Project OU Community Create a Team | COMPLETED (see p. 22, post #545)

Status
Not open for further replies.
voting is now over.

it's pretty obvious that scarf tyranitar won, completing our team!

however, we aren't done yet. we are entering into the second live workshop portion of this project. for those unfamiliar with live workshops, they are scheduled and hosted in the OU Workshop room on PS!. more information on how they generally operate can be found here. for more information on how the workshops operate in regards to CCAT specifically, look here.

currently, Nedor and i don't have an exact date for this workshop, but it'll be hosted sometime this weekend. when we have a clear date and time, i'll post an update here (as well as updating the title), and in the live OU teambuilding workshop thread.

finally, i want to thank everyone who participated throughout this build n_n. the project actually got more participation than i expected, and the posts / submissions were generally high quality ^^

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Will this second workshop be just about polishing up the team, or will we talk about things that we could've done differently with the build?

Edit: Also, what does our team have for CM mega sableye lol?

Last edited:
Will this second workshop be just about polishing up the team, or will we talk about things that we could've done differently with the build?

Edit: Also, what does our team have for CM mega sableye lol?
Nothing but amoongus clear smog spam. Things like this is why we have the follow up

our second workshop has finished, and things went pretty successfully other than a rough start and both Nedor and i having to leave for an extended period of time at different times.

anyways, some points from the workshop & then the completed teams w/ descriptions:
  • we started by deciding to go 2 ways with this:
    • a team that didn't change too much of what the community built in this thread
    • a team that changed a bit more, but didn't change the main framework of the team (blastoise + hazard stack + pursuit trapper)
  • it was virtually unanimous that we should replace landorus-t with hippowdon. hippo is better at handling things like bisharp, and it fits with the balanced nature of the build.
  • there was also a common theme of wanting to remove kyurem-b for speedier options in both variants of the team.
  • one big issue with the team as it stood was the absolute lack of win conditions. we could stack hazards and damage stuff, but we had nothing to secure a win in the end-game.
  • to remedy this, talonflame was brought up multiple times. it's worth mentioning that talonflame was also brought up multiple times in the actual thread itself.
    • talon acts as a general check to things the team doesn't like such as mega venusaur, bisharp (to an extent), etc.
    • it provides a solid win condition for the team... something that was otherwise absent.
with all that in mind, onto the teams! as stated above, the first one is the one where we didn't change too much, and the second is the one where we changed a bit more. PLEASE NOTE: these teams were made through voting in a thread & then revised in the workshops. keeping that in mind, it's kinda obvious that they won't be perfect due to lack of testing.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Iron Head
- Roost

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Roost

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
with this variant, we started with running hippowdon > landorus-t for reasons stated above. next, we decided to make changes to get rid of tyranitar & kyurem-b for talonflame and a suitable partner. pursuit weavile brings the pursuit trapping that tyranitar brought + being an offensive ice type like kyurem-b. the rest of the team is, of course, based on what we built in the workshop. weavile isn't as great of a pursuit trapper as tyranitar was, leaving the build a bit weaker to latis. nonetheless, this build shows off the thought processes commonly seen during the submission periods of the thread while cleaning up the build to add proper win-conditions and whatnot.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Iron Head
- Roost

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake
- Slack Off

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Taunt
- Roost

Celebi @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 80 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
with this variant, you can still see some of the common themes brought up in the submission period, as well as commonly discussed things throughout the workshop (talonflame and hippowdon). however, this team takes a more interesting take, utilizing CM pass celebi + mega blastoise as a breaker. CM pass was chosen > nastypass so the team actually has a bit of a chance against manaphy. tyranitar is kept on this team to have a better answer for lati@s. the idea for this one mostly came from Srn and Rumor.

there are some interchangeable options on both of these teams, mainly with tyranitar & talonflame. things like running wisp > taunt on talon, bulk up > sd, or more special defense, and running crunch > ice punch on tyranitar.

if neither of these teams please you, here's one that you may like (mainly created by Erai14). the reason i didn't include this one in the main posts was because the bulk of it was done by erai on his own while the workshop was going on, and it doesn't keep the hazard stacking theme. nonetheless, this is a pretty solid and fun build n_n

well that concludes our first team built. i'd like to thank Srn, Rumor, OrdA, Teremiare, Dread Arceus, Erai14, Nedor, and whoever helped during this workshop!

to make it clear i'll just double post :x

we're now starting a second team from scratch. submissions for what we'll build around are open from now until 1/23.

this is the FIRST submission period of the new team, so submit something you think will be cool for us to build around n_n

edit: also Srn will be co-co-hosting the thread with Nedor and i n_n

Last edited:
HO NidoKing Set n_n

Nidoking @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Even tho the set may look weird it has won me a couple of battles, the poison point really does the job when it actually gets a poison by crippling it. this mixed special attacker Nidoking Set can both be a wall breaker or a sweeper.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
New team hype !

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off / Superpower

Mamoswine is one of the most anti-meta Pokemon right now, thanks to it's unresisted STAB moves, strong priority, and access to Knock Off. Being able to beat some of the top threats in the meta is also a huge advantage, making it an extremely solid Pokemon to build around.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt / Ice Fang
- Waterfall / Earthquake
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

man i was surprised when gyara dropped to UU, and heard that even mgyara could be dropping. It honestly makes no sense as to why people would possibly drop such a beast. In any case, this thing is still going strong af. Its checks, keldeo/ferro/clef are very easy to lure and pressure, and gyara can set up super easily. A good old mega gyarados team can't go wrong :D
taunt/waterfall is for breaking stall teams (pops open mega sab, sets up on skarm which often carry iron head>bbird nowadays) and ice fang/eq is much better vs offense.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
So I kind of don't care about what is built for next round tbh but I'm glancing at the teams and just wondering some things. For what it's worth I think the original build or concept was better since it sort of just fits the whole M-Blastoise archetypes anyways. People get way overworked up about definitions, wincons, and all these ideas, mentalities, and stigmas that you don't really need to always abide by and I think focusing on them a bit too much like I can clearly tell results in a lack of awareness of managing threats and using something practical. Yeah ok, lack of playtesting I get that, but you got to envision how it's gonna play to begin with anyways instead of going on the checks and counters compendium and assuming you have stuff covered.

So what do you against Heatran on Team 1? I'm legitimately curious cause it seems like everytime it comes in, which is pretty simple seeing as how crummy the Adamant Tflame variant is and one day I hope people understand that while it comes in for free on like half your team, its firing off a shot and it has no real repercussion of just throwing out a fire move. Blastoise isn't really a spinner that has the luxury of longevity or amassed offensive potential to offset longevity such as Starmie and Excadrill respectively, so it normally wants a team that can maintain some offensive pressure, which isn't exactly what this team will do and will invite a lot of mildly brainless wall-breakers to come in from time to time. If you face a Talonflame with SD with this team and it clicks SD, let's go ahead and assume these kind of teams are backed by Spikes btw cause the effective ones usually are, I'm going to say it's game over with a Hippowdon that has no rock coverage to go with it. I'm pretty sure I can bring up a lot more concerns like once again how some wall-breakers just come in and fire shots but you don't really have good means to combat them at the end of that turn no matter the result. I guess some things you kind of play around like M-Kazam but man idk these sort of balances are such a huge turn off for me and the unanimous decision to just change the teams dynamics totally I think made it worse under the assumption that these kind of balances are reliable now a days.

Team 2 looks ok but man I hope that strategy you have WP passing boosts to Blastoise to destroy some crummy ladder players works cause while it's cute I've never seen strategies like that put in actual work.

Erais version looks ok at a glance but not utilizing Spikes kind of defeats the purpose and point of ever using a Blastoise build seeing as how it relies on the pressure of those spikes to force things in like Latis and other hazard removers that it can either damage immensely such as Skarmory or have a partner to pursuit trap Latis where it can rinse and repeat on the hazard stacking idea.

These are just some things to think about cause I think going the fat balance route entirely is a bad idea with M-Blastoise teams. The original version had some concepts behind it that I felt were more suitable to myself but meh just annoyed by people being over reliant on that Hippo on all three of these builds lol.

The mega gyarados moveset should be icefang/earthquake/waterfall/dragondance.

It offers the most coverage (with EQ) and hits gyarados's checks, such as rotom-w and keldeo.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
NOT MEGA BANETTE

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

Hydreigon despite being in UU is a fierce attacker to deal with as it gets great coverage and strong offensive stats. The only things that wall Hydreigon are really just Fairy types and with good team support can do its job well. Some might ask why Hydreigon over Hoopa-Unbound, Hydreigon unlike Hoopa gets Dragon, Dark coverage and also has resists.

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Why is this thing still C+ rank

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

I've enjoyed using Cobalion as of late, its great typing and good speed allows it to check some threatening mons in the meta right now, such as Bisharp and Weavile, given how well it performs against Dark types due to its typing and its ability which Cobalion makes great use of to raise its somewhat underwhelming Attack stat when struck with attacks like the prevalent Knock Off. SubSD is the set here, and its potential has been shown by people such as Albacore, and I would simply love to see a team which can make use of its positive qualities, which I believe we are easily able of doing. :toast:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack

Mega Pinsir is a fucking lord that can overwhelm a lot of teams with its fucking stupid damage output, and it provides a decent wincon with +2 frustration OHKOing every single non-unaware mon that doesn't resist it bar maybe the fattest shit in the entire tier. Close combat is really nice for hitting mons that resist frustration, but aren't grounded like Skarmory, Rotom-W, etc. When coupled with mons that can cover its weaknesses, mega pinsir can become a titanic force that can destroy most teams. Also, if you thought it was bad vs offense, +2 quick attack can clean up offensive teams faster than most people blink, and Mega Pinsir's only problem when cleaning up offense is faster priority users. (talon and weavile) All in all, I think that mega Pinsir would be a great Pokemon to build around and it would be a lot of fun. Also, I may or may not be making an RMT around this little bugger, so keep an eye out for that. (shameless self plug)

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 220 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

I think it's destructive, very good against fat teams and offense through SD and RP, respectively, a team built around him might be effective, it is very good this set now ^^

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail
- Fire Fang / Hone Claws / Pursuit

Mega Aerodactyl can be a pretty fun mon to try out, as it's able to practically outspeed everything that's not scarfed or boosted other than speed tying with Mega Alakazam. The moveset is really changeable so run whatever you want, but Mega Aerodactyl can be a really nice pursuit trapper, as it won't get outsped by whatever it's trapping most of the time. It's also really good against Talonflame, which is doing really well atm, so that's really handy. Offense is on the rise, and Mega Aerodactyl should be able to literally rise up to the challenge ;)

just gonna close this and start the voting now~
  • nidoking
  • mamoswine
  • mega gyarados
  • life orb hydreigon
  • cobalion
  • mega pinsir
  • double dance landorus-t
  • mega aerodactyl
to vote on what we'll base our team around, simply say the name of one of the above options. voting will be open from now until sunday, 1/24 @ night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)