Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Also I can't be the only one who played a majority of Mario Odyssey in handheld?
Nah, I'm same, I have terrifying problems with flinging stuff, to me Let's Go for example is borderline unplayable docked.

That said, to go back to your question: if a game doesn't explicitly require to fling your controllers around (aka, can be played handheld), it can be played on the Lite.
The only games that can't be played on the Lite are essentially the handful of games that *require* the motion controls of the joypads.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I'm curious - has anyone ever broken down the AI of in-game opponents in a way which explains in layman's terms the levels of stupidity (or lack thereof) of enemies? Just wondering why in XD opponents are incapable of recognising Lightningrod whereas in Emerald, they will completely avoid using Electric moves so long as a Lightningrodder is on the field.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm curious - has anyone ever broken down the AI of in-game opponents in a way which explains in layman's terms the levels of stupidity (or lack thereof) of enemies? Just wondering why in XD opponents are incapable of recognising Lightningrod whereas in Emerald, they will completely avoid using Electric moves so long as a Lightningrodder is on the field.
In "layman's terms", no. Any research you find will be just the raw script code.

What happens if a Pokémon with Sheer Force uses Scale Shot? Does it get the power boost? If so, are the stat changing affects completely stopped or does it lower the user's Defense without raising its Speed?

What happens if a Pokémon with Sheer Force uses Scale Shot? Does it get the power boost? If so, are the stat changing affects completely stopped or does it lower the user's Defense without raising its Speed?
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sheer_Force_(Ability)

Scale shot is not included in the list thus it's likely not affected. Possibly due to the buff effect not being a chance to activate as side effect but just being a actual effect of the move.

(btw i'd point that Druddigon legitimately gets the combination without requiring any hack and it's easy to find in the wild in SwSh if you want to check yourself)

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sheer_Force_(Ability)

Scale shot is not included in the list thus it's likely not affected. Possibly due to the buff effect not being a chance to activate as side effect but just being a actual effect of the move.

(btw i'd point that Druddigon legitimately gets the combination without requiring any hack and it's easy to find in the wild in SwSh if you want to check yourself)
Sheer Force probably doesn't ignore Scale Shot because it's tied to a debuff. You'll note that things like Overheat or Superpower, moves that lower your stats, aren't effected either

I think Scale Shot is the only move that does damage, lowers a stat, AND raises a stat

So it's kind of in a unique position, and they erred on "it lowers a stat, so we wont affect it"
I think it's more of "does the secondary effect affect the user or the target?". Scale Shot's effects affect the user of the move, as do moves like Overheat. Moves where the secondary effect happens to the user of the move are not affected by Sheer Force.

Meanwhile, any move that has a secondary effect that affects the target of the move, such as Rock Tomb, Bulldoze, Thunderbolt, etc., is affected by Sheer Force.

I think it's more of "does the secondary effect affect the user or the target?". Scale Shot's effects affect the user of the move, as do moves like Overheat. Moves where the secondary effect happens to the user of the move are not affected by Sheer Force.

Meanwhile, any move that has a secondary effect that affects the target of the move, such as Rock Tomb, Bulldoze, Thunderbolt, etc., is affected by Sheer Force.
Look at the list again, moves that buff the user are affected. Power-Up Punch, Ancient Power, Dragon Claw, Charge Beam, etc

The rule of thumb is "would the effect be beneficial to the user" so anything that powers you up or would negatively effect the opponent is affected by Sheer Force.

Sparkling Aria, which has a secondary effect that is (standardly) beneficial to the target, is still affected by Sheer Force.

Sheer Force already has a giant edge case with items/abilities that add extra effects having their effects cancelled if and only if the mon is using a move that would normally be affected by Sheer Force. I'm not sure scale shot was deliberately considered for what it does with Sheer Force, it probably just lacks some specific flag.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Scale Shot is a tricky case, I think it's excluded because, as R_N said, it's the only move which has a batch of traits to it: It's a damaging move, a multi-attack move, a self-buff move, and a self-debuff move. It's a move wearing a lot of hats GF considered balanced but now we're talking about removing a block in this Jenga puzzle.

Hypothetically, going by the rules of other moves, had Scale Shot been affected by Sheer Force it would become a multi-move with a Power of 32.5 but decreases the user's Defense stat each time it hits (Sheer Force would have removed the Speed increasing attribute). That would make it the highest Power multi-hit move, since it strikes 2-5 times it would have the effective Power of:

2 Hits/35%: 65 (normally 50)
3 Hits/35%: 97.5 (normally 75)
4 Hits/15%: 130 (normally 100)
5 Hits/15%: 162.5 (normally 125)
Weighted Average: 100.75 (normally 77.5)

Note the only other multi-hit move affected by Sheer Force is Twineelde (because it Poisons, all others either have no affect or their affect is more of a passive trait) which only hits two times with a Power of 25, so it's not doing much damage (if anything removing the chance to Poison removes what little thing makes this move unique).

Now, many would argue the Defense increase without added Speed should be enough of a counter to the increased damage output, but I think that one is besides the point. As the saying goes, the best defense is a good offense. You give this move to a high Attack dragon that's either already fast carrying a Power increasing item or one with decent Speed carrying a Speed increasing item and you now have a dragon that 90% of the time hitting the opponent with a Move that is as powerful as a Z-Move/Max Move each turn. Only thing that would stand a chance would be Fairy-types but that's because they're immune. Also, being a multi-hit move, it gets a few additional benefits:
  1. Each shot has its own chance of being a Critical Hit adding a little more Power for each one.
  2. It "gets around" Substitute, Focus Sash, Focus Band, & Sturdy.
It was likely Scale Shot was skipped over because it was considered just TOO powerful when the numbers were ran. Sure, the user would be a sitting duck (or rather a sitting drake), but after they get to -6 Defense they got nothing else to lose and if they can hit their opponent hard enough to OHKO that's not gonna be a problem is it?

BTW, this is pretty much a "future proofing" decision. I think the only Sheer Force user that can learn Scale Shot is Druddigon and even if Scale Shot was affected I don't think Druddigon would be a force to deal with (maybe on a Trick Room team, but otherwise). Moving forward I think we can add multi-hit moves akin to Scale Shot (can hit up to 5 times) will not get a Sheer Force boost. Now, as we've seen with Twineedle, maybe a 2-hit and maybe even a 3-hit Move could still, but that remains to be seen.

So I went to two GameStop stores and neither had Zacian codes and I'm pretty fed up. I'm gonna try to do the GameUk thing instead. Does anybody know if there could be any consequences to doing that?

So I went to two GameStop stores and neither had Zacian codes and I'm pretty fed up. I'm gonna try to do the GameUk thing instead. Does anybody know if there could be any consequences to doing that?
The consequence is you will get your codes (pending no Zarude-dada-like snafus) and your shiny wolf/wolves.

I got my original Zarude code from gamestop Ireland or something after the newsletter never arrived. No issues.

Is there a web page that summarizes pokemon/ability/move combos that you can only get on Let's Go Eevee/Pikachu? A general answer would be fine too if y'all know off the top of your head.

My guess: Teleport, general HA access, idk

This is a very specific question, but did any Pokemon lose egg moves between Gen 5 and Gen 6? Bonus points if the Pokemon completely lost access to the move as a result, even if it got it back in a later generation.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This is a very specific question, but did any Pokemon lose egg moves between Gen 5 and Gen 6? Bonus points if the Pokemon completely lost access to the move as a result, even if it got it back in a later generation.
I don't see why they would. Apparently Gen 8 removed certain Egg Moves due to, at the time, just not getting those Egg Moves being possible due to dexit. But couldn't find anything on Gen 6 removing Egg Moves.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Does Synchronize work on the gift Jirachi/Mew in BDSP?
Yes.

To Surmise:
  • Synchronize works on Gift Pokemon.
  • Synchronize is 100% of forcing the nature on Wild Pokemon. (Same as Gen 8).
  • Synchronize works on the Underground Wild Pokemon*
*However as Underground Pokemon details are generated when you enter the room, your Sync pokemon must be the lead when you enter the room.
Once you're inside it doesn't matter if you swap leads, the Pokemon in the room will still all have the nature of your Sync pokemon.

Edit: It also works on Legendary/Static encounters such as Dialga/Palkia and Spiritomb

So I've been doing the long trainer fly glitch and the cinnabar missingno glitch to get infinite items and stuff. Last thing I think I did that might've made the old man to go away was fighting oak?
I used a cyclist on cycling road and the girl on the route east of Fuschia who starts with a bellsprout to do the ditto glitch to fight Oak. other than that glitch I did several cinnabar coast surfing to boost my items. Oh and when I blacked out against the second trainer I DID end up at Indigo Plateau as I had just beaten the E4 beforehand. I usually did Celadon's Center but forgot.
I never did anything in Virdian City other than talking to the old man, so anyone have an idea what happened? Could a gameshark fix this? I need him back.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This probably could have been asked in the SQSA thread.

Don't know if a GameShark would be able to bring him back unless you maybe use it to reset Viridian City somehow. However the GameShark can likely activate the tutorial battle thus placing your trainer's name in the location data all the same. Of course if you're using GameShark you might as well just use it to spawn the Pokemon or duplicate the items you want.

Screenshot 2021-11-27 051408.jpg

What's the deal with this Chewtle? Apparently Team Rocket has some gacha gimmick in the show, and this Chewtle is part of the long list Bulbapedia has of Pokemon they've gotten from this machine, but it seems way more significant than any of the other Pokemon listed, by virtue of it seemingly being the only recurring Pokemon they've gotten from the thing, and it also sounds like it didn't even come from the machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 0)