Resource Other Metagames Index - Ask Questions Here!

Can you bring back triple battles as an other meta of the month? I really miss that game mode and it would be fun to play it with new Pokémon.
The popularity for triples even when it existed in-game was very low. You could try to see interest from the Metagame Workshop thread or by asking in the Other Metas chat on PS.

Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to submit OMs for past gens?
A past gens mega thread is something that is planned for the near future; there won’t be individual threads for every OM. So, to answer your question, no.

However, if you’re referring to a specific OM that is based on a particular generation like let’s say Gen 2 with abilities, that is fine to submit.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
A past gens mega thread is something that is planned for the near future; there won’t be individual threads for every OM. So, to answer your question, no.

However, if you’re referring to a specific OM that is based on a particular generation like let’s say Gen 2 with abilities, that is fine to submit.
Thanks for the quick response. I'll wait until the past gens thread then!

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
How To Submit a Metagame

General Rules

– You need to have at least 20 posts in the Other Metagames forum before you can submit. Use that time to become familiar with our community!
Does this include 1v1 and ZU?

Sectonia

But I set fire to the rain
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Does this include 1v1 and ZU?
This is a very late response, but generally, 1v1 and ZU are independent OMs, so they have separate communities as a result. You’re welcome to participate in those forums, but generally, posts in this specific section, not 1v1 and ZU, will be best.

This thread should be used for simple questions that need relatively simple answers, those kinds of questions rarely lead to meaningful conversation. If you were considering posting in a thread to ask "How can I use Eternamax Eternatus?" or making a new thread to ask "Where can I play OMs?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here. For in-game help/info check the Orange Islands subforum. This section is for competitive discussion only.

When posting in this thread, please follow these guidelines:
  • Make sure your question is relevant to Other Metagames.
  • Use the search feature to check if the question has been answered before.
  • Quote the question you are answering to help keep things organized.
  • Do not answer a question if you are unsure.
  • Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
Is it allowed to talk about metronome battles?

Out of curiosity, is usage data recorded for OMs each month the way it is for the mainstream metagames? I understand it wouldn't have much practical purpose since we rotate every month, but it would be neat to know what the OU/UU tiering would be for metas like CamoMons, Cross-Evolution, Flipped, etc. If it is recorded, where is it posted?

MAMP

MAMP!
Out of curiosity, is usage data recorded for OMs each month the way it is for the mainstream metagames? I understand it wouldn't have much practical purpose since we rotate every month, but it would be neat to know what the OU/UU tiering would be for metas like CamoMons, Cross-Evolution, Flipped, etc. If it is recorded, where is it posted?
It is! Usage stats for every ladder on showdown is stored here: https://www.smogon.com/stats/

Hi,
Sorry if it's not here to post my question.. I'm not English and it's really hard to find my answer in the forum..
So who choose the other metagame? The list between we choose in voting stage of the month? Maybe I'm not clear sorry...
Because. There are always the sames choice.. 350cup godly gift etc..
Is it because they re the only om code by the leaders? Because I really like FORTEMON or POKEBILITIES in Gen7 om and since gen8 we can not Choice one of them for the om of the month
Ty

Hi,
Sorry if it's not here to post my question.. I'm not English and it's really hard to find my answer in the forum..
So who choose the other metagame? The list between we choose in voting stage of the month? Maybe I'm not clear sorry...
Because. There are always the sames choice.. 350cup godly gift etc..
Is it because they re the only om code by the leaders? Because I really like FORTEMON or POKEBILITIES in Gen7 om and since gen8 we can not Choice one of them for the om of the month
Ty
No one can answer me?
Welcome to smogon! Sorry about the wait, I was going to let this go to people who are currently more active in the OM community than I am.

If I recall correctly, there are two rotating ladders for OMs, leader’s choice and Other Metagame of The Month (OMOTM). Leader’s choice is chosen by the OM staff (usually The Immortal, although other OM leaders may also have input), which is usually used to spotlight interesting metagames that are less popular than the ones chosen for OMOTM. The list you’re talking about is used to determine OMOTM, which is determined by OM players and takes place in two parts.

The nomination stage comes first. In this stage, users can narrow down the candidates by nominating OMs that they would like. The most recent OMOTM can’t be chosen for another 4 months.

The voting stage happens second. Users who have at least 5 forum posts and an account that is at least one week old will go to the appropriate thread in the sub forum and like the posts of OMs that they would like to win. The OM with the most likes wins and becomes OM of the Month.

I believe the issue with fortemons and pokebilities is popularity and activity, not the code we have. Both of those OMs, while fun, are less popular in Gen 8 and neither are currently listed on the OM index (bc/ they don’t currently have a leader.) I’m not familiar with their mechanics, but if they are able to be played in Gen 8, you can apply to lead them in the OM submissions sub forum. The second post in this thread outlines how to do that.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/other-metagames-rules-general-information.3656519/

If you’d like more information, please read the below threads, or join our discord, where you’ll most likely get a better response time.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/other-metagames-index-ask-questions-here.3656451/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/om-of-the-month-archive.3657180/

Last edited:

AllTerrainVen0moth

Banned deucer.
Can we port Full Potential to gen 8?
(beta gen 8 BL)
(item clause)
Bans: OU Bans + the following:
Abilities

Speed Boost

Unburden

Weather-based Speed boosting abilities (Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, Slush Rush, Sand Rush)
Pokémon

Shuckle

Alolan Raichu

Items
None yet

Ban Reasoning:
Shuckle: look at those defenses
Alolan Raichu: technically breaks the rules with Surge Surfer

Unbans:
Pokémon

Marshadow
:dracovish:
Dracovish

Unban Reasoning:
Marshadow: Its stats are paltry in comparison to many of the top tier threats in this metagame.
Dracovish: Really doesnt have that good attack compared to top metagame threats. Still good doe

Last edited:
something something get it aproved
Dracovish: Many more pokemon with water immunities are viable now, so Dracovish is able to be checked.
the problem wasnt that there were a lack of mons with water immunes, its that vish centralizes the game with 1 choice move
in FP vish can use choice scarf and pretty much gain the effects of scarf + band (off of a base 75 sure but still)
stuff may be bulkier but stuff like steelix are still potent and weak to fish

Hi, I just wanted to know the name of the Other Metagame which reverses Attack and Special Attack stats (not the same as Full Potential), which was featured only once I believe in gen 7. I just remember that Togekiss with Hustle was playable

Last edited:
I hope this is the correct OM SQSA type of thread.

Has there ever been an OM with this condition:
Status moves/abilities that raise/lower stats have double the effect.

So Tail Whip lowers defense by two stages, Intimidate lowers attack by two stages, and Tail Glow is obviously even more broken a +6. Nasty Plot and Swords Dance seem to become terrifying, and hyper offense gains new meaning.

I didn't see it in the index on the first page.

Imo it never exist but I'm not sure I'm on smogon since 2018 so...
But I'm not sure that's a good idea to an OM because of offensive or defensive power.. Furthermore the ban list will be too long lol. Shell Smash, Quiver Dance, shift Geer, serenade grace (full flinch lol) etc.. With too many ban it because a simple om no?
It's just an opinion..
Personally I prefer the comeback of pokebilities or fortemon

Just doubling stat changes targeted at the opponent like Swagger, Fake Tears, and Intimidate might be neat, but it's also pretty vanilla compared to many other OMs.

Webs would be nuts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)