Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to the Pokébeach rumor (specifically the section pasted below), I noticed something that I haven't seen mentioned.

A Pokemon named Inkay evolves into Malimar. To evolve it, you have to hold your 3DS upside-down when it levels up (the 3DS has an accelerometer and gyroscope, so it can detect that). Malimar’s type is Dark/Psychic.

Now according to the new Corocoro information posted on Serebii, the names do not match and are Malka and Karamanero, respectively; what does match the rumor is their type combinations. I remember when these rumors were initially being discussed a couple of people thought that the evolution method for this monster seemed silly and would ultimately not be included in the games. However as I was just looking at the reveal pictures for Malka and Karamanero I noticed that there body design flips upside-down, with the lower tentacles of Malka becoming what looks hair-like on Karamanero and the glowing bulbous section on Malka's head switching to the lower portion of Karamanero's body. Why the leaker would have got the names wrong is a mystery but because of this months reveal I believe that Inkay is Malka and Malimar is Karamanero, and that their evolution method will involve holding the 3DS upside-down.

EDIT: Also, they learn a new move called Turn Over and are the Reversal Pokémon.

Picture for reference

the names don't match because the leaker gave the english names, not the japanese

this isn't rocket science
Well exuuuuuuse me, princess. At least I tried to make my post well thought out and detailed. I didn't think about the names being in English and that one small detail is enough to insult me? I realize this is the internet but damn...

Well exuuuuuuse me, princess. At least I tried to make my post well thought out and detailed. I didn't think about the names being in English and that one small detail is enough to insult me? I realize this is the internet but damn...
also this (& Pangoro) were the big thing that pretty much cemented the rumors as fact

I'm reasonably sure it has been mentioned (here, elsewhere) and the various turn around-theme for the squids have too. Their gimmick is kind of hard to miss!

also this (& Pangoro) were the big thing that pretty much cemented the rumors as fact

I'm reasonably sure it has been mentioned (here, elsewhere) and the various turn around-theme for the squids have too. Their gimmick is kind of hard to miss!
I thought it was the names for Helioptile and Fletchling that first cemented the rumors, not anything to do with the squids....

I love the idea behind Maika and Karamanero ! If it doesn't evove by turning the 3DS upside down, I'll be really disappointed.
Ok, well I don't really go anywhere else for PokéNews besides this thread and Serebii, which I only visit for CoroCoro scans as their forums suck. I had only briefly reviewed them (the scans, not the text) the night they came out and when I took a second, longer look a few minutes ago, as well as reading about the monsters, I noticed the theme and then my mind wandered back to the PokéBeach rumor.
Running a search, which I never thought was prerequisite to posting, turns up exactly two very brief mentions. So yes, you are right that it has been mentioned and I overlooked it. My only point is that not realizing that the rumor used the English names isn't really grounds for insulting me. I posted in haste because I made a connection I didn't remember reading here. I tried to make it detailed and supportive of what I was trying to argue, and given all of the random, one sentence posts (see below), I thought I would be met with something a little deeper than "it's not rocket science," especially since I was arguing specifically about something written off ages ago (its evolution method). Sorry for the off-topic rant but I thought your first post was pretty insulting.

We pretty much figured out the squid stuff from the names and inversion gimmick only.
Anyway, this is a great issue with a lot of info.

Assuming it works on the user, Turn Over is Contrary in move form but that changes so much.
You have to debuff yourself then take a turn to use it. Practically, you'll only get the boost from one use of the stat lowering move.
Otherwise you'd have to debuff yourself maximally first (say 3 DMs/LSs/OHs) and your opponent would obviously exploit that.

If it targets the opponent, it is an interesting pHazing move.
A Pokemon with a bunch of CMs could be turned into a wet noodle in one turn.

I'm really annoyed that the evil team only has a purpose to make money that's dumb. I was thinking they were going to introduce a new team with goals part from making money like in gen 4 Cyrus wanted to create a new world and gen 5 team plasma with pokemon liberation and gen 3 with eco- terrorism I am seriously annoyed at Game freak for having the same generic storyline that will appeal to only 5-10year olds. I hope the have a good reason to make the team like this and should have a plot which pleases every age groups apart from kids.
Do you see the problem with pointing out that 4 of the 5 previous teams were NOT motivated by money, and then continuing to say that going after money is the "same generic storyline?" I feel like an evil team with motivations like this will make the game a lot less linear. They drive the plot of every game, and don't leave much room for you to diverge from the set path. If "Team Flair" is just running around pulling off heists, I feel like this could possible give us a bit more freedom.

As for Honedge, I was shocked to learn that it has No Guard as its initially revealed Ability. Seeing how previous scans and reveals hinted it's gonna be a Physical Sweeper via Swords Dance, Levitate would be its perfect ability; given how it's Ghost/Steel, Levitate would allow it to possess one weakness.

If Honedge got Levitate as its 2nd, non-hidden ability:

Honedge @ Life Orb or Expert Belt
Levitate* (I do sincerely hope it gets Levitate as its 2nd, non-Hidden Ability; *wishful thinking, but please make it happen, GameFreak!)
4 HP/252 ATK/252 Spe
Adamant

Swords Dance/Pain Split
Sacred Sword/Sky Uppercut (real-life swords can be slashed upwards)
Shadow Sneak
Iron Head

As for Maika and Karamanero, the ideal moveset for it to have to maximize Contrary:

Karamanero @ Expert Belt
Contrary
160 ATK/96 SpA/252 Spe
Lonely/Naughty

Overheat
Psycho Boost
Superpower/Close Combat/Hammer Arm
Crunch/Pursuit

I just like the idea of switching attacks and not be Choice-locked.

Just my projections for these two.

I love how people seem to forget we already have a ghost-type pokemon with No Guard that can't use Will-o-Wisp, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with another (as I really don't think it's design lends itself to learning it)

Maybe Honedge will get Hypnotis, a 100% accurate sleep move can always be useful.

I'm really annoyed that the evil team only has a purpose to make money that's dumb. I was thinking they were going to introduce a new team with goals part from making money like in gen 4 Cyrus wanted to create a new world and gen 5 team plasma with pokemon liberation and gen 3 with eco- terrorism I am seriously annoyed at Game freak for having the same generic storyline that will appeal to only 5-10year olds. I hope the have a good reason to make the team like this and should have a plot which pleases every age groups apart from kids.
Personally I think the motives of the evil groups in 3-5 gens are the ones that's kinda childish and unrealistic..

Team Flair want dat cash money. That's fine with me, I've always thought its silly for the evil team to be trying to destroy the world or something. Team Rocket were the best because they were real criminals with realistic goals.

My guess is that Team Flare would just be a subplot a la Red/Blue, and the real deal would be something related to Yveltal wanting to fuck shit up, and Xerneas stopping it, since Yveltal is the "Destruction" Pokémon, that would explain why Yveltal is weak against Xerneas only type (if the rumors about Fairy's matchups are true) but Xerneas isn't something like Grass to compensate and balance both out.
At least, I would like the plot a lot more if it turns around an actual conflict between the Pokémon and not the current team trying to force them to do something like every other gen.

As for Honedge, I was shocked to learn that it has No Guard as its initially revealed Ability. Seeing how previous scans and reveals hinted it's gonna be a Physical Sweeper via Swords Dance, Levitate would be its perfect ability; given how it's Ghost/Steel, Levitate would allow it to possess one weakness.

If Honedge got Levitate as its 2nd, non-hidden ability:

Honedge @ Life Orb or Expert Belt
Levitate* (I do sincerely hope it gets Levitate as its 2nd, non-Hidden Ability; *wishful thinking, but please make it happen, GameFreak!)
4 HP/252 ATK/252 Spe
Adamant (...)
Yeah, I really liked the idea of him getting levitate at first, but that would mean that GF would have to let honedge participate in sky battles (for levitaters and flying pokémon).
I can't see a sword flying like a bird in a sky battle, and I think that's (partly) why honedge doesn't come with levitate. If there were no sky battles then I think honedge could realistically have it. And hey, no guard could benefit him even more, since he would still only have 2 weaknesses. No guard will-o-wisp or Stone Edge sounds pretty nice for a sweeper, since many powerful attacks unfortunately don't always have very good accuracy.

My guess is that Team Flare would just be a subplot a la Red/Blue, and the real deal would be something related to Yveltal wanting to fuck shit up, and Xerneas stopping it, since Yveltal is the "Destruction" Pokémon, that would explain why Yveltal is weak against Xerneas only type (if the rumors about Fairy's matchups are true) but Xerneas isn't something like Grass to compensate and balance both out.
At least, I would like the plot a lot more if it turns around an actual conflict between the Pokémon and not the current team trying to force them to do something like every other gen.
That (sorta in a way) reminds me of team Aqua/Magma... dunno why. But now that you bring up the fact that Xerneas is the pokémon of life and vice versa, I can see that being a pretty good plot or at least sub-plot of the story. Especially since I'm expecting the upcoming games to have pretty cool cutscenes that can take advantages of the 3D tech and the improved hardware. We'll see though. I'm hoping this next issue of CoroCoro (rumored to be the biggest leak of the year), will at least give some insight to the plot.

Team Flare wants money just like Team Galactic were ~researching new energy sources~. Just you wait.
Could that new energy source possibly be related to those awkward looking pod canyon that was shown in the first trailer? Hmm...

I just love the idea of having antagonists who actually want to make a difference in the world rather than money because in 1000 years their heists are not going to make a difference but if team plasma took over they would change the world completely. It would be more interesting and exciting. I think the the world domination and money was before the plots really made a difference to the kids nowadays games have become much more focused in the plot. Now even subplots have to make the gamer interested, also considering Game Freak they recently in Gens 3-5 the evil team had a connection to the evil team. I will be exasperated if Team Flare wants to use Yveltal and Xerneas to control and make money.

All the talking about Hone Edge not getting Levitate/getting No Guard, maybe Levitate becomes an intrinsic setting, and as such is removed from the ability chart.

That would also upen up things like Misdreavus/Mismagius with No Guard, as that would give them a 100% accurate Inferno to abuse, or other useful abilities for current levitators, or levitate for Pokémon that don't currently have it like Glalie and Castform amongst others. Also lol @ Bronzong w/o weakness.

Alright, as if we didn't have enough evidence already, I'm basically taking the Pokebeach leaks as gospel at this point.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the new fairy types, but the Pancham evolution and squids are pretty awesome to me. I like the more unique typings that Gamefreak seems to be going with this generation, and I hope they keep up the trend.

Goranda seems really, really promising right now. We already know that Fighting/Dark is a good typing from Scrafty, and it already has a lot of potentially good applications set out for it. All it needs are some STAB Priority moves to go with Parting Remark and we're looking at something akin to Scizor here (though admittedly without the same defensive typing, but Dark/Fighting's offensive potential helps make up for that).

The Squids are a real toss up for how well they're going to perform. As someone has already said, Dark/Psychic is very much like pure Normal typing defensively. However, unlike what they said, Normal typing doesn't necessarily suck and neither does Dark/Psychic. I mean, just look at Blissey. What really will make or break these guys is their stats. Psychic/Dark isn't the best offensive combination, so we better hope for bulk. Turn Over could be really useful if it targets the opponent, and much less useful if it targets the user. Imagine a CM set with Turn Over (target opponent) and how well that'd work against other CM users, or just other Pokemon trying to set up alongside you in general. Contrary and Suction Cups are also both potentially useful abilities, depending on what moves and stats Malimar gets. Of the Pokemon revealed, Malimar intrigues me the most due to it having so much potential to either be realized or wasted.

As for the new Fairy types... eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhh... They're not terrible but they're just not my type of Pokemon. We don't have nearly enough information on them to judge any sort of competitive viability so for the time being they're merely a side show. And it is pretty amusing watching people flip out over a Cotton Candy Pokemon :P

Honedge getting No Guard is somewhat of a disappointment, as I'm sure we were all rooting for a more defensive spread with Levitate. No dice though; it likely seems to be a heavily offensive set up sweeper. Let's just hope it gets moves that it can take advantage of No Guard's effect, and good enough defensive stats to use that godly typing to at least set up or something. Or let's just hope for a shield version that can do everything we want our Ghost/Steel to do :P

As for the new Fairy types... eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhh... They're not terrible but they're just not my type of Pokemon. We don't have nearly enough information on them to judge any sort of competitive viability so for the time being they're merely a side show. And it is pretty amusing watching people flip out over a Cotton Candy Pokemon :p
Well, the new Fairy type was originally designed to purposely level the playing field against some powerful dragon types. So Sylveon might actually be viable for competitive play, depending on the stat spread and move pool of course. And as for honedge, I at first wanted levitate. But after thinking about it, levitate would enable honedge to play in sky battles and i can't realistically see that happening. As for the Pancham evo, that thing looks awesome, but I'm worried it'll only get about base 70 or so speed... we'll just have to wait and see.

I didn't liked the new Pokémon revealed in this CoroCoro at first, but finally the only bad-looking new Pokémon is the unevolved squid IMO. It's ugly, but its evolution looks cool. Dark/Psychic is a typing I wanted for this generation, and I also wanted a squid Pokémon. I now want to believe rumors saying than a Dark/Psychic evolves by leveling-up with 3DS upside down, the rumor matches typing and the evolution method matches both design and concept (Dark and Psychic seem opposite types and they have Contrary as ability).

The panda is badass, and typing is awesome, even if isn't a new typing. Knowing Ursaring's attack, I expect a base attack stat around 140 or something. I didn't liked pink bird's design at first, I actually saw nothing more than a fusion between Munna and Murkrow, but since I noticed the similarity with a plague doctor's mask, I actually kind of like it, the concept is awesome. The cotton candy is weird, but doesn't looks completely terrible.

From my understanding of the corocoro scans, Dark/Fairy Aura boosts the Dark/Fairy type attacks of all participating pokemon
That would be awesome in double/triple battles. Hopefully they will not be signature abilities and some regular Pokémon will get it. At least these abilities seem better than Reshiram and Zekrom's, Turboblaze and Teravolt being carbon copies of Mold Breaker.

Also, all Fairy-types revealed that are part of Gen VI are pure Fairy-types. Probably Gen VI Fairy-types will only be single-typed, but that seems logical because we will probably not have any pure Fairy from Gen I-V. I don't see Game Freak give Fairy type to older Pokémon at the price of one of their types as of Gen V.

I really thought we would have got away from GHOST/STEEL WITH LEVITATE!!1! now that Honedge's ability is revealed.
I'm surprised that someone can say that Making Money is an unrealistic motivation while Take Over The World is somehow realistic.
And remember that Fighting/Dark is no longer as good a type as if was before it the rumours are true, seeing as Fairy is supposedly SE on both. Speaking of which, only being resisted by Fire and Psychic would make Fairy a pretty good type to have.

...It would also be 4x effective on a Dragon/Fighting. I really, really hope they reveal some badass Dragon/Fighting Pokemon then shortly afterwards a Ghost/Fairy.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
As long as it learns Roost.

On an unrelated note, guys, the CoroCoro scan about Team Flare had a question mark. It's more along the lines of "is their only intention making money...?". Team Galactic researches energy sources, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)