SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The more I look at it the more I think Scorching Sands might just be a signature move for an unrevealed mon/form, or at least extremely limitedly distributed. Being able to heat up sand to be "scorching" sounds like something way more specific than Freeze-Dry, and our only Ground/Fire types are the Camerupt line and Primal Groudon. Then again Scald has high distribution despite some of its users probably not being that capable of heating up water a ton, so who knows?

I have some extremely dumb thoughts in mind now that I'm (fairly confidently) approaching these from a doubles lens.
Also, R_N I love the idea of Skitter Smack being the Dragon-type move... That's fantastic, and your reasoning makes total sense - good point about the French name, and Scale Shot works perfectly well for Bug!
Okay, uhhh
I am going to be wrong
About all of these
But here are my hopes and dreams for these tutor moves

Scale Shot (Bug) - a single-target damaging move that also acts as redirection (irritating scales like Rage Powder) for the target only

Meteor Beam (Rock) - a special Rock-type move with the side effect of setting Gravity

Misty Explosion (Fairy)/Grassy Glide (Grass)/Rising Voltage (Electric) - a Fairy/Grass/Electric-type move with the side effect of setting Misty/Grassy/Electric Terrain
I would lump in Expanding Force with these, but I'm suspicious of that one... it's too far away in the internal order and much less obviously terrain-related; I almost think that might be a Psychic Body Press variant, but that's kinda unlikely, isn't it?

Burning Jealousy (Fire) - a single-target special move; if the target is attacked before the user acts, the user's Special Attack rises
As a totally unrelated alternative, a damaging Fire-type move that also induces, like, Taunt or Torment or something

Poltergeist (Ghost) - sticking with Trick between the two opponents (PLEASE DON'T BE GHOST KNOCK OFF I SWEAR)

Coaching (Fighting) - a somewhat low-power Fighting move (60-ish BP), but after the user acts, its ally copies the move on the same target (in addition to its own move for the turn - think Dancer or Instruct)

I don't understand enough about skating to figure out what a Triple Axel (Ice) could do

Dual Wingbeat (Flying) - Flying-type Dragon Darts?

Sticking with what I've said already on Terrain Pulse (Normal), Flip Turn (Water) and Scorching Sands (Ground), I think.
I could also see Lash Out being a Dark-type Fire Lash why was that not my first thought rather than Lunge?, which could be interesting if Incineroar gets it... Alternatively, Dark-type Fake Out
Could Expanding Force (Psychic) do damage and set Wide Guard?? I dunno if that would make any sense...

I've seen a few other games where "Jealousy" gets represented mechanically as being based proportionally on something like how much power the other opponent has. Maybe this'll be the inverse to Power Trip or Stored Power? The stronger the opponent is, in terms of overall stat boosts, the stronger the attack is.

Poltergeist is a move concept that's come up over the years and I've always liked the idea of it being a move that deals damage based on the hazards on the field. I don't think it would remove them because then it just totally power creeps Defog & Rapid Spin, but a move that gets stronger the more hazards in play.

A Triple Axel is where the skater jumps into the air & spins 3 times. It's pretty hard to do
There's lots of ways they could take this. Ice type rapid spin? Ice type triple kick? Some wildly different move? Move that gets stronger every time you do it up to 3 times?

I've seen a few other games where "Jealousy" gets represented mechanically as being based proportionally on something like how much power the other opponent has. Maybe this'll be the inverse to Power Trip or Stored Power? The stronger the opponent is, in terms of overall stat boosts, the stronger the attack is.

Poltergeist is a move concept that's come up over the years and I've always liked the idea of it being a move that deals damage based on the hazards on the field. I don't think it would remove them because then it just totally power creeps Defog & Rapid Spin, but a move that gets stronger the more hazards in play.

A Triple Axel is where the skater jumps into the air & spins 3 times. It's pretty hard to do
There's lots of ways they could take this. Ice type rapid spin? Ice type triple kick? Some wildly different move? Move that gets stronger every time you do it up to 3 times?
Punishment does that. Ice type rapid spin would be nice.

Interestingly, this move already exists - Punishment, a dark type move introduced in gen4, but was cut from this generation. It seems weird they would cut punishment only to add a move with the same effect in the DLC.

Well Punishment does exactly how you explained in the first paragraph and that move is scrapped so I don't think Burning Jealousy would do that

I'm probably way off the mark on some of these by trying to adhere to a "every type is represented" mindset (fully possible some of these are of the same type or even more exclusive moves like we think Shell Side Arm is) but

Expanding Force​
Psychic​
Steel Roller​
Steel​
Scale Shot​
Bug​
Meteor Beam​
Rock​
Misty Explosion​
Fairy​
Grassy Glide​
Grass​
Rising Voltage​
Electric​
Terrain Pulse​
Normal​
Skitter Smack​
Dragon​
Burning Jealousy​
Fire​
Lash Out​
Dark​
Poltergeist​
Ghost​
Corrosive Gas​
Poison​
Coaching​
Fighting​
Flip Turn​
Water​
Triple Axel​
Ice​
Dual Wingbeat​
Flying​
Scorching Sands​
Ground​

Worth noting that "Skitter Smack" is the far more "Ravage Rampant" in french. I have no idea what's going on in Italian. Felt kind of dragon-y.
Honestly I'm most interested in Coaching, Flip Turn and Triple Axel. Ice skating inspired Pokémon?

I am skeptical that these are even real.
again hopefully we wont have to wait too long for confirmation but honestly I could see it. These aren't, like, outlandish. We had a feeling new moves were coming (instead of just old moves as new move tutors) and there's no learn list or powers or descriptions (yet).

Punishment does that. Ice type rapid spin would be nice.
Interestingly, this move already exists - Punishment, a dark type move introduced in gen4, but was cut from this generation. It seems weird they would cut punishment only to add a move with the same effect in the DLC.
You knwo I have used Punishment before but I think I always confused its effect with Assurance. An oops on my part

People jave been suggesting the terrain sounding one set terrains but um... we already have moves that do that. Theyre max moves. My suggestion is that they are attacks that oncrease in power or have a bonus effect of used in their respective terrains.
Them being Max Moves make no sense. They're clearly standard moves

To be fair, there are also already regular damaging moves that raise and lower every stat except raising Special Defense but sshhh - this could be seen as a way to help the few types with no such equivalent to work better outside of Dynamax.
And meanwhile, there seemingly are no weather-looking ones because that would be way too good - it's just the difference between running a dedicated Terrain team and a dedicated weather team. Surge Surfer isn't even VGC-legal, let alone particularly viable or easily abused, but the weathers have so many supporting Abilities that they kind of need to be restricted to what they are.

We had a feeling new moves were coming (instead of just old moves as new move tutors)
Not really a feeling, it was outright stated on the official site. These are almost certainly the move tutors that we were promised. Interestingly, there are 18 tutors (+4 signature moves) and therefore it could easily be one tutor for each type. Now I wonder whether or not we will also get old tutors in the mix.

I'm probably way off the mark on some of these by trying to adhere to a "every type is represented" mindset (fully possible some of these are of the same type or even more exclusive moves like we think Shell Side Arm is) but

Expanding Force​
Psychic​
Steel Roller​
Steel​
Scale Shot​
Bug​
Meteor Beam​
Rock​
Misty Explosion​
Fairy​
Grassy Glide​
Grass​
Rising Voltage​
Electric​
Terrain Pulse​
Normal​
Skitter Smack​
Dragon​
Burning Jealousy​
Fire​
Lash Out​
Dark​
Poltergeist​
Ghost​
Corrosive Gas​
Poison​
Coaching​
Fighting​
Flip Turn​
Water​
Triple Axel​
Ice​
Dual Wingbeat​
Flying​
Scorching Sands​
Ground​

Worth noting that "Skitter Smack" is the far more "Ravage Rampant" in french. I have no idea what's going on in Italian. Felt kind of dragon-y.
I can help with Italian to see if we can sort out the types. Judging from it, there are certainly some types with multiple moves.

Also, one of my favorite mons is Passimian, so I'm very biased. Don't worry, it'll make sense once you read my post.

Expanding Force (Vastenergia): in italian it sounds also like "large energy". Either psychic or normal.

Steel Roller (Ferrorullo): same literal meaning (the only thing that changes is that "ferro" is "iron", irrelevant), undoubtedly Steel

Scale Shot (Squamacolpo): could also translate to Scale Hit/Swing. It is worth noting that "Colpo"refers to physical, direct hits much more than "shot" would. Could be physical, certainly dragon-ish by the sound of it.

Meteor Beam (Raggiometeora): same literal meaning, could be a rock powerful special move (since it's notably lacking).

Shell Side Arm (Armaguscio): much broader translation, meaning "armed/weaponized shell". Either way, it's going to be whatever type Galarian Slowbro will be, with possibly larger distribution in the future (it is eerily similar to the Razor Shell situation)

Misty Explosion (Nebbioscoppio): same literal meaning, Fairy.

Grassy Glide (Erboscivolata): similar meaning, but it is worth noting that "scivolata" also means either "slip/slide" or, more interesting, it is the "tackle" action in soccer. It's either a general grass move that gets stronger in terrain (since you "slide"/"glide" on Grassy terrain) or (much more unlikely) a specific move for physical/humanoid-like grass types, or again something like a Soccer-playing Galarian Passimian (I know it doesn't make sense since it's already in the game, but a man can dream).

Rising Voltage (Elettroimpennata): similar meaning. Undoubtedly Electric. "Impennata" also mean "wheelie" in motorbiking, but unless it's an electric variant of flame wheel I would not pay it too much attention.

Terrain Pulse (Campopulsar): same literal meaning, certainly sounds like a terrain dependent Normal move.

Skitter Smack (Strisciacolpo): you're right, this is a weird one, since "striscia", from the verb "strisciare", it's literally "slither", and it is associated with both going faster (like going through things quickly) or slower (like dragging around), unlike skitter which is associated with accelerating. My guess is that it could be either Poison (snake mons), Dark (slithering around very conspicuously) or Dragon (snake, vyvern mons and the like)

Burning Jealousy (Fiamminvidia): almost the same meaning (invidia is more envy than jealousy, but who cares), Fire.

Lash out (Sfogarabbia): very similar meaning, either Dark or Fighting (like a boxer going nuts).

Poltergeist (Poltergeist): Ghost.

Corrosive Gas (Gas Corrosivo): same literal meaning. Either a Move that resembles Salazzle's Ability or a Poison Move that is super effective (a là Freeze Dry) against either Steel or Rock.

Coaching (Coaching): could have translated it, almost certainly Fighting. It certainly sounds like a moves for doubles or either a boosting move for accuracy (you know, by getting coached you improve your technique and finesse, etc...) by two stages or accuracy and something else by one stage (a lot of fighting mons have both Stone Edge and Dynamic Punch, this could be handy).

Flip Turn (Virata): 99% water. "Virata" is the move swimmers make at the end of the pool to change direction and go back, or either a 180 U-turn, but done by a ship. Almost certainly a Water U Turn. Much more unlikely scenario: it is also (Passimian again...) the spin you do in basketball, either while dribbling or keeping the ball in your hands, but unless there's a basketball playing Galarian Variant (basketball in the UK?), it's Water U-Turn going by all three languages.

Triple Axel (Triplo Axel): same literal meaning, certainly refers to figure skating, it's one of the most elusive and difficult moves to pull off. Sound very signatur-ish.

Dual Wingbeat (Doppia Ala): most similar meaning you could get in italian, certainly Flying. Likely similar to either Double Hit / Dragon Darts.

Scorching Sands (Sabbiardente): same literal meaning, sounds like a Ground Scald.

Jungle Healing and Wicked Blow: both very similar, both for Zarude. Grass and Dark without a doubt.

Surging Strikes (Idroraffica): "Idro" is "Hydro", a given for Water again. Raffica is either "gust" (like the Flying move) or a flurry, a rapid sequence. Could be a physical Water attack affecting either attack or defense.

I can help with Italian to see if we can sort out the types. Judging from it, there are certainly some types with multiple moves.

Also, one of my favorite mons is Passimian, so I'm very biased. Don't worry, it'll make sense once you read my post.

Expanding Force (Vastenergia): in italian it sounds also like "large energy". Either psychic or normal.

Steel Roller (Ferrorullo): same literal meaning (the only thing that changes is that "ferro" is "iron", irrelevant), undoubtedly Steel

Scale Shot (Squamacolpo): could also translate to Scale Hit/Swing. It is worth noting that "Colpo"refers to physical, direct hits much more than "shot" would. Could be physical, certainly dragon-ish by the sound of it.

Meteor Beam (Raggiometeora): same literal meaning, could be a rock powerful special move (since it's notably lacking).

Shell Side Arm (Armaguscio): much broader translation, meaning "armed/weaponized shell". Either way, it's going to be whatever type Galarian Slowbro will be, with possibly larger distribution in the future (it is eerily similar to the Razor Shell situation)

Misty Explosion (Nebbioscoppio): same literal meaning, Fairy.

Grassy Glide (Erboscivolata): similar meaning, but it is worth noting that "scivolata" also means either "slip/slide" or, more interesting, it is the "tackle" action in soccer. It's either a general grass move that gets stronger in terrain (since you "slide"/"glide" on Grassy terrain) or (much more unlikely) a specific move for physical/humanoid-like grass types, or again something like a Soccer-playing Galarian Passimian (I know it doesn't make sense since it's already in the game, but a man can dream).

Rising Voltage (Elettroimpennata): similar meaning. Undoubtedly Electric. "Impennata" also mean "wheelie" in motorbiking, but unless it's an electric variant of flame wheel I would not pay it too much attention.

Terrain Pulse (Campopulsar): same literal meaning, certainly sounds like a terrain dependent Normal move.

Skitter Smack (Strisciacolpo): you're right, this is a weird one, since "striscia", from the verb "strisciare", it's literally "slither", and it is associated with both going faster (like going through things quickly) or slower (like dragging around), unlike skitter which is associated with accelerating. My guess is that it could be either Poison (snake mons), Dark (slithering around very conspicuously) or Dragon (snake, vyvern mons and the like)

Burning Jealousy (Fiamminvidia): almost the same meaning (invidia is more envy than jealousy, but who cares), Fire.

Lash out (Sfogarabbia): very similar meaning, either Dark or Fighting (like a boxer going nuts).

Poltergeist (Poltergeist): Ghost.

Corrosive Gas (Gas Corrosivo): same literal meaning. Either a Move that resembles Salazzle's Ability or a Poison Move that is super effective (a là Freeze Dry) against either Steel or Rock.

Coaching (Coaching): could have translated it, almost certainly Fighting. It certainly sounds like a moves for doubles or either a boosting move for accuracy (you know, by getting coached you improve your technique and finesse, etc...) by two stages or accuracy and something else by one stage (a lot of fighting mons have both Stone Edge and Dynamic Punch, this could be handy).

Flip Turn (Virata): 99% water. "Virata" is the move swimmers make at the end of the pool to change direction and go back, or either a 180 U-turn, but done by a ship. Almost certainly a Water U Turn. Much more unlikely scenario: it is also (Passimian again...) the spin you do in basketball, either while dribbling or keeping the ball in your hands, but unless there's a basketball playing Galarian Variant (basketball in the UK?), it's Water U-Turn going by all three languages.

Triple Axel (Triplo Axel): same literal meaning, certainly refers to figure skating, it's one of the most elusive and difficult moves to pull off. Sound very signatur-ish.

Dual Wingbeat (Doppia Ala): most similar meaning you could get in italian, certainly Flying. Likely similar to either Double Hit / Dragon Darts.

Scorching Sands (Sabbiardente): same literal meaning, sounds like a Ground Scald.

Jungle Healing and Wicked Blow: both very similar, both for Zarude. Grass and Dark without a doubt.

Surging Strikes (Idroraffica): "Idro" is "Hydro", a given for Water again. Raffica is either "gust" (like the Flying move) or a flurry, a rapid sequence. Could be a physical Water attack affecting either attack or defense.
Wicked Blow belongs to Urshifu, specifically the Single Strike Style

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Expanding Force​
Psychic​
Steel Roller​
Steel​
Scale Shot​
Bug​
Meteor Beam​
Rock​
Misty Explosion​
Fairy​
Grassy Glide​
Grass​
Rising Voltage​
Electric​
Terrain Pulse​
Normal​
Skitter Smack​
Dragon​
Burning Jealousy​
Fire​
Lash Out​
Dark​
Poltergeist​
Ghost​
Corrosive Gas​
Poison​
Coaching​
Fighting​
Flip Turn​
Water​
Triple Axel​
Ice​
Dual Wingbeat​
Flying​
Scorching Sands​
Ground​

Would like to throw my theories into the ring. Cause its fun.

Expanding Force- gives me Big Bang vibes. My guess is that its probably just one of those 150bp moves that force you to recharge the next turn. But if I really wanted to get creative I'd say its a damaging move that also sets Gravity.

Steel Roller- I think we're all pretty set on this definitely being a Steel-type move. My initial thoughts on this move were that it was similar to 'rototiller' as there are plenty of analogues to what a "steel roller" might be in real-life, from farming/construction equipment to random tools. But, l'd also like to imagine that it could be about Roller Coasters. Roller. Often made of steel. Maybe a metal based charging move like Flare Blitz. Probably not, but if I had to make a guess I'd say 120bp recoil damaging move.

Scale Shot - I'm going to deviate here and say that is a Dragon move, not Bug. I see that, in French, 'Skitter Smack' is closer to 'Ravage Rampant' which does sound Dragon-ish, but Game Freak is often kinda wacky when it comes to Bug move names. Like, Megahorn and Savage Spinout. They don't really convey Bug in anyway, yet they are. For that reason, I could definitely see Ravage Rampant being a Bug move as well. And while Ravage Rampant DOES sound like Dragon, Skitter Smack most certainly does not, in my opinion. It would be odd for the English localization team to name a Dragon type move that. Basically, Ravage Rampant AND Skitter Smack could go be convincingly Bug, in my opinion, so my guess is that it Scale Shot is a Dragon-type move.

As for what Scale Shot does, it's anyone's guess. It doesn't sound particularly powerful, so I'd say a standard 80-90bp move. Maybe with a neat secondary effect like boosting the user's Defense.

Meteor Beam - holding out hope that this is a powerful Special Rock-type move.

Misty Explosion - Like Expanding Force. 150bp Fairy move that forces the user to recharge but also sets Misty Terrain.

Grassy Glide - Eh. I get 'Baddy Bad' vibes from this one. I heard someone say it could be a Grass priority move, so I'm gonna stick with that.

Rising Voltage - This move sounds cool. I've seen people say its a damaging Magnet Rise. My guess is that its more towards a boosting move. Perhaps a special Electric-type Dragon Dance that boosts Speed by one stage and Special Attack one stage.

Terrain Pulse - Otherwise Normal-type attack that changes type and maybe BP if used in Terrain. Maybe it maintains its Normal typing but gets secondary effects based on the terrain, like Secret Power. Grassy Terrain puts the target to sleep, Electric Terrain paralyzes the target, Psychic Terrain confuses and Misty Terrain lowers Speed.

Skitter Smack - Sounds like a physical Bug move. I'm holding out for just a solid 100bp, 100% accurate physical Bug-attack. Skitter is a type of movement attributed to Bugs, so maybe its a weaker attack that also boots speed? Like an inverse Icy Wind.

Burning Jealousy - Honestly, I have no idea what this could be. Jealousy makes me think of Attract or Rivalry, but I'm not positive. There are a lot of possibilities for what this move could do.

Lash Out - Sounds like a simple Dark-type move.

Poltergeist - The word 'poltergeist' comes from German meaning 'noisy spirit.' This could possibly mean its sound-based Ghost move?

Corrosive Gas - Perhaps a poisoning move that can hit through Steel / Poison typing? Or just a Poison-type move that ignores Steel's immunity to it, like Thousand Arrows.

Coaching - Like Decorate, its only use is in Doubles. Perhaps works like a Swords Dance but for your partner.

Flip Turn - Everything is pointing to the Water-type U-turn. The flip turn is when a swimmer flips underwater and kicks off the pool's wall to turn around. It just makes too much sense.

Triple Axel - Many of brought up the ice skating dance move. In Pokemon, 'dance' moves are often boosting moves, like Swords Dance, Quiver Dance and Dragon Dance. With that in mind, Triple Axel could be a Ice-type boosting move. Perhaps doubling speed and attack, like Shift Gear.

Dual Wingbeat - Hopeful for a reliable, no drawback Physical Flying move so the birbs don't have to rely on Brave Bird or Acrobatics as much.

Scorching Sand - Ground-type scald.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)