Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oblivion Wing and Geomancy... kinda sounds like what ten-year old me would make up as "cool" moves. That's their target age group though, so makes sense. I'm sure they'll grow on me.

EDIT: And Topsy-Turvy kinda doesn't sound like a move. "Foe Malimar used Topsy-Turvy!" just doesn't flow as nice as "used Turn-Around."

I don't understand why a lot of people are writing off Fairy type like it's automatically going to be home for a group of weak, useless Pokemon... I don't think they would have made it SE on Dragon type if it was going to be a load of normal-type-esk cutemons. We can't know for sure if they are or not, though. We don't even have the confirmed type chart yet, let alone stats or evolutions for existing fairy type Pokemon (if there are going to be any evolutions). Plus you can't really write Azumarill and Gardevoir as being weak pokemon, now can you?
The issue lies in their design. Game Freak hasn't given us enough to believe that they're competitively viable outside of either potentially being a support type or offering a few coverage moves, since all the new ones besides Xerneas are downright adorable. There's an unwritten ferocity/battle viability stat that we give them based on their looks, and without knowing their stats or potential evolved forms, most people aren't that immediately impressed. I still support them, and I always will, but I want to be impressed by Fairy types because they have their own advantages outside of hitting Dragon types super effectively.

Oblivion Wing and Geomancy... kinda sounds like what ten-year old me would make up as "cool" moves. That's their target age group though, so makes sense. I'm sure they'll grow on me.
It can be argued that Pokémon's going a little Yugioh on us, but "Geomancy" lends itself more to the ~magic~ that Fairy types command in their attacks. The techniques that Fairy types get STAB on have been extremely varied in their presentation so far, most of which involve the use of an element, and controlling the earth is our ultimate extension of that element-driven magic.
I like it, but OBLIVION WI~~~~ING

EDIT: And Topsy-Turvy kinda doesn't sound like a move. "Foe Malimar used Topsy-Turvy!" just doesn't flow as nice as "used Turn-Around."
used Turn Around sounds just as if not more awkward awkward

R N has a typing impediment >_>

I'm glad that they revamped c-gear powerups as O-powers. I won't have to miss abusing three minute fighting boosts anymore :D
Also, how many of you think that kids are going to try Wonder-trading Zigzagoons hoping for someone else to be sending out free Mamoswines? That'll be fun to play around with.

That makes sense, considering the "aura" part. But oh well, it's not that bad really, I mean Dark is pretty rare in Ubers, and Xerneas would probably be one if not the only Fairy type up there.
Don't forget Fairy-type Arceus... Both it and Xerneas will likely be pure-Fairy Ubers.

The issue lies in their design. Game Freak hasn't given us enough to believe that they're competitively viable outside of either potentially being a support type or offering a few coverage moves, since all the new ones besides Xerneas are downright adorable. There's an unwritten ferocity/battle viability stat that we give them based on their looks, and without knowing their stats or potential evolved forms, most people aren't that immediately impressed. I still support them, and I always will, but I want to be impressed by Fairy types because they have their own advantages outside of hitting Dragon types super effectively.

I think that you're correct about there being, for most people, an unwritten ferocity threshold that monsters must meet in order to look like they'd be powerful competitively. But then again all of the pixies are competitively viable and are small/cute, but we're just used to that and we expect it. Besides, we always know their BST because they're all the same, so there's never any mystery. Pokémon doesn't have a defined look or theme for fairies yet, and what their role will be is still unknown. Evidence for their role as support Pokémon I think can be found in the revealed abilities (Sweet Veil on Swirlix and Healer on Spritzee); this doesn't mean, however, that all fairy types will play support roles. Psychics have Espeon and Cressilia in support roles and Alakazam and Gallade as all-out attackers.

So far I am not impressed with any of the new fairy designs bar Flabébé; I personally think the fairies should look more like Celebi and Flabébé, which look more like what we're used to seeing as fairies.

EDIT:
Don't forget Fairy-type Arceus... Both it and Xerneas will likely be pure-Fairy Ubers.
I also think Newtwo will be Fairy or Psychic/Fairy as that's the only reason I can see for its existence. Could be wrong, who knows.

Just going to point out that "topsy-turvy" is more a commonly used term in England. I like the move name (because i'm English huehuehue). I would have preferred "Arse over tit" though.

Infact! That's what I will be calling my Inkay. "GO, ARSE OVER TIT". Comedic value right there.

Also, how many of you think that kids are going to try Wonder-trading Zigzagoons hoping for someone else to be sending out free Mamoswines? That'll be fun to play around with.

Why stop at Zigzagoons? It'll all be Chimecho or Magikarp.

On a gameplay related note when I nuzlocke X I'll catch a Swirlix regardless of rules.

I think that you're correct about there being, for most people, an unwritten ferocity threshold that monsters must meet in order to look like they'd be powerful competitively. But then again all of the pixies are competitively viable and are small/cute, but we're just used to that and we expect it. Besides, we always know their BST because they're all the same, so there's never any mystery. Pokémon doesn't have a defined look or theme for fairies yet, and what their role will be is still unknown. Evidence for their role as support Pokémon I think can be found in the revealed abilities (Sweet Veil on Swirlix and Healer on Spritzee); this doesn't mean, however, that all fairy types will play support roles. Psychics have Espeon and Cressilia in support roles and Alakazam and Gallade as all-out attackers.

So far I am not impressed with any of the new fairy designs bar Flabébé; I personally think the fairies should look more like Celebi and Flabébé, which look more like what we're used to seeing as fairies.
I believe the "look" of Fairies isn't going to be like the "look" for Water types, where you're going to expect something with fins or the "look" for Grass types, which are commonly green with some foliage on their bodies. Fairy types seem to be mostly based around magical creatures from different cultures/regions, or characters with some supposed magical value made real, and I think that it may drastically effect what Fairy-type moves they receive in their movepools based on what creature they're based on. As such, no two Fairy-types are going to have a lot in common based on face value, besides being precious as far as we've seen.
You're right to say that we don't know what kinds of Fairy types are still out there and what the ones we already have can do to help define their battle roles, and I really want them to reveal something that looks like a defender/fighter/high speed scout -mon (pick your favorite) to show the high level of variety that Fairy types are (hopefully) coming out of the gate with.

Not sure if this has been brought up before in the 80 pages of posts, but I'm really hyped about Honedge, the upcoming Ghost/Steel type. I wonder what its stats will be like. Will it end up being another OU tank, or will it have UU/below stats? Would it even have defensive stats? I mean, it is a sword. It wouldn't seem too surprising if it ended up having offensive stats instead.

A lot of Pokemon are related to creatures, however, we've seen a number of Pokemon depicted as 'items'. We had all the Rotom forms for example, as different household utilities, such as a washing machine. And now we have a sword. I wonder how many more 'items' they will come up with?

A lot of Pokemon are related to creatures, however, we've seen a number of Pokemon depicted as 'items'. We had all the Rotom forms for example, as different household utilities, such as a washing machine. And now we have a sword. I wonder how many more 'items' they will come up with?
Magnets, wind chimes, ice cream cones, balloons, candles, lamps, chandeliers, Pokéballs, bronze mirrors, bronze gongs, sarcophagi, gears, trash bags, the list goes on...

Magnets, wind chimes, ice cream cones, balloons, candles, lamps, chandeliers, Pokéballs, bronze mirrors, bronze gongs, sarcophagi, gears, trash bags, the list goes on...
toasters, fridges, washing machines, lawn mowers, desk fans...yeah Pokemon has TOTALLY run out of ideas
#sarcasm

Do you guys think that Oblivion Wing will be some sort of HP draining move?

View attachment 345
Possibly...that is going to be OP :p

I want to pat myself on the back but with the forum being hacked I can't search for any post before the rebuild.
I mentioned somewhere that the real name of Malimar was probably Malamar.
It's quite a stroke of intuition if I may say so myself. *takes a bow*

Ha ha, found it. (May 22, 2013)
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-x-y-discussion.3483415/page-23#post-4708431

I'm assuming Malimar will have two heads with different temperament, like Girafarig, and the Psychic/Dark typing plays on that. I always thought that if there would be a Girafarig evo it should be Psychic/Dark.The evolution's name is also dangerously close to being a palindrome like Girafarig. In fact, since spelling in the leaks in unreliable (Pancham/Panchum) it could very well be Malamar which is even closer.
At the time I was thinking that the pre-evos head/foot would remain in the final design.
Still pretty good for a stab in the dark.
(Alright, enough gloating :P)

I really like the improvements on the GTS. Finally you can receive Pokemon not yet registered in your Pokedex. :) That should make it easier to get version-exclusive Pokemon.

Peropuff and Shushup look like monsters out of the Kirby games, which is great. Does Shushup smell like perfume or something? I don’t quite understand where they’re coming from(after reading everything, the "witch/plague doctor" is a neat observation), but I’m happy that it’s a Y exclusive.

Inkay and Malimar are real. And they are AMAZAAAAH. Right off the bat, Malimar looks like it could be UU or BL, but I guess it depends on just how well it abuses stat changes or other effects that may be reversible, and how that would affect the meta. It doesn’t look like it will use its typing for offense, which I wouldn’t see as a problem since Psychic/Dark isn’t bad defensively.

Also I'm calling it now, they're going to spam Talonflame like Team Plasma spammed Patrat
I can agree with all of the above statements; I think the "plague doctor" is likely to be somewhat of an inspiration for it (or we're looking too deeply into it).

In other news, hooray for new trailer and English names! I think Geomancy and Oblivion Wing are awesome names because they remind me of Final Fantasy a bit, and give both Xerneas and Yveltal an air of power (as in, their attacks sound and look extremely destructive).

And...
Serebii said:
For the first time in the main Pokémon series, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y allow you to receive a Pokémon not yet registered in your Pokédex via GTS trade!
YES!

Just saying, if Shushup evolves into a plague doctor mon, it would be cool. If it gets Fly, I will choose Chespin for Pokemon X.

Honedge could be OU with no guard.If he can learn hypnosis,that would be awesome.At first i wanted him to have the ability levitate,but now i understand why he has no guard.

honedge is a great typing I like it. ghost/steel is neat but I'm wondering what his BST will be.

I expect a offensive spread with average speed tbh even though I want him defensive no guard hypnosis anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)