SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread

Draco easily. It's got the speed, typing, ability, and movepool to be a real threat, and never forget that dynamaxing makes all your moves hit 100% of the time turning hustle into a free 1.5 attack boost. Arctovolt has some ok tricks but the ice typing is just painful on almost any pokemon, especially with 55 base speed.
I did not think about the dynamax moves always hitting. That makes hustle the obvious choice then.

The fossils come with 3 stats perfect right? So i should just be soft resetting for the ability and a adamant nature then? Or would a speed boosting nature be better so bolt break hits more for double?

As for moves, i was thinking dragon claw, bolt break, aerial ace(for a move that never misses), and some sort of filler, fire fang or brutal swing. It does get iron tail, but if i run hustle i will never hit with it.

Last edited:
After catching several Sinistea in the fairy forest for a while, I finally encountered a Non-Forgery one. However, I was pretty disappointed to learn that this form cannot be bred down. Breeding my Non-Forgery Sinistea with a Ditto produced a Forgery, which is kind of remarkable because previously the offspring always inherits the form of the parent when bred with Ditto (it's been like this with things like Pumpkaboo, Shellos, Deerling, etc). Now, I only bred one, but I wonder if there's still a chance to breed a Non-Forgery Sinistea or if this form is restricted to be found in the wild. If anyone knows more about this, please share!

Is it possible to refuse to catch Eternatus? I'm wondering if there's any way to get it in a Beast Ball, but from what I gather you have to fight Eternatus in order to get said ball. I'm also wondering if it's possible for Eternatus to break out of that ball.
You have to catch it. Trying stuff like having all PC boxes full and no Poké Balls will result in soft locking, so there's no other way to progress other than to catch it.

Also, Eternatus has quite a high catch rate (255) which means that at 1 HP (I believe this is how defeated raid Pokémon are treated) it will most certainly be a guaranteed capture with most kind of balls. However, since the Beast Ball applies a 0.1 multiplier to the catching probability, you will still only have 10 % chance of catching it with one of those. This is assuming they didn't enforce a 100% capture on it.

Has anyone found the Flame Orb and Toxic Orb in game yet? They don’t seem to be offered as rewards in Battle Tower, and I can’t find an answer anywhere else on the internet...
I got the flame orb randomly as a reward from ball guy after Pokemon league rematches and i heard the toxic orb is in the same spot. Idk if you can save before the last match and refresh it or if there's a window before the last results screen comes up but it's worth trying.

Is it possible to refuse to catch Eternatus? I'm wondering if there's any way to get it in a Beast Ball, but from what I gather you have to fight Eternatus in order to get said ball. I'm also wondering if it's possible for Eternatus to break out of that ball.
Tecnically, you can just ask someone who already has the Beast Ball to trade it to you before that plot point, and then give back your own Beast ball later. That'd work, and while not ideal, it's a way.

You have to catch it. Trying stuff like having all PC boxes full and no Poké Balls will result in soft locking, so there's no other way to progress other than to catch it.
The comments say that this game does have a locked 32nd box you get after the legendary like most other games, and this youtuber's shtick is hacking and piracy, so I wouldn't be surprised if this softlock wasn't actually possible in legitimate gameplay. Reminds me of that dragon ascent "glitch".

In ORAS when you catch Rayquaza with a full party, the game forces you to pick a party member to swap out, then it automatically puts Rayquaza in front, then it automatically teaches Dragon Ascent to your party lead (Rayquaza, naturally).

If you fill all 31 boxes and your party before catching Rayquaza, the catch sequence still goes through, but picking a party member to swap out doesn't work because all your boxes are full. Then the game still teaches Dragon Ascent to your party lead even if it isn't Rayquaza. This is not possible to pull off without hacking because the game doesn't unlock the 31st box until you've caught Rayquaza.

As I just posted on other page, Vanilluxe just got gifted with Aurora veil, matching A-ninetales' ability to set weather AND veil.

They are really trying to make Hail good.

Sadly, they're wasting their time :\
I wonder if gigantamax lapras is going to see use on Ice teams. Its G-max move is actually great, being able to set up Aurora Veil without Hail being up. It has incredible bulk (In its G-max form) and can even Take advantage of the freedom its G-max move gives it to set up rain and deal extra damage with Hydro Pump. It also now gets recovery with life dew, which isnt great, but better than nothing.

Also Gigantamax Grimmsnarl's G-max Snooze has a really gimmicky effect that i think would be super fun to use to force out opponent's pokemon.

I wonder if gigantamax lapras is going to see use on Ice teams. Its G-max move is actually great, being able to set up Aurora Veil without Hail being up. It has incredible bulk (In its G-max form) and can even Take advantage of the freedom its G-max move gives it to set up rain and deal extra damage with Hydro Pump. It also now gets recovery with life dew, which isnt great, but better than nothing.
The problem is, you'd be investing Gigamax on Lapras instead of an actually good pokemon...

It's like, fun and gimmicky, but doesn't look really like a good plan, unless VGC ends up being more bulkier than I'd expect. (Which, isn't impossible)

Has anyone logged how weather in the wild area works so you can maybe manipulate the time and date on the switch to get the desired weather in the right locations?

Has there been changes to the breeding mechanics in SwSh? I’ve hatched 15 Litwick; all with the ability flash fire. Been trying to hatch a flame body one.
Sounds like just some awful luck there on the 50/50, I don't know of any change to the breeding mechanic per se.
Females have passed down their ability at an 80/20 ratio (or 60/40) for hidden abilities for a few games now. Males pass down Abilities 60% with Ditto iirc.
So probably just unlucky.
I was hatching Munna eggs last night, and cycling around the wild area near the daycare was hatching eggs faster than the were laid. I had a female with synchronize, and a male with forewarn iirc, and was getting observably close to 80/20.

Has there been any research into catch formula? I've seen it crop up a lot, many people seeming ot use far more balls than normal, even on high rate pokemon.

Like I went through 20 great balls trying to capture a level 29 Dugtrio which is just...not normal, at all. Checking against a gen 6/7 calculator and approximating the HP (no status, about 15-20%) that should have been about a 77% chance per ball. That's a lot of unlucky rolls.
It was actually about 36%, not 77%. That was if a critical capture happened. Still, that's quite a number of unlucky rolls

Is this just a ton of people getting extremely unlucky or what. Dugtrio's b ene the most extreme example, but I have definitely had it happen to varying degrees throughout the game even on Pokemon that should be basically guaranteed.

Last edited:
Has there been any research into catch formula? I've seen it crop up a lot, many people seeming ot use far more balls than normal, even on high rate pokemon.

Like I went through 20 great balls trying to capture a level 29 Dugtrio which is just...not normal, at all. Checking against a gen 6/7 calculator and approximating the HP (no status, about 15-20%) that should have been about a 77% chance per ball. That's a lot of unlucky rolls.

Is this just a ton of people getting extremely unlucky or what. Dugtrio's b ene the most extreme example, but I have definitely had it happen to varying degrees throughout the game even on Pokemon that should be basically guaranteed.
The Great Ball is the point of contention here. It was shockingly unreliable to me as well compared to the Ultra Ball or even the Poké Ball...

I've heard that the game decreases the catch rate/catch probability if the wild Pokemon is higher-leveled than [your lead?]/[your current Pokemon?]/[the highest level in your party?] or something like that. A datamine confirmation would be nice as to what the actual trigger is.

Missing a 77% chance 20 times in a row is less than a 1 in 1 trillion probability.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I was wondering this same thing. I don't have any hard calculations, but I noticed it numerous times throughout the game, most notably with a Yamask. I went thorough all of both my greatballs and pokeballs (somewhere between 20 and 30 in total, if not more) before catching it, despite it being at low health.

I also noticed it. Didn't have much trouble with the box legendary, but common encounters were routinely draining my entire supply of balls even at low health. I usually started trying to catch things at about 60% in hail because it was so common for the Pokemon to die from chip damage before a successful catch.

I've heard that the game decreases the catch rate/catch probability if the wild Pokemon is higher-leveled than [your lead?]/[your current Pokemon?]/[the highest level in your party?] or something like that. A datamine confirmation would be nice as to what the actual trigger is.

Missing a 77% chance 20 times in a row is less than a 1 in 1 trillion probability.
A correction, I read the calculator wrong. A critical catch would have about 77% chance. The Dugtrio actually had about a 36% chance with the great balls. I'll update the post incase someone needs to reference it. So not AS ridiculous, but still pretty noticable

Has anyone logged how weather in the wild area works so you can maybe manipulate the time and date on the switch to get the desired weather in the right locations?
Yes. I can't remember what they were off the top of my head (I wrote them down on a piece of paper and I'm at work), but the 1st of every month sets the weather of the ENTIRE wild area to the same thing. For example....iirc, intense sunlight was July. So 7-1-2020 will get every wild area zone to intense sunlight.

Does breeding still run the same as in gen 7 (i.e., your eggs are pre-determined and cannot be SRed before picking them up) or did they revert back to how it was before that?

It was actually about 36%, not 77%. That was if a critical capture happened. Still, that's quite a number of unlucky rolls

MFW I barely used more than one or two balls against most unevolved/not completely evolved things

If I’m using the power items + pokerus to EV train, how many Pokémon do I need to defeat if they normally give out 1 EV point?

1 + 8 = 9, 9 x 2 = 18 EV’s? I thought in SM, we got 32 or 36 per Pokémon defeated, right?

If I’m using the power items + pokerus to EV train, how many Pokémon do I need to defeat if they normally give out 1 EV point?

1 + 8 = 9, 9 x 2 = 18 EV’s? I thought in SM, we got 32 or 36 per Pokémon defeated, right?
That's right, so it'd take 14 fights to reach 252 in a stat, 28 for 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)