Clefable gets the heal bell off, Fardin will lose this game. I feel the game was extremely scary for Fardin at that stage regardless but turn 131 completely spiraled it out of control.

Fardin realizes this and makes an excellent game saving play 136 in choosing to U-turn on Multi's incoming Clefable instead of Roosting but it just isn't enough at this point. The following turn Fardin doubles into Clefable presumably hoping Multi recovers with his and he can somehow muster up some magic but it's a lost cause because Fardin cannot win the Clef vs Clef mu when he's that low and Multi just goes into Corviknight anyways, sealing Clefable's doom. The following turns are fairly unexciting as the game is essentially over but Turn 155 highlights the dumb Pressure bug where it says you're losing double the PP even if your Corvi doesn't have pressure anymore as even though it says Multi has no Scalds left, he makes me look stupid earlier in my post by... actually having Scalds left and burns the Mandibuzz (Please fix this smh). Turn 259 Fardin finally realizes his PP situation is unmanageable and tries to hard in Ditto on Multi's Clef rocks and Soft Boiled back to die to Moonblast which marks the end of the game. I feel this game was very unfortunate for Fardin considering how he played most of it and did well working towards his PP stalling wincon but it also showcases how difficult stall is to wield in this meta as a lot of the time you are just waiting to lose as one thing going wrong can seal your fate because you don't have the tools to claw your way back in. Once it got to the point where Fardin was forced to trade Rocks, Clefable was always going to be heavily pressured by Taunt Zeraora and Multi was just in a much more comfortable situation for the majority of the game.

Chazm vs Jordy: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8mixandmega-1111714517

Jordy's team has the classic defensive core we've already seen numerous times in Clef, Corvi, Mew. He also has Pex for additional defenses i'm assuming that's Banettite with Sp Def to take on one of Chazm's favorites in Chandelure. Hydreigon and Zeraora are the offensive guys not entirely sure what the Hydreigon is but I wouldn't be surprised if it can hit Clef or if Zeraora was Metagrossite with Play Rough to hit Clef because otherwise they both struggle to break it. The Mew can definitely be Sablenite because the Rhyperior matchup looks pretty dangerous without it and it provides an additional wincon. Chazm's team is... idk what i'm looking at it's a bunch of bulky attackers thrown together he has no Defogger, two fire types, and Chazm loves Pinsirite Zeraora so I just assume it's that or Metagrossite on all of his teams so potentially 3 Rocks weaks, no Defogger in Clef meta, i'm just not a fan. Mewtwo can be a menace there just aren't switch ins. Pex is the main thing that lets it in and it has the potential to claim a kill every time it comes in. Chazm hates Zeraora enough to run Pinsirite Rhyperior and that's what I think he has here and Chazm's Zeraora can potentially be pretty annoying if he plays it well. Chazm doesn't have a Clef so his Dark resist is Banettite Incin... that probably can't hit Hydreigon hard enough... On a team with 3 Dark weaks... so Hydreigon is actually a big threat here.
Turn 1 we figure out that Mewtwo isn't the busted set that gets a kill every time it comes in it is screens and Jordy is almost certainly Sablenite Mew because his Corvi is Venusaurite. Chazm apparently doesn't agree with me because when Mew comes in trying to check his Mewtwo, he sees a Defog coming and tries to Taunt it on the Cosmic Power. Chazm then tries to go Incin on the second Mew Cosmic Power which normally works because Darkest Lariat ignores boosts and still forces big chip on this Mew. However, Turn 4, Chazm greeds an SD and his Hydreigon switch in and one of his two ways of handling this mew just dies to +2 Body Press... for free... Chazm now goes into his other means of handling this Mew in Chandelure. Jordy makes the safe play and goes into his Pex which does indeed have the tools to handle this. Jordy really could have gone for game at this point he has the tools to stall out Light Screen and because he is two boosts ahead Chazm actually struggles to beat it. But I understand Jordy not getting greedy considering Mew is still really useful in the matchup and Rocks being up allows Mew to get past Chandy much easier in the Future.

Chazm makes a nice play getting his Zeraora in on the Pex, reveals he is Pinsirite, and begins setting up on the Clef. I feel Mew was a safer and better play here considering it covers all 3 Zeraora sets but Jordy still gets his rocks in exchange for the Clef the issue is now he also has to sack his Pex to get rid of the boosts and then he assumes Chazm won't greed and risk damage on his wincon and fears Chandy enough to double into Hydreigon and gets OHKO'd by Zeraora's status'd Facade. Considering Chandy is Latiastie instead of Lucarionite, Hydreigon should be able to eat two hits so I think it was an unnecessary risk especially because Chazm just stays in and Facade's the Mew which is completely fair for him to do in that situation as Mew has to Cosmic Power to beat Zeraora and he can just go into Chandy on the Roost the following turn. Regardless, the Hydreigon dies and Jordy's only real shot at this point is to muscle past that CM Chandy with his Mew it's not likely but feasible and it's Chazm's job to ensure that possibility doesn't arise in the future.

Turn 16 Chazm does exactly what I said he couldn't afford to do... Instead of going into his Chandelure that not only gets either heavy chip on Zeraora or a kill every time it comes in but also stops the Mew from snowballing, he stays in with DM and DDs. Then he goes into Chandelure the following turn and lets Mew have an additional boost for no apparent reason and the head start if needs to win this game. Turn 19 Chandy CM's and Mew reveals Stored Power and Turn 20 Chandy reveals Hex which changes the entire situation. Shadow Ball almost certainly won Chazm the game it does too much and Mew is destined to lose eventually however, Hex gives Mew a realistic chance to pull this off as two Stored Powers seal this game for Jordy. Turn 24 is an exceptionally risky play from Jordy as he chooses to Stored Power while he is in 2HKO Hex range. However, it is a risk that pays off as Chazm reads the Roost and CMs meaning this game should be a wrap. Facade's max roll from Zeraora is 15% at +5 Defense so even after the Chandy Hex he lives Zera's Facade and barring crits the turn he kills Chandy, the turn he Roosts vs Zeraora, and the turn he kills Zeraora, this game is done. However, instead of killing Chandy, Jordy chooses to try to Roost with Mew and risks multiple additional crits when he really shouldn't be messing with that.

The dreaded crit comes turn 26 and seals the game completely. Well, it should have been done, but Chazm risks DDing with his DM for absolutely no reason when it is 2HKO'd by CC at that range or even Plasma into CC if the rolls are right. He has Photon Geyser there is absolutely no reason to make this play it should be obvious he doesn't outspeed Zeraora at +1 even if he's Jolly max speed... I realize why Jordy doesn't CC the turn Chazm DD'd he was worried Chazm would have EQ and the -1 Defense from CC would put him in range but for some reason he doesn't CC the following turn either and lets the DM kill him. Lopunnite Zeraora could win that game with a high CC roll on Rhyperior or a crit it bothers me so much that Chazm decided to risk the game like that. Either way it works out for him ig and Corvi obviously isn't Bulk Up and can't beat a DM ever so Jordy forfeits and that's that. Overall this game really annoyed me mostly because of how the endgame played out but the Sablenite Mew set was a nice tech and screens Mewtwo was a not nice tech. Latiasite Chandy is pretty cool for a team like that as well considering you can lure and take on Exca and other ground types decently but I felt Hydreigon's potential in this matchup was squandered so that's too bad.

Andyboy vs Quantum Tesseract: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8mixandmega-1111898543

My team is built around Altarianite Toxtricity breaking things open because it has no switch ins and Clefable buying free turns for it to come in on Corviknight by setting Rocks. Sablenite Mew is just standard bulky Calm Mind, Arcanine is Pins Howl with enough speed to outspeed Adamant Lucario I felt that was very important for the team considering my Lucario matchup. Corvi is standard Venu Defog with Iron Head so you actually beat Clef, i'm tempted to hide the Hydreigon but whatever it's a set Catalystic came up with in Glalite Nasty Plot. The idea is that your coverage is good enough to afford Roost and you OHKO Clef from full with +2 Hyper Voice while also outspeeding Lucarionite Chandy and Excadrill. The team is fairly slow so I saw that as potentially problematic but it covered all the bases I wanted and had the tools to lure teams with Hydreigon and Arcanine and blow open defensive cores with Toxtricity. QT's team seems to be built around the busted offensive core of Zeraora and Kyurem Zeraora pivots around vs defensive guys and lets in Kyurem to click buttons and freeze everything. He also has Clefable and what I was assuming to be Altarianite Arcanine but if he fears Exca it could be Pinsirite. Mew could be Sablenite and Corvi Venu but I assumed it was Sab Corvi and Manectite Mew. Looking at the matchup, Sablenite Mew is horrifying for QT he has absolutely no counterplay unless Clefable is Toxic if it isn't, this is likely a loss to Sab Mew there is very little he can do. Hydreigon has the potential to lure Clefable if I hide my set from him otherwise, Arc fully walls me. Toxtricity always has the potential to punch holes but Arcanine's removal makes its job way easier and my Pins Arcanine can also win this game fairly easily if Zeraora is chipped. On QT's side, Kyurem + Zeraora is always going to be a threat I have a deterrent in my Venu Corvi but I don't have many good ways to force it out besides bluffing i'm Alt Arcanine or a Hydreigon that can hit Kyurem before I mega. I wasn't worried about anything else on his team besides the possibility of Kyurem freezing things and making my life miserable.
I lead with my Sablenite Mew because I want to get the Sablenite activated asap to avoid the risk of Arcanine Toxic when I come in and because it really has next to no risk to getting it in early. If he hards into Clefable when I start Calm Minding I gather intel that it's Toxic and if he doesn't he probably loses. He leads Kyurem which immediately makes me scared because if he freezes my Mew that probably wins this game turn 1 that's a huge setback. I have Scald but being forced to go for that means I need to switch out and get Mew back in to Scald on something else in the future. Thankfully he doesn't and I get my CM and at this point I think it is definitely QT's best play to go for another Ice Beam on my Roost as freezing or critting my mew early is one of the only ways he can manage to get around it but he switches to Zeraora on my Roost. Turn 3 some may wonder why I didn't just Calm Mind again so I could kill Arcanine with +2 Scald and tank Kyurem hits better but the reason I Psychic'd was because I feared Pinsirite Zeraora. It had the ability to live a +2 Psychic, Bulk Up, and 2HKO Mew with Mega Kick from that range so I just wanted to avoid that possibility and get the Zeraora out of there. He reveals Metagrossite and Plasma Fists me as I Psychic and kill him with a crit. That was actually bad for me as him revealing he was Metagrossite would have allowed me to grab a second CM and instead i'm stuck at one. Arcanine comes in, i'm aware of the possibility of Howl but i'm potentially in range of Espeed + Flare Blitz range from that percent so I felt the risk of him Howling on my Roost was well worth it. He shows he is Howl and goes for his Espeed into Flare Blitz Combo and comes up 1% short. That sucked for him for sure and I commend him for getting into a scenario where he even had a chance to beat the Mew but I calced the rolls and he got a lowish Espeed roll into a high Flare Blitz roll and it was in my favor to live that combo.

The next few turns Clef comes in and sets rocks and dies. I could have greeded more CM's so that I can kill Kyurem at +5 and mitigate the risk of Ice Beam freeze but I wanted the Clef gone, 2HKO'd Kyurem at +2, and felt the game was far enough gone at that point where even if he did crit or freeze my Mew the offensive tools I had were too strong for him to have a chance. Turn 12 Kyurem actually crits my Mew right away which I found mildy funny but i'm still not worried... yet. I bring in my Corvi to defog away his rocks I think he should have kept spamming Ice Beam because if he manages to freeze my Corvi things can actually get dicey for me as this Kyurem is hard for me to kill and this Corvi is really the only thing actually switching in. Instead, he brings in his Corvi and lets me pivot on him and that's 100% it. Toxtricity comes in and gets its Shift Gear off meaning Kyurem can't revenge anymore and the remaining damage is too great to overcome the massive hole carved by Sab Mew. This game doesn't really show much other than how important Sab Mew prep is right now. It has the potential to beat teams by itself if you don't have something that stops it from snowballing right away. Toxtricity kinda did cool things too and showed hows strong it is by doing 72 to a Manec Mew and 79 to a Sablenite Corviknight. I think it's also interesting how different this game could have been if QT's Kyurem was just a bit luckier and got a freeze or two and that is the reason myself and many others hate Kyurem in this meta.

That's all if you read all of this kudos to you I had fun writing it and felt this week was... maybe the best set of games for MnM but i'm not sure about that. I'm not gonna preview this week's matches this is already way too long but good luck to my fellow MnM competitors this week and everyone else participating hopefully we have all good games this week (probably not)...

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I miss motherlove :(, also thanks Clefable for help on some of these bc I was too lazy to do all of these, ones that mengy did will be marked with a *

The Money Magearnas (Funbot28, GL Volkner) - [2][4] - The Head Honchkrows (Jrdn, aesf)

SS Almost Any Ability: Fardin vs aesf - Fardin in the aaa slot seems calculated since this is his first week in this slot so far, does this mean fardin is the aesf slayer? aesf care to comment? Do you think managers funbun28 and posvolkner have been saving aaa fardin for this week to knock you out of the troublesome threesome of the om community? I'm bolding fardin.
SS Balanced Hackmons: GL Volkner vs highlighter - highlighter only had like a year off of this game while GL Volkner hasn't played in 2 weeks, volt will have more rust for sure bc he's just naturally a worse player/builder/person/presence/etc. Rust doesn't exist in this community unless it's GL Volkner we're talm bout, highlighter in 4.
SS Camomons: Matiss98 vs Jrdn - mattress vs air jordan, if you jump on a mattress wearing jordans you might think the mattress loses more in retail value, but actually once worn jordans halve the price, so therefore the baguette wins.*
SS Mix and Mega: Gmansour20 vs Redflix - gman looks like manga and redflix looks like netflix but you can watch anime on netflix so netflix wins*
SS NFE: Crystalites vs frisoeva - Mengy wrote something for this as well but I'm too lazy to find it in texts and I just wanna post this shit already. I flipped a coin bc idc about this mu in the first place and it said friso will win >:-O. How does it feel being disregarded and forgotten Clefable
SS STABmons: Funbot28 vs Cam - I'd normally bold cam w/o contest but his power level is decreasing rapidly due to upper staff deleting prooms at a never-before-seen pace. Cam's e-peen is shrinking by the second and if upper staff doesn't stop soon his pocket monsters prowess might cease to live up to it's former glory. Despite this I will bold cameron

The Temper Tyrantrums (OM, drampa's grandpa) - [3][3] - The Crown Jewel Corviknights (SBPC, Andyboy)

SS Almost Any Ability: The Number Man vs Thinkerino - Ohh I had no idea the number guy was in ompl, he was my aaa ssnl opp and i gave him the win. He seemed like a nice guy so I already have more of a basis to go off of than I do w/ think bc idk him at all. I'm confident numero señor will slaughter with never-before-seen aaa prowess.
SS Balanced Hackmons: Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) vs MAMP - Gotta bold mamp bc his dogshit teammate stole his swag this week with that weird mnm post that nobody asked for.
SS Camomons: Akashi vs MetaRiolu7 - p sure meta guy is better at mons AND has thimo + terra feeding him otr sun screen teams on the low just like every other slot, should be a 6-0
SS Mix and Mega: Skysolo vs Andyboy - LMAO LMFAO ROFL LOOOOL etc, skysolo beat 2019 agpl vivalospride, something which pussyboy500 cannot say he has done. Should be a rather quick one with skysolo using handy "bitch" manny's head as a mop all game. Sorry for being so harsh but i'm just confused as to why this club penguin pizza flipper is drafted for ompl every year.
SS NFE: Monsareeasy vs Thimo - Upon first looking at the guy on the left's name I thought it was some french word or something but it's actually just "mons are easy", I will bold him bc I feel bad for being illiterate and judging his name previously. Btw free Marjane
SS STABmons: Plas vs Terracotta - idrk what to say for this one, both users are chads to some extent, in fact im willing to bet terra's actual first name is chad and that's the only thing in the world he's ever been embarrassed about or some shit. But now I feel bad bc that last sentence could be taken negatively towards terra and I like terra so now I'm gonna bold him.

The Pandemic Parasects (Catalystic, Sylveon.) - [4][2] - The Malevolent Misdreavuses (Chazm, Euphonos)

SS Almost Any Ability: Sabella vs rozes - I really love booty a lot but unfortunately I have to give the nod to bitchzes (haha :D) due to superior meta knowledge and relative playing ability. If rozes plays on any account other than volknerd he will probably lose tho, he loses 70% of aaa knowledge when not on that account I've heard.
SS Balanced Hackmons: DF-Shock vs abriel gabram - I think mengy wrote something for this one but I don't remember any of it other than the fact that he called the dtf-shock guy "Dock Fock" so I will bold him instead of the grammar guy.
SS Camomons: Sylveon. vs Euphonos - Wow what a matchup. I'd like the camomons council member himself (clarion the wizard aka Euphonos) to put up a good fight, maybe see it come down to one mon or even a dub... but geerat is indeed part of the troublesome threesome of the om community. I have a hard time bolding against him in any context.
SS Mix and Mega: MultiAmmiratore vs Chazm - Chazm has been a rather controversial figure in this tournament so far, clearly hacking my brain last week so I forgot that pressure corv had the ability to trap and beat ferrothorn. Cheating is NOT cool chazm, pls refrain from doing that in the future. I will let you off the hook with a mere one point infraction.
SS NFE: TJ vs Tack :] - These two users' names make it clear who's got more clout on this pokemon forum. TJ would be a very sought after name and Tack is over here adding ":]" to his name instead of just having "Tack" bc he doesn't have the necessary clout to remove the :]. With this in mind I'm bolding tack bc fuck the smogon elitists.
SS STABmons: Zesty43 vs Lasen - zest comes from a lemon and lasen sounds like lemon, so this is a battle of lemons. but really lasen doesnt sound that much like lemon, so zesty has much more to do with lemons and wins the lemon battle*

Betathunder get over here boy. Bring a scarf keldeo this time and see what happens you mother fucker piece of rat bastard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)