SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread

Everyone seems to be hyped about Toxtricity, but is anyone else worried about it? Sure, it is not going to be as centralizing as Cinderace is expected to be, but it still has a lot going for it. Fire punch allows it to bop Ferrothorn and Shedinja, which works well with shift gear. Boomburst shreds most ground types. To put things in perspective, if Punk Rock boosts sound moves by only 20%, and you use a life orb, Hippowdon is only a check if it is max SpD with leftovers.

Even without fire punch, Toxtricity can punish Ferrothorn with volt switch, and get in a u-turn partner that can threaten it (does Galarian Darm get u-turn? That'd be a threatening core). The only potential counter I can think of is Runergeist(?), which has no reliable recovery, and doesn't offer much in utility or offensive presence (c'mon gamefreak, why throw away Palossand for this?).

Everyone seems to be hyped about Toxtricity, but is anyone else worried about it? Sure, it is not going to be as centralizing as Cinderace is expected to be, but it still has a lot going for it. Fire punch allows it to bop Ferrothorn and Shedinja, which works well with shift gear. Boomburst shreds most ground types. To put things in perspective, if Punk Rock boosts sound moves by only 20%, and you use a life orb, Hippowdon is only a check if it is max SpD with leftovers.

Even without fire punch, Toxtricity can punish Ferrothorn with volt switch, and get in a u-turn partner that can threaten it (does Galarian Darm get u-turn? That'd be a threatening core). The only potential counter I can think of is Runergeist(?), which has no reliable recovery, and doesn't offer much in utility or offensive presence (c'mon gamefreak, why throw away Palossand for this?).
Idk about G-Darmanitan but Cinderace sure gets U-Turn

It does get U-Turn, yeah!

Right now I'm thinking that Timid Life Orb Tox with Overdrive, Boomburst, Sludge Wave and Volt Switch and Adamant Zen G-Darm with Icicle Crash, Flare Blitz, Belly Drum and U-Turn are gonna be best friends; they threaten out each others' primary checks and are both pretty good Dynamax picks depending on who the opponent has left when you decide to start cleaning up.

I'm still interesting in seeing how viable Obstagoon is, though. Between Guts Facade, Knock-Off, Obstruct, and its coverage moves I see it filling either a bulky support or bully role provided it doesn't have to so much as glance at a Fighting-type.

I'm still interesting in seeing how viable Obstagoon is, though. Between Guts Facade, Knock-Off, Obstruct, and its coverage moves I see it filling either a bulky support or bully role provided it doesn't have to so much as glance at a Fighting-type.
Obstruct sadly feels like a pointless move to run. Well, in singles at least.
I also have a hard time justifying Obstagoon in doubles either...

Obstruct sadly feels like a pointless move to run. Well, in singles at least.
I also have a hard time justifying Obstagoon in doubles either...
I can see it working sometimes as a means of scouting a Fighting move or softening up a bulky/Dynamax threat that you can only KO post-Obstruct, but 4MSS is an issue since I don't think you'd wanna give up Gunk Shot or Close Combat on an offensive set for that. A support set with STAB Knock-Off and Obstruct might be useful though; removing items and making opponents more scared of your physical attackers are both valuable functions.
Belly Drum + U-turn is a very bad combo. Belly Drum + Flare Blitz isn't very appealing either.
I guess you could rely on just Fire Punch with +6 base 160 Attack lol

U-Turn still has some utility as a pivot move even on a Belly Drum set tho, obviously you're not going to be using it after boosting but even unboosted it's still going to put quite the dent in whatever you're switching out of, which helps Toxtricity since it doesn't have that same raw power.

Last edited:
I can see it working sometimes as a means of scouting a Fighting move or softening up a bulky/Dynamax threat that you can only KO post-Obstruct, but 4MSS is an issue since I don't think you'd wanna give up Gunk Shot or Close Combat on an offensive set for that. A support set with STAB Knock-Off and Obstruct might be useful though; removing items and making opponents more scared of your physical attackers are both valuable functions.
Obstruct can also let you activate Flame Orb safely.

Idk about G-Darmanitan but Cinderace sure gets U-Turn
Damn, Cinderace is going to be such a bitch. It forces out regen mons like Toxapex and Eldegross with zen headbutt and pyro ball, and u-turns on any switch ins, chipping away at the team. You can't even use a 4x resist to u-turn to mitigate damage, because most mons that have this resistance are weak to Cinderace's other moves (like Corviknight, Salazzle)...

Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Very true! STAB Guts Facade is terrifyingly strong, but you won't have access to it until Goon's been on the board for at least a turn and GF wasn't kind enough to give it Fake-Out unfortunately. "Protect, But Better" is far from a useless move imo!
I like your love for Obstagoon.
Only a bit sad it doesn't get Sucker Punch nor Extreme Speed :"3
But it's not as slow as it could've been.

I like your love for Obstagoon.
Only a bit sad it doesn't get Sucker Punch nor Extreme Speed :"3
But it's not as slow as it could've been.
The lack of priority OR Belly Drum was definitely an intentional choice on GF's part; they probably knew Guts STAB ES would be unstoppable ahaha...

I'm definitely glad that it has decent bulk AND decent Speed though; sucks that it doesn't get Swords Dance or Agility but I'm confident we can still make it work with the right core.

I was gonna say Water Absorb mons would be a pretty good stop to Gyarados but then they gave it Power Whip :puff: Gmax Lapras with Tbolt/Freeze Dry couldve been a great counter. Gyarados might finally break the meta...Is Zeraora faster than +1 speed Gyarados? If so he might be a reliable check. (Edit: LOL Zeraora is just barely slower, long live Gyarados...)

At the very least Corviknight with Body Press seems like a hard counter to Excradrill, dynamax or not. Also Gengar is the least scary of all of them because it has no way to raise its speed. Choice Scarf isn't an option when your two stabs have common immunities.

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
The lack of priority OR Belly Drum was definitely an intentional choice on GF's part; they probably knew Guts STAB ES would be unstoppable ahaha...
In addition to this, I'm pretty sure they're making it so no new Pokemon completely outclasses any old ones, like original Linoone, unless they were already outclassed. (even ones that were cut) Galaran Corsola is a stupidly bulky Ghost Type with Evolite, like Dusclops, but Corsola learns Strength Sap. Dusclops, however, learns Trick Room and Helping Hand. It's a slight difference, but it's enough to make them both viable for different roles. The closest thing to an exception is Barraskewda, which looks like a better Floatzel, but why would anyone use Floatzal over Kingdra or Ludicolo as a Swift Swim user?
Is eternabeam only used by eternamax in the raid battle? can it still use it after being captured in base form
Base form can use it, but it's a Hyper Beam variant, so I wouldn't want to use it. If you're okay with Hyper Beam's drawback, go nuts.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but these are basically the current metagame-favorite new mons this gen.

Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus, G-Darmanitan, Cinderace, Rillaboom, Dragapult, Polteageist and Corviknight.

Did I miss anyone or added someone who doesn't belong?

So correct me if I'm wrong, but these are basically the current metagame-favorite new mons this gen.

Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus, G-Darmanitan, Cinderace, Rillaboom, Dragapult, Polteageist and Corviknight.

Did I miss anyone or added someone who doesn't belong?
It's still too early to tell although the first three will be in ubers day 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)