Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the forum: https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/xy-ou-teams.261/
and some nice offensive and hyper offensive teams:
this team is build around mpinsir, also featuring a sand offence core: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...the-ladder-u-fgts.3507315/page-2#post-5633622

this one is around mega zard Y, used by valentine in SPL: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/force-of-nature-an-in-depth-guide-to-zard-y.3501476/

this one is a hyper offensive team bý jirachee, this team i believe is properly the easiest to use for a not as experienced player (sorry if i assume wrong here) bc of no choiced pokes, as well as no crippling sr weakness: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/jiraite.3512328/

Thank you. Ive looked through these boards tho and ive even posted in multiple others. I appreciate you all trying to help but I dont really want to use a bunch of other peoples teams. And in fact, the teams you listed here besides the last one arent even really HO teams. I was more interested in learning how to build and play teams, not how to build and play a specific team someone else uses.

Thank you. Ive looked through these boards tho and ive even posted in multiple others. I appreciate you all trying to help but I dont really want to use a bunch of other peoples teams. And in fact, the teams you listed here besides the last one arent even really HO teams. I was more interested in learning how to build and play teams, not how to build and play a specific team someone else uses.
well, there are really no definition of HO, also HO have dropped a bit in viability after the deo-ban. and further more, if you want to be able to built successful teams, theres really no other way than to try stuff out. Team building guides help, and the threats i showed all included the team building procces. so yeah...

Is it just me, or Showdown is down?
I tried in the downloadable version, on chrome, Mozilla, on an Ipad and on a Mac and none loads PS!

Hey I noticed that in order to participate in certain laddering tournaments and contests one "must have a fresh alt to play with". What does that mean does that mean if i attend a tournament i have to make a new account entirely and ladder from the start? Or is there a way to reset ranking?

Hey I noticed that in order to participate in certain laddering tournaments and contests one "must have a fresh alt to play with". What does that mean does that mean if i attend a tournament i have to make a new account entirely and ladder from the start? Or is there a way to reset ranking?
You're allowed to have alternate accounts that you use solely for one thing (or multiple things, up to you). You keep your other account too, so you can just use the alt for the tournament and go back to your main when you want to start laddering again.

You're allowed to have alternate accounts that you use solely for one thing (or multiple things, up to you). You keep your other account too, so you can just use the alt for the tournament and go back to your main when you want to start laddering again.
Alright thanks a lot!

What are some good lures for Bulky Rotom-W and Ferrothorn? I know Ferrothorn is basically "SURPRISE FIRE BLAST" but I'm hoping someone can give some specific, fairly unusual examples for that (i.e., something other than Garchomp).

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
What are some good lures for Bulky Rotom-W and Ferrothorn? I know Ferrothorn is basically "SURPRISE FIRE BLAST" but I'm hoping someone can give some specific, fairly unusual examples for that (i.e., something other than Garchomp).
Maybe Slowbro for Ferrothorn?

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I like it, and in fact I think I'll try that. (still open to other suggestions, too.) Any ideas for Rotom?
Surprise Energy ball I guess. Can't think of any good specifics atm though. In my experience it's a tad unexpected on Alakazam (who isn't that good as a Rotom lure), it also works on Chandelure (who isn't that good in roles where he should consider running it) and I just noticed Medicham learns it as well (probably too much lol here)

I like it, and in fact I think I'll try that. (still open to other suggestions, too.) Any ideas for Rotom?
Some people use Azumarill to lure in Rotom, and then have Return>Knock Off to almost kill it on the switch, and then finish with Aqua Jet. It might seem a little like it only has 1 use, but it works extremely well for Rotom.

I'm confused about what you mean. A tier between RU + NU wouldn't exactly work out, because the only place for Pokemon with low usage in RU to go is NU. PU is a tier that has been talked about being implemented, which is basically the NU of NU. But support hasn't been high enough to make it official. I think RU was created because of a) the large about of new mons, and b) popular support, two things that are currently lacked for PU, at least to my understanding.
I assumed that NU would stay the bottom tier since what would be less used than a Pokemon that is /never/ used? I was thinking the current NU would become BU (barely used) or whatever, and the new NU would be below BU and encompass Pokemon the Pokemon that are underused in the current NU metagame.

Also, how would one give support to a PU (or BU, since I just don't like saying "PU" as the name for a tier (and it doesn't make sense for anything to be below NU, semantically))?

Some people use Azumarill to lure in Rotom, and then have Return>Knock Off to almost kill it on the switch, and then finish with Aqua Jet. It might seem a little like it only has 1 use, but it works extremely well for Rotom.
But Play Rough hits Rotom harder than Return anyway? 90x1.5=135, vs. 102.

A good lure for ferro is as you mentioned fire blast garchomp, HP fire latios can also work as a good lure. as for rotom, surprise grasstype attack is a good lure, powerherb solar beam heatran can work for that.

Ferrothorn:
fire punch dragonite (of fireblast/flamethrower)¨
Fire blast ttar
Superpowew banded ttar
Superpower azumarill (though fairly usual)
Hp fire greninja (same as superpower ttar)
Sharp beak talonflame (surprise with changing move)

Rotom:
(it does not have any crippling and common weaknesses, as it only have grass, which is not a common attacking type compared to fighting and fire)
Power beam heatran
Gravity landorus

i cant think off too many, sorry ;(

But Play Rough hits Rotom harder than Return anyway? 90x1.5=135, vs. 102.
Derp, meant to say Talonflame. Return does a hell of a lot on the swirch and should kill on the second hit. Return could be used over Tailwind. It seems gimmiky, but its only purpose is to lure in and kill Rotom.

Derp, meant to say Talonflame. Return does a hell of a lot on the swirch and should kill on the second hit. Return could be used over Tailwind. It seems gimmiky, but its only purpose is to lure in and kill Rotom.
Return: 102 BP
Brave bird: 120*1.5*0.5= 90 effective BP... So yeah

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
If you're using Talonflame as a Rotom lure, you could better use Liechi Natural Gift (turns into a Grass-type attack iirc, if not it's another berry ^_^)
SoulRed12

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
Ones again... It's only 90 base power move, that is very situational... Though it is the best lure...
100 BP actually. If you SD on the switch (which you should), it hits quite hard ^.^ (80-95% on 252/212+ Rotom). It also hits Tyranitar and Quagsire, so it's not useless outside of Rotom (but yeah, it's still quite situational and a textbook example of a lure, but if your team has problems with any of those it works well, plus it's getting an analysis - that's how I even knew about it lol)

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Definitely go with the Swords Dance + Liechi Natural Gift that The Dutch Plumberjack suggested. I've used the set multiple times to success and it's really good in tandem with sweepers that like Rotom-W gone (e.g. Mega Pinsir).
Ones again... It's only 90 base power move, that is very situational... Though it is the best lure...
It's not too situational to not be used. On an SD Talonflame set the only move you're giving up is Roost, which does nothing to hurt your offensive prowess in any way and just necessitates slightly more hazard control. And as The Dutch Plumberjack stated, it hits Tyranitar, Quagsire, AND Rotom-W, which is huge. Quagsire is the bane of so many physical boosting Pokemon, and having such an excellent lure in Liechi Natural Gift Talonflame can be a real game-stealing part of the team.

Lumari

empty spaces
TFP Leader
Anyone know how much longer we'll have to wait until we know the results of the Aegislash suspect test?
Aldaron posted 23 hours ago that he would call the vote in 24 hours. I.e. approx. one hour ^_^ (well could be a tad longer naturally)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)