Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Some thoughts on the new teaser being a farfetch’d evo:

-it runs away from you on the Pokémon page just like farfetch’d did in GSC in the forest mini game.

-farfetch’d are as attached to their leek as cubone’s are to to the skull of their mothers, so consider this: “When it’s (leek) shatters, it retires from battle”.

-A favorite sport of knights in the Middle Ages was jousting, where two knights ran at each other with lances, with lances often shattering.

-if this is how farfetch’d train, doesn’t it make sense for them to lose their flying type upon evolution? They are so strong and fearless they just charge at their enemies on foot instead of running away.

If that is really Farfetch'd or its evolution, it now makes sense why GF gave it First Impression. It always boggled my mind why they would put it on the bird. However, with this teaser, this changes everything. On another note, if Escavalier were to make an appearance in gen 8, that would be a good opportunity to give it First Impression.
As for the monotype, I'm not really enthusiastic about it. Being immune to ground and spikes and resisting Fighting moves is never bad. I do hope, though, that its single type is covered by, let's say, good options. First Impression is not really bad on it, especially when you want to deal with Psychic Pkm. Furthermore, if the Pkm were to retain its hidden ability "Defiance", that would discourage Intimidate user. Having STAB Fighting is not bad at all to deal with Steel Pkm, though I do hope it will gain a good STAB move.
Since Porenta has low stats, odds are it will receive huge boosts through evolution; just look at Yanma and Yanmega: The former goes from 390 to 515!
Other than that, Porenta doesn't have a bad movepool; it has Knock Off, Poison Jab to deal with fairys, and Leaf Blade to deal with annoying water Pkm such as Quagsire and Gastrodon. That could be considered a small niche over other Fighting Pkm.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In the French official site, we have: "Seuls les ##### ayant survécu à de nombreux combats atteignent ce ##### #####. Si son ##### se ###trit, il se retire du champ de bataille."
English version for comparison: "Only ##### that have survived many battles can attain this #####. When this Pokémon's ##### ###ers, it will retire from combat."

Well, that gives out a little more infos than the English version.

Red part: Farfetch'd, Canarticho, litteral translation, nothing new.

Purple part: In French, there are two words, while only one in English. But the real important part is the word just before: "ce". In French, it implies that the following group will be male (as in the grammatical gender). While both "form" and "evolution" are female, we can see "stage d'évolution" fitting (stage being male). I see no version with "form" that would fit, implying that this is indeed an evolution.

Nothing to say about the blue part, it could be either Shield, Sword, Leek, any male word or any female word starting with a voyel.

Finally the green part: there are very few verbs in French that ends with "trit". It's a very unusual form for only five verbs: Contrir, Flétrir, Meurtrir, Pétrir and Repétrir.
  • Contrir means to make someone worry. It doesn't make sense, and it's actually a very old word that is not used anymore (I didn't even know it before today tbh).
  • Pétrir (and reprétrir) means to knead (or knead again). Also it would be "se pétrir", basically a self-kneading Leek... I pass.
  • Meurtrir can mean "to kill" (so for "se meurtrir", we get the suiciding Leek). It can also mean "to bruise" but it doesn't make more sense.
  • Se flétrir finally means to wither and is the best fitting. It basically confirms the vegetal part of the Pokémon, being either the Leek or the Shield.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Interesting bit of trivia: Sirfetch'd is our first Fighting type regional variant! That leaves only Water and Bug to be represented by the mechanic, I believe.

I also wonder if it'll have any unique properties. A lot of recently introduced Pokemon have some kind of signature ability/move, and a pure Fighting type with Steadfast seems relatively generic in that sense. Then again, if it's compatible with Stick...

And one more thing: there's a non-neglible chance Sacred Sword Farfetch'd could be a real thing in an official Pokemon game. What a wonderful timeline we inhabit...

Man ı mean ı still like galarian farfecd but boy did ı really asked too much about:blobpensive: being flying fighting instead of pure fight,first polteageist then this.Whats wrong with your type distribution gf.

Some thoughts on the new teaser being a farfetch’d evo:

-it runs away from you on the Pokémon page just like farfetch’d did in GSC in the forest mini game.

-farfetch’d are as attached to their leek as cubone’s are to to the skull of their mothers, so consider this: “When it’s (leek) shatters, it retires from battle”.

-A favorite sport of knights in the Middle Ages was jousting, where two knights ran at each other with lances, with lances often shattering.

-if this is how farfetch’d train, doesn’t it make sense for them to lose their flying type upon evolution? They are so strong and fearless they just charge at their enemies on foot instead of running away.
And if it's wielding a long leek lance and big shield, its wings seem a bit preoccupied so it probably doesn't fly anymore/forgot to.

Not being able to fly hasn't prevented some Pokémon from getting a Flying-type.

Admittedly, they are extremely scarse (the Doduo and Mantyke lines; Toucannon too) but it has not been a restriction.

Other than that, Porenta doesn't have a bad movepool; it has Knock Off, Poison Jab to deal with fairys, and Leaf Blade to deal with annoying water Pkm such as Quagsire and Gastrodon. That could be considered a small niche over other Fighting Pkm.
Gallade has all of those moves and is confirmed to be in the game. On top of that, it has STAB Zen Headbutt for Poison-types that would generally give Fighting-types issues. It's kind of funny, too, because Gallade also has the Steadfast ability despite preferring Justified. I personally hope Galarian Farfetch'd/potential evo has something else to offer that lets it distinguish itself. Perhaps a signature move or something.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Gallade has all of those moves and is confirmed to be in the game. On top of that, it has STAB Zen Headbutt for Poison-types that would generally give Fighting-types issues. It's kind of funny, too, because Gallade also has the Steadfast ability despite preferring Justified. I personally hope Galarian Farfetch'd/potential evo has something else to offer that lets it distinguish itself. Perhaps a signature move or something.
I believe that Sirfetch'd will be more of a bulky Fighting in the vein of Throh or Hariyama. I'm inferring this from its weight and base Fetch'd's surprisingly low speed for a Flying type, which along with losing the Flying type seems to suggest being weighed down by its weapons and not improving much speed-wise. There's also the possibility of it being allowed to use Stick, as well as a unique hidden ability or signature move like a lot of Alolan and Galarian Pokemon have had so far.

I believe that Sirfetch'd will be more of a bulky Fighting in the vein of Throh or Hariyama. I'm inferring this from its weight and base Fetch'd's surprisingly low speed for a Flying type, which along with losing the Flying type seems to suggest being weighed down by its weapons and not improving much speed-wise. There's also the possibility of it being allowed to use Stick, as well as a unique hidden ability or signature move like a lot of Alolan and Galarian Pokemon have had so far.
If it still somehow happens to retain Roost, that would be huge for Fighting. There isn't a single mono-Fighting-type outside of Arceus-Fighting that has a reliable recovery move outside of Drain Punch.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
If it still somehow happens to retain Roost, that would be huge for Fighting. There isn't a single mono-Fighting-type outside of Arceus-Fighting that has a reliable recovery move outside of Drain Punch.
That would be sick! It's far from implausible, either. We've had avian-ish/non-Flying Pokemon in the past who could learn Roost (Dunsparce, Flygon, Empoleon, Drampa, Buzzwole, etc.), and even if it can't learn it via TM anymore for some reason it could be an egg move: As far as I know no regional variant has ever changed Egg Groups.

Not being able to fly hasn't prevented some Pokémon from getting a Flying-type.

Admittedly, they are extremely scarse (the Doduo and Mantyke lines; Toucannon too) but it has not been a restriction.
Mantine is based off of rays that breach, and has numerous references in the Pokedexes to soaring and gliding out of the water. Not explicitly flying, but sort of. Toucannon definitely flies, its model is just grounded.

The only Flying types that don't fly or do something in the air are Doduo and Dodrio, and I think that's an artifact of Flying type's beta name being Bird. Maybe Gyarados, I don't remember if it's ever shown to glide through the air or something.

Last edited:
This may have been discussed some before, but now that we've seen quite a few mons from Galar, what does everyone see regarding the designs that sets Galarian mons apart from other generations?

I recall feeling like the designs in Gen V were the most different than the other generations. Do you think Galar has mons that "fit in" design-wise? So far they all feel like they fit in pretty well.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I feel like it has to be mentioned: This is a pretty competent little bit of marketing, completely outside what we've seen from The Pokémon Company before. Sure, we've had silhouettes (and that awful case of Sun/Moon's covers being shown with the cover legendaries blanked out), but giving incomplete information like this is pretty unprecedented. Kudos to whoever TPC hired to help with marketing.

I feel like it has to be mentioned: This is a pretty competent little bit of marketing, completely outside what we've seen from The Pokémon Company before. Sure, we've had silhouettes (and that awful case of Sun/Moon's covers being shown with the cover legendaries blanked out), but giving incomplete information like this is pretty unprecedented. Kudos to whoever TPC hired to help with marketing.
There's also Ultra Necrozma sneaking early by each half of it appearing in each over in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I highly doubt it's Farfetch'd. A standard Farfetch'd weights 33.1 lbs. / 15 kg. This new Pokemon weighs 7 times as much, clocking in at 257.9 lbs / 116.9 kg. Unless Galarian Farfetch'd puts on some serious weight, or Sirfetch'd is a c h u n k y b o i , I think this is something new entirely.

Edit: Actually, on second thought, I really don't know because that "lance" looks a LOT like Farfetch'd's leek, and the body plan is pretty similar. Given that it's pure Fighting instead of Flying, the massive amount of weight it gains is most likely due to its "armor" and it might not be able to fly anymore because of it.
Would you say you thought it was a bit, far-fetched?

Yeah, the extra weight has to be from its lance and shield (maybe itself gets a bit bigger & bulky to hold it, but majority of the weight is from its equipment).

I was skeptical at first too, but then i realized thete could be a galarian farfetched AND an evolution just like the linoone lines
Farfetch'd doesn't need a Galarian Form to evolve into Sirfetch'd. After all Pikachu, Cubone, & Exeggutor evolve into Alolan forms just fine and it looks like the same will be for Koffing. This could even be to Farfetch's benefits, unlike Linoone which needs to be its Galarian Forme to evolve into the stronger Obstagoon, there would be no reason not to let Farfetch'd from elsewhere to evolve into Sirfetch'd (probably would require a special condition for this to happen to a Farfetch'd not from Galar, but that's for a future game to worry about).

Edit post because someone sent me the original Farfetch'd Evolution from GS Beta
Oh, yeah, I didn't even think about that. Awesome that they're revamping the GS Beta Pokemon, meaning those Pokemon may still have a chance to be made into real Pokemon some day! :bloblul:

Now the 25 Attack buff to Farfetch'd, which was tied with Swellow's 25 Special Attack buff as the highest singular stat buff SM gave to an older Pokemon, makes sense.
Galarian Swellow (and/or evo) confirmed? Taillow, Swellow... Excellow?

Then again, Normal/Flying ---> Fighting would be a pretty weird type change for a normal cross-gen evo
There's precedent:
1. Cubone went from pure Ground to Alolan Marowak's Fire/Ghost.
2. Bellossom (and Mega Aggron) go from being a duel-type to a single-type. Heck, Bellossom was also a normal cross-gen evo.
3. Dartrix goes from Grass/Flying to Decidueye's Grass/Ghost.
4. There's a few bird Pokemon who aren't Flying-type such as Torchic, Piplup, & Spritzee family.

With the noted weight increase from the lance and shield, Sirfetch'd gave up being an efficient flyer to become a grounded fighter.

Friendly reminder that Farfetched has First Impression, for some reason. Sounds like some neat tech on a fighting type.
Farfetch'd has quite a few unique things about it that being a pure Fighting-type can take advantage of:

First Impression & U-turn covers Psychic-type weakness.
Poison Jab, Steel Wing & Iron Tail covers Fairy-type weakness.

Ironically, it doesn't have anything to deal with its new Flying-type weakness, though that's not the only trick it has up its sleeve.

For wielding a leek as a weapon it gets Leaf Blade, Night Slash, Slash, Brutal Swing, Knock Off, Throat Chop, & Swords Dance.
For being a winged animal gets Roost, Tailwind, & Defog.
Being a former Flying-type gets Fly, Sky Attack, Brave Bird, Acrobatics, & Aerial Ace.

If it has the right stats and/or Ability it could be a very versatile Fighting-type. Only thing it needs would be Fighting-type moves (Farfetch'd only gets Final Gambit and Revenge) though with it wielding a lance it could very well get Sacred Sword, Sky Uppercut, and maybe Close Combat (or Superpower).

... Man, who thought we'd ever be getting this excited over Farfetch'd?

Something about this is confusing me. If this really is just Galarian Farfatch'd (or a evolution of Farfetch'd), why are they teasing it like it's some mysterious glitch?
Them making Farfetch'd awesome has broken the fabric of reality.

This may have been discussed some before, but now that we've seen quite a few mons from Galar, what does everyone see regarding the designs that sets Galarian mons apart from other generations?

I recall feeling like the designs in Gen V were the most different than the other generations. Do you think Galar has mons that "fit in" design-wise? So far they all feel like they fit in pretty well.
Hmm... the Gen VIII Pokemon designs feel like they were made to give most of the Pokemon either a purpose or have adapted to Galar's culture.

Compared to, say, Gen V who Pokemon were designed with the idea of having a wide variety to represent Unova being based on New York which is a cultural melting pot. Galar is based on Britain which was heavily industrialized thus a lot of Pokemon having a purpose or adaption to such an industrialized region.

I would love more of things like this. Shows you don't need to actually show us the Pokemon and telling us all about it, you can keep a Pokemon's identity or stuff about it a secret for the player to discover as they play through the game.

Make me actually not want to them reveal anything more about the Legendaries or the Starter's evos. Let me see discover all that on my own like I did when I played my Blue version over 20 years ago!

I also like how all this is also being done ON THE OFFICIAL SITE and it wasn't announced via twitter or a Youtube video. Sure its a bit obvious this time, but would be awesome in the future they hid little secrets for us to uncover that gives us clue what's in the game. It's not just Pokemon but they could do this with characters and locations (probably not mechanics unless it's supposed to be a secret mechanic).

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Here's the thing: If Sirfetch'd doesn't evolve from a Galarian Farfetch'd, then at point I feel it barely qualifies as a regional variant anymore and is basically just a regular cross-gen evo. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it would be a bit wonky considering the drastic type change.

Alolan Marowak was based off a pre-existing Pokemon. Sirfetch'd is basically a new thing, which is what cross-gen evos have always been listed as.

If it has the right stats and/or Ability it could be a very versatile Fighting-type. Only thing it needs would be Fighting-type moves (Farfetch'd only gets Final Gambit and Revenge) though with it wielding a lance it could very well get Sacred Sword, Sky Uppercut, and maybe Close Combat (or Superpower).
Cross Chop would be nice, since it would crit 100% of the time with Stick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)