Pokémon Let's Go! - Pikachu and Eevee

If TMs end up NOT being in the game (which I highly doubt is the case), then that actually spells terrible news for Chansey as it can't learn Toxic or Thunder Wave and its level up movepool is beyond bad besides Softboiled. No items also means no Eviolite or even Leftovers. It can't even learn Seismic Toss to do any sort of damage.

So based on what you're saying, Worldie, Chansey sounds like a pretty bad pick, if you ask me.
Fine, I was kinda just mentioning the first mon that crossed my mind there, but I am quite sure you see the point I wanted to make there: without items and egg moves, potentially with limited movepools, pure BST of megas and certain fast glass cannons would imo just create a new "big6" or vgc2016 scenario, with a extremely small viable pool with the only variation being the mega you bring (which I could easily see being Alakazam or Gengar most of the time seeing without competitive dark and steel types they could be night unstoppable bar eventual sucker punch)

Sooo... Is Charizard getting banned? Being able to choose directly in the battle seems deadly
But then again, you cant change the moves and nature, so...

Sooo... Is Charizard getting banned? Being able to choose directly in the battle seems deadly
But then again, you cant change the moves and nature, so...
I don't really see how much of a difference that'd make in the grand scheme of things. You either build for one mega or the other. I don't see how a Mega Charizard Y would be viable with Flare Blitz/Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Roost when you could just use Mega Charizard X.

I don't really see how much of a difference that'd make in the grand scheme of things. You either build for one mega or the other. I don't see how a Mega Charizard Y would be viable with Flare Blitz/Dragon Claw/Earthquake/Roost when you could just use Mega Charizard X.
More likely is that Zard Y will run Dragon Pulse and become Zard X if need be.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haha wow I spoke too soon, guess items are still in limbo alongside abilities (didn't see any sun in that trailer). Interesting that Charizard can choose between its evolutions though, I might experiment with that (tho I feel it might be a bit underwhelming if it loses its abilities).

You have a overestimation of the competitive scene of a game featuring only the first 151.

It'll boil down to just the starter megas + the big 6 of gen 1. Good luck killing Chansey :p
While this is gonna be its own thing, I think at the very least Kanto Classic last gen showed that even with just the original 151 mons and some changes, you don't really get anything similar to the RBY metagame. Hard to say at this point what to expect, but my guess is that mega evos will certainly be more diverse than the starters (in fact I imagine Mega Blastoise will be snubbed unless it gets its ability, and even then its a pretty high cost for a bulky offensive Rapid Spinner).

Again, what works depends on abilities, but in Kanto Classic (which banned items but still had abilities), the acutal dominant Pokemon were Snorlax, Clefable, Slowbro, and Dragonite. Chansey was a big deal, but lacking eviolite made it easier to break through than you'd expect actually. Especially since Machamp was a damn good Pokemon in that metagame, one that can be a pain in the ass to switch into without Slowbro or smart Gengar switch-ins!

Assuming mons won't have abilities, I wanna mention the Zards real quick.

Despite not having Tough Claws which will be a bit of a pain against mons like Clefable, for example, I don't think Mega Charizard X will be affected all that much considering it'll still hit pretty hard with its high-powered Flare Blitz. Mega Charizard Y will be a different story, though. Sure, its STABs will still hit pretty dang hard, but not having Solar Beam + Drought will seriously hurt it against Water and Rock-type Pokemon, while its Fire-type STABs will miss the extra...firepower that Drought brings.

Regarding other notable examples:

* Dragonite not having Multiscale will severely limit its set up opportunities, but I think it's fat enough to still make Dragon Dance sets work.
* The Nidos not having Sheer Force (and Life Orb as well if held items are really out in this game) will weaken them quite a lot, almost to the point of them being outclassed offensively. However, Nidoqueen's one of the few Pokemon in Kanto to learn Toxic Spikes naturally, so I could see it having a niche there. Plus, their movepools are still quite good assuming TMs are still available.
* Machamp can no longer spread free confusion with Dynamic Punch without No Guard.
* Slowbro and Tangela lose Regenerator which hurt their roles as pivots.
* Clefable and Alakazam losing Magic Guard makes them susceptible to status and entry hazards.
* Dugtrio and Magneton can no longer trap anything without Arena Trap and Magnet Pull, respectively (although there's no other Steel-types in the game outside other Magneton and Alolan Sandslash)
* Assuming other Mega Evolutions make a return:
- Mega Gengar can no longer trap anything without Shadow Tag, preventing it from being the best Mega Pokemon so far.
- Mega Pidgeot no longer has 100% accurate Hurricanes without No Guard.
- Mega Beedrill's severely weakened without Adaptability.
- Thanks to Kangaskhan's downward spiral under the influence of drugs and alcohol, her child is now alone and has to fend for itself, now that their Parental Bond has shattered.
- Mega Venusaur is now weak to Fire- and Ice-types without Thick Fat.
- Mega Pinsir loses Aerilate!!! What will this thing do now?...

Speaking of other Megas, if we do manage to receive new Kanto Mega Evolutions in this game and abilities are, in fact, out of the picture, this would essentially mean that we're using "trial versions" of these Mega Pokemon until they make a return in Gen 8 with their new abilities.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah a lot of mega evos are actually pretty screwed without their abilties. Off the top of my head, besides Megazard X, two other Megas stand out in not being harmed tooo much

Mega Slowbro: Yeah I know the base form losing regen sucks, but I think Mega Slowbro can live without Shell Armor, should be a very good physical wall.

Mega Gyarados: This is one of the few options for offensive Dark-types (and only good one for setting up too). I imagine it'll do decently vs Mega Slowbro actually.

Last edited:
Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl should still do just fine considering they're both tied for being the fastest Pokemon in this metagame. Plus, Mega Alakazam has nothing to Trace anyways while Mega Aerodactyl doesn't have access to a lot of good STABs that benefit from Tough Claws anyways, with the best being Aerial Ace/Wing Attack. Its contact coverage moves will suffer, though.

Also, while Mega Gengar lost Shadow Tag, I still see it being a very solid mon considering it's the only Ghost-type in the game besides its base form and Alolan Marowak, while having access to amazing stats and movepool options.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was fine settling with no items since they don't affect in-game that much, but no abilities is bullshit. I thought these games couldn't any worse and yet they did.

I'll still play the meta though. Chansey and Clefable nerfs rock.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
At 0:05, Charizard's move set is:

- Dragon Pulse
- Flare Blitz
- Flamethrower
- Slash

Assuming the Charizard used in the trailer isn't bred, will this mean that Charizard can now learn Dragon Pulse via level up, or will there be a Dragon Pulse tutor available in this game?
They just wanted to show off Mega Charizard X using a Dragon-type move. I don't think the thought goes beyond that so wouldn't be surprised if its still an Egg Move (or a Move Tutor, LGPE seems like a one off so having Move Tutors wouldn't be too much of a surprise).

If TMs end up NOT being in the game (which I highly doubt is the case)...
Why wouldn't there be TMs? TMs are in Gen I/Yellow (if there's any question about TMs it should be are the HMs back and are TMs infinite use?).

They just wanted to show off Mega Charizard X using a Dragon-type move. I don't think the thought goes beyond that so wouldn't be surprised if its still an Egg Move (or a Move Tutor, LGPE seems like a one off so having Move Tutors wouldn't be too much of a surprise).

Why wouldn't there be TMs? TMs are in Gen I/Yellow (if there's any question about TMs it should be are the HMs back and are TMs infinite use?).
I only brought up the idea that it's now a level-up move on the basis that this game has been confirmed to be re-working some of the level-up movesets, such as Pikachu now learning Double Kick and Bulbasaur learning Leech Seed at level 9 instead of level 7, for example.

I also brought up that point with the TMs considering that items haven't really been confirmed yet and that some people here thought they weren't going to make it, but at the same time, I still think TMs are coming back. What else can the gym leaders possibly give you after they hand you their badges? They always rewarded you with a TM afterwards.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned HMs wouldn't be around and the ride mons would replace them but maybe that's another translation error that just got spread around. You can see cut trees in the same places so it's probably the same idea.

Also I do not think egg moves / breeding will be in this, they may have mentioned that too but you really need a lot of external knowledge for it like egg moves and how the hold items work for it and it seems they want to keep things simple.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why would there be no TMs? Items, TMs included, existed in Gen I, there just was no mechanic for holding them. Also, the ability to teach Pokémon new moves outside of leveling up is so integral to Pokémon that TMs even exist in Pokémon Go, a game which notoriously gets everything about Pokémon wrong. If there aren't TMs, there will at least be move tutors or other similar things that teach moves.That's a pretty safe bet.

I don't think it's a safe bet at all.

TMs, most likely will happen , THOUGH there's the possibility of them not being there since we know movesets are altered.

Tutors, I can imagine them not present.

As I mentioned, being a simplified pokemon RPG, I am expecting simplified movesets and several moves like Taunt, KnockOff, Weather or Trick Room not present.

We'll know more eventually I suppose. Ultimately the release day is slowly coming.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
(...)

As I mentioned, being a simplified pokemon RPG...
... You know what, I think that's my problem with all this. What are they simplifying, and more importantly, WHY? If these games are meant to bridge GO and younger players to the core series, why wouldn't there be held items & Abilities? Why isn't their wild battles?

Held Items: Alright, I can see LIMITING held items you can get to simple to understand items like the type boosting ones, a handful of the helpful Berries, Soothe Bell, Everstone, etc.. But what would be the point of having no held items, how does that ease players into the core series by not teaching them of a helpful (and in some cases necessary to know) mechanic now with a simple tutorial?

Abilities: All Pokemon have Abilities, many which changes the flow of battle. Removing them I think would do more harm as new players might get used to battles being pretty straight forward but then going to the core series having Abilities throw them in a loop. Well, okay, not really, but it may make them think certain Pokemon/Types are better than others no matter what while an Ability can change that all up.

Wild Battles: Making the capture system exactly like GO does not help them transition over. Like you can keep the having to throw the Pokemon mechanic, but they should also know in the cores series you got to weaken the wild Pokemon. They'll go into the cores series thinking just throwing a Poke Ball is all they need to do.

There's way to simplify the game, yes, but these three things made me realize that how they're simplifying the game isn't going to help transition GO/younger players to the main series as they'll be playing a stripped down experience rather then a more carefully and tighter focused experience.

... You know what, I think that's my problem with all this. What are they simplifying, and more importantly, WHY? If these games are meant to bridge GO and younger players to the core series, why wouldn't there be held items & Abilities? Why isn't their wild battles?

Held Items: Alright, I can see LIMITING held items you can get to simple to understand items like the type boosting ones, a handful of the helpful Berries, Soothe Bell, Everstone, etc.. But what would be the point of having no held items, how does that ease players into the core series by not teaching them of a helpful (and in some cases necessary to know) mechanic now with a simple tutorial?

Abilities: All Pokemon have Abilities, many which changes the flow of battle. Removing them I think would do more harm as new players might get used to battles being pretty straight forward but then going to the core series having Abilities throw them in a loop. Well, okay, not really, but it may make them think certain Pokemon/Types are better than others no matter what while an Ability can change that all up.

Wild Battles: Making the capture system exactly like GO does not help them transition over. Like you can keep the having to throw the Pokemon mechanic, but they should also know in the cores series you got to weaken the wild Pokemon. They'll go into the cores series thinking just throwing a Poke Ball is all they need to do.

There's way to simplify the game, yes, but these three things made me realize that how they're simplifying the game isn't going to help transition GO/younger players to the main series as they'll be playing a stripped down experience rather then a more carefully and tighter focused experience.
The worrying thing is not that Let's Go is getting simplified to accomodate Go players, but that Core games get simplified to accomodate LG players

Again with that? Even though they called PLGO "core series" they specifically said gen 8 games will be the standard core rpg experience that veteran players are used to so there's literally no reason to be bothered by whatever disaster they do with PLGO.
Actual combat mechanics have never been removed going forward in generations. Updated? Sure. But every combat mechanic including stats management (like IV/EVs) has been carefully kept through the year.

Edit: we even just got the confirmation that 2019 vgc is on USUM, which is just a extra (obvious proof) of how PLGO is by all means a spinoff eve though they call it mainseries so it at least sells.

That said, Pikachu315111 while I do agree the simplification of PLGO is excessive, it also shown and was pointed several times that GF aimed this game at people with absolutely no idea of how Pokemon works, and basically wanted to make it as close to a "gen 1 meets Go" experience as possible.
Even though they kept some stuff (like Megas or Natures), everything else looks as basic as "get supereffective mons and win". ....and that they assume new players are idiots , which is also a trend that's been showing in other games anyway.

Last edited:
Bur then why would they give Misty Scald, wonder what do the other gym leaders get
Also, at this point in the core series I wouldnt be surprised if they gave other Pokemon EVs like they did in (U)SM

Replicating the artificial difficulty of USUM (enemies sporting proper movesets and AI as well as max IV/EV and correct nature while you're supposedly stuck with whatever you catch) is something I would definitely love but also something I see quite unlikely :(

Replicating the artificial difficulty of USUM (enemies sporting proper movesets and AI as well as max IV/EV and correct nature while you're supposedly stuck with whatever you catch) is something I would definitely love but also something I see quite unlikely :(
I actually hated the EVs, I think they are better ways to make it more difficult than to make a Pinsir (base 85) outspeed my Jolteon (130) with just 2 more levels
Add more mons, better mons, better attacks, give proper items and maybe raise the levels a bit and Im fine

I actually hated the EVs, I think they are better ways to make it more difficult than to make a Pinsir (base 85) outspeed my Jolteon (130) with just 2 more levels
Add more mons, better mons, better attacks, give proper items and maybe raise the levels a bit and Im fine
Unfortunately, realistically speaking, EV/IV are one of the only way to prevent you from bruteforcing the game by just overleveling one mon, as IV/EV advantage basically equals to being like 10 levels higher.

Well that and actually preventing you from overleveling like they did for UltraNecrozma who was 20 levels higher than any wild mon you could find, but that one was actually a big failure that turned in "if you have a steel type good, else better cheese"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)