Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a feeling this generation will be revolutionary, introduce several new types and expand upon Pokemon's online capabilities. My idea for a new type:

Light

SE against:
Dark
Ghost

NVE Against:
Ice
Light
Electric
Fire

No Effect Against:
Grass

Resistant Against:
Fire
Light
Ghost

Weak Against:
Dark
Poison

Attacking with a Light-type move is difficult, as many resist Light. Nevertheless, Defense is where Light "shines". Having only two weaknesses, both of which are uncommon attacking types, defensively built Light-types will stay around long after the start of a battle. Although attacking with Light is unreliable and begging for a switch-in, Light moves knock bulky Ghost and Dark types (Dusknoir, Rotom 2, Umbreon, etc.) down a notch and give Sableye/Spiritomb a dire weakness.

New status: Irradiation [RAD]
Like Poison-type, Fire-type, and Electric-type moves, each Light-type move comes with a x% chance of Irradiation. Irradiation:

-Halves the Special Attack of afflicted Pokemon
-Does 12% damage each turn

EDIT: I gave Light a Poison weakness to buff a type that desperately wants a reason to be used offensively

NO. No light types. It is NOT the oposite of Dark, which isn't darkness, it's trickery and other suchstuffs.

NO NEW TYPES. (No more Rock/Steels either) You hear me up there Nintendo?

That's the best version of light type I've seen yet. Now all we need is a good rendition of sound type to go with it and we'll be set.

Having a one weakness type is too broken. Only normal has that, and it isn't SE against anything.

Also the irradiation is basically burn for special attackers. I like the idea of that status but not on every move of a certain type.

I don't really think we need new types though. Just some kind of new game play mechanic, and a new status would also be welcome.

Maxie and Archie should be Gym leaders. After having learned their lesson and all that jazz. Cyrus was and is a dick so he could be like... dead or something or in another dimension doing a solo project and whatever. Giovanni could again try to bring back team rocket but like better and like not crap.

If anything, Light should be a heavenly type, not one involving electrical light, because... That's what the Electric type is for!

I kind of like the light/radiation idea. It amuses me. And sound/sonic type could be good as well. That said, Light shouldn be quite fast as well. IE fast defensive Pokemon, perfect for flinging statuses.

NO. No light types. It is NOT the oposite of Dark, which isn't darkness, it's trickery and other suchstuffs.

NO NEW TYPES. (No more Rock/Steels either) You hear me up there Nintendo?
Matt, I must protest. It's true that a lot of dark moves have connotations of trickery, but there are plenty that don't: Night Slash, Moonlight, Faint Attack, Dark Void, Dark Pulse, Crunch. You also have to consider that Game Freak has limited room to work with. You can only put "Night" or "Dark" in front of so many words before it becomes repetitive, especially when many of the names for Ghost attacks have similar themes.

Personally, I'm not clamoring for a new type, but I wouldn't have a problem if one was introduced. It would shake up the metagame a bit, but so did the division of the Special stat in GS and the Physical/Special split in DP. Anyway, if the people over at GameFreak decided to make a light type, they've already done it, so we might as well be open to the idea.

I meant a entirely different team fit to use Trick Room :p Seeing as he's all about changing the world around him I think Trick Room would have been his thing.

And both games are a lot of fun imo. Better plots regarding evil teams and it's interesting to play with some pokémon you probably wouldn't be using otheriwse. I'm hoping it gets a sequel in gen V
I thought they had a few faults that brought down my enjoyment of the games but putting those aside it was a fun take on the pokemon series. I don't want to see shadow pokemon again though.

Matt, I must protest. It's true that a lot of dark moves have connotations of trickery, but there are plenty that don't: Night Slash, Moonlight, Faint Attack, Dark Void, Dark Pulse, Crunch. You also have to consider that Game Freak has limited room to work with. You can only put "Night" or "Dark" in front of so many words before it becomes repetitive, especially when many of the names for Ghost attacks have similar themes.

Personally, I'm not clamoring for a new type, but I wouldn't have a problem if one was introduced. It would shake up the metagame a bit, but so did the division of the Special stat in GS and the Physical/Special split in DP. Anyway, if the people over at GameFreak decided to make a light type, they've already done it, so we might as well be open to the idea.
Look up the Japanese names of those moves. Night Slash=Blade Test, Dark Pulse=Evil Pulse. Like.. three out of all the Dark moves have anything to do with actual darkness.

The bottom line is Dark type = Evil type. A Good type is more plausible than photonic light.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
What "Dark" is in America doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the connotation of "dark" in the English language as compared to its Japanese name.

Edit: Ninja'd

Dark and Evil are very much similar. In pop culture, there are many "evil" figures that appose light anyways (vampires, werewolves, etc.).

Nix_Hex

I hope you make a million dollars
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gamefreak,
Can we add some new pokemon to caves? All caves in all generations so far consist of geodude, zubat, onix, and an occasional machop. Later in the game you see Gravellers, Golbats, Machokes, Onix, and the occasional Steelix. I'm sick of bland blue bats and gray boulders. As a new generation nears, GF gets a chance to start something fresh. Less weak flying/normal types and rodents at the beginning, and some overall higher level pokemon throughout the game. RSE almost got the idea when the dark-type Poochyena could be found immediately, but it totally sucked for your team, even though its evolution looks SO cool. While we're at that... how about an evolution for Mightyena? Maybe it would be as awesome as Yanmega, Togekiss, Froslass, and Rhyperior became in DP.

Also, the first field out of your home town should include lv5 wild pokemon at the VERY least. Maybe some new interesting HM's? Surf and Fly are a must, but we need something like what Whirlpool was when it made its debut in gen2. sort of gimmicky but fun to watch, especially in hgss!

What would be even better, though of course limited, would be a bit smarter of an AI, and a smarter battle tower mode with the ability to play 6 on 6 to practice with a real team.

Maybe, if Game Freak is cool enough, we'll actually fight off all 4 teams. Throughout the game, there are hints of Team Rocket and Galactic reuniting. The beginning and middle would be Aqua and Magma... Maybe they want to take control of the region's technology so they'd have more resources to reform the land/sea.

At the climax of those two fighting, the player finds out that Rocket and Galactic have joined forces as Giovanni has returned, and they wipe out Aqua and Magma. For the rest of the game's storyline, the combined teams have some really badass name while they take complete control of the region. Eventually, Cyrus hears of this and returns, then Cyrus and Giovanni compete for control of the team.

Maybe then the player chooses whose side he or she will join and take out the opposing side of the team and its leader. Then the game's legendary awakens and the player is forced to fight it alongside the leader they sided with, who then captures it and uses its power to escape. Then the player needs to take out that leader's team and then their leader, and finally battles the game's legendary.

... And yes, I do realize that it's way too good of a storyline to be in a Pokemon game, but wouldn't that be amazing?

That would definately be the best story a Pokemon game has ever had (except maybe Explorers of Time and Darkness) but I can't see why Aqua and Magma would return, considering they learned that their plans were foolish and that they could have destroyed the world. I could see Team Rocket and Galactic coming back, but that's still highly unlikely. If they had two teams and you could choose which one to join and aid in taking out the other, that would still be a great story, reguardless.

At the very least, I request a couple of changes to the type advantage sheet:

Specifically Poison should be super effective against Water.

I mean, hello? Water pollution and stuff... Isn't that the reasoning behind poison being super effective against Grass-types?

Yeah, I'd like to see Poison SE on Water. I'd also like to see Grass not be resisted by Dragon. Make it a slightly less-bad attacking type.

That sure would be a storyline that'd make me proud. Unfortunately, the most likely story line will just be another random band of bad guys who want to destroy the world in some way, shape, or form. Just like half the other video games ever made.

And to reply to the comment that Dark=Evil, that's only in American pop culture. Not Japanese, where it actually matters.

On the note of new types, I think there should be some sort of Air type. It bothers me that every single pokemon who doesn't touch the ground are given the exact same weaknesses and resistances. It would add a little more diversity, I believe, to a pretty one-dimensional group.

It bothers me that every single pokemon who doesn't touch the ground are given the exact same weaknesses and resistances. It would add a little more diversity, I believe, to a pretty one-dimensional group.
Levitators?

Bronzong, Cresselia, Flygon, etc, all lack weaknesses to electric, Zong/Cress are resistant and neutral to ice respectively.

My issue with that light type rendition is that it completely destroys Sableye and Spiritomb, which I get is what you were aiming for in part, but that's basically their whole concept - being immune to SE attacks. Destroying that makes them pretty blandish. I realize that in the competitive metagame it's not Spiritomb's lack of weaknesses but lack of resistances that affects it, but you can sure bet Nintendo was using the "no SE attacks" as part of its base concept.

I do agree that this will be revolutionary though. I mean, cars? What is this? :P But in all seriousness, I dislike new types. I think we're doing just fine right now. Increased WiFi would be nice though. Imagine actually playing main game alongside someone else. That's a bad idea, I know, but still. There could be so many interesting innovations... *drools*

Levitators?
I don't think slapping on Levitate is the best answer to solve the problem every single time it comes up. Giving too many pokemon the same ability just seems distasteful to me. No one ever said they would prefer Pressure to any other ability on any pokemon.

Like Poison-type, Fire-type, and Electric-type moves, each Light-type move comes with a x% chance of Irradiation. Irradiation:

Too bad light can't cause irradiation.

I've got a feeling this generation will be revolutionary, introduce several new types and expand upon Pokemon's online capabilities. My idea for a new type:

Light

SE against:
Dark
Ghost

NVE Against:
Ice
Light
Electric
Fire
Grass

Resistant Against:
Fire
Light
Ghost

Weak Against:
Dark

Attacking with a Light-type move is difficult, as many resist Light. Nevertheless, Defense is where Light "shines". Having only one weakness, defensively built Light-types will stay around long after the start of a battle. Although attacking with Light is unreliable and begging for a switch-in, Light moves knock bulky Ghost and Dark types (Dusknoir, Rotom 2, Umbreon, etc.) down a notch and give Sableye/Spiritomb a dire weakness.

Alternate idea:

Light-Type

SE against:

Dark
Ghost
Ice (clear and all?)
Water (same reasoning as Ice)
Dragon

Resisted by:

Normal
Light
Psychic
Steel
Rock
Ground

Ineffective against:

Grass

Hit SE from:

Rock
Grass
Poison (corruption of perfection?)

Resists:

Dragon
Steel
Ghost
Light

Immune to:

N/a

Sound-Type:

SE against:

Dragon
Steel
Psychic
Ground (DIE CHOMP DIE!)

Resisted by:

Sound
Grass
Poison
Flying

Ineffective against:

N/A

Hit SE from:

Ground (lols at Chatot becoming the ULTIMATE Chomp counter)
Flying
Normal

Resists:

Dragon
Steel
Water
Sound

Immune to:

N/a

Status effect: Ringing: Special Burn, caused primarily by sound attacks.

"Alakazam's head began to ring!
Alakazam is hurt by its ringing headache!"

New Psyduck/Golduck-exclusive ability: Head Case: Special version of Guts, immune to Ringing sp. attack drop.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
but you can sure bet Nintendo was using the "no SE attacks" as part of its base concept.
Highly, highly doubtful. The simplest answer is that some designer thought Ghost + Dark would be a neat combination flavor wise.

As for the Air type, I see no reason why Flying can't be considered air type. I say it's about time we had a mono-Flying Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)