Move Power-Up Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally can see this being used on Breloom with Technician for 90 BP with STAB and on Blaziken-M for an effective Dragon Dance boost each turn Power-Up Punch is used. Iron Fist users, not likely as it only hits 72 BP with STAB and 48 BP without; this is assuming it's boosted by Iron Fist.

One possible use of this move could be for a Pokemon with Assault Vest. Assault Vest doesn't allow you tu use status moves so you can use Power-Up Punch instead of a boosting move. A bulky fighting attacker could work that way.
Like, say, Conkeldurr, who has Iron Fist to boost it, plus Drain Punch for Recovery and Mach Punch for priority. And a Coverage Move for the last slot.

Seems quite gimmicky but that's the only thing I can think of right now.

I personally can see this being used on Breloom with Technician for 90 BP with STAB and on Blaziken-M for an effective Dragon Dance boost each turn Power-Up Punch is used. Iron Fist users, not likely as it only hits 72 BP with STAB and 48 BP without; this is assuming it's boosted by Iron Fist.
I could see the Breloom set working since Low Sweep was "buffed."

One possible use of this move could be for a Pokemon with Assault Vest. Assault Vest doesn't allow you tu use status moves so you can use Power-Up Punch instead of a boosting move. A bulky fighting attacker could work that way.
Like, say, Conkeldurr, who has Iron Fist to boost it, plus Drain Punch for Recovery and Mach Punch for priority. And a Coverage Move for the last slot.

Seems quite gimmicky but that's the only thing I can think of right now.
That's like... I don't want to say a Choice Item but for Special Defense but that's definitely an interesting item... I don't know, Conkeldurr still seems better off running a Life Orb.

I'm using it on Mega Kangaskhan, and yes, it's essentially a Swords Dance that does damage. (except on ghost types of course) Can't think of anyone else it would be useful on, though.

Mmmmm actually isn't that usefull but i can be saving some pokes that need an extra oomph and don't have a lot of boosting moves... Also it can break sashes on switches and making the pokemon strong enough to manage the OHKO with a coverage move, almost like Flame Charge. Yup, it's going to be outclassed by Swords Dance or Dragon dance (even by Curse, bulk up and Coil) but i think that probably power up punch can have some gimmicky use in a non swords dance pokemon...

Anyone try this on a Physical Attacker Greninja yet?

Protean
- Power Up Punch
- U-Turn
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

I am trying to figure out if a Physical set works using this set since you can switch into a resistance to force a switch, Power Up Punch for an attack boost then have the option to U-Turn out for some nice damage or Water Shuriken if they're faster than.

I could see the Breloom set working since Low Sweep was "buffed."
Power-Up Punch ends up hitting for slightly less than Low Sweep, though, even taking Technician into account. So it'd only make sense if the secondary effect is that much better when Breloom really needs that Speed drop, and if it's even viable to run a weak Fighting move in that slot in the first place.

In theory I think it would be good on Mega-Mawile.

Due to pure power, I believe that it works effectively like a normal swords dance, but it also does damage. Due to Mega-Mawile's massive attack, I think it has potential to bet better then Swords Dance. However that is only in theory. I will test it out on my Mawile now. There are TMs for Swords Dance and Power Up Punch, there are no weird regulations that stop a pokemon from relearning the same moves over and over right?

In theory I think it would be good on Mega-Mawile.

Due to pure power, I believe that it works effectively like a normal swords dance, but it also does damage. Due to Mega-Mawile's massive attack, I think it has potential to bet better then Swords Dance. However that is only in theory. I will test it out on my Mawile now. There are TMs for Swords Dance and Power Up Punch, there are no weird regulations that stop a pokemon from relearning the same moves over and over right?
No. Huge Power normally sets Mawile's Attack to double its original. With one Power-Up Punch, the base would be increased by 50%, so you'd end up at triple the original, not quadruple like with Swords Dance.

It also cant be Taunted remember, in case you use something for boosting. Mon with 4 slot syndrome can benefit from a move that does some damage and coverage if theyd only have one STAB attack otherwise. Trevenant for example has great support moves, and really benefits from the boost to go along with its STAB Horn Leech

Not many people are playing this move up, so i'm gonna say it: this move is better then swords dance.

Sure its only 1 boost instead of 2, but you attack. It keeps you on the offensive and momentum in your favor. Sure there's moments when you can afford to use swords dance and leave yourself wide open for attack, but I guess Im a kind of battler that sees every turn as precious/a opportunity to knock out your opponent.

This gives a boost and fights back, whats not to like?

I think this move is fantastic, sure it doesn't give +2 boost like Swords Dance, but if it did, I'd almost say for certain this move would be broken as garbage. That means with one Power-up Punch (or two if you count parental bond) on Mega Kangaskahn alone if it gave +2 boost, Kangaskahn would be at +4. If you have a Sub down... That's crazy. So I think in the long run we should be glad it only gives a +1 boosts, and allows whatever is using it to keep momentum.

Well it is essentially a physical charge beam that is fighting type instead of electric. In theory it can be great on the right Pokemon. People just need to be smart on who to put it on. And as others have said, mega kangaskan and technician breloom are great users of this

We'll it is essentially a physical charge beam that is fighting type instead of electric. In theory it can be great on the right Pokemon. People just need to be smart on who to put it on. And as others have said, mega kangaskan and technician breloom are great users of this
What you think of Mega Lucario viability?

Well it is essentially a physical charge beam that is fighting type instead of electric. In theory it can be great on the right Pokemon. People just need to be smart on who to put it on. And as others have said, mega kangaskan and technician breloom are great users of this
Unlike charge beam it is 100% each turn. Whoever said it before is right, it's like an attacking dragon dance on Blaziken, and Breloom will miss priority from Mach but using this instead of SD will allow it another move whether that be a Sub or a covering move. After two of these its attack will be awesome. I personally like it and may be able to see some good uses for it.

I was planning to put this on my Defensive Chesnaught

Spiky Shield
Leech Seed
Power Up Punch
Seed Bomb

Attach leftovers and you become quite bult, and slowly get strong and stronger.

Spore, power up punch, bullet seed, Mach punch is possible once his counters are taken care of maybe? Priority is too important on him lol

Power-Up Punch ends up hitting for slightly less than Low Sweep, though, even taking Technician into account. So it'd only make sense if the secondary effect is that much better when Breloom really needs that Speed drop, and if it's even viable to run a weak Fighting move in that slot in the first place.
Breloom can get Sticky Web support now though so Power-Up-Punch might see some use over SD. Of course a lot of things low sweep's speed drop was in important on are immune to Sticky Web so its kinda meh.

The real use for this move on Breloom would seem to be weakening counters/checks on the switch in getting a boost then possibly KOing after, or simply KOing weakened targets for the boost and not having to take damage/status while SDing.

I love how this thread keeps going back and forth on this being the worst move in existence and the best move in existence.

I'm a bit torn but I'm slowly being won over to this being a really good move overall.

I was planning to put this on my Defensive Chesnaught

Spiky Shield
Leech Seed
Power Up Punch
Seed Bomb

Attach leftovers and you become quite bult, and slowly get strong and stronger.
Assault Vest could be an option too since Chesnaught is already bulky on the Physical side.
It would be a different set though.

Rampardos gets P-u-p too but its hard to imagine it being used effectively.
Maybe on Rock Polish set with EdgeQuake as a way to pick off death-fodder and quad-weaks while gaining a boost.
It's a long shot.

Assault Vest could be an option too since Chesnaught is already bulky on the Physical side.
It would be a different set though.

Rampardos gets P-u-p too but its hard to imagine it being used effectively.
Maybe on Rock Polish set with EdgeQuake as a way to pick off death-fodder and quad-weaks while gaining a boost.
It's a long shot.
I would have to be an all out attacker if I use assault vest since it makes you perma taunted.

Could this work with Assault Vest on Pangoro? I get that it's probably hard to justify using Pangoro for anything other than parting shot, but something like

Power-up punch
Crunch / Payback
Hammer Arm / Sky Uppercut
Poison Jab (fairies)

Since he is 4x weak to fairies having a SpDef boost would be nice to maybe let him survive Dazzling Gleam/Moonblast, and even at his speed he still aught to be faster than anyone running Play Rough (I think). Might at least be usable as an offensive set under trick room. It's just too bad Poison Jab doesn't get boosted by Iron Fist, unless that changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)