SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread

The more I think about it, the more I begin to wonder...

Are the new birds really short on coverage? Especially compared to the old birds?

Outside of stuff like Solar Beam and Extrasensory, the original trio was never exactly renowned for its diverse array of attack options. Zapdos was blessed with Heat Wave, but here we have Zapdos-G given Blaze Kick to match. Roost notwithstanding, the new birds are pretty evenly stacked.

The more I think about it, the more I begin to wonder...

Are the new birds really short on coverage? Especially compared to the old birds?

Outside of stuff like Solar Beam and Extrasensory, the original trio was never exactly renowned for its diverse array of attack options. Zapdos was blessed with Heat Wave, but here we have Zapdos-G given Blaze Kick to match. Roost notwithstanding, the new birds are pretty evenly stacked.
In Zapdos' case he also has CC STAB now, in addition to defiant as an ability...so it sort of offsets not having roost. He's clearly going to have a different role. Articuno seems so much better now (although psychic/flying isn't great). He has psychic with a freeze chance and his stats aren't garbage for once.

Moltres probably doesnt have roost so it cant abuse Beserk; if it had it, it'd be able to heal up and get +1 every turn until it was plus 6 and then just dominate from there.

In Zapdos' case he also has CC STAB now, in addition to defiant as an ability...so it sort of offsets not having roost. He's clearly going to have a different role. Articuno seems so much better now (although psychic/flying isn't great). He has psychic with a freeze chance and his stats aren't garbage for once.
I'd argue OG Articuno didn't have garbage stats, so much as the typing just counteracting what bulk it had. 90/100/125 was good bulk, and arguably still is. 95 special attack isn't great, but it's just enough to be OK. But Ice is such an awful typing that it undoes all of that. Especially since it would just take half its hp on switching in during previous gens thanks to rocks.

I'm anchored anymore in the CAP meta, by the way, and there the gold standard is a little bugger called Tomohawk: Flying/Fighting with Intimidate. :tomohawk:

Competitive Articuno-G will have a minor place there as the tidiest way to keep him off of the battlefield.

And yet Drampa was allowed to have Berserk + Roost in Gen 7, and I don't remember it being particularly dominating.
Drampa was also way slower, Moltres has a respectable speed stat and pretty good bulk to boot.

Lets put it this way: If you are slower than moltres and cant kill it, The moltres will heal up until you switch or its gets +2 or higher and then just starts punching holes in your squad. And considering it can boost its speed as well...

So which mon will be preferred in ou, g-zapdos or k-zapdos? I feel like kanto zap will still be more used now that it has hurricane and weather ball.
Both will be great in OU but I think Kanto Zapdos will be more versatile due to Roost allowing it to run both offensive and defensive sets.

Mono Ghost may be better than Mono Ice, but IIRC Rapid-Strike Urshifu was liked more than Single-Strike mainly because of the typing and fear of Fairy types. Yet, Single-Strike proved itself to be be more useful.

If the leaks are indeed true, then I think the Ghost Horse has more in-house competition with Dragapult, Gengar, maybe even Aegislash. It also doesn't help that if it's Special oriented, it could may as well be your standard Ghost distribution with weak Defense. Pursuit may be gone, but Sucker Punch and Knock Off could be an issue. Not to mention Chansey, Blissey being a pan in the ass for it. Potential coverage moves seen on other horses are also seem to be way more physical. Zen Headbutt, High Horsepower, Heavy Slam, Wild Charge, Play Rough, EQ, Rock Slide, CC etc.

Naturally, Ice Horse could face issues as well, but a potentially stronger STAB compared to Icicle Crash, or at least a similar base power one with 100% accuracy would be a blessing. Obligatory HDB also says hello. Maybe even AV could be viable, heck, with just usable Special Attack, Freeze-Dry for some surprises if it gets it.

So again, assuming the leaks are true, I lean towards Ice Horse, both in design and potential. Don't destroy me, GF. :"D
GF truly never listens.
But hey, at least it got coverage moves. Quite a privelege.

Was looking at all this stuff and noticed some things, here's my 2 cents:

ELON MUSK'S WET DREAM, AKA REGIELEKI:
First 21 seconds is my line of thoughts.

Sure this guy is fast, and I mean fast as fucc.
And has a super ability in Transistor, so that it can fry enemies.
But that's it - its coverage is laughable and consists of Normal-type moves, Assurance, 2 Flying-type physical attacks and Ancient Power.
100 SpA is not bas but neither it's excellent, and I wouldn't go for a physical Regieleki.
The only thing it can do is enter the field, hope the opponent has no Ground/LRod mons, and press TBolt. Gg

WHAT IF CHARIZARD COULDN'T SWALLOW THAT BIG DOTTED BALL? - UNDER THE NAME OF REGIDRAGO:
"tHiS iSn'T eVeN mY fInAl FoRm!!!1!"
Regigigas: "Uhm. Yes it is."

Well, nice to have a slightly better, Dragon-type Wailord. Regidrago has exactly 10 to 30 points more per stats than our godly whale. +30 HP, +10 attacks, +15 defenses and +20 Spe.
Fact is - Wailord sucks. And Regidrago too.
Dragon's Maw working as Transistor for Dragon-type moves is nice, not gonna lie. 80 Spe is good too, maybe 100 would have been better but eh

THE THING BORN WHEN A MUDSDALE TRIED TO F*CK AN ICEBERG OR VICE VERSA, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS GLASTIER (SEE THE JOKE WITH GLACIER, EH EH?)

GameFreak's policy on Ice-types is a big, fat middle finger in the face.
Limited to SwSh, we had a slightly faster, tiptapping Mr. Mime, and his older and fat brother Mr. Rime.
Then we had Frosmoth, with Quiver Dance and Ice Scales (yey!) but 65 Spe and no Def (nay!), basically a frozen Volcarona.
Then the Harambe gang came along and there was an abominable afro Darmanitan, so focus on bloodshed that he forgot 3 other moveslots. Or the pyro-snowman, but that's another story.
And then, they decided to give a strong Ice-type for a tundra-themed DLC. Ok
The thing has a titanic Atk and great bulk, a superb STAB when a Brussels sprout rides it, everything is happy for Ice-types. And then BAM - 30 and 50 Spe. Goddammit

LITERALLY A WINGLESS MLP x THESTRAL, OR AS A FRIEND OF MINE CALLED IT "A SAD AND DULL GALARIAN RAPIDASH"

Spectrier is what we needed in order to shit our pants on halloween night: a item free, 130-speed Chandelure that can host the same Brussels sprout and go even faster ans hit even harder with a 165 SpA 120 BP STAB.
Sure Sucker Punch is gonna send this melancholic creature in doomsland, but otherwise - how can you exactly stop it from rampaging?

THE STRANGE FRIEND OF OURS THAT ALWAYS WEAR THE HOOD ON THE EYELINE, AKA GALARIAN SLOWKING
Maybe Slowqueen this time, that is too much eyeliner.

Slowking-G is fine, I agree with the boys praising the +10 SpA from Atk on a thing weak to Foul Play (Def would have been even better but it's GF we are talking about)

Does anyone know when are the natures/IVs for G-Birds generated? When the cutscene at the tree plays, or when you encounter them? Just want to know when to save for SR-ing for good ones.

Does anyone know when are the natures/IVs for G-Birds generated? When the cutscene at the tree plays, or when you encounter them? Just want to know when to save for SR-ing for good ones.
Reports in this thread say the tree cutscene. I have not tested it myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)