Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's the thing: If Sirfetch'd doesn't evolve from a Galarian Farfetch'd, then at point I feel it barely qualifies as a regional variant anymore and is basically just a regular cross-gen evo. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it would be a bit wonky considering the drastic type change.

Alolan Marowak was based off a pre-existing Pokemon. Sirfetch'd is basically a new thing, which is what cross-gen evos have always been listed as.
If this is what GF feels they have to do to bring back cross gen evolutions I ain't gonna argue the technicalities of it. ;)

Cross Chop would be nice, since it would crit 100% of the time with Stick.
But what would it cross attack with? It's lance and its shield? Guess that's a possibility but kind of defeats the purpose of giving it a shield if it's also going to use it to attack with.

Oh, that's something that also notable, it having a shield. It'll probably now get Protect and a few of its variants. It getting King's Shield would be neat, it'll also probably get Quick Guard and maybe Wide Guard. Would be cool if it also got Spiky Shield though probably not.

It getting King's Shield would be neat
If it keeps Defiant, I can imagine a hilarious interaction with Corviknight.

Sirfetch's used King's Shield!
Corviknight used U-turn!
Corviknight's Attack harshly fell!
[Corviknight's Mirror Armor]
Sirfetch'd's Attack harshly fell!
[Sirfetch'd's Defiant]
Sirfetch'd's Attack rose sharply!

Too bad Defiant doesn't boost multiple times if a single stat is dropped more than one stage.

If it keeps Defiant, I can imagine a hilarious interaction with Corviknight.

Sirfetch's used King's Shield!
Corviknight used U-turn!
Corviknight's Attack harshly fell!
[Corviknight's Mirror Armor]
Sirfetch'd's Attack harshly fell!
[Sirfetch'd's Defiant]
Sirfetch'd's Attack rose sharply!

Too bad Defiant doesn't boost multiple times if a single stat is dropped more than one stage.
Well, in that case it would depend on how the game considers "who" causes the Attack drop from King's Shield.

(But maybe it's just me still thinking how on Earth Mirror Armor will interact with Sticky Web)

Here's the thing: If Sirfetch'd doesn't evolve from a Galarian Farfetch'd, then at point I feel it barely qualifies as a regional variant anymore and is basically just a regular cross-gen evo. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it would be a bit wonky considering the drastic type change.

Alolan Marowak was based off a pre-existing Pokemon. Sirfetch'd is basically a new thing, which is what cross-gen evos have always been listed as.
Well...thats the thing: we dont know. It might NOT be a regional variant evolution and therefore be a permanent cross gen evo for the gens to come. I do see your point though. Obstagoon evolved from Galarian Linoone into a new thing, but farfetched as we know doesnt have such a form. Shouldn't be too long before news drops tho...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well...thats the thing: we dont know. It might NOT be a regional variant evolution and therefore be a permanent cross gen evo for the gens to come. I do see your point though. Obstagoon evolved from Galarian Linoone into a new thing, but farfetched as we know doesnt have such a form. Shouldn't be too long before news drops tho...
I think Game Freak has wanted to avoid regular cross-gen evolutions since Gen IV. Turning what was previously fully evolved Pokémon into mere transitional stages caused some disappointment to fans. It seems like they went for alternate evolutions instead, either via branched evolution (Sylveon being the only post-Gen IV example), temporary forms that revert after battle (Mega Evolution) or regional forms (Alolan Exeggutor/Raichu/Marowak). They've let fully evolved Pokémon stay fully evolved, let the end of the path remain the end, but opening a branched path further back. We see this with Obstagoon, they're not letting all those regular Linoone out there have their final evolution status taken away from them. Instead, they create an entirely new and separate Zigzagoon family that happens to have an extra evolution at the end. Regular Linoone stays untouched.

Giving regular Farfetch'd a regular evolution would be breaking this policy. They probably want all those legacy Farfetch'd from FRLG with an optimized moveset at level 100 to retain that "this is the optimal Farfetch'd" status. Keeping it so you can't turn it into something better by changing what it currently is. Instead, they'll probably deliver a new "blank slate" Farfetch'd where nothing would be ruined by giving it an evolution. Nobody is attached to Galarian Farfetch'd, so nobody would cry at the thought of giving it up for something better. That's the theory, at least, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out in practice when Gen IX arrives.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
We see this with Obstagoon, they're not letting all those regular Linoone out there have their final evolution status taken away from them. Instead, they create an entirely new and separate Zigzagoon family that happens to have an extra evolution at the end. Regular Linoone stays untouched.
Does make me wonder if that means Galarian Linoone is going to have a lower BST than normal Linoone. Because, sure, technically they're considered different Pokemon but if Galarian Linoone still has the same BST as normal Linoone then it does feel in a way Obstagoon is an evolution that only certain Linoone can obtain. Like maybe halve Galarian Linoone's Speed stat (and maybe give it 10 or 20 more Attack) so that normal Linoone has something over it. Heck, whole would be neat if Obstagoon got Extreme Speed, to give normal Linoone something over its Galarian side maybe keep Extreme Speed to normal Linoone (Obstagoon would still get Sucker Punch so it's not completely out of increased priority options).

Giving regular Farfetch'd a regular evolution would be breaking this policy. They probably want all those legacy Farfetch'd from FRLG with an optimized moveset at level 100 to retain that "this is the optimal Farfetch'd" status. Keeping it so you can't turn it into something better by changing what it currently is. Instead, they'll probably deliver a new "blank slate" Farfetch'd where nothing would be ruined by giving it an evolution. Nobody is attached to Galarian Farfetch'd, so nobody would cry at the thought of giving it up for something better. That's the theory, at least, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out in practice when Gen IX arrives.
So you think the blurred Pokemon this isn't an evolution but rather Galarain Farfecth'd? Or are you saying the blurred Pokemon is the evolution and that they are going to make a separate Galarian Farfetch'd?

Also there's nothing saying they can't pull a Scyther & Scizor and have them retain their BTS between evolution but rearrange the stat distribution. I'd say take away from Farfetch'd already bad SpA & Spe and put that into HP, Atk, & Def.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Does make me wonder if that means Galarian Linoone is going to have a lower BST than normal Linoone. Because, sure, technically they're considered different Pokemon but if Galarian Linoone still has the same BST as normal Linoone then it does feel in a way Obstagoon is an evolution that only certain Linoone can obtain. Like maybe halve Galarian Linoone's Speed stat (and maybe give it 10 or 20 more Attack) so that normal Linoone has something over it. Heck, whole would be neat if Obstagoon got Extreme Speed, to give normal Linoone something over its Galarian side maybe keep Extreme Speed to normal Linoone (Obstagoon would still get Sucker Punch so it's not completely out of increased priority options).

So you think the blurred Pokemon this isn't an evolution but rather Galarain Farfecth'd? Or are you saying the blurred Pokemon is the evolution and that they are going to make a separate Galarian Farfetch'd?

Also there's nothing saying they can't pull a Scyther & Scizor and have them retain their BTS between evolution but rearrange the stat distribution. I'd say take away from Farfetch'd already bad SpA & Spe and put that into HP, Atk, & Def.
There's a strong likelihood that the Obstagoon line won't have Extreme Speed. iirc the Alolan forms didn't share any Egg moves with their vanilla forms, and Extreme Speed is an egg move for normal Linoone, so if the rules stay the same Galarian Linoone/Obstagoon won't get it. If we subscribe to Codra's theory, this makes sense: Vanilla Linoone remains the BellySpeeder while its Galarian cousin gets to be a (hopefully) speedy Guts/Reckless abuser with Dark STAB.

There's a strong likelihood that the Obstagoon line won't have Extreme Speed. iirc the Alolan forms didn't share any Egg moves with their vanilla forms, and Extreme Speed is an egg move for normal Linoone, so if the rules stay the same Galarian Linoone/Obstagoon won't get it. If we subscribe to Codra's theory, this makes sense: Vanilla Linoone remains the BellySpeeder while its Galarian cousin gets to be a (hopefully) speedy Guts/Reckless abuser with Dark STAB.
Nah, Alolan and Kanto Formes have some moves that were exclusive to one of the two formes, but a good portion of the Egg Moves are shared by both. Extreme speed could still be exclusive to Hoenn Linoone, but it has a chance of being an egg move both can learn.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To clarify, I believe this will be an evolution (Sirfetch'd, according to the leak that got everything right so far) of a yet-unseen Galarian forme of Farfetch'd.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
A lot of people have been noting (and in my case, enduring) the heavily reduced news stream this time around compared to Sun and Moon. Case in point? Gigantamaxing. Notice how we haven't seen a new Gigantamax form aside from the original 3 revealed in over 2 months, which is kind of a total 180 from something like the ORAS hype cycle where every new mega in that game was revealed prior to its release. It's kind of remarkable really: 2 months and we still have no idea what else could get a Gigantamax aside from the leaks mentioning Meowth and Pikachu as well as possibly Charizard (and there's nothing confirming that 100% either, it's highly likely considering he's the champion's ace but not guaranteed).

A lot of people have been noting (and in my case, enduring) the heavily reduced news stream this time around compared to Sun and Moon. Case in point? Gigantamaxing. Notice how we haven't seen a new Gigantamax form aside from the original 3 revealed in over 2 months, which is kind of a total 180 from something like the ORAS hype cycle where every new mega in that game was revealed prior to its release. It's kind of remarkable really: 2 months and we still have no idea what else could get a Gigantamax aside from the leaks mentioning Meowth and Pikachu as well as possibly Charizard (and there's nothing confirming that 100% either, it's highly likely considering he's the champion's ace but not guaranteed).
The leak also mentioned Gigamax Lapras, with a musical motif.

Sure a regular Lapras was seen dynamaxing in the Switch Light commercial, but the website mentions that not every Pokemon capable of Gigamaxing can do so (hence the levels)

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
While I wish we'd get something especially since Sirfetch'd is on the horizon, the amount they are keeping under wraps for this is great and they really aren't diving in too hard yet. SM was ingamois for its spoiling and the datamine of the demo ruined a lot of the fun of the game. The fact that they are keeping so much close to the chest is great, and only builds the type for me.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
While I wish we'd get something especially since Sirfetch'd is on the horizon, the amount they are keeping under wraps for this is great and they really aren't diving in too hard yet. SM was ingamois for its spoiling and the datamine of the demo ruined a lot of the fun of the game. The fact that they are keeping so much close to the chest is great, and only builds the type for me.
For sure, I understand and can fully appreciate the importance of not divulging too much this time around. However, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't really care for spoilers (I read a lot of the plot summaries before seeing DBS Broly and still had a blast at the theater), so for me this wait has been excruciating. I just want to see more of the Galarian forms for use in the speculatory meta, please Masudaddy... ...Again though, I understand that this approach is preferred by the majority and won't make too much of a fuss about it. Wouldn't wanna ruin the fun for anyone else!

On the subject of Galarian forms, I feel like this time around they could be a bit more effective at being competitive revitalizations as well as design reimaginings. I feel like in Gen 7, a lot of the Alolan forms got overshadowed just because the power creep had gotten so absurd by that point to where a type change wasn't good enough to elevate/keep these forms relevant in mainstream competitive play. Now with [REDACTED] removing a lot of the bloat and additional evolutions for some of them, I feel mons like Obstagoon could find more success than they could if they were introduced in Gen 7 or something. Heck, just look at Let's Go: All the Alolan forms were kept around in that game and generally speaking they were way more successful. The only ones that got worse were those that depended on a specific item or move that didn't return for that game (Marowak and Ninetales come to mind). Even now, Galarian Weezing has been pretty ok in the speculatory meta, not top tier by any means but solid B tier OU.

While I wish we'd see at least a couple more Galar forms and the mid-evolutions of the starters, I must agree that I've been very happy with how little they've revealed of the new creatures. I remember being very frustrated when ORAS came out and it had no surprises for me in terms of new Megas, and that's left me very satisfied with everything being kept under wraps even this close to release. Good job, Game Freak.

One thing I would like them to tell us more about though is Home, because as I've said before; that's actually very critical information on how much I can expect to be paying for this game, what sort of support it will have, when we can expect Home to release, and ultimately whether or not I choose to get it (or rather, how soon I choose to get it -- if Home is an additional cost, I might want to wait until Christmas, for instance). In-Game stuff I'm very happy to see kept a secret, but not product information like this.

Very excited/interested for "Sirfetch'd", always liked DUX. Seems like they are taking a grounded route with its new design. I'm looking forward to a possible shield bash or some new move that shows off its weapons. Stick access would be a great boon. I hope Farfetch'd can withstand the weight of the burden of that leek though, because with that and the loss of Flying typing, the trends of Aslowla come to mind. Also I bet the blanked out height will include the leek or something odd like that. Or maybe it's just similar and the weight was purposely revealed as the outlier, people have been on that point at least.

The leak hinting about this was a while ago, so maybe they're rolling with it and changing up how the reveals will be done. Clicking the thing on the homepage even brings up a Rotom cry, whatever that could mean. Sure has brought up more discussion than the usual.

Im a little conflicted. On one hand its very hard to know whats going to show up next, which is good. On the other, ive been so used to leaks and spoilers by pokemon that it became normal for me. We've only had one credible leak this season and while that remains accurate, its almost unheard of. SwSh is 2 months out and there's very little we know its both exciting and anxiety inducing all at once.

I do think they should show off a biiiit more though. Like, not even just the pokemon, but earlier they showed off new abilities and even items. Obstagoon comes with a brand new move and we have no ingame description on what it even does.
...wait a minute, how many new attacks do we know of? JUST 5?! Almost every pokemon last gen came with a signature attack, thats so crazy to me.

In short, this new news trickling is better for keeping surprises, but they can be just a tad less secretive.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So in other recent news, it has been revealed, at least according to the official Pokemon website, that Galar will likely not have an Elite Four.

Instead of the standard Elite Four, it has been revealed that the League will feature a special competition called the "Champion Cup", where a tournament will be held and you will face several powerful Trainers (most of who have completed 8 Gym Badges), and face off against each other in an elimination tournament where the victor of the final round will be able to face off against Leon.

A lot of people have expressed disappointment at the lack of an E4, but I personally find the Champion Cup to be an exciting new prospect, and a very interesting spin on things. It seems the League in Galar will be done Pokemon anime style, and as I said in the past, I love how the road to becoming Champion becomes a much bigger deal as a public venture in Galar, and the Champion Cup will really sell that: it doesn't feel like you are the only person aiming to become Champion, but rather you are one among many trying to compete to reach the title.

And as a battler who has extensive experience with the competitive scene myself, this is also very exciting for because this means there will be a lot of variety in the League battles: instead of the usual four monotype teams (while a good challenge for the most part), it looks like there will be immense potential to face off against several interesting and varied teams a la the PWT and even Battle Facilities, which I absolutely love. You can't plan specifically for certain teams, and you won't go in knowing who specifically you'll face, adding to the potential fun of the Champion Cup. This will also have the potential to buff the replayability value of the League immensely, and also opens up great possibilities for post-game rematches, and add to variety. We'll need more information to be certain, but especially if this turns out to be a tournament, this could be a very fun and exciting new spin on the in-game League from the standard Elite Four format that we've had for so many generations. I definitely look forward to seeing how they will plan out the Champion Cup for sure.

Anyway, feel free to discuss your opinions on this, and I would love to hear what you guys think. Maybe the lack of an E4 is a bit of a disappointment, but this Champion Cup is looking to be a very unique, yet very fun new spin and I'm definitely looking forward to engaging in it once Sword and Shield finally come out.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So in other recent news, it has been revealed, at least according to the official Pokemon website, that Galar will likely not have an Elite Four.

Instead of the standard Elite Four, it has been revealed that the League will feature a special competition called the "Champion Cup", where a tournament will be held and you will face several powerful Trainers (most of who have completed 8 Gym Badges), and face off against each other in an elimination tournament where the victor of the final round will be able to face off against Leon.

A lot of people have expressed disappointment at the lack of an E4, but I personally find the Champion Cup to be an exciting new prospect, and a very interesting spin on things. It seems the League in Galar will be done Pokemon anime style, and as I said in the past, I love how the road to becoming Champion becomes a much bigger deal as a public venture in Galar, and the Champion Cup will really sell that: it doesn't feel like you are the only person aiming to become Champion, but rather you are one among many trying to compete to reach the title.

And as a battler who has extensive experience with the competitive scene myself, this is also very exciting for because this means there will be a lot of variety in the League battles: instead of the usual four monotype teams (while a good challenge for the most part), it looks like there will be immense potential to face off against several interesting and varied teams a la the PWT and even Battle Facilities, which I absolutely love. You can't plan specifically for certain teams, and you won't go in knowing who specifically you'll face, adding to the potential fun of the Champion Cup. This will also have the potential to buff the replayability value of the League immensely, and also opens up great possibilities for post-game rematches, and add to variety. We'll need more information to be certain, but especially if this turns out to be a tournament, this could be a very fun and exciting new spin on the in-game League from the standard Elite Four format that we've had for so many generations. I definitely look forward to seeing how they will plan out the Champion Cup for sure.

Anyway, feel free to discuss your opinions on this, and I would love to hear what you guys think. Maybe the lack of an E4 is a bit of a disappointment, but this Champion Cup is looking to be a very unique, yet very fun new spin and I'm definitely looking forward to engaging in it once Sword and Shield finally come out.
While it hasn't been enough games to establish a pattern, it seems like GF has been trying various things to shake up the standard "8 gyms + pokemon league" formula: First the trials in Gen 7, now this. I dig it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

This isn't new info, we've known about the Champion Cup for a few months. It also doesn't mean there's no Elite Four, all its said is the winner of the Champion Cup will get a chance to challenge the Champion for their title. At first it sounds straight forward, but there's nothing saying there is or isn't an Elite Four you have to beat before challenging the Champion.

But if there is no Elite Four, eh. Already the Champion Cup mixes things up by having a tournament the player needs to participate through so essentially the trainer you face (most likely your Rivals and maybe some other incidental characters, maybe even throw in the other version's exclusive Gym Leaders as normal trainers) will be acting like a pseudo-Elite Four (just like how the Island Challenge was a pseudo-Gym Challenge).

Now the potential of this system does provide an interesting opportunity for not only more difficult battles by having opponents who aren't Type specialists but if they have a batch of trainers can randomize the few you'll have to battle. Though since it mentions the Champion Cup only happens once a year it does make me wonder how that's going to work with League rematches.

That all said, I personally have no problem with the "8 Gyms + Elite Four + Champion" system and in some ways think there's still plenty they could do with that system. Like letting us challenge the Gyms in any order, the Elite Four don't have to be Type specialists but use other strategies/themes, they just started with having exclusive Gym Leaders which has a ton of potential in and of itself.

At least the first matchup is probably fixed (some combination of Hop+Bede+Marnie+Someone else you know before Leon), and subsequent runs would be more fluid. Shedding the easily cheesable monotype teams for something more akin to Ace Trainer like matchups would be a very welcome change in my opinion, giving us more challenge to the end of the main story. It also meshes a lot better with the theme of Galar, and feels more realistic and engaging than a static Elite 4 who sit in the same room all day with a small number of exceptions.

This isn't new info, we've known about the Champion Cup for a few months. It also doesn't mean there's no Elite Four, all its said is the winner of the Champion Cup will get a chance to challenge the Champion for their title. At first it sounds straight forward, but there's nothing saying there is or isn't an Elite Four you have to beat before challenging the Champion.

But if there is no Elite Four, eh. Already the Champion Cup mixes things up by having a tournament the player needs to participate through so essentially the trainer you face (most likely your Rivals and maybe some other incidental characters, maybe even throw in the other version's exclusive Gym Leaders as normal trainers) will be acting like a pseudo-Elite Four (just like how the Island Challenge was a pseudo-Gym Challenge).

Now the potential of this system does provide an interesting opportunity for not only more difficult battles by having opponents who aren't Type specialists but if they have a batch of trainers can randomize the few you'll have to battle. Though since it mentions the Champion Cup only happens once a year it does make me wonder how that's going to work with League rematches.

That all said, I personally have no problem with the "8 Gyms + Elite Four + Champion" system and in some ways think there's still plenty they could do with that system. Like letting us challenge the Gyms in any order, the Elite Four don't have to be Type specialists but use other strategies/themes, they just started with having exclusive Gym Leaders which has a ton of potential in and of itself.
1568676682301.png

This should confirms that there is no Elite 4, since this is how you decide who challenges the reigning champion rather than the Elite 4 gauntlet.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
1568676682301.png

This should confirms that there is no Elite 4, since this is how you decide who challenges the reigning champion rather than the Elite 4 gauntlet.
Just cause it doesn't mention an Elite Four doesn't mean there isn't any.

"Congratulations, (player)! You won the Champion Cup so now have the right to challenge Leon for the Champion title! But the Champion has his own trick up his sleeve: he has personally selected four elite trainers to be his retainers: The Elite Four! You need to defeat them before challenging Leon, with no healing except from your own bag between battles. Prepare well and battle on!"

Alternatively, I pointed out how will they do the League Challenge if the Champion Cup is once a year. Maybe, even though it won't be for the Champion title, anyone who wants to just battle the Champion can do so by challenging an Elite Four who will then set-up the friendly match.

Just cause it doesn't mention an Elite Four doesn't mean there isn't any.

"Congratulations, (player)! You won the Champion Cup so now have the right to challenge Leon for the Champion title! But the Champion has his own trick up his sleeve: he has personally selected four elite trainers to be his retainers: The Elite Four! You need to defeat them before challenging Leon, with no healing except from your own bag between battles. Prepare well and battle on!"

Alternatively, I pointed out how will they do the League Challenge if the Champion Cup is once a year. Maybe, even though it won't be for the Champion title, anyone who wants to just battle the Champion can do so by challenging an Elite Four who will then set-up the friendly match.
It's technically not outside the realm of possibility, but it would be very awkward to have both the league cup and the Elite 4. The screenshot outright says that the cup is for the right to challenge the reigning champion for their seat, not challenging the league or the Elite 4, but it specifically calls out the reigning champion. To me this seems like a very strong indicator that the Elite 4 won't be in these games, at least in any sort of official capacity. If there was an Elite 4 you had to fight first, winning the cup doesn't actually grant you the right to challenge the reigning champion, which would basically make official in-game information from the Pokemon website wrong.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's technically not outside the realm of possibility, but it would be very awkward to have both the league cup and the Elite 4. The screenshot outright says that the cup is for the right to challenge the reigning champion for their seat, not challenging the league or the Elite 4, but it specifically calls out the reigning champion. To me this seems like a very strong indicator that the Elite 4 won't be in these games, at least in any sort of official capacity. If there was an Elite 4 you had to fight first, winning the cup doesn't actually grant you the right to challenge the reigning champion, which would basically make official in-game information from the Pokemon website wrong.
Alright, but just remember...

(... Or, you would have been...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)