Post your searing hot takes

Congratulations On Reaching 15 Posts!!
yes, I do believe condradulations are indeed in order for this most esteemed user,
for finally achieving a hard earned 15 posts on equally esteemed Smogon Forum Smogoff.
Well done! Now you are free to:
  • Apply for National Dex OU tutoring
  • I think maybe enter tournaments?
  • Idk that's it I think????
What an incredible mark you have made on this forum! Thank you for making Smogoff
a better place and being a part of this wonderful community,
and not just using it as a public toilet for you to smear shit all over like a deranged person in an asylum!!
Looking forward to watching you hone your craft as a postér and
help us develop our society
I mean if it means that much to y'all i can keep doing it

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
we also need pokemon/abilities/items that exploit wonder room and magic room. its not fair that trick room gets all the fame out of the three, especially when its so annoying

Starter pokemon are mediocre overall. There's like three genuinely standout ones (Zard, Swampert... Sceptile??), but most of the other "good" ones are either too genericky (Venu, Blaze, Greninja) or too forced (Nape, Empoleon, Decid, Boom). Inteleon's my favorite but it's kinda too generic and too forced to be standout lol.
I know it's the point of the thread to have hot takes but how is Venusaur, the most bizarre, indeterminate starter "generic" but Charizard, a regular dragon with a fire tail, is "standout"

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I know it's the point of the thread to have hot takes but how is Venusaur, the most bizarre, indeterminate starter "generic" but Charizard, a regular dragon with a fire tail, is "standout"
GF has successfully convinced millions of people that Charizard is a unique and interesting design by spamming them with it so much that it's impossible to forget. You think it must be a standout design because it stands out in your head as one of the iconic Pokémon, so popular that its name doesn't come up as a spelling error as I'm typing this post, but that's just because GF did the video game equivalent of overplaying a mediocre song on the radio until people like it.

To be fair, its simple design is probably what makes it a) so appealing and b) easy to make multiple forms and other iterations. complexity/uniqueness isn't necessarily good design.

but calling Venusaur generic when there's no clear consensus on what the hell animal it even is... that sent me

I

I mean, I get giving extra attention to your company mascot, but charizard didn't exactly do anything to earn the fawning it gets.
I mean, that's not true. it was on the cover of both the Japanese and International first games, was a major character in the tv show, was the most popular card... it arguably deserves it more than Pikachu.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
i don’t really mind if you’re a picky eater but if you’re gonna go to fancy restaurants just to order chicken tenders every time just go to kfc or something

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Charizard is a good design you guys are just insufferable haters
charizard was never a bad design. like, ever. there's quite literally nothing bad about it. its a fire-breathing dragon. you can't go wrong with it. its just hated on because people wanna 'gET bAck at DoZ gEnWunERZ' because its overrated or some shit, and its like

why bother at this point?

anyways my own take: johto is not the ultimate region like some people seem to think. you've heard the stories of 'le level curve' and 'trriple the underleveled dragonites, triple the fun' but there's also fun and games like:

• the plot was just not, imagine the final boss of johto team rocket being some nobody with 2 unevolved mons
  • the fact that more than a third of the gym leaders don't use any johtomons. at all. its not even like bugsy where the johto bugs like heracross would be nuclear at the current level, morty chuck and falkner are stuck with all kantomons for no other reason than just spite i suppose. misdreavus deserved better than being shunted for gastly's evolutionary line as the entirety of the gym leader's team.
  • the open-worldedness of the region works against it because of ONCE MORE THE LEVEL CURVE YAYYY i love fighting level 25 wild mons after the 8th gym
  • why the hell did bruno come back for the elite four? i understand koga since his daughter janine takes up the poison gym for him, but why's bruno coming back AGAIN??? why doe

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Starter pokemon are mediocre overall. There's like three genuinely standout ones (Zard, Swampert... Sceptile??), but most of the other "good" ones are either too genericky (Venu, Blaze, Greninja) or too forced (Nape, Empoleon, Decid, Boom). Inteleon's my favorite but it's kinda too generic and too forced to be standout lol.
no cinderace bad list

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 11)