Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

I also read the following on Bulbapedia: "In the upcoming The Isle of Armor expansion, there will be a way for certain Pokémon to be trained to Gigantamax." They don't have any source for it though, and I don't think I have seen it being mentioned anywhere else, so I don't know if it is true. But I really hope it is. If you can "train" a Pokémon to Gigantamax, that would fix one of my issues with the concept, so that's excellent. I wonder what they mean with "certain" Pokémon though. Will it be all of those that can potentially Gigantamax, or just some of them? If so, which ones, and why just those? I guess we'll have to wait and see. Also, regarding Gigantamax, I'm happy that the Galar starters get Gigantamax forms. They are the ones that should have gotten them in the first place, not the Kanto starters which I feel have already gotten way too much attention throughout the years.
It's from the official website
It seems that The Isle of Armor expansion will allow you to help some of the Pokémon traveling with you gain the ability to Gigantamax. This has led to the discovery of the Gigantamax forms for Rillaboom, Cinderace, and Inteleon, the Evolutions of the three Pokémon you choose from for your first partner Pokémon in the Galar region.
https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/expansionpass/pokemon/#firstpartners

"some of the pokemon traveling with you" almost certainly just means "g-max capable" pokemon in a more flavorful way

On the contrary, pretty much every fully evolved Pokemon got a new sprite, even Gen 6 and 7 mons got a makeover. There are some exceptions like certain Alolan forms, but it's pretty consistent. However very few of the NFE/LC sprites got revamps, so that's probably why you got confused.
Oh! interesting, I didn't realize how consistent this was.

Iguess they want the evovled forms to stand out more but the size & detail differerence is really funny for some of these

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If they plan a release for November, two months after what appears to be the major DLC, they're nuts business-wise. Which they are, no question about it, but to that point it would be self-sabotage. Not to mention, I see at least one or two other DLCs for early and mid 2021, to then be followed by a holiday 2021 game.
I’m hoping we’ll get at least one more DLC expansion in 2021, and HOPEFULLY it will remain covered by the expansion pass, similar to how smash was a one time purchase for all future fighters.

I’m hoping we’ll get at least one more DLC expansion in 2021, and HOPEFULLY it will remain covered by the expansion pass, similar to how smash was a one time purchase for all future fighters.
The Fighter's Pass doesn't cover DLC fighters after the upcoming January/February one.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get no more games this generation, but rather a steady trickle of DLC that eventually introduces (almost?) every Pokemon, and they just use the time to develop gen 9. Other games in a generation are always third versions or remakes, so I think we'll either get Sinnoh remakes in late 2021 or they'll just use SwSh as their base for the whole generation like they did in gens 5 and 7.

The massive DLC legendary dump makes me think no more main series games are coming this gen -- they pretty much always do that in the last game of a generation. And in all honesty I'm okay with that, if it means gen 9 gets a non-rushed dev cycle.
I think we'll get a remake, but probably in 2021. Just seems awkward that there will be a gap from holiday 2020 to holiday 2021. Someone else suggested another round of expansions for 2021 but I am doubting that. I'd think by that point the attachment rate would be small but then again, maybe that can use that as an excuse to charge another $30 ($30 + $30 = $60). Overall costs would be lower than a whole new game, but profit margins higher. Of course you'd see less sales overall. I mainly play online, so I'm not sure I would bother with another round of expansions.

Any specific dates for when more Pokemon will be shown off or is it just wait and see? Really itching to see what comes with Home and what comes with the first DLC in terms of old generation Pokemon.

I really hope that Gigantamaximization feature is available to all Pokémon capable of Gigantamaxing, instead of just the starters...

Although, to be honest, I expect more that all the BP farmed through Pokémon Bank can be transferred to HOME, and then to Sword and Shield because I have over 4500...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And Serebii always has them listed, two ways in fact. They have a page specifically for returning Pokemon and on each expansion's own page they list the returning Pokemon (Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra).

And, oh boy, Dynamax Chansey & Blissey would be fun just to see how high that HP bar can go, lol!
Chansey/Blissey will probably be the most interesting of the stall options just because they have HP that goes so high they'd theoretically get around the big issue stall pokemon have of not being able to use any of their actual tools. 1400 HP, assuming you invest max into hp, is just absurd

I'm wondering if we'll see the other unreleased HAs at all. Right now we're up to Heatran, Pumpkaboo-Small, Pumpkaboo-Large, the Tapus, the Galar starters, Skwovet, Nickit, Wooloo, Yamper, and the Galar fossils. I heavily doubt we'll see the pumpkins at least, but I can hope.

Something I did just realise is that there are a surprisingly small number of Gen 1 Pokémon in base Swsh -- you've got the main ones of course; Pikachu, Eevee, Starters, Mewtwo. But it now seems apparent to me that they were probably holding a large number back for the DLC, in order to catch the attention of people most familiar with them.

I'm wondering if we'll see the other unreleased HAs at all. Right now we're up to Heatran, Pumpkaboo-Small, Pumpkaboo-Large, the Tapus, the Galar starters, Skwovet, Nickit, Wooloo, Yamper, and the Galar fossils. I heavily doubt we'll see the pumpkins at least, but I can hope.

Something I did just realise is that there are a surprisingly small number of Gen 1 Pokémon in base Swsh -- you've got the main ones of course; Pikachu, Eevee, Starters, Mewtwo. But it now seems apparent to me that they were probably holding a large number back for the DLC, in order to catch the attention of people most familiar with them.
The pumpkaboos I think can just crossbreed
It is really weird how Heatran has just never had its HA released.

Actually, I wonder if the coop den raids will let you get HA of all the legends (where possible). I was just thinking how many were only given out once, and only in a single generation
Like the gen 4 box legends and the kami, i think they are still exclusive to Dream Radar?

Is anyone else wondering how this will affect the 2020 VGC? Does this mean that these won’t be usable this year, or that you have to pay to download the content in order to play? Barring a boycott for content that SHOULD HAVE BEEN PART OF THE GAMES FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, I’m probably going to purchase the DLC as soon as I can afford a Switch, but this will probably end up being the most amount of money I’ve ever spent on video games in a single purchase.

Is anyone else wondering how this will affect the 2020 VGC? Does this mean that these won’t be usable this year, or that you have to pay to download the content in order to play? Barring a boycott for content that SHOULD HAVE BEEN PART OF THE GAMES FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, I’m probably going to purchase the DLC as soon as I can afford a Switch, but this will probably end up being the most amount of money I’ve ever spent on video games in a single purchase.
As they explicitly said, every Pokémon being added to the game in June and November will be added to SwSh's code for free. The only thing you won't have access to is being able to catch them yourself if you don't buy, just like any same-gen third version or remake or sequel in the past.

The pumpkaboos I think can just crossbreed
Nah, doesn't work like that. The size of the Pumpkaboo out of the egg is dependent entirely on the mother, and a male can't pass down HA to a non-female HA. It's an odd case, but HA Pumpkaboo-S and Pumpkaboo-L have never been released.

Oops, sorry Kurona! I must have missed that part when going through the updates on Serebii!

Given how broke I am right now, I might still end up not buying the game and Switch until around the time of the DLC. Because let’s face it: the Galarian legendaries are cool-looking, and I’d be surprised if at least one or two of them don’t make an impact on the competitive scene.

Plenty of time to decide which Pokémon I want to port over...

just like any same-gen third version or remake or sequel in the past.
Tecnically, gen 7 broke this rule.
Sun/Moon are not able to obtain in any way the new Ultrabeasts added in USUM, nor Zeraora or UltraNecrozma forms.
In fact I remind there was a infamous issue with hackers somehow having managed to trade Zeraora before it's official release and it was possible to sent it to SM via Mystery gift, and it would break the game to those who'd receive it.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Since everyone seems confused as to what's up with Calyrex's giant head, I should probably explain it:

It's a cross between the calyx of a flower, the calyx of a brain (represented as the whole brain, presumably because synapses aren't easy to draw) and a crown.

(I thought the double calyx was a clever bit of wordplay, but I guess I'm on my own there...)
I've said this before, but stuff like this is why we need more official artbooks that explain the design choices behind certain Pokemon. I thought Calyrex was an Eiscue-tier, completely irredeemable, bafflingly terrible design until I saw this. It's still not my favorite Pokemon or anything, but I've definitely developed a new appreciation for it.

Tecnically, gen 7 broke this rule.
Sun/Moon are not able to obtain in any way the new Ultrabeasts added in USUM, nor Zeraora or UltraNecrozma forms.
In fact I remind there was a infamous issue with hackers somehow having managed to trade Zeraora before it's official release and it was possible to sent it to SM via Mystery gift, and it would break the game to those who'd receive it.
Not the first time. Latias and Latios aside, since they were in XY code, none of the new ORAS megas could interact with XY. Cosplay Pikachu was locked to the game as well, not even transferable to Bank.
Even before that the assorted "third game" formes were softlocked out. Like they would gently revert if taken online, though you could still fight them locally. And of course NEP the pokemon SO locked away it couldnt even enter the trade room or be poketransported to gen 5

"gain the ability to gmax" almost certainly means they couldn't gmax before
Right. Thats what I mean. Is your pokemon capable of gmaxxing? Then you can teach it to gmax. If you have a grimmsnarl, any grimmsnarl, you'll ve able to give it the factor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)