Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn't Band/Scarf Victini more used in OU?

I liked this idea of Natural Gift Talonflame. But a question, is the Berry Consumed after Natural Gift?

I liked this idea of Natural Gift Talonflame. But a question, is the Berry Consumed after Natural Gift?
Most psychic types were knocked out of OU because of Aegislash, although that looks subject to change.
And yeah, the berry is consumed.

Is another suspect test in preparation or will there be a wait before the next one ?
The suspects have been coming fairly quickly one after another, and there are a number of pokemon that have been already identified by the community as needing testing, so while it may not be right away, it will probably be fairly soon.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
All i can really say is it's a bad ladder. Both sets are really good in OU, however Dark spam is annoying for it. It however can check Medicham and Gardevoir which is useful for offensive teams. I'd definitely recommend using it.
Yes
Is another suspect test in preparation or will there be a wait before the next one ?
I don't know how fast it'll come, but I'm pretty sure the M-Mawile next suspect will be by next week.

I'm not sure if this question should go into the OU thread specifically, but I'm not sure where it fits. When I used Smogon a few years ago, people used to post individual battles along with a turn-by-turn analysis to describe their thought processes behind each move (similar to RMT's). I can't find them anymore and I'd be interested in reading them to possibly fix some of my issues like why I suck at using setup sweepers in OU :p. Thanks for any help!

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
Currently I'm using Adamant Mold Breaker Excradrill, with 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spd Ev's, does it outspeed the average Rotom Wash, or I need to take some HP's ev's out for speed ev's?

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Currently I'm using Adamant Mold Breaker Excradrill, with 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Spd Ev's, does it outspeed the average Rotom Wash, or I need to take some HP's ev's out for speed ev's?
It's kind of difficult determining what the "average" Rotom-W spread is, as usage-wise most people tend to run 0 Speed (in which case your Excadrill outspeeds). However, an arguably better Rotom-W spread has 44 Speed EVs to outspeed Jolly Azumarill, and as you get into higher ladder play you'll start to see more of these 44 Speed Rotom-W sets. To outspeed 44 Speed Rotom-W, Excadrill will need 32 EVs in Speed.

I'm not sure if this question should go into the OU thread specifically, but I'm not sure where it fits. When I used Smogon a few years ago, people used to post individual battles along with a turn-by-turn analysis to describe their thought processes behind each move (similar to RMT's). I can't find them anymore and I'd be interested in reading them to possibly fix some of my issues like why I suck at using setup sweepers in OU :p. Thanks for any help!
I think you might be thinking of this, the warstory archive.

OMFG GAIZ AEGISLASH IS BANNED LELKEK STOOPID SMOGEN CAn"T BEAT EM SO THEY BAN EM GIT GUD NUUBS

And the above statement is going to pop up all over 4chan, gamefaqs, and pokemon forums everywhere.
I usually like to argue with anti smogonites, as a majority of them are really stupid, but this is a ban I haven't understood myself. It's got an endless list of checks, albeit no specific counters b/c mixed set. It's offensive sets, despite bulky due to shield forme, are still 2HKO'd by half the tier. It's got a neat defensive typing, but a weakness to pursuit, knock off, and sucker punch, along with overly common fire and ground moves and a pseudo-protect which doesn't cover it from status and such.

EDIT: worse still, it's not team-limiting, is it? I don't think too many people run specific counters for aegislash. However, the only time I've ever changed my team specifically for aegi is by running fire punch on medicham (which has other uses by itself, reliably checking skarm and ferro is one)

Could someone help me out? I have a feeling I'm getting somewhere but I'm still not so sure.

Last edited:

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
OMFG GAIZ AEGISLASH IS BANNED LELKEK STOOPID SMOGEN CAn"T BEAT EM SO THEY BAN EM GIT GUD NUUBS

And the above statement is going to pop up all over 4chan, gamefaqs, and pokemon forums everywhere.
I usually like to argue with anti smogonites, as a majority of them are really stupid, but this is a ban I haven't understood myself. It's got an endless list of checks, albeit no specific counters b/c mixed set. It's offensive sets, despite bulky due to shield forme, are still 2HKO'd by half the tier. It's got a neat defensive typing, but a weakness to pursuit, knock off, and sucker punch, along with overly common fire and ground moves and a pseudo-protect which doesn't cover it from status and such.

Could someone help me out? I have a feeling I'm getting somewhere but I'm still not so sure.
The reasoning behind the ban from what I gathered in the forum about it's suspect test was basically along the lines of that it was a 50/50 mon with the potential to wreck any team that is not prepared. I personally do not agree with this, especially with knock off being so present in the current meta game (That buff was amazing) as well as EQ and Earth Power. It gets checked by many things indeed, but the players of Smogon decided that it was detrimental to the meta and removed it.

Hey I really don't know where else to ask this question but here goes nothing....

Normally Pokes banned from OU don't get dropped until the start of the next generation but since the aegi suspect was so close and ORAS is coming around the corner are could it be possible to retest aegi ir him dropping if the metagame doesn't change or modify itself for the better? Just wondering not that I don't agree with the ban it was just super close and could have gone either way unlike a lot of suspects in the past.

Hey I really don't know where else to ask this question but here goes nothing....

Normally Pokes banned from OU don't get dropped until the start of the next generation but since the aegi suspect was so close and ORAS is coming around the corner are could it be possible to retest aegi ir him dropping if the metagame doesn't change or modify itself for the better? Just wondering not that I don't agree with the ban it was just super close and could have gone either way unlike a lot of suspects in the past.
It would depend on what actually gets altered in ORAS. Some mons might be more viable with their HA, either against or in spite of Aegis, and there could be new Move Tutors.

Different question. I recall last Gen some Landorus-T sets could run Naive w/ HP Ice to lure Gliscor. Given the HP nerf and Gliscors starting to run Sp Def sets, would that still be at all worth it?

What outclasses Swampert? I want to use it for Stealth Rock and to stop Heatran, steels and Talonflame. I would go Quagsire or Gas but they don't get SR
Heatran also fits this role but you need to make sure that opposing heatrans don't have Earth Power.

The reasoning behind the ban from what I gathered in the forum about it's suspect test was basically along the lines of that it was a 50/50 mon with the potential to wreck any team that is not prepared. I personally do not agree with this, especially with knock off being so present in the current meta game (That buff was amazing) as well as EQ and Earth Power. It gets checked by many things indeed, but the players of Smogon decided that it was detrimental to the meta and removed it.
While most offensive knock off users 2HKO aegislash (haven't seen an OHKO yet in all my calcs) It could go both ways, seeing that it may be running KS, or it may be using WP, proceeding to force you out/sweep you. Or it may predict your prediction, and use the free turn you use to setup in the face of a possible KS to do an SD. Hell, it may be running stall as well, which is a different set of mays altogether. punpunpunpunpun *shot*

So is that what it is? The fact that it can run too many viable sets for the metagame to handle? ... can't many pokemon do that? What makes aegislash different?

Also could someone provide me a link to the thread where the OU council of smogon pronounced their verdict? I've heard about the Aegis ban by word of mouth so I'm still not 100% sure.

Last edited:

slayerx725232

"to sea, or not to sea" ~Melodramatic Sailor
While most offensive knock off users 2HKO aegislash (haven't seen an OHKO yet in all my calcs) It could go both ways, seeing that it may be running KS, or it may be using WP, proceeding to force you out/sweep you. Or it may predict your prediction, and use the free turn you use to setup in the face of a possible KS to do an SD. Hell, it may be running stall as well, which is a different set of mays altogether. punpunpunpunpun *shot*

So is that what it is? The fact that it can run too many viable sets for the metagame to handle? ... can't many pokemon do that? What makes aegislash different?

Also could someone provide me a link to the thread where the OU council of smogon pronounced their verdict? I've heard about the Aegis ban by word of mouth so I'm still not 100% sure.
Yes the fact that it forces so many 50/50s with the potential to sweep is the reason behind it's ban. And it does it in such a way that no other Pokemon can compete with the mindgames it brings. Say you were to mispredict and hit it on a turn where it KS'ed, you're screwed asyou are left with a -2 Attack drop, and the Aegis no longer has to fear your Knock Off, allowing it to set up if that is the set it runs. And here is the post where it is officially said that Aegislash is banned, said by the OU council leader, Aldaron: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ng-round-5-ghost-of-perdition.3511596/page-70 (Scroll to the bottom of the page, the stuff above it is more mindless bantering about Aegislashs uses.)

I have a huge bone to pick with the damn 50/50 argument, and I had a post explaining all my thoughts about it in the suspect thread (among many other posts), but I can't be bothered to dig it up. Ultimately, it doesn't matter anymore anyway so it would be wasted effort. Anyone interested in the reasons behind the ban as well as the pushback against the ban should probably just read through random pages of the thread where everyone put forth their best arguments. (and not so great arguments, but w/e) IMO there's no point in rehashing everything in this thread/turning it into an extension of the now-locked suspect thread.

Just gonna leave this here.

Ajwf said:
While it is true aegi has overwhelming amount of "pseudostats", at the end of the day that's what it is: Fake stats. Remember that even by your own argument, 150 won't be used any turn due to only using special or physical. Secondly, this applies only if Aegi is slower. While this is common, that doesn't mean we can discount pokemon like Mega Mawile from the equation, who is far slower.

The HP stat holds it back. While coupled with some insane defense, it still is OHKOd by Bisharp's knock off 70% of the time (and guaranteed with any prior damage).

150 attack/special is devestating, but both can't be invested (or never are) as his HP stat would be worthless then. More importantly, Aegi possesses no good boosting set. SD+3 attacks? I have yet to face one or see one perform in such a way to justify it. There's no special boosting (which is an honest godsend for the meta). With the bulk, there is also no recover move. Limited to his natural bulk and generally limited to his natural attack, he's just an incredibly bulky pivot, slightly resembling a more specially bulky Landorus-T.

Yes, the sets are generally an issue. However, this is comparable to 5th gen Kyub. A set to beat everything but not everything beaten by a set. Only Amoongus really can hold claim to true Aegi countering. However, Chesnaught, Mandibuzz, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Gyarados-m (esp when mega evolving) all can hold claim to countering MANY sets. As in, most of them very rarely lose to it. Kyub did stall worse last gen, having exactly one stall mon that could beat it with any consistency (jirachi). Aegi's bulk allows him to generally take one SE move (from something not named Bisharp or roughly comparable to...) but he has no way to prepare for the second or guarantee the kill. For attackers like Landorus, Garchomp or any of the common EQ users, he's pretty easy to check down. Yes, you're going to have an issue switching in if he spams shadow ball, but then again try switching into a Landorus... or any powerful attacker. To be honest, hearing the arguments for the past month of "Oh, Chesnaught? Flash Cannon Aegi! Mandi? Head Smash Aegi! All Beaten" is garbage because A. Sets are uncommon and B. Aegi doesn't have a bag of holding for move slots.

King's Shield is interesting. As aegi's single most important move to most sets, it is hard to take a loss -2 and the momentum swing is fairly ridiculous. However, what's coming in on Aegi that is so worried about KS? Most Aegi checks SPECIFICALLY run non contact moves. Aka EQ. Aka Special moves like fire blast. Aka Sucker Punch. The Metagame has adapted enough that this is a general non-factor.

Aegi is obviously strong. Strong enough to force other mons to be unviable. HOWEVER, this is no different from any other really fantastic mon. Hmm, I can't FATHOM why infernape, Volcarona and Lucario are ALL UU now after one update... Couldn't possibly be Talonflame's doing... Probably Aegislash, right? You know what Starmie is? Outclassed. Outclassed as a spinner by Excadrill. Outclassed as a fast water type by Greninja. Explain to me why, even with Aegi gone, I'd use Starmie? Same for Medicham-mega when I can use Mega Mawile for power or a terrakion for better speed and fight coverage. Alakazam-mega is probably the only one I can see truly being inhibited by Aegislash on his own and I can also see talonflame restricting Alakazam badly.

This is almost humorous anymore. Sadly, we've got so many people who won't give it the time of day and the mentality of ban all suspected is already set in stone. However, I really don't see "Aegi inhibiting the metagame".
EDIT: Sorry for "huge discussion" of 4-5 replies

Last edited:
After the metagame develops more, we may go back and have another suspect to test if Aegislash fits in the new meta, once the real problems start getting rooted up it'll get its chance again, this has happened in several other generations. Honestly, there's not much more to it, therefore, there isn't really much to discuss, so stick to just asking questions.

Not trying to mini-mod, but there's no need for you guys to be having such huge discussions over something that won't change for a while, in a thread that's suppose to be for answering questions. Take the ban as a grain of salt, and play the tier, or leave.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
To try and bring the thread back, is HP Ice Landorus-T still at all usable to lure Gliscor?
Generally it isn't in the case of Gliscor. It's alright as a lure to handle other Landos and Garchomps, but that's exactly what it is, simply a lure. It's not the most viable options as generally it's Earthquake, u-turn, stone edge, and then the 4th slot would be dedicated to knock off or stealth rock primarily. Then again lures are not always bad so it solely depends on your team builds and what your goal is. Don't expect it to handle Gliscor reliably though.

Generally it isn't in the case of Gliscor. It's alright as a lure to handle other Lando-Ts and Garchomps, but that's exactly what it is, simply a lure. It's not the most viable options as generally it's Earthquake, u-turn, stone edge, and then the 4th slot would be dedicated to knock off or stealth rock primarily. Then again lures are not always bad so it solely depends on your team builds and what your goal is. Don't expect it to handle Gliscor reliably though.
Alright then. I was debating what to RNG Landorus as, so I think I'll go with Impish and Stealth Rock + Knock Off as tutor moves.

100 BP actually. If you SD on the switch (which you should), it hits quite hard ^.^ (80-95% on 252/212+ Rotom). It also hits Tyranitar and Quagsire, so it's not useless outside of Rotom (but yeah, it's still quite situational and a textbook example of a lure, but if your team has problems with any of those it works well, plus it's getting an analysis - that's how I even knew about it lol)
i did not say it was bad, i just said ''institutional'' but i did not think of it also hitting ttar and quaq ^^ but yeah... still takes a moveslot (over roost or flare blitz (roost)) and the item (over sharp beak etc.)

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
i did not say it was bad, i just said ''institutional'' but i did not think of it also hitting ttar and quaq ^^ but yeah... still takes a moveslot (over roost or flare blitz (roost)) and the item (over sharp beak etc.)
Sure, that's why it's a lure. Shouldn't be your first choice for a Talonflame set obviously (the set is BB/Flare Blitz/NG/SD), but it works if you want to remove one of those three mons and it can still pull its weight otherwise (not as well as the regular set, but still, it can)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)